Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

fun article. the Nintendo fan fires do not need more stoking for Mother 3, that's the rumour that will never die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

If you recall, about a year ago CIG said it was too difficult to customize character height and weight because of potential clipping issues. Now, they realize that models of any shape or size are going to have clipping issues anyway, so gently caress it

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

So they're doing fat blokes but have yet to show any signs of female playable character models. I guess they figured their backers would want something they can identify with.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ModernSociety posted:

So they're doing fat blokes but have yet to show any signs of female playable character models. I guess they figured their backers would want something they can identify with.

They are just using the fat blokes to test boob bounce 1.0.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Beet Wagon posted:

also, RE: "ship grind theorycrafting" the geniuses at reddit cooked this thread up:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/8ngxo8/speculation_on_ship_ingame_uec_prices_version_2/

I'm trying to follow their logic here, but it looks like they're assuming

A) $1 = 1000 UEC will still hold true
B) Ships will increase in price about threefold by launch
C) You will still be able to earn a Constellation in about 60 hours of playtime (per some loving thing Chris said three years ago)
D) Cameron Wilkie's speculation that the Polaris will be 20-30 million UEC was wrong

There's a bunch of flaws in this model, including assuming CIG's final "in-game" pricing model is going to be tied to reality in any way, so we might as well be throwing chicken bones around and trying to read them, but if we take those numbers at face value that means an Idris is going to cost you around 600 hours of play time lol. That's more than double the time I've put into MWO even when I used to play it every day and occasionally leave it running overnight by accident.

That might even be more than my total time put into WoW honestly.

All MMO economies follow a similar path. Once people can exchange their time to earn this poo poo the value of currency and items will both drop because plenty of people place no value on their infinite amounts of free time.

Add to that 186,000,000,000 UEC of assets being presold, so that UEC no longer needs to be spent and is now an unspent surplus that can be used to buy things people want. (Hey backers, this is called hyperinflation, as 100,000 UEC buys you one common space rock and has a real value of 1 penny instead of $100. This also makes your $1000 autism chariot worth $10 at best)

It's delusions inside delusions, delusinception, to think that this game will somehow release and also all of the assets become more valuable as the currency also becomes more valuable going against every digital or real world economic system that has ever existed.

I'm willing to admit for the sake of an argument that some type of game called "Star Citizen" might release some day but it's a step to far to also claim that it will also come complete with the universes most perfect economic construct.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 1, 2018

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

Dogeh posted:

Yeah...I had a similar problem with DoDS

You're my kinda guy

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beet Wagon posted:

also, RE: "ship grind theorycrafting" the geniuses at reddit cooked this thread up:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/8ngxo8/speculation_on_ship_ingame_uec_prices_version_2/

I'm trying to follow their logic here, but it looks like they're assuming

A) $1 = 1000 UEC will still hold true
B) Ships will increase in price about threefold by launch
C) You will still be able to earn a Constellation in about 60 hours of playtime (per some loving thing Chris said three years ago)
D) Cameron Wilkie's speculation that the Polaris will be 20-30 million UEC was wrong

There's a bunch of flaws in this model, including assuming CIG's final "in-game" pricing model is going to be tied to reality in any way, so we might as well be throwing chicken bones around and trying to read them, but if we take those numbers at face value that means an Idris is going to cost you around 600 hours of play time lol. That's more than double the time I've put into MWO even when I used to play it every day and occasionally leave it running overnight by accident.

That might even be more than my total time put into WoW honestly.

Did they factor in the inevitable Elite: Dangerous style credit glitches where everyone who gets on the bandwagon becomes an overnight billionaire and never has to work to earn spaceships again? Because LOL if you think those aren't inevitable in a CIG-run economy.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Dogeh posted:

Those are baby numbers my dudes.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
fyi. "Cultist simulator" is 10% off on Steam. ............................. OR you could just visit Reddit?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

spacetoaster posted:

I wonder what Ben thinks he's going to on "the mat".

https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/999783297197756417

He's talking about his peniculus, duh.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

I have a couple games in the triple digits, one of which is Elite. The funny part there is that it's only in triple digits because I forget to close the launcher when I'm done, and so it "plays" for days on end lol.

I'm assuming that's the Steam numbers. You can see your actual played time in the stats page (right-hand panel) in-game.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Quavers fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jun 1, 2018

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Very insightful commentary.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

G0RF posted:

POLYGON: The biggest rumors of E3 2018

Polygon goes against conventional wisdom and bets on a surprise “Starfield” showing at E3. Don’t they know there is no Starfield?!? It was a misdirect from the very beginning, a sneak level 100 trick on Hines’ and Howard’s part to conceal Elder Scrolls 6!

I saw it in a YouTube video and know it to be true!

(That said, if they surprise with a Starfield mention or more then I win a bet... )

E3 will be awesome regardless because of da games!

Haven’t you learned anything from your relentless building up of Mass Effect Andromeda?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

EightAce posted:

fyi. "Cultist simulator" is 10% off on Steam. ............................. OR you could just visit Reddit?

Irony is that I just read an article on medium regarding some Tech Cult in Sedona. I wonder which divine tier Chris Roberts is in.

e: https://medium.com/@bescofield/tech-bro-guru-inside-the-sedona-cult-of-bentinho-massaro-a56314f830ef

no_recall fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jun 1, 2018

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

Awesome! posted:

i think the $40 packs are specifically "game+ship" but i have never actually looked so im just talking out my rear end

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen (from 2012)

Back then $30 got me: "DIGITAL SCOUT: A digital copy of the finished game for your PC with your RSI Aurora spaceship ready to fly + 1,000 Galatic Credits + Exclusive access to the Alpha + Beta (digital tier, no physical rewards)" (The Aurora has LTI)

The Kickstarter page has aged well into some kind of lighthearted comedy if you backed back then!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Foo Diddley posted:

If you recall, about a year ago CIG said it was too difficult to customize character height and weight because of potential clipping issues. Now, they realize that models of any shape or size are going to have clipping issues anyway, so gently caress it

LOL, first guy getting downvoted for saying something kind of positive? They totally off their rockers over there now?

Unless its for the dreamcrafting, but that's never got people downvoted before.

"What i'd like is to be able to be a builder called Bob, and build people bases brick by brick, which people will sell to me having harvested the materials and made the bricks" - 10000 upvotes on SC reddit /s

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Dogeh posted:

Goat Simulator: 274 Hours

No, really.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBVkhXGX8iI&t=306s

10-4-The-Crobbears posted:

Question: In the long-range plans for development do you think there will ever be an opportunity for players to join the game without a ship package and take part in the ground activity, travel via shuttle/liner, take jobs on ship-owner-operator's crews? I think just letting those folks into the universe would win them over into the game as well. Perhaps even a guest account option?

Yep, that's a really good suggestion. It's actually something we've discussed that perhaps maybe instead of a trial period where someone gets to try out a ship, they can maybe enter the universe and then they can take a job for hire, or be hired by someone, and then if they want to migrate onto things like ship ownership then they would have to sort of pay their "ship license fee" - which would be your initial package to get into the game. So we sort of considered those structures for the longer-term stuff, and also like if you lose all your credits and you don't want to put more money in then of course you still should have ways that you can work for other people to earn enough money to get a ship back. And so we're going to have all of those mechanics in the game anyway, so I think long-term that's a potential way to maybe get some friends in, and get other people to play. Short term it's not gonna be there, but definitely I think our systems will allow it, so it is a pretty good idea.

But I think first off we'd want to get the game working for everyone that backed it, making sure it's all good, and then we could see about how it would get expanded.

:laugh:

Star Citizer: Crobbears didn't say it'd be F2P... oh poo poo, he did?!

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Rocket League: 600 hours
And I'm still poo poo at it :negative:

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...
Will my mech be able to gently caress other mechs??

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

Quavers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBVkhXGX8iI&t=306s

:laugh:

Star Citizer: Crobbears didn't say it'd be F2P... oh poo poo, he did?!

Day 1 of Star Citizen:

1.) Make F2P account.
2.) Join the crew of captain Samfreez's ship, The Punishing Consequence.
3.) Beat him to death with my mop 60 seconds after launch.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Quavers posted:

10-4-The-Crobbears posted: posted:

But I think first off we'd want to get the game working for everyone that backed it, making sure it's all good, and then we could see about how it would get expanded.

Get the game working eh? How's that working out Chris?

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Quavers posted:

Rocket League: 600 hours
And I'm still poo poo at it :negative:

1300 hours, 0 as a champ :negative:

PhallicPhalanges
Jun 9, 2015

Her navel is all time musky... Bt look at her face... Her face makes my ROD wakes

The Titanic posted:

Whew! She must be super busy being the VP of Marketing for a company and being an actress! I know my VP of marketing is on the phone constantly, setting up groups, helping people build out sales decks, answering endless questions, and preparing for new campaigns. Not to mention the endless amount of reports they both receive and generate is tremendous. They usually work all hours of the day and many weekends and most "vacations" are just "working at a different location".

She should write a book about how she manages al this stuff. Maybe call it "International Marketing" or something.

Also as an aside, in that cast picture she looks anything but youthful or beautiful, but that is just like, my opinion man. :chloe:

The key to being a good VP of marketing is to hire a firm that does all the marketing for you then take the credit.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Strawman posted:

1300 hours, 0 as a champ :negative:

Only like 300 hours, but still missing nearly every ball I jump in. Great fun though! One of the best games ever.

Wait....this is available on Switch? gently caress!!! There goes my freetime.....

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

Will my mech be able to gently caress other mechs??

You can do anything you want in the 'verse

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

tuo posted:

Only like 300 hours, but still missing nearly every ball I jump in. Great fun though! One of the best games ever.

Wait....this is available on Switch? gently caress!!! There goes my freetime.....

If you think you're bad now, wait til you play handheld.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Thirsty Dog posted:

Haven’t you learned anything from your relentless building up of Mass Effect Andromeda?

:lol:

I put too much stock in Shinobi and Co. on that one. But it was still Lazrin’s finest hour — so it wasn’t a total loss!

But Starfield... Starfield ain’t gonna let me down. It’s the amazing Space RPG that just might ruin everything, I just know it! I gots all kind of sources on that one — like “my gut tells me...” and “I saw this youtuber guy...” and “...there’s this thing I read...”

It’s 100% a sure bet! (For the guy betting against me. But what can I say? The heart wants what the heart wants! And when that happens, I get all Parappa the Rapper inside.)

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Hi Sandi & Chris :wave: get that Chinese language support in-game sharpish, there's milking to do! :homebrew:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Quavers posted:

Hi Sandi & Chris :wave: get that Chinese language support in-game sharpish, there's milking to do! :homebrew:

There's a joke here about the guy hired to make a "totally not just Chinese" language for the "totally not Chinese" turtle aliens.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

:lol:

I put too much stock in Shinobi and Co. on that one. But it was still Lazrin’s finest hour — so it wasn’t a total loss!

But Starfield... Starfield ain’t gonna let me down. It’s the amazing Space RPG that just might ruin everything, I just know it! I gots all kind of sources on that one — like “my gut tells me...” and “I saw this youtuber guy...” and “...there’s this thing I read...”

It’s 100% a sure bet! (For the guy betting against me. But what can I say? The heart wants what the heart wants! And when that happens, I get all Parappa the Rapper inside.)
it's okay to be excited about unreleased stuff

it's not okay to continue to defend bad games once they are released

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Quavers posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/11/17226064/dell-china-laptop-pubg-cheating

quote:

She spoke of how Chinese gamers are the most innovative and dominant in the world by using "plugins" to, for example, run faster than other players, or blow up ten cars at a time, and that these top gamers can really use 8th-Gen power to "run more plugins to win more at Chicken Dinner", and that the top players run the most 'plugins' so that's where 8th-gen Dell power gives them the gamer's edge. Behind her a video proudly shows various cheats in PUBG in action (they really like the one with the massively oversized gun and show that a lot), with the new Dell gaming laptops shown every few seconds while Sally told us that gamers should buy a Dell because they're better at running many plugins. Wow.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Quavers posted:

I wrote a little while back that a pivot East actually made a little sense. Their brand is garbage in the English speaking world and the market is saturated. Seeing the occasional South Korean twitch stream with more viewers than the established west side streamers made it seem just crazy enough to have a chance.

But given how garbage CIG is at Marketing, and the difficulties inherent in going so far outside your known target territories, it’s pretty hopeless. Plus, they don’t have a game, which makes it harder still.

Koil
Jun 24, 2005

two weeks
Teaser of the inevitable Chris Roberts movie

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Thoatse posted:

Flight model stuff is about the only thing I care(d) about since everything else is such ridiculous bullshit and a mute point so long as the flight model of a 'sim' is garbage. Since 2014, this has obviously a feature to harvest fps whalemilk and not a bug raining on the sim crowd's parade. I'm curious though now, what's changed that would make you shift your opinion?
The most amazing part to me is that somehow cig manages to keep making it worse. Somehow I assumed even by accident they would have found something that's not as garbage or more garbage than the previous iteration but they just keep bolting more poo poo to it.

I mean knowing who works on it nowadays its not a wonder but still...

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Koil posted:

Teaser of the inevitable Chris Roberts movie

Ben, not fat :confuoot:

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Nyast posted:

Citizen Gamer takes a jab at CIG Tutorial making. The result is hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmDcagzJ02g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

ManofManyAliases posted:

Decouple is mediocre, but ICFS changes are all over the place. I don't know if it's the different ship thruster amounts that they're playing around with or note, but I've got strafe on Y and Z on my stick and icfs overcompensates wildly.

I sincerely hope you are not toast because if you are im ashamed about how little you know about your own projects core flight model.