Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

BMan posted:

I ordered some refill coils from filaments.ca and they threw in a free master spool, neat :toot:

That label had me confused, PETG is denser than PLA and shouldn't need a thicker coil, and indeed the PETG I ordered was about as thick as the PLA. I guess they mixed up PETG and ABS.

Both times I've purchased PETG and PLA from the same brand, the PETG has sat higher on the spool. I wonder if they can't wind it as tightly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
It's noticeably springier than PLA, so maybe? I've never noticed any of my PET spools being particularly loose, though. If anything they usually feel more tightly wound than the PLA ones.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

When I got my first roll of petg I was still using the stock spool peg on the mpsm, which has a ton of rolling resistance. When the printer pulled in filament, the spool would make a sound similar to the one you get when you pick up a 30-pack of water bottles and they all rub together.
It was kinda cool, and also extremely annoying.

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed
Has anyone tried the new Creality Ender 3 yet? I have seen a bunch of positive reviews and recommendations for people to get it, even some claims it puts out nearly Prusa quality prints at a way lower cost, but obviously I don't know how accurate or unbiased that really is. Requiring a little more set up and fine tuning out of the box isn't a deal breaker for me but I'd like to know as much as possible about what I'd be getting in to.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pretty much any FDM printer can put out "prusa-quality" prints with enough tweaking and calibration. The Prusa advantage is that its good quality-control and clever self-calibration features mean you don't have to do that.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Parts Kit posted:

I have the V2 and just nipped off the old and spliced in the new.

Perfect, that's what I want to do. Can you post or send the link you of which one you bought.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

FromTheShire posted:

Has anyone tried the new Creality Ender 3 yet? I have seen a bunch of positive reviews and recommendations for people to get it, even some claims it puts out nearly Prusa quality prints at a way lower cost, but obviously I don't know how accurate or unbiased that really is. Requiring a little more set up and fine tuning out of the box isn't a deal breaker for me but I'd like to know as much as possible about what I'd be getting in to.

For the price of the Ender 3 I'd just get a Monoprice printer and get a known good printer with a full year replacement warranty that includes shipping both ways if something ever goes bad.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

ClassH posted:

Perfect, that's what I want to do. Can you post or send the link you of which one you bought.
Sure! This is it. $14 with amazon prime.
https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-Cooling-Blades-Bearing-NF-A4x10/dp/B009NQLT0M/

It comes with splices and a connector to do it with by the way, so you don't have to cut off the original connector if you don't want to. They'll just have to stick out of the wire wrap is all.

Parts Kit fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 1, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

periodic reminder that PET is love, PET is life

As long as you have a bed that can keep it attached (clean glass at 90C works very well for me) it's just absolutely gorgeous stuff. Strong, warp-free, odorless, clean, sandable, cheap. Get on it

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I'm a big fan of Onyx after how well it held up on my last project. Unfortunately it is still plastic and still breaks when you hit it with 3 ounces of titanium at x thousand rpm. :v:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Great Beer posted:

I'm a big fan of Onyx after how well it held up on my last project. Unfortunately it is still plastic and still breaks when you hit it with 3 ounces of titanium at x thousand rpm. :v:

Onyx is the Markforged brand for their carbon-reinforced nylon, right? I have a spool of MatterHackers' NylonX, which is functionally identical as far as I can tell, and it's excellent stuff. Extremely stiff, tough and strong, and has a great look. I'm kind of stingy with it because it's rather expensive but man does it make nice parts.

I've also seen it sold under the brand "CarbonX" at about 2/3 the price of NylonX and less than half the price of Onyx. Maybe I'll try that one when I use up this roll.

But yeah basically PETG is the superior alternative to PLA and nylon is the better ABS.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Had a good day on my printer today.

I have motion on the X and Y and the motors are starting to be wired up

And I had a bit of fun, enjoy the highlights

A novel solution to the belts rubbing? We shall see

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I recently converted my printer Z axis to a funky single motor gear transmission of my own design.

More pics and writeup on the OpenBuilds site:
https://openbuilds.com/builds/voxel-ox-with-helix-gear-z-transmission-single-z-motor.7174/

mewse
May 2, 2006

peepsalot posted:

I recently converted my printer Z axis to a funky single motor gear transmission of my own design.

More pics and writeup on the OpenBuilds site:
https://openbuilds.com/builds/voxel-ox-with-helix-gear-z-transmission-single-z-motor.7174/

That's really interesting, do you have a video of the mechanism operating?

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
I'm looking to pick up a beginner printer $300 or cheaper with the intention of printing minis and parts for gunpla (armor pieces, weapons, terrain). It seems like the general recommendations for my budget are the Monoprice Select Mini V2, MP Select Plus, or the Ender 3. A big plus would be minimal modifications required out of the box. Any advice on where to start?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Ender 3 would be my bet, the creality design is just a really solid budget printer at any size

Can anyone with some duetwifi experience help me out

I believe I have uploaded a corrupted config file and now my board disconnects when I try to access the settings panel my board disconnects.

This has the unfortunate impact of not being able to upload a new config file to replace the now currupt config

I still have terminal access through pronterface/YAT and have been able to upload the latest firmware in my poking.

Can anyone here help me out with how to upload a config file and have the board read it?

Thanks y'all, just this and one or two things and my printer is up and runnings🏃

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
Yank the MicroSD card and put it in a computer

Edit: This section might be useful too if config.g isn't the issue: https://duet3d.dozuki.com/Wiki/Inst..._your_Duet_WiFi

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

porksmash posted:

Yank the MicroSD card and put it in a computer

Edit: This section might be useful too if config.g isn't the issue: https://duet3d.dozuki.com/Wiki/Inst..._your_Duet_WiFi

Now im a little over my head in software, but I think I get it

I delete the config file from the duet sd card

put a generated config file on it

Then I place it back into the duet and run a command to use the latest config file?

I understand this method of placing files onto the SD and then issuing a command to update the board. But with the config.g does it just do that at startup? Or do I need to issue a command to update the config?

Edit: I fixed the issue, my wifi module just needed to be rebooted, go figure

Jestery fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jun 4, 2018

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Say I broke a small plastic button mechanism internally, could I use a 3d printing pen to make a repair to the broken bit and would it hold up to repeated mashing by future users?

The button is kind of mounted on a pushrod, and the part of the button that sleeves around the pushrod has cracked. Due to how tight the button is in its cavity it doesn't return to its original position correctly any more without a lot of jiggling.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Sagebrush posted:

periodic reminder that PET is love, PET is life

As long as you have a bed that can keep it attached (clean glass at 90C works very well for me) it's just absolutely gorgeous stuff. Strong, warp-free, odorless, clean, sandable, cheap. Get on it

Printing PETG on bare glass got me a chip in my glass. I use a spritz of hairspray for everything now.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Onyx is the Markforged brand for their carbon-reinforced nylon, right? I have a spool of MatterHackers' NylonX, which is functionally identical as far as I can tell, and it's excellent stuff. Extremely stiff, tough and strong, and has a great look. I'm kind of stingy with it because it's rather expensive but man does it make nice parts.

I've also seen it sold under the brand "CarbonX" at about 2/3 the price of NylonX and less than half the price of Onyx. Maybe I'll try that one when I use up this roll.

But yeah basically PETG is the superior alternative to PLA and nylon is the better ABS.

Nylon is better than ABS at everything -- including warping.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Budgie posted:

Say I broke a small plastic button mechanism internally, could I use a 3d printing pen to make a repair to the broken bit and would it hold up to repeated mashing by future users?

Probably yes / probably no.

3D printed parts aren't as strong as injection-molded parts, and tiny parts definitely don't stand up well to repeated stress. It'll probably get crunched. A real 3D printed part will still be stronger than one made with a pen, though, because it will have better layer adhesion.

insta posted:

Nylon is better than ABS at everything -- including warping.

The carbon version hardly warps at all, and Taulman's 910 is very stable. Plain Nylon-6 warps pretty severely yes but that's why the printer-specific blends exist.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Budgie posted:

The button is kind of mounted on a pushrod, and the part of the button that sleeves around the pushrod has cracked. Due to how tight the button is in its cavity it doesn't return to its original position correctly any more without a lot of jiggling.
Was the part 3D printed to begin with, or you mean on a consumer product with a plastic part? If its ABS, then you might do better repairing it with some DIY Acetone+ABS solvent/glue.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Sagebrush posted:

The carbon version hardly warps at all, and Taulman's 910 is very stable. Plain Nylon-6 warps pretty severely yes but that's why the printer-specific blends exist.

Nylon-X?

What about bed adhesion? I've never been able to get glue sticks to work properly and that's been the hold-off on me printing Nylons.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

NylonX or Taulman 910 are what I use, yes. And not all glue sticks are created equal; they have different blends of PVA and PVP (and maybe other adhesives) and so some stick much better than others. The only ones I've had consistent reliable performance from are the Elmer's "disappearing purple" school glue sticks. Other blends do nothing or appear to even weaken the adhesion. Apply a light coat of that to the heated glass bed and it'll stick. I forget the bed temperature I use but it's not anything crazy, probably between 70 and 90 degrees.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Budgie posted:

Eh, maybe? Sounds like a job for a CA glue or something like E-6000 or a small dab of gorilla glue of it can hold itself stable while it expands/cures.

3d printing pens can be cool but The "thing" with them is that (unlike a hot glue gun) it doesn't really melt onto or around things, because the little squirt of melted plastic doesn't hold much heat. As soon as it hits something it pretty much cools instantly. That's of course what makes it possible to "draw" with it in mid air but it also means it doesn't work like a hot glue blob, it's not going to easily gap fill a repair or otherwise act like a glue itself.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Wow Taulman stuff got expensive.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

~$35/lb on Amazon? That's the price it's always been. It's more that the other filaments got a lot cheaper while Taulman stuff, being for a specialty market, didn't. I remember when a spool of regular old PLA cost sixty dollars.

Again, using PETG for the majority of stuff and 910/nylonX (basically depending on whether the part should be a bit flexible or as stiff as possible) only where required is a good combination that won't break the bank.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

I paid $20 a spool from Taulman a few years ago. Just wish they were 1.75mm now instead of 3mm.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

That Gobbo posted:

I'm looking to pick up a beginner printer $300 or cheaper with the intention of printing minis and parts for gunpla (armor pieces, weapons, terrain). It seems like the general recommendations for my budget are the Monoprice Select Mini V2, MP Select Plus, or the Ender 3. A big plus would be minimal modifications required out of the box. Any advice on where to start?

I have never used the Ender 3 so I have no comment on it, but the Monoprice Select Plus is pretty solid out of the box and there is a fairly good sized community for it and it's clone brethren (Wanhao Duplicator i3 Plus and several others). There are a lot of mods and add ons you can get for it, but none of them are required.

In case you didn't know, use code SELPLUS at check out on Monoprice to get $100 off, brings it down to $300.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
Anyone got any experience with getting 2020 extrusion in the UK? I can cut it myself but is £6ish per 500mm from China the best option or are there companies in the UK that are better?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

mewse posted:

That's really interesting, do you have a video of the mechanism operating?
OK I just finished up a video showing and explaining the setup a bit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u3MYdSj3Oc
Skip to 5:30 if you just wanna see the gears move.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I've got a casting project coming up, anyone ever tried lost wax casting filaments of any sort?

I'm looking at this stuff through a Prusa Mk2 : https://www.machinablewax.com/product.php?product=52

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Yooper posted:

I've got a casting project coming up, anyone ever tried lost wax casting filaments of any sort?

I'm looking at this stuff through a Prusa Mk2 : https://www.machinablewax.com/product.php?product=52

Well, I've done investment casting with PLA... from talking to some other people, best bet there is to get the natural, unpigmented stuff.

Or try the wax, be interested to find out how it works. PLA's a lot cheaper though. ;)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What's a good 3D printer for a novice who just wants to print off OK-looking D&D terrain?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Gort posted:

What's a good 3D printer for a novice who just wants to print off OK-looking D&D terrain?

The MP Select Mini V2 is pretty bees-knees low investment point and high quality printing.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Anyone got any experience with getting 2020 extrusion in the UK? I can cut it myself but is £6ish per 500mm from China the best option or are there companies in the UK that are better?

I haven't bought any yet but I think RS has it cheaper

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

biracial bear for uncut posted:

The MP Select Mini V2 is pretty bees-knees low investment point and high quality printing.

Hmm, I'm reading around this one a bit and it sounds like it has some wiring problems - are things like this commonly necessary?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Gort posted:

Hmm, I'm reading around this one a bit and it sounds like it has some wiring problems - are things like this commonly necessary?

Depends on how you define "necessary". I've not bothered to "fix" that issue and have yet to have any bed heater problems, but I bought my v2 within the last couple months and there are several 'stealth' upgrades to the unit that aren't really documented.

Like, the bed wiring on my unit doesn't look anything like the one in that guide and I didn't see any pinch/bend points in the range of motion when I checked it out. I've also been printing pretty much non-stop and haven't had any heating issues.

One plus on the Mini V2, it has very limited risk of setting itself on fire because it actually has thermal runaway protections enabled in the current shipping firmware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Not a double-post, guess what just hit the Monoprice website?

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=30994

I don't know how excited/not excited I should be about it. Looks interesting.