Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

The 737 wouldn't make it obvious that hes special everytime he takes off and lands.

On the other hand a combi 737 might actually legitimately be useful for humanitarian work.

And let the impure sully the lords blessed chariot? Or, heaven forbid, haul freight? The lord weeps with mercy but even he has limits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

On the other hand a combi 737 might actually legitimately be useful for humanitarian work.

You've failed to grasp the subtlties of the Prosperity Gospel, I see.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Jonny Nox posted:

You've failed to grasp the subtlties of the Prosperity Gospel, I see.

It’s a great humanitarian act to give a preacher a kick rear end airplane

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Welp, I’m hard.

simble
May 11, 2004

Running those engines with the tow bar attached is making me very nervous.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

simble posted:

Running those engines with the tow bar attached is making me very nervous.

I'm the cargo strap holding the right side tire to the tie-down point.

E:

Have I told you yet today how much I appreciate your esoteric contributions to this thread?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Minimum flight regulations? pfft. balloons don't give a poo poo, they buzz all the houses every morning.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

drunkill posted:

Minimum flight regulations? pfft. balloons don't give a poo poo, they buzz all the houses every morning.

The regulations for balloons are the same, but a little more liberty is taken with the "except for the purposes of takeoff and landing" because any maneuvering effects where we'll land.

I've had days where I had to drag the basket through 10+ trees in order to get back to the right side of a river to be picked up (of course that was in the middle of nowhere in Kenya, people in cities get upset if you come through their trees.)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

St_Ides posted:

The regulations for balloons are the same, but a little more liberty is taken with the "except for the purposes of takeoff and landing" because any maneuvering effects where we'll land.

I've had days where I had to drag the basket through 10+ trees in order to get back to the right side of a river to be picked up (of course that was in the middle of nowhere in Kenya, people in cities get upset if you come through their trees.)

I feel like if there's anyone in this thread with amazing stories, it's the commercial balloon pilot who worked/works in Africa.

:v:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I almost got hit by a balloon once (newspaper photographer, so allowed inside the safety zone at the balloon race, which is more of a "drop a sandbag as close to the X as you can" sort of contest, and they get real low to ensure accuracy, which has the side effect of making them real fast when skimming the grass and pouring on the propane to pull up.)

As for the preacher's private jet, if I had people willing to literally throw money at me and the conviction that a deity wanted me to be able to travel nonstop anywhere in the world, I'm sure some ... okay, I was going to make a joke about buying a 747SP used and getting a lot more bang for your buck, but a) this guy is the type that has to have the newest hottest poo poo even if it's bad value for the money, and b) pretty sure all the surviving SPs are owned by dirty [insert slur for Muslims here].

As for the 737 BBJ, unless the -9 tripled the gas mileage, pretty sure it can't do what he wants, I looked at the BBJ sales site once. The 777 BBJ with optional extra fuel tanks can get you anywhere except maybe Pitcairn Island from anywhere in CONUS, the 737 is extremely short-legged by comparison, and I have a hard time believing a bizjet is much better than a 737.

To Wikipedia! Yeah the second line of the Falcon 7x article is that the 8 has more fuel and a range of 6,450 nmi, the longest-legged 737 (600 series) is just over half that (okay, that is surprising, do the French have the jet equivalent of the mythical 100mpg carburetor?), the 747SP can go almost as far as the ridiculously long-legged French bizjet (5,830 nmi) but is a flying loving palace, and the 777 BBJ -- yes, they sell it if you have the money, hooray capitalism, if you have to ask you can't afford it -- can just about actually go anywhere from anywhere else -- 8,555 nmi, again in a widebody palace. Circumference of the earth is 21,639 nautical miles. Yeah, the heavies burn a lot more fuel in absolute terms, but do you even care about the fuel bill at that point? Tell your followers God told you to ask them for gas money.

So not only is the preacher a scamming rear end in a top hat, he's lying about the capabilities of the jet he's asking his followers to buy for him.

There is a very small area around the Antipodes (the point exactly opposite your starting location on the globe) that a 777LR can't reach on one load of gas, and that alone deserves mention in this thread. From anywhere in the US, the places you can't get to in a 777-200LR include the literal middle of nowhere and maybe the southern-hemishpere equivalent of West Virginia but even more inbred and a LOT more rapey (it's been awhile since I've seen the range charts, but either way, even if you did want to go to Pitcairn you'd have to get a connection from NZ because a 777's landing/takeoff distance is as long as the drat rock, nevermind the actual runway)
Edit: they don't actually have an airstrip of any kind. You have to fly to NZ and take a boat.

Edit: I would've edited in screencaps of the places you can't get to from DFW in a 777-200LR and 747-8, but they don't have 'em on the BBJ site anymore. Like I said, it's been awhile.

(also apparently the 737-8 BBJ doubled the mileage of the stock version, I guess if you're just carrying a VIP and entourage instead of a full cattle-car load, you will get more MPG/carry more fuel. But still, even that is barely more than the magical French bizjet, or maybe the same -- 7000 miles is the number on Boeing's website selling the things, so probably using statute miles to pad the number.)

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 1, 2018

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Just a friendly reminder to the Danish and Scandinavian goons that the Danish Air Show is next Sunday - and also to check out the Robin Olds-looking dude in the video on the homepage: https://danishairshow.dk/

e: Ooh, Patrouille Suisse are coming, are they any good? Last time, the Turkish show team was there in their F-5s and they were excellent.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Chillbro Baggins posted:

To Wikipedia! Yeah the second line of the Falcon 7x article is that the 8 has more fuel and a range of 6,450 nmi, the longest-legged 737 (600 series) is just over half that (okay, that is surprising, do the French have the jet equivalent of the mythical 100mpg carburetor?)

It would be the Canadians who have it, since the engines are from P&W Canada. Safran has troubles getting into the bizjet engine niche, with the Silvercrest running into trouble after trouble.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Dannywilson posted:

Have I told you yet today how much I appreciate your esoteric contributions to this thread?

Thank you, friend. I do what I must because I can

In the insanely awesome dangerous chemistry thread I did a post on hydrogen airships to try and contribute. One little detail I found out about World War 1 balloons is that they were very hard targets; to the point that until incendiary bullets were developed, only the very best pilots would try to shoot them down.

quote:

Every side also used hydrogen balloons for observation on the western front. These were tethered one-man observation platforms, and in something of an irony, were probably the safest aircraft of World War 1. Balloons carried wireless telegraphs, binoculars, and cameras, and could not only observe but correct artillery fire. They were very important, and thus heavily defended. They typically were suspended about a kilometer above the ground, and were guarded by: a heavy anti-aircraft gun presence, other guys in balloons with machine guns, stringing cables in the air with a web of barrage balloons, standing air patrols over the balloons, decoy observer balloons booby-trapped with explosives detonated from the ground, and the explosive nature of a hydrogen balloon itself, especially considering that without incendiary ammo, attacks were only effective at extremely close range. While the war produced ‘balloon-aces’, only the best dared attack. Getting back to safety for a moment, the balloon observer was the only WW1 aviator who had a parachute. WW1 parachutes were bulky, but the balloon could be rigged to assist parachute deployment. I’ve also read that entire baskets were rigged to be detachable, so in the event of an attack, the basket would drop and deploy its own chute.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

N O P E

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Chillbro Baggins posted:

So not only is the preacher a scamming rear end in a top hat, he's lying about the capabilities of the jet he's asking his followers to buy for him.

He's not lying if you read into his statement. "Anywhere in the world with a single stop."

I interpret that as allotting for a single stop to refuel. And I was using the stats for the new 737 MAX 7 BBJ.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Chillbro Baggins posted:

As for the preacher's private jet, if I had people willing to literally throw money at me and the conviction that a deity wanted me to be able to travel nonstop anywhere in the world, I'm sure some ... okay, I was going to make a joke about buying a 747SP used and getting a lot more bang for your buck, but a) this guy is the type that has to have the newest hottest poo poo even if it's bad value for the money, and b) pretty sure all the surviving SPs are owned by dirty [insert slur for Muslims here].

As for the 737 BBJ, unless the -9 tripled the gas mileage, pretty sure it can't do what he wants, I looked at the BBJ sales site once. The 777 BBJ with optional extra fuel tanks can get you anywhere except maybe Pitcairn Island from anywhere in CONUS, the 737 is extremely short-legged by comparison, and I have a hard time believing a bizjet is much better than a 737.

To Wikipedia! Yeah the second line of the Falcon 7x article is that the 8 has more fuel and a range of 6,450 nmi, the longest-legged 737 (600 series) is just over half that (okay, that is surprising, do the French have the jet equivalent of the mythical 100mpg carburetor?), the 747SP can go almost as far as the ridiculously long-legged French bizjet (5,830 nmi) but is a flying loving palace, and the 777 BBJ -- yes, they sell it if you have the money, hooray capitalism, if you have to ask you can't afford it -- can just about actually go anywhere from anywhere else -- 8,555 nmi, again in a widebody palace. Circumference of the earth is 21,639 nautical miles. Yeah, the heavies burn a lot more fuel in absolute terms, but do you even care about the fuel bill at that point? Tell your followers God told you to ask them for gas money.

Ernest Angley already beat this rear end in a top hat to the 747SP punch.

You seem to be using standard 737 range numbers instead of BBJ figures. All true BBJ's have a number of aux fuel tanks installed to get significant range increases and the old-school BBJ's had up to 11 aux tanks. I flew a couple of different tails that had 7 and 9 tanks. I once did a Moscow Vnukovo to Mauritius leg in the 7-tank model which is 5370nm and did it in a little more than 12 hours (and this was not a max range flight). The 9-tank model had maybe another 500nm in range. I'm not sure an 11-tank model was ever produced, since that took up 100% of the underfloor space and left zero space for bags and cargo.

The 7-tank BBJ I flew:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
God should will him to restore a B-58 back to flying condition.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

ausgezeichnet posted:

You seem to be using standard 737 range numbers instead of BBJ figures. All true BBJ's have a number of aux fuel tanks installed to get significant range increases and the old-school BBJ's had up to 11 aux tanks. I flew a couple of different tails that had 7 and 9 tanks. I once did a Moscow Vnukovo to Mauritius leg in the 7-tank model which is 5370nm and did it in a little more than 12 hours (and this was not a max range flight). The 9-tank model had maybe another 500nm in range. I'm not sure an 11-tank model was ever produced, since that took up 100% of the underfloor space and left zero space for bags and cargo.

The 7-tank BBJ I flew:

Seeing that thing at CAK is always weird.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

ausgezeichnet posted:

Can we talk for a sec about the text on the side of that 747? I mean... :confused:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

ausgezeichnet posted:

The 7-tank BBJ I flew:

Coulda sworn I edited before posting after looking up the BBJ-model 737, but hey, you flew 'em, I'm just making jokes from what the internet tells me, maybe I accidentally left in the cattle-car range number or maybe my source was wrong. Either way, thanks for the correction.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'm not terribly optimistic about this
https://twitter.com/TomCruise/status/1002062865971499008

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

In a realistic setting, most of the Top Gun sequel would be Super Hornets queuing up to tankers.

"Okay, everybody. We've only got ten minutes to bingo. Let's show these assholes how it's done!"

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I think it would be best if they were Super Hornets fueling other Super Hornets, with Maverick flying the gas station.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
If Maverick doesn't bitch about the Tomcat being retired I want no part of that film.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Uhhhh. I first saw that on ATC memes and thought it was a joke. Well at least it's better than drones.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

ausgezeichnet posted:

Is that the one that's grounded because it's a complete death-trap that is literally being held together by sheet metal off-cuts and prayer?

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
No, that K.A Pauls "Global Peace Ambassadors" 747. It's parked up at Tijuana international.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Speaking of, have I posted this before:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Is that a fuselage repurposed as a gondola? I hope?

(you should post this in the OSHA thread, along with the motor gondola jack-in-the-box pic)

RE: shooting down balloons: was it you that posted the great article that detailed how the pilots/armourers in WWI finally figured out the proper mix of standard ammo & incendiary rounds in a belt to light up a balloon/semirigid reliably?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

PainterofCrap posted:

Is that a fuselage repurposed as a gondola? I hope?

(you should post this in the OSHA thread, along with the motor gondola jack-in-the-box pic)

RE: shooting down balloons: was it you that posted the great article that detailed how the pilots/armourers in WWI finally figured out the proper mix of standard ammo & incendiary rounds in a belt to light up a balloon/semirigid reliably?

No, that wasn't me. Sounds interesting through!

Small SS class blimps used aircraft fuselages without wings as a economy/time saving measure and they worked reasonably well

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 2, 2018

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Nebakenezzer posted:

No, that wasn't me. Sounds interesting through!

Small SS class blimps used aircraft fuselages without wings as a economy/time saving measure and they worked reasonably well

I can't find the article, but a quick search reveals that the problem was that a standard incediary round would light & go out before it could create a big enough hole in the envelope to admit enough air (oxygen) to permit the hydrogen to burn. It was solved by engineer John Buckingham, who invented an incendiary .303 round that would trail phosphorus throughout its trajectory.

https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t/303-buckingham-cartridge/12186

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Nebakenezzer posted:

Speaking of, have I posted this before:

What's that tube?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

simplefish posted:

What's that tube?

The opening for the ballonet. Blimps get their shape through the shape of the envelope and pressure, so to keep the shape optimal, at the center of a blimp is a balloonet, which is a air chamber that can expand or contract to keep the lifting gas at the proper pressure to keep the envelope shape.

PS> where the hell is the OSHA thread

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

simplefish posted:

What's that tube?

Propwash recovery duct.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

PS> where the hell is the OSHA thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763899

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I find it hilarious that they're using the f18 and not the f35

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
If you want it to be navy and feature real world shots, it really can’t be the F-35C. It’s farthest behind all the F-35 models in getting into operational status and isn’t available for significant filming time/maneuvers.

At the time of Top Gun first being released, the F-18 was the newest naval fighter plane, and IIRC the F-14 was closer then to retirement than the Super Hornets are now.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

jaegerx posted:

I find it hilarious that they're using the f18 and not the f35

LockMart probably can't spare the resources, and my guess is they want to use the real thing as much as possible, like the last film. It'd also make sense to have "Mav" in a Hornet, since even if he's an O-6 (bird on his shoulder), I doubt they could justify transition training for a guy that close to retirement when he's already qualified on an operational airframe.

The F-35 just...isn't a sexy plane, either. There are only a few photogenic angles.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 2, 2018

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

They could have used it as a propaganda tool to get people to like the Jerkoff poo poo Fighter a little better, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The F-35 just...isn't a sexy plane, either. There are only a few photogenic angles.

Particularly the -C model. The -A is okay looking but the -C just has really bad proportions.

F-35A

F-35C

But more importantly, Top Gun is all about two guys bantering in a plane. The F/A-18 still has a two-seat model. The F-35 does not.