Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I was gifted one of those second hand too. It lasted one session of being lovely and hard to work with before being kicked to the curb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It worked fine for the like three hours total I've run it, until it didn't. Honestly I'm not planning to spend big money on the next one when I do need it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Recommend finding something with better pressure control if you find yourself, like I did, having to hose out 12 cubic feet of human poo poo

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Jaded Burnout posted:

Recommend finding something with better pressure control if you find yourself, like I did, having to hose out 12 cubic feet of human poo poo

What were you doing in Steve Bannon's bedroom?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

This thread is for mechanical failures, not political ones.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I posted this over in CA but I think it'll be funny here too. Can you guess the mother casting that birthed this little bundle of joy?

XR200R RH crankcase, crank bearing pocket

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

TotalLossBrain posted:

What were you doing in Steve Bannon's bedroom?

:laffo:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://i.imgur.com/7PcVaEH.gifv

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Mustang saw spectators, natural instincts kicked in?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

IPCRESS posted:

Mustang saw spectators, natural instincts kicked in?

I think those are Ferraris.

Which raises the question, was it also on fire?

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Bajaha posted:

They are! Due to the relative ease and speed of stealing them due to not necessitating opening the hood, high value / quality, and apparently being a decent grow light for your other enterprise.

Is the latch that easy to break on them? I remember the 996 (and a lot of other VAG vehicles) has the same exact release mechanism and it wasn't ever a theft problem. They were a little finnicky to get back in properly, though, is that what makes them easy to steal? Hey everybody, learn to install headlights!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Yeah, given Tesla's overall QC, I have to wonder if they bothered to take the operating range of, y'know, all the temperatures of just the North American continent into account.

Maybe they did. Maybe I'm not being charitable enough.

I have been in an environmental test house with Tesla engineers (Quantas in SJ) so I'm gonna say they do. I'd be perfectly okay with a GFRP suspension part. If you have this much issue with stressed, safety critical composites, I'd suggest you don't fly.

bull3964 posted:

Though, you have that issue with traditional manufacturers as well.

How many corrosion related issues have popped up over the years due to manufacturers forgetting that cars spend 1/4th to 1/2th the year bathed in brine?

My 2002 WRX had a control arm recall due to that and my 2011 WRX had a brake line recall over it.

THIS. I can recall at least a few welded-box control arms I've seen where theres cracks along the welded that pass right through pits or rust.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 1, 2018

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Another one, I did the brakes on my wife's Volvo, surprisingly the focus-based S40 wasn't the main failure but the CV boot had popped off at the big end. No damage and I repacked it and replaced the clamp ring but the mating-ends of the clamp were bent apart. Best guess a rock nailed it at just the right point to weaken the clamp which slipped off.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CarForumPoster posted:

If you have this much issue with stressed, safety critical composites, I'd suggest you don't fly.

:boom:

Of all the things on my 3 that I’m worried about giving me issues, the plastic A arms are pretty loving far down the list.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I don't think it's the composite itself we're having the issue with, it's the competence/reputation of Tesla engineers that we're questioning and their ability to have properly designed the part taking in the full range of climates it may operate in and the stresses it'll be experiencing, especially considering that other well established automakers haven't done this style of suspension component out of similar materials which leads us to believe there's a reason for that.

Either durability, manufacturability, lack of engineering resources for development, cost/benefit, or some other unknown. With a 15% reduction in weight vs a conventionally constructed control arm, I would have expected to see similar parts at least on high end halo cars where cost is less of an issue and absolute performance / dick waving is the goal.

As far as I'm aware this is a first in this application so I'm skeptical that Tesla got it right right out of the gate, myself and others are just voicing our concerns. I personally have more confidence in the aerospace sector to have thoroughly tested and proved a design before implementing it in production than from a tech company masquerading as an automotive manufacturer.

There, that's a little but less MUH METAL :argh:

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

CarForumPoster posted:

I have been in an environmental test house with Tesla engineers (Quantas in SJ) so I'm gonna say they do. I'd be perfectly okay with a GFRP suspension part. If you have this much issue with stressed, safety critical composites, I'd suggest you don't fly.

Comparing aerospace QC/supply chain to Tesla QC/supply chain is kind of disingenuous though. ;)

Or, really, what Bajaha said. I know Tesla is doing things well with the battery/drivetrain side, but I'm fundamentally skeptical of the idea that they're beating established automakers at their own game on the parts of the car that are just traditional car stuff.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Comin' in juuuust a little hot. Did he even *try* to slow down?
I'm thinking someone isn't familiar with the track.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Darchangel posted:

Comin' in juuuust a little hot. Did he even *try* to slow down?
I'm thinking someone isn't familiar with the track.

"I see this all the time on F1! You just brake late and you can cut the inside! Easy peaassyyyy ohhh fuuuuuuuuuck"

I like how red car slows down and starts a u-turn to go help right on corner exit so if anyone else fucks up his car is gonna get demolished.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.
That is a textbook brake failure.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Savington posted:

That is a textbook brake failure.

Textbooks shouldn't be used as brakes.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Or, more likely, driver failure.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

What An On-Track Massive Brake Failure Looks Like

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So not only does the Ferrari stop right in the line of fire, they get out of their car to run right towards where an out of control car just flew into a wall on a live race track.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

So not only does the Ferrari stop right in the line of fire, they get out of their car to run right towards where an out of control car just flew into a wall on a live race track.

No one ever claimed Ferrari owners were particularly smart.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Even though its a plane sound, I have the last several moments of "On The Run" by Pink Floyd going through my head, culminating in the car hitting the wall.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Actual failure or a Toyota/Audi type failure?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Regarding brake failures, this one will forever be my favorite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGuzVk0HTsU

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 2, 2018

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Beach Bum posted:

this is awesome, saving your own rear end from possible death always feels good.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Those are some flat spotted tires I'd replace with a poo poo-eating grin on my face.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

No one ever claimed Ferrari owners were particularly smart.
More realistically he's going to check on the other driver but you do you

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

More realistically he's going to check on the other driver but you do you

We all know that. The discussion was about where he parked, not what he was doing.

You do you, though.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

where he parked, not what he was doing.
aight

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Beach Bum posted:

That was amazing.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Beach Bum posted:

YOU SAVED IT! YOU MOTHERFUCKER!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

From reddit. A skidsteer apparently.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

From reddit. A skidsteer apparently.

You can't fool us, that's obviously a Dalí painting.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
One day, someone will invent an operator who understands If Me Hear Bad Noise, Me Stop Machine Now.

That day is not today.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

InitialDave posted:

One day, someone will invent an operator who understands If Me Hear Bad Noise, Me Stop Machine Now.

That day is not today.

A lot of times its Boss: "finish the job, we'll deal with it later".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If you hear bad noise the damage is kinda done though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Data Graham posted:

If you hear bad noise the damage is kinda done though.

Yes and no, bad noise usually means the damage is done to component A, but continuing to use it often leads to damage to components B, C, D, and E before the whole thing just stops working.