Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

cinci zoo sniper posted:

who's fault is it that you're bad with computers

Probably the same person that made you bad at posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lambert posted:

Probably the same person that made you bad at posting.

ah, so a direct admission

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
What's the best way to get a "Sevenish" experience on 10? Because poo poo breaks (and MS literally colluded with loving Intel to spike new hardware working on 7, motherfuckers) so I'll probably need to get another Windows machine at some point in the next 40-50 years. And I like 7 a whole lot more than I liked 10 when I tried it or XP when I remember it. So yeah.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

What's the best way to get a "Sevenish" experience on 10? Because poo poo breaks (and MS literally colluded with loving Intel to spike new hardware working on 7, motherfuckers) so I'll probably need to get another Windows machine at some point in the next 40-50 years. And I like 7 a whole lot more than I liked 10 when I tried it or XP when I remember it. So yeah.

uninstall 10 and install 7

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

alternatively: deal with it

yes this is the choice you get: It's not a choice, sincerely yours whoever is at the helm at microsoft windows division

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

i use two different computers at work one on 7 and one on 10 and i cant imagine why anyone would prefer 7

i mean yeah windows is trash and bad but 10 is def. less bad than it was

ofc i also have an it department removing all of the garbage so ymmv (for instance my start menu is just a black stripe with nothing on it at all and all modern apps are disabled)

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Saying it again: Alarms & Clock is great, use it every day. UWP redeemed.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

LastInLine posted:

i use two different computers at work one on 7 and one on 10 and i cant imagine why anyone would prefer 7

i mean yeah windows is trash and bad but 10 is def. less bad than it was

ofc i also have an it department removing all of the garbage so ymmv (for instance my start menu is just a black stripe with nothing on it at all and all modern apps are disabled)

mine is the same and i have myself reading text near settings options

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

might as well ask here since it just came up and ive been wondering about it

what is it about computer touchers in particular that make them so allergic to changes?

like i get that nobody likes changes in general and it gets worse as you get older (and figure out that most change isnt for the better) but it seems really acute with computer people. whether its going out of your way to stay on a decade old os or deciding youre going to organize your music by folder structure and use foobar instead of being normal it seems like its always computer people fighting the future full bore dying on hills that simply make no sense at all

i mean i get that some things change for the worse but some things change for the better and usually that thing you think is worse isnt really worse its just different

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

LastInLine posted:

what is it about computer touchers in particular that make them so allergic to changes?

like i get that nobody likes changes in general and it gets worse as you get older (and figure out that most change isnt for the better) but it seems really acute with computer people. whether its going out of your way to stay on a decade old os or deciding youre going to organize your music by folder structure and use foobar instead of being normal it seems like its always computer people fighting the future full bore dying on hills that simply make no sense at all

i mean i get that some things change for the worse but some things change for the better and usually that thing you think is worse isnt really worse its just different

you have to be dumb to touch computers

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Lambert posted:

Plenty of ads even with Pro. After a fresh install, the start menu is littered with ads for apps and Cortana will bug you regularly to entice you to use it (or connect Spotify to Cortana). And Explorer will bug you about upgrading to a paid OneDrive storage plan if you use it. The lock screen will present ads for new games.

yeah idk i guess i musta opted out or something because i have never seen a single ad ever. however turns out i havent actually upgraded to 1803 yet so brb

edit: ok yeah still nothing. im using full-screen start menu if that matters? otherwise i guess you're doing it wrong

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jun 1, 2018

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Do you have a suggested app in your start menu? That's an ad

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

LastInLine posted:

autistics tend to have the hardest time dealing with change.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

Do you have a suggested app in your start menu? That's an ad

ive never seen any suggested apps in my start menu.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

lucky bugger

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

cheese-cube posted:

ive never seen any suggested apps in my start menu.

same, my Mac doesn’t do this

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Computer touchers have giant egos and actually want to be the ones making the changes and not the ones having changes made for them.

Joke's on you, we're all the end users.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

my new job uses windows :cry:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
congrats on getting an adult job.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

windows is slowly transitioning into linux... sorry for your loss..

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

its gross and terrible and the start menu takes up the entire screen what the gently caress

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

full screen start menu owns. nice big buttons so you can launch your poo poo, just pin your poo poo and then you can slap winkey and click your app.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

El Mero Mero posted:

Computer touchers have giant egos and actually want to be the ones making the changes and not the ones having changes made for them.

Joke's on you, we're all the end users.

nerds still expect all software to be made expressly for them and if it's not they have a meltdown. see also the favorite argument "it should be an option"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

cheese-cube posted:

full screen start menu owns. nice big buttons so you can launch your poo poo, just pin your poo poo and then you can slap winkey and click your app.

id prefer not to click anything tbh

been trying to wake up that decades unused muscle memory for shortcuts

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

computer touchers know how the computer works and expect it to keep working the same way unless there's a drat good reason for it to change and the end result is a blatantly obvious improvement

non-computer touchers find their computers to be a confusing threatening incomprehensible mess, so if everything changes for no loving reason, well, that's just computers being computers, they didn't understand how it worked before, they don't understand how it works now, and its all the same to them

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

pseudorandom name posted:

computer touchers know how the computer works and expect it to keep working the same way unless there's a drat good reason for it to change and the end result is a blatantly obvious improvement

non-computer touchers find their computers to be a confusing threatening incomprehensible mess, so if everything changes for no loving reason, well, that's just computers being computers, they didn't understand how it worked before, they don't understand how it works now, and its all the same to them

this

also computers are for doing repetitive tasks, not making the user or IT people do them

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Last Chance posted:

windows is slowly transitioning into linux... sorry for your loss..

so when are they releasing Microsoft access and all that other value added office stuff for Mac OS, the best Linux

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
if you're very lucky, never

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

didn't some mmo get into trouble with violating labor laws when they "hired" volunteer GMs or some such?

wait, trump is president, nevermind

while Obama was president, Silicon Valley execs were at the White every day, and one of Steve Jobs’ last holy deeds on this planet was trying to lower the cost of labour with the Obama administration (which is why Allah killed him)

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Lol if you think you know what an improvement is (marketing and sales will decide that thankyouverymuch)

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

aka don't fix what aint broke

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

LastInLine posted:

a u t i s m

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

reminder that microsoft stuck the shutdown button two levels deep behind the new well hidden "charms bar" in windows 8 and most users could no longer figure out how to even turn off their computers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGIrDXstAn4

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
The people responsible for Win8 have been sacked. The people responsible for hiring the people responsible for Win8 have been sacked.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
osx has been pretty consistent for the past decades and that works for me and suits my needs

pram
Jun 10, 2001

r u ready to WALK posted:

reminder that microsoft stuck the shutdown button two levels deep behind the new well hidden "charms bar" in windows 8 and most users could no longer figure out how to even turn off their computers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGIrDXstAn4

lol such trash

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it should be added that the given procedure doesn't shut down either, it kills userspace and hibernates the kernel. it is far trickier to figure out how to actually shut down

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

pram posted:

osx has been pretty consistent for the past decades and that works for me and suits my needs

agreed, it's kind of sad that apple hasn't made any noteworthy improvements over the last decade

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it should be added that the given procedure doesn't shut down either, it kills userspace and hibernates the kernel. it is far trickier to figure out how to actually shut down

far trickier in this context means holding shift

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

im gonna delete the windows next week idgaf if i get fired