Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Phlegmish posted:

Does the US even export anything we would want

poo poo they got us bois

The US' chief export is stupidity. While our domestic production is being ramped up, we are not yet fully independent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

So what's up with the Danes banning the burqa/niqab? From what little English language coverage I can find it looks like half the parliament didn't even bother to show up for the vote.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
That was probably the half that secretly wanted the bill to pass but were afraid of being tarred as racist.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rent-A-Cop posted:

So what's up with the Danes banning the burqa/niqab? From what little English language coverage I can find it looks like half the parliament didn't even bother to show up for the vote.

Denmark is really racist

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Andrast posted:

Denmark is really racist
That's not true. Denmark is really really racist. We've actually just introduced a 25h/week education in Danish traditions, cultural values, and norms - mandatory for 1 year olds in ghettos, which if they're not signed up for means their parents no longer get money for the kid like everyone else - this also applies if they do not themselves take part in scheduled activities or their kid skips too many classes.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Denmark has cultural values?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

Denmark has cultural values?

Racism is danish culture, they got on this train several decades before the rest of us.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Every day I understand a bit better why Swedes are allowed to shoot Danes on sight

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
so whats happening in italy

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Char posted:

Sorry for not being there when it counts:
we finally have a government, it only needs the formal proceedings and we're finally done.

The important message here is that an anti-euro hardline doesn't seem likely; what's more worrying is having a gallery of conservative rogues (metaforically speaking) in our ministries.

Yup :(

https://twitter.com/leonardocarella/status/1002572115609047040

Also, closet fascist Salvini in charge of police and immigration. They may not end up blowing up the EU, but they'll sure make people suffer.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

why "sold down the river", did M5S try to market itself to the gay community?

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Our majority parties have finished assembling their hideous vozhd of a government, and are set to start wreaking havoc on our institutional, democratic and civil lives.

Key highlights are a neofascist anti abortion activist and firm believer in the threat of 'ethnic substitution' being put in charge of the family ministry, notorious immigrant hater and police brutality denier Salvini at the interior ministry, half-illiterate, mostly jobless until today Di Maio at the ministry for work, and the anti-euro professor who was previously the cause of the institutional crisis as recipient of the presidential veto in charge of European affairs.

Also, we now have a minister for 'direct democracy' and some other buffoons I can't remember OTOH. Gonna be a fun time until the coalition collapses on the dumbest of poo poo but not before doing irreparable damage.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

large adult son posted:

why "sold down the river", did M5S try to market itself to the gay community?

They seem to have done so in the past, but more recently blocked an attempt to legalise civil unions if that also meant that gay couples could adopt. I'm sure the Italians in this thread could tell you more though.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Pluskut Tukker posted:

They seem to have done so in the past, but more recently blocked an attempt to legalise civil unions if that also meant that gay couples could adopt.

To be fair that particular debacle with the gay couple adoptions ties in with the strategy of M5S finding any possible loophole not to vote with the government coalition, even when they in principle would have approved it. Like when they themselves introduced a motion for Italy withdrawing from the military mission in afghanistan and subsequently voted against it themselves after it garnered support of one of the minority parties of the government coalition.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Also, closet fascist Salvini in charge of police and immigration. They may not end up blowing up the EU, but they'll sure make people suffer.

I wonder if they are going to sell a very hard stance on immigration as standing up to Merkel/Berlin even though Berlin would be very happy about it by staying true to the idiotic narrative that Mrs. Merkel wants lots of Muslim immigrants in Europe because reason?

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

mortons stork posted:

To be fair that particular debacle with the gay couple adoptions ties in with the strategy of M5S finding any possible loophole not to vote with the government coalition, even when they in principle would have approved it. Like when they themselves introduced a motion for Italy withdrawing from the military mission in afghanistan and subsequently voted against it themselves after it garnered support of one of the minority parties of the government coalition.

I don't understand the fairness of subsuming gay rights to some fancy-rear end political strategy.

GaussianCopula posted:

I wonder if they are going to sell a very hard stance on immigration as standing up to Merkel/Berlin even though Berlin would be very happy about it by staying true to the idiotic narrative that Mrs. Merkel wants lots of Muslim immigrants in Europe because reason?

It's 2018, objective reality doesn't matter anymore if you've got a strong enough media and internet presence.

Pluskut Tukker fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 1, 2018

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Pluskut Tukker posted:

I don't understand the fairness of subsuming gay rights to some fancy-rear end political strategy.

It's 2018, objective reality doesn't matter anymore if you've got a strong enough media and internet presence.

It ain't fair. I should have worded it better. "to be precise" would've been more appropriate. But yes, it was nevertheless part of their political strategy of attempting to sink any proposal from the government and blaming the government for it. It also worked stupendously, to the point they are now the first stand-alone party by electoral result. They are the practical manifestation of how a liberal democracy dies.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

mortons stork posted:

It ain't fair. I should have worded it better. "to be precise" would've been more appropriate. But yes, it was nevertheless part of their political strategy of attempting to sink any proposal from the government and blaming the government for it. It also worked stupendously, to the point they are now the first stand-alone party by electoral result. They are the practical manifestation of how a liberal democracy dies.

It occurs to me that it is also exactly what the Republicans in the US did from Obama's election onwards. When you pay no price for political obstruction but the governing party is punished by voters for failing to get results, mindless opposition becomes the dominant strategy for opposition parties everywhere. I don't see a good way to address it though.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Pluskut Tukker posted:

It occurs to me that it is also exactly what the Republicans in the US did from Obama's election onwards. When you pay no price for political obstruction but the governing party is punished by voters for failing to get results, mindless opposition becomes the dominant strategy for opposition parties everywhere. I don't see a good way to address it though.

Only let well adjusted, smart people vote - or at least have something like the Prussian three-class franchise that reduces the impact of stupid people.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

GaussianCopula posted:

Only let well adjusted, smart people vote - or at least have something like the Prussian three-class franchise that reduces the impact of stupid people.
Noted good decision makers the Prussians.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

GaussianCopula posted:

Bold move, arguing to take away your vote.

also, noted good voters, smart and wealthy people.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

I'm sure GC agrees that they are.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Deltasquid posted:

Every day I understand a bit better why Swedes are allowed to shoot Danes on sight

Alas, these laws have been updated since the good old days of mutual fratricide.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

Only let well adjusted, smart people vote

ahahahahahaha, the loving irony. i'm giggling like an idiot about this

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

GaussianCopula posted:

Wtf. who looks at Prussia and goes "yes, a democratic society to emulate"

persopolis
Mar 9, 2017
To be fair, they did have cool uniforms!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

GaussianCopula posted:

Nice of you to give up the vote.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

Budget deficits because of having to be the in an economic union with a heavyweight exporter like Germany, forced into austerity by the vultures running said union, leading to a pissed off population voting in the only parties promising to do something about it. Very strange

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

Only let well adjusted, smart people vote

willingly rescinding your right to v-

steinrokkan posted:

Nice of you to give up the vote.

gently caress

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Yup :(

https://twitter.com/leonardocarella/status/1002572115609047040

It's gonna be a helluva competition to see which entity will be the last in Western Europe to get gay marriage isn't it.
The Italian mess VS Swiss glacier progress VS the Orange Order.
Who will take the glory of last??

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Grape posted:

It's gonna be a helluva competition to see which entity will be the last in Western Europe to get gay marriage isn't it.
The Italian mess VS Swiss glacier progress VS the Orange Order.
Who will take the glory of last??
Same-sex marriage in the Republic of Ireland has been legal since 2015 so Italy obviously. Or maybe some backward mountain place like Andora or Lichtenstein.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

The Orange Order bit refers to Northern Ireland, which doesn't have marriage equality even though the Republic and the rest of the United Kingdom has it.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Italy does have gay civil unions since 2016. They had to amend the part about adoptions because the government was essentially grosse koalition and the centerleft party had to coax and blackmail its right wing allies into it. But technically we are in the 21st century. As of yet.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Oh yes, my bad. Forgot Northern Ireland got the DUP. So "maybe some backward place like Andora or Lichtenstein or Northern Ireland".

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

mortons stork posted:

Italy does have gay civil unions since 2016. They had to amend the part about adoptions because the government was essentially grosse koalition and the centerleft party had to coax and blackmail its right wing allies into it. But technically we are in the 21st century. As of yet.

Civil Unions are great, but they're not marriage dude.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

tekz posted:

Budget deficits because of having to be the in an economic union with a heavyweight exporter like Germany, forced into austerity by the vultures running said union, leading to a pissed off population voting in the only parties promising to do something about it. Very strange

Italy was running a deficit in the 90ies, today has about the same debt level (relative to GDP) as in the 90ies and pays less in interest rates (relative to GDP) than during the 90ies. Italians own more on average than Germans (once again relative to GDP, but also in absolute terms).

Very Strange, indeed.

Einbauschrank fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jun 2, 2018

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Grape posted:

Civil Unions are great, but they're not marriage dude.
Well, Lorenzo Fontana, Vice-President of the Chamber of Deputies, just had another loving masterstroke (or blood in the brain i don't know) and declared that he had "nothing against homosexuals but the homosexual family doesn't exist", so i wouldn't hope for some quick incoming changes. Unless there are elections again in August.
Oh and then he went on a rant against abortion.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jun 2, 2018

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Einbauschrank posted:

Italy was running a deficit in the 90ies, today has about the same debt level (relative to GDP) as in the 90ies and pays less in interest rates (relative to GDP) than during the 90ies. Italians own more on average than Germans (once again relative to GDP, but also in absolute terms).

Very Strange, indeed.

It's this great conspiracy theory that Germany forced the Euro on the EU to subjugate all of Europe economically, because as everyone knows, having a weak currency is what everyone wants...

It has nothing to do with the fact that the Club Med binged on cheap credit and is unable to fix it's problems of corruption, clientelism and inefficient administration.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

It's this great conspiracy theory that Germany forced the Euro on the EU to subjugate all of Europe economically, because as everyone knows, having a weak currency is what everyone wants...

Not so much a conspiracy theory as a description of what is almost literally happening? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

MiddleOne posted:

Not so much a conspiracy theory as a description of what is almost literally happening? :shrug:
GC takes the fact that Germany was cajoled into the Euro as a perfect defense of everything Germany has done as part of the Euro. Doesn't matter that it twisted everything for its benefit, because it didn't want to be part of the Euro in the first place.