Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

bigfoot again posted:

That team could def beat England

The Ashton for England people have very short memories though. And apparently didn’t see him get chased down twice by George Ford

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
I'm perfectly happy for Ashton to play for England, he (much like Ford) can't tackle for poo poo and needs someone that can distribute a ball to him effectively to score. 10/10 Ashton for England.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

In sad news, Jared Payne is having to retire after suffering a head injury in the Lions tour :(

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vaders Jester posted:

In sad news, Jared Payne is having to retire after suffering a head injury in the Lions tour :(

Good on him for being sensible and making sure he doesn't do any more damage. Hopefully the coaching role will suit him.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Vaders Jester posted:

I'm perfectly happy for Ashton to play for England, he (much like Ford) can't tackle for poo poo and needs someone that can distribute a ball to him effectively to score. 10/10 Ashton for England.

Srsly. It's just galling when brilliant players like Radradra and Tuisova are utterly demolishing England and all the commentators can talk about is the guy who was too stupid and suspended to get picked in the first place.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Radrada and Tuisova were absolutely unstoppable yesterday but the media are always going to focus on the story of Ashton returning from exile to fist-gently caress England regardless of anything else.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

bessantj posted:

Good on him for being sensible and making sure he doesn't do any more damage. Hopefully the coaching role will suit him.

He was having recurring migraines after physical exertion, thankfully not concussion related. He will be missed on the field but he's been helping out the Ulster coaching staff for the second half of the season so I can only wish him success moving forward.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Are recurring migraines not a sign of the after effects of a severe concussion though? Either way, wish him the best in his coaching role.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Sounds rough. Like he's done some lingering, irreparable damage to some blood vessels or something.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

Yeah I assumed the same, a report came out around November time that he'd been to a neurologist and they had ruled out a concussion link so I hope they're right - same report suggested it could be a neck issue or something vascular. Sad to see him go out like that.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Well it's only take South Africa 127 years but they've finally named a black Test captain. Hope Kolisi does well, he's been a pretty great player for a while now.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Clive Woodward is TOTALLY NOT MAD that England were made to look like cloggers but coincidentally thinks that the Barbarians shouldn't exist any more. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-5784117/I-love-Baa-Baas-time-scrap-circus.html

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Haha oh my god

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

fallingdownjoe posted:

Clive Woodward is TOTALLY NOT MAD that England were made to look like cloggers but coincidentally thinks that the Barbarians shouldn't exist any more. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-5784117/I-love-Baa-Baas-time-scrap-circus.html

It's okay, he'll just do what they did after Italy clowned England at the breakdown last year and have a wee whinge to Beaumont and get World Rugby to ban offloading because it's unfair.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

Lmao England getting beat at home by a squad that spent most of their time together on the piss made them look bad, no poo poo Sir Clive.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Lmao England getting beat at home by a squad that spent most of their time together on the piss made them look bad, no poo poo Sir Clive.

Like Clive is right in that the fixture doesn't really fit but tradition means something and match fitness means something. Like England seem to love killing players in training but no amount of training makes up for match practice.

The Baa-Baa's match is as meaningless as pumping Georgia because they've only really got 8 good players. But in reality they should do both and play more friendly matches and train less.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Edinburgh have joined the lovely new badge crew.

:effort:

Also will now play in blue and white and 'burnt orange'. And have applied for planning permission for a new 7,800 capacity stadium which is probably a good idea.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

HappyCamperGL posted:

Also will now play in blue and white and 'burnt orange'. And have applied for planning permission for a new 7,800 capacity stadium which is probably a good idea.

The black grey and red looked like poo poo so maybe it’s not a bad idea

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Blue, white and fried citrus sounds like it could be a mess.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
For anyone thinking of cutting their Saturday night short to watch Wales South Africa... don’t. It’s loving dire.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
It has now improved a bit but it required Steff Evans’ knee to be sacrificed to achieve it. Poor lad - looked rough.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

fallingdownjoe posted:

It has now improved a bit but it required Steff Evans’ knee to be sacrificed to achieve it. Poor lad - looked rough.

Wales have had their five minutes of rugby it'll be back to crap now.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Why are they playing SA in DC in June?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

goatface posted:

Why are they playing SA in DC in June?

Grow the sport/get the WRU money.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

HappyCamperGL posted:

As a Glasgow fan this amuses me greatly.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

New Zealand and England looking very useful in the U20 world championships.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

bessantj posted:

New Zealand and England looking very useful in the U20 world championships.

Yeah England picked Ben Curry and Marcus Smith so they’re def taking it seriously.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

England tend to do quite well at the U-20 level and are in with a shout every year.

OK, so I can get rid of this loving avatar finally after the All Blacks test on Saturday night. But because I'm a loving idiot that doesn't learn anything, I'm putting this avatar up for grabs again.

If France win, thread gets to choose my new avatar, which I will keep until the end of the Rugby Champs.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

If France beat New Zealand you should never post in this thread again!

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Apologies for the rambling nonsense here but this is comedy gold.

So, last season the SRU held a big one day rugby event at Murrayfield with a number of club finals and the 3rd fixture in the 1872 cup between Glasgow and Edinburgh to decide which team would win it, a bit like the Welsh Judgement Day event where all of the Welsh regions play in Cardiff. This meant that Edinburgh technically got a second home fixture over Glasgow as the SRU knew that the turn out would likely be high and Glasgows home can only accommodate 10k. Turns out 25k people wanted to watch this festival of Scottish rugby, which is a pretty great turn out considering that football is king in Scotland, making it the largest attendance for club rugby in Scottish history.
Unsurprisingly, the SRU have decided to have the same format again because the whole day was a huge success and the money generated for the union and teams is pretty much too good to pass up on. Understandably some Glasgow fans are sort of upset because it's effectively a 2nd home leg for Edinburgh again where it should have been played at Glasgow this time around. However, this is now a legitimate thing that is happening, started by some Glasgow fans in "protest":

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/glasgow-warriors-home-game-v-edinburgh-should-be-at-scotstoun

All of the toys are firmly out of the pram now and it's amazing.

I also suspect Glasgow fans wouldn't have minded so much if Edinburgh were still utterly poo poo and wouldn't be banging on about "the integrity of the sport" quite so hard if they'd somehow not managed to thoroughly poo poo the bed for 60 minutes against 14 men and lost.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Actually wanting to play home games at home and not on the other side of the country is entirely reasonable and justified. Hth.

E - though someone should really have proof read that petition jfc that is some atrocious spelling. :cripes:

HappyCamperGL fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 4, 2018

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Why don't they just do that as the Edinburgh home fixture?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

HappyCamperGL posted:

Actually wanting to play home games at home and not on the other side of the country is entirely reasonable and justified. Hth.

Otherside of the country in Scotland is 40 mins down the road.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Aramoro posted:

Otherside of the country in Scotland is 40 mins down the road.

well not for warriors fans based in (eg) ayr.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

goatface posted:

Why don't they just do that as the Edinburgh home fixture?

This is definitely the right approach and it’s really weird if the SRU aren’t doing it.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
For reference, the Welsh event is always a Cardiff / Newport home fixture, and those two clubs split all of the profits.

The concept of "home advantage" is moot, because like Glasgow / Edinburgh, the away teams only have to travel 40 miles, both have travelling supporters in numbers that totally eclipse the "home teams", and both away teams win every year.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

fallingdownjoe posted:

This is definitely the right approach and it’s really weird if the SRU aren’t doing it.

The SRU is shorthand for defying logic.

Anyway from Ayr it's an hour to get to Scotstoun and an hour and 40 mins to get to Murrayfield so not a huge difference really.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

If travelling to Edinburgh is arduous for Ayr based fans, they're pretty much poo poo out of luck for any travel because it's literally a case of getting to the motorway and going in a straight line until you hit Edinburgh. I'd suggest that travelling to support a team might not be for them. Glasgow also sent more fans to Saracens then Edinburgh have turning up to their home games so "home advantage" at Murrayfield just isn't a thing during the 1872 cup for Edinburgh.

The two normal legs should probably be played in Glasgow but the SRU are not smart. The last 20 years of fiscal idiocy has taught us all this.

The sodium levels of Glasgow fans brings joy to my cold, dead heart.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Tyma posted:

For reference, the Welsh event is always a Cardiff / Newport home fixture, and those two clubs split all of the profits.

The concept of "home advantage" is moot, because like Glasgow / Edinburgh, the away teams only have to travel 40 miles, both have travelling supporters in numbers that totally eclipse the "home teams", and both away teams win every year.

Newport beat Cardiff at the Parade this year.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

The petition is poo poo but the two legs should be played in Glasgow this season or in a neutral venue.

Saying that I'm not in the least bit surprised that the SRU continue to be poo poo.