Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Zaphod42 posted:

I can see non-volatile memory being useful for energy saving or something for certain programs running in data-centers that deal with a small consistent cache of data.

But yeah honestly seems fairly niche. It just doesn't really save you THAT much, since everything is designed to work with volatile RAM anyways. We already figured out how to cache to disk to sleep...

The Optane drives are super niche, but I can see where that niche could exist. The Optane memory is just baffling.

Original design goal: "It will be within a magnitude of speed of modern memory. It will also be non-wearing. There will be some price premium."

- Hell yes, I'm on-board all the way.

Delivered: "Well, it's faster than traditional SSD drives. It wears, but, it wears slower than SSDs. Same price premium. Here's a space ship."

- Nevermind, dude.

"We're making memory sticks."

- Stop calling me.

https://i.imgur.com/D8YXqrk.mp4

XK fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

These people are honestly MORE deluded than scientologists.

No, they're AS deluded. You can't get more deluded than pinning your hopes and dreams on a single person, living or dead.

Network Bind Culling, fast becoming my favourite thing, is nearly done. What does the site say about this?

"This work aims to help improve performance in multiplayer by cutting down the number of entities that exist on clients. Entities too far from a player will be removed from the local client, and when the player moves or the server otherwise detects new entities entering the player's range they will be added to the client. Because clients will then only consider updating entities that are near to them the overall CPU load will be reduced and performance should improve."

Seems reasonable, right? Except CPU isn't the bottleneck that you have to watch out for here, it's streaming in however many entities are within range, so when you navigate to your beacons, you're going to have a delay as all the containers within range update. They actually made this worse by using specific exit points, which makes me think that they're gonna do grid from a known 0,0,0.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

XK posted:

The Optane memory is just baffling.

There's a model for something like a persistant non-volatile DB server; current SAN arrays tend towards the volatile and warming them up can take time, but it's kinda vertical.

Intel is using the dim but richer gamer demographic to make the R&D less costly. As you said, they've come up with a slow SSD but the convergence of memory and storage has been a long time coming.

I'll pass until it's no longer proprietary.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X3AybtLAEk

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Also Also if SC has "so much cool poo poo" why does he stream Dauntless all day?

He really likes lovely cashgrab games?

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

God damit jian yang....

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

This, along with the video where the guy is like "how dare Ford sell an expensive car?", is some really painfully oblivious mental gymastics.

"If you guys keep adding cool poo poo to the game"

What cool poo poo? Beyond just static models that do nothing, what cool poo poo? There is no cool poo poo.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Hav posted:

the convergence of memory and storage has been a long time coming.

Absolutely, but Optane isn't it, not even close.

Like, what are they going to be? 32GB Optane sticks? :lol:

It doesn't make any sense until the tech bakes in the oven for a lot longer, and there's no guarantee the tech will ever mature. It could very well be dead end.

It's pretty telling that they're shoveling the tech at a video game promotion, and I'm seeing no other talk about it.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sandweed posted:

Those are baby numbers my dudes.

:eyepop:

And I thought my 1600 hours of Stellaris were excessive

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Quavers posted:

Rocket League: 600 hours
And I'm still poo poo at it :negative:

1080 hours of Rocket League here and I'm marvelously mediocre still.
We could play sometime, friend :hfive:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Nicholas posted:

So as advertised, he literally doesn't turn down a role that is offered to him

Bootcha, reach out to Eric Roberts publicist and have him narrate the next Sunk Cost Galaxy.

I will contribute to this
[/quote]

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

There must be an internal division over at Intel that's super embarrassed about all the money and effort they put into Optane tech development. I can't even imagine the usage scenario for Optane memory except for suspend/wake. Just spend the few seconds streaming the memory image from your Optane drive into memory upon wake.

I don't get it.

Now Intel has made slower memory that wears. Good work, everybody.

The SSD version is kind of ok-ish in a niche fashion, but yeah, the DIMM version is just :psyduck:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thoatse posted:

Bootcha, reach out to Eric Roberts publicist and have him narrate the next Sunk Cost Galaxy.

I will absolutely put money towards this.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Nicholas posted:

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

gently caress it, I tried.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Nicholas posted:

I will not contribute to this but it would be hilarious

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hav posted:

I'm prepared to eat my words. My loins are girded and by back steeled.

What are we expecting with patch 3.2?

https://starcitizen.tools/Star_Citizen_Alpha_3.2.0

Edit:

Bind culling eh? So SC is going to be good with 3.2? Or.... its almost going to be good, but at the last minute the culling had to be culled, but don't worry folks, its being refactored and will be in the next patch! In the meantime, here is another ship sale!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ModernSociety posted:

:golfclap:

Larz
Jul 29, 2011
131 days until CitizenCon. Never too early to get hyped.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

Also Also if SC has "so much cool poo poo" why does he stream Dauntless all day?

Like seriously if there's cool poo poo why aren't you playing the cool poo poo.

These people are honestly MORE deluded than scientologists.

A :cig: dev probably popped in his chat and pointed out he had a nice computer and it'd be a shame if something happened to it

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

ModernSociety posted:

Haha perfect.. it's not only funny but redditors will have a hard time downvoting it because cats... maybe weaponized cuteness was the answer all along :v:

...also because the cat is clearly smarter than citizens, who would have sat there contently staring at the empty hand rather than immediately wtf'ing

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hav posted:

No, they're AS deluded. You can't get more deluded than pinning your hopes and dreams on a single person, living or dead.

Network Bind Culling, fast becoming my favourite thing, is nearly done. What does the site say about this?

"This work aims to help improve performance in multiplayer by cutting down the number of entities that exist on clients. Entities too far from a player will be removed from the local client, and when the player moves or the server otherwise detects new entities entering the player's range they will be added to the client. Because clients will then only consider updating entities that are near to them the overall CPU load will be reduced and performance should improve."

Seems reasonable, right? Except CPU isn't the bottleneck that you have to watch out for here, it's streaming in however many entities are within range, so when you navigate to your beacons, you're going to have a delay as all the containers within range update. They actually made this worse by using specific exit points, which makes me think that they're gonna do grid from a known 0,0,0.

This is also pretty basic core poo poo, and really shows that without an existing engine written by competent programmers and designers that CIG wouldn't even have an executable.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

XK posted:

It doesn't make any sense until the tech bakes in the oven for a lot longer, and there's no guarantee the tech will ever mature. It could very well be dead end.

It's pretty telling that they're shoveling the tech at a video game promotion, and I'm seeing no other talk about it.

Convergence _will_ happen, it's just quite far apart at the moment and they've created the worst of both worlds.

This will not be the first time or the last time Intel produce a pup, and I think we've established the credibility of the gamer crowd over the past couple of years.

Agony Aunt posted:

Bind culling eh? So SC is going to be good with 3.2? Or.... its almost going to be good, but at the last minute the culling had to be culled, but don't worry folks, its being refactored and will be in the next patch! In the meantime, here is another ship sale!

Calling it that this will be the time that we have to grudgingly buy back in and reluctantly work for one of the whales while wearing Derek masks.

Bofast posted:

The SSD version is kind of ok-ish in a niche fashion, but yeah, the DIMM version is just :psyduck:

Requires a special motherboard too. Anyone remember RAMBUS? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RDRAM

Trying to be the only game in town always loses to licensing to the Chinese and crossing your fingers.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

I've been a long time observer of David Cage's games. Usually terrible games, pure cinematic, with all but zero traditional gameyness to them.

I'm watching a few let's plays of Detroit: Become Human. Still early on in what I'm watching, but, is David Cage almost doing it this time? There's still quite a bit to go on making a truly engaging pure cinematic game, but, I'm impressed.

I think my point is, even a David Cage game is going to make Chris Roberts' cinematic game efforts look like grade school garbage.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t0uCWjQ6Og

the only good thing to come from david cage "games"

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Hav posted:

Convergence _will_ happen, it's just quite far apart at the moment and they've created the worst of both worlds.

What the gently caress ever happened to memristors?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

big nipples big life posted:

Omikron: The Nomad Soul generated one of the best let's plays I've ever seen by being one of the most extraordinarily obtuse games ever produced. It also has a David Bowie sound track, and David Bowie voice acts one of the main plot characters. It's bananas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=691RrF9pnaU

All of their David Cage play throughs are great.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Hav posted:

Wait wait wait.... this is _client side_? I thought the whole point was interest management, not loving occlusion culling (which is a thing crysis should already do btw)

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

XK posted:

What the gently caress ever happened to memristors?

They're more of a philosophy than anything else. Last I heard was a CMOS variant about 6 years ago with some interesting straying into biological versions; theoretically 3D X-point should be better in the long run, but it's still the really early days for high density memory. I have a really passing relationship with hardware, so someone will hopefully correct my poo poo.

I have a 10Mb MFM drive I keep around to remember where we've come from. People forget that they used to take up two bays.

Bubble Memory was the one that cratered really quickly, because of the physical issues with 'being moved about'.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SoftNum posted:

Wait wait wait.... this is _client side_? I thought the whole point was interest management, not loving occlusion culling (which is a thing crysis should already do btw)

Like every 'surprise' animated gif you can think of, but not here because it's lazy and literally on the level of posting anime.

And yes, it appears to be occlusion culling, but connected with the concept of streaming less detail to the container AND the scaling changes that they've probably made to stuff a space map into a shooter. it's why I take the piss.

Please, never play Heavy Rain, just read the plot. It's not that it's so much insane as it is ludicrous because there's a twist you're not supposed to see coming.

It's LA Noire levels of bullshit.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

don't forget this one, where someone lets all of the quicktime events fail so the main character is pinwheeling into walls and comically slipping on fruit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy44s_de15Y

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Hav posted:

Please, never play Heavy Rain, just read the plot. It's not that it's so much insane as it is ludicrous because there's a twist you're not supposed to see coming.

Just watch a tv show or movie you like and press a button on your controller every now and then.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Thread saved. :3:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

SoftNum posted:

It is interest management, just very naïvely and simplistically done, and also described with the usual aplomb we've come to expect from this project. You know, the one where we soon have to figure out a more apt and telling simile than “clear as mud” to really convey the informational quality of what's being said.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

This is a pretty neat read

https://dualthegame.com/en/news/2018/06/01/new-engines-and-ships-dynamics/

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Hav posted:

LA Noire is responsible for another of my favorite let's play series. (Super Beard Bros)

I think LA Noire's face tech is only now being met by other games, 7 years later.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Spoilers for Animal Farm.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

XK posted:

LA Noire is responsible for another of my favorite let's play series. (Super Beard Bros)

I think LA Noire's face tech is only now being met by other games, 7 years later.

Its railroading you directly to an unsatisfactory conclusion appeared to also be years ahead of its time. Another game that was mostly tech demo.

Just watch a tv show or movie you like and press a button on your controller every now and then.

It was less that than the extended home invasion scene where our heroine has to fight off a masked intruder that was not pulling punches. It's a very long time to examine other exposition that could have created a similar level of tension without punching a girl in the face over and over.

Or that you were the murderer all along! Tada! Didn't see that loving coming, did you? signed, David Cage.

I can only assume that Detroit is the convergence of insanity and a relatively sane process of publishing if it's actually making sense.

Ulio posted:

Spoilers for Animal Farm.

The tortoise is a libertarian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

They're missing ground effect; Hovercraft aren't simply a thruster, they provide a cushion of air that reduces surface friction to '0', it's why they're so fun in the corners and usually require leaning to bleed the skirts.

This is the same thing that the Caspian sea monster uses, although it's a variant called 'Wing in ground'. Lift is enhanced if you're within half a winglength of the surface.

It was basically designed to ferry tanks and provide mild arty cover with fixed mount rockets in keeping with the cold war Blitzkreig that was the counter to NATOs 'nuke it 'til it glows' plan.