Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Mantis42 posted:

Why shouldn't they live in cities? The ruins don't decay after hundreds of years and the cities are mostly intact - Boston has random city blocks that have crumbled but it's skyline and major neighborhoods are fine. In fact, since the bomb hit in the far southwest outside of the city, Boston should be functionally one community, like New Vegas.

Did you play a different game than I did? Boston, like NV/F3 cities was filthy and falling apart and looked more like corrugated rusty sheetmetal Favelas half the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Also most people outside Goodneighbour don't even live in the complete, standing buildings. Most of the inhabitants of Boston live in filthy one walled lean tos built into the more busted buildings (raiders) or in filthy ramshackle huts in the middle of Fenway field.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The railroad has fun quests but my god are they a dumb faction that takes itself way too seriously. "You shall be titled codename Whisper!"

"Railroad and their goddamn nicknames, as if the Institute themselves are gonna piss and run if they hear them."

Deacon is good though.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Hey so how convincing are Gen 3 Synths? It seems like they can almost perfectly match the personality of the victim they're replacing, and of course they look the same. Only way to figure out as the player is to kill them and check for a synth component right?

How feasible is it for a commonwealth doctor to do some really basic exploratory surgery on someone and tattoo them on the forehead as "NOT A SYNTH"?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

buglord posted:

Hey so how convincing are Gen 3 Synths? It seems like they can almost perfectly match the personality of the victim they're replacing, and of course they look the same. Only way to figure out as the player is to kill them and check for a synth component right?

How feasible is it for a commonwealth doctor to do some really basic exploratory surgery on someone and tattoo them on the forehead as "NOT A SYNTH"?

Completely indistinguishable from a human

but can they breed?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

buglord posted:

Wouldn't you just start tattooing the synths with the same marking?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Shady Sands in Fallout 1.

80 years later

New California Republic in Fallout 2,

They made some pretty good advancement. I guess I should say that is the same town in both games.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 1, 2018

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Arcsquad12 posted:

I still think new Vegas has one of the most extensively interconnected game worldspaces ever designed. Apart from a handful of locations that are not tied to anything else, pretty much the entire map is laid out in such a way that the inhabitants and locations react to one another. Why is 188 here? Well, Primm got hit by powder gangers and Sloan has a deathclaws problem, so people go there to trade and avoid trouble. Why is Sloan important? They make limestone and concrete which the NCR uses to fortify the river. Why is the Colorado important? It's a natural barrier between NCR and legion and it's one of the few freshwater rivers left without radiation poisoning. etc etc etc. Everything exists in response to everything else and it builds into this whole cohesive world where things have a history you can follow and infer on your own, rather than question why diamond city is half a block away from a super mutant encampment and fifty raider bases.

i just started replaying NV like 4 months ago for my third go around. Haven't played it in like 4 or 5 years. I've barely been doing 30 mins per night so far... just whittling I guess. But you're completely right. I think it might be the most well thought out / plannet out game I've ever played. There's always a reason to have another go at it. It's the pinnacle of the series as far as story and world-building goes.

I also started playing FO4 again yesterday afternoon. Actually played it for almost 7 hours and had to give up. It's lacking in story compared to NV, but I still think it's leagues better than 3. Regardless, what it does have is the best combat system of all them. Hands down. It's not even close. The fights in 4 are loving brutal unless you play below medium difficulty. It's actually a good thing that the story is so short because of how lame it is during a second playthrough, but loving hell I screamed at the top of my lungs like a little girl at 3am this morning and prob woke up my entire building because a deathclaw completely blindsided me...

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Keeshhound posted:

Wouldn't you just start tattooing the synths with the same marking?

yeah but you can just have some not-synth commonwealth person sign under the tattoo since its harder to forge those.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

buglord posted:

yeah but you can just have some not-synth commonwealth person sign under the tattoo since its harder to forge those.

Is it any harder than literally forging the person?

Don't get me wrong, it would've been cool if charcters in the game actually talked about trying stuff like that, but I don't think it's as foolproof an idea as you're suggesting.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The humans could have like branded themselves too! Like a cow. Figure that one out institute.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Keeshhound posted:

yeah because the audio logs in fallout say signature writing and ultra precise machinery matching that isnt at the stage yet

you can also go the extra mile and have humans say a codeword that synths cant say. sorta like La Le Lu Le Lo / Patriots. Fallout series as a whole has pretty bad writing because of gaping plot holes like these.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
What about like x ray machines? You got robot parts bob.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Tenzarin posted:

What about like x ray machines? You got robot parts bob.

actually yeah this is probably the most elegant solution. first x-ray was done in like 1895 so thats well before the divergence between fallout and IRL right

e: then you can tattoo a signature and not-a-synth on their forehead after

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

buglord posted:

yeah because the audio logs in fallout say signature writing and ultra precise machinery matching that isnt at the stage yet

you can also go the extra mile and have humans say a codeword that synths cant say. sorta like La Le Lu Le Lo / Patriots. Fallout series as a whole has pretty bad writing because of gaping plot holes like these.

no offense but i don't think most people care about this type of poo poo

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

buglord posted:

"Password?"
"HATE NEWSPAPERS"
"Welcome, friend"

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Fallout 2 and New Vegas dosen't have the main character as some person who was in a vault. Bethesda really is so far behind those games still. The new trailer is yet again some guy from a vault. I hope people only think of this game as people in a wasteland who lived in bomb shelters, the game.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Tenzarin posted:

Fallout 2 and New Vegas don't have the main character as some person who was in a vault. Bethesda really is so far behind those games still. The new trailer is yet again some guy from a vault. I hope people only think of this game as people who lived in bomb shelters, the game.

The Lone Wanderer in FO3 wasn't from a vault either

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

BarronsArtGallery posted:

If you grew up in and all your memories consist of living/being raised in a vault, you're a vault dweller. :colbert:

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

If you grew up in and all your memories consist of living/being raised in a vault, you're a vault dweller. :colbert:

Tell that to :sad:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Technically the Sole Survivor in FO4 didn't live in a vault.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The guy from FO4 was a vault dweller for like five minutes as far as he was aware

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Keeshhound posted:

Well, even the Institute needed some practice to perfect their craft. Take a look at their early Gen 3 synth, Eve.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Taerkar posted:

Technically the Sole Survivor in FO4 didn't live in a vault.

so bethesda has never made a game with a true vault dweller then

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Tim Cain, the original creator of the Fallout series and setting once said "My idea is to explore more of the world and more of the ethics of a post-nuclear world, not to make a better plasma gun."

Oh how far this series has gone.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Tenzarin posted:

Tim Cain, the original creator of the Fallout series and setting once said "My idea is to explore more of the world and more of the ethics of a post-nuclear world, not to make a better plasma gun."

Oh how far this series has gone.

Yea but that's obviously just an egg beater that's been repurposed for military use...

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i want to explore the ethics of a post-nuclear world via murdering people with a better plasma gun

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

so bethesda has never made a game with a true vault dweller then

Can't wait for the first bethesda fallout where the tutorial isn't in a vault so they can be applauded as expanding the fallout brand.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Berke Negri posted:

fallout 4 was pretty great at rewiring my brain to not give a poo poo when I come across the 300th gun in a dungeon because I already got those but I open that one cabinet of elmers wonderglue or stumbled across a abandoned factory for aluminum tv dinner trays and my heart skips a beat

Aluminum cans for me.

eonwe posted:

i want to explore the ethics of a post-nuclear world via murdering people with a better plasma gun

...with the Andrews Sisters.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tenzarin posted:

Can't wait for the first bethesda fallout where the tutorial isn't in a vault so they can be applauded as expanding the fallout brand.

The real vault was America all along

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

RBA Starblade posted:

The guy from FO4 was a vault dweller for like five minutes as far as he was aware

I think somehow the guy from fallout 4 is the vault dweller who somehow lived the longest in a vault. I was actually kinda hoping he would be a synth all along.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm kinda disappointed that there weren't dedicated buttons in dialogue that allowed you to either accuse every character of being a synth or to claim that you yourself are a synth.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Tenzarin posted:

I think somehow the guy from fallout 4 is the vault dweller who somehow lived the longest in a vault. I was actually kinda hoping he would be a synth all along.

Honestly that probably would have been better and this is coming from someone who hates the "Deckard was totes a replicant"

Settlement building was okay on the PC once I realized that after an hour of frustration running out of resources, if I wanted to build cool poo poo console commands exist.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
The biggest crime tho is that bethesda was too cheap to actually give up some fuckin royalties and have the goddman john denver version in that teaser trailer.

I mean did they get a cover of the Ink Spots' "Set the World on Fire"? No.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well, even the Institute needed some practice to perfect their craft. Take a look at their early Gen 3 synth, Eve.

She’s a Morrowind character!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Berke Negri posted:

fallout 4 was pretty great at rewiring my brain to not give a poo poo when I come across the 300th gun in a dungeon because I already got those but I open that one cabinet of elmers wonderglue or stumbled across a abandoned factory for aluminum tv dinner trays and my heart skips a beat

For me it was finding the skeletons at the end of Vault 81 and realizing that my first reaction was "finally, now I can make some oil and get that generator going".

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

chitoryu12 posted:

I think New Vegas just looked like it did because of asset reuse from Fallout 3. All the important settlements like Goodsprings, Primm, Novac, Nipton, and the Mojave Outpost are pre-war buildings that people either moved into or kept living in for generations. If Obsidian had more time and budget, I can see places like Vegas being even bigger and prettier and all the settlements having swept floors and maybe new coats of paint.

The Khans use tents, and there's the odd improvised lean-to around the wasteland. In places like Goodsprings and Novac, I can imagine people just fixing up the old buildings because why not, they're right there

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Jack2142 posted:

Honestly that probably would have been better and this is coming from someone who hates the "Deckard was totes a replicant"

I'll spare you my pointless fan fiction of a bad game, it would have made the ending more linear, but with how they basically made the game with every ending being the same path with the same ending movie it could have been done. If you remember the factions in the game and their feelings towards robot people. It would have made 4 endings into 2 ending but I guess they went with the more endings route.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

2house2fly posted:

The Khans use tents, and there's the odd improvised lean-to around the wasteland. In places like Goodsprings and Novac, I can imagine people just fixing up the old buildings because why not, they're right there

I feel New Vegas was a result of prioritizing what absolutely needs new models to be made... and what is acceptable to just plug in Fallout 3 assets because oh god we have no time fuuuuuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The biggest crime tho is that bethesda was too cheap to actually give up some fuckin royalties and have the goddman john denver version in that teaser trailer.

I mean did they get a cover of the Ink Spots' "Set the World on Fire"? No.

I don't think The Ink Spots are exactly the most expensive band in the world to get licensed tracks from.