Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There must be some kind of joke with the sumo wrestlers that I'm not getting.

A single basho lasts 15 days and there are 6 of them throughout the year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Yawgmoth posted:

He strikes me more as a dude who has watched a handful of Kurosawa films and thinks he's some sort of scholar because of it. He puts himself out there as some kind of writing/gameplay genius but his writing is just the same four tropes shuffled together repeatedly, and his gameplay is about as mechanically sound as the k'nex tower I made when I was 7.

Thing is, pretty much all of Kurosawa's medieval films have a strong subtext of "this caste system is utter bullshit".

Serf
May 5, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Thing is, pretty much all of Kurosawa's medieval films have a strong subtext of "this caste system is utter bullshit".

people often don't pick up on subtext

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Serf posted:

people often don't pick up on subtext

people often don't pick up on text

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Are we talking about Warhammer again

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean, it's not even subtext. The theme is right there in most of his films.

Halloween Jack posted:

Are we talking about Warhammer again

omg guys these skulls everywhere are so cool i wish 40k were right now because we'd actually have a functioning government LOL

...I say that sarcastically, but I know there are forums out there filled with people who would post that poo poo unironically.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Wick doesn't strike me as a guy who would pick up on subtext

or text text

or being beaten over the head with a shovel with the words stamped into it so it leaves bruises in the shape of words in his flesh

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I'll teach you something the text will never tell you.

wait i mean
will...
never...
tell...
you...

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 1, 2018

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

LuiCypher posted:

omg guys these skulls everywhere are so cool i wish 40k were right now because we'd actually have a functioning government LOL

...I say that sarcastically, but I know there are forums out there filled with people who would post that poo poo unironically.

Ok, wait, I’ve never seen any community actually do this en masse beyond the odd rando. The most I get from warhammer fans on places like Bell of Lost Souls or Spikey Bitz is some dude larping for laughs as a terrified serf while trumpeting the virtues of the Imperium like eighteen hour work days, blind paranoia, and nutritious corpse starch. The closest you can get to pro-Imperial apologia is alt-history wank about how it might have been something good if the Horus Heresy didn’t happen, and a general feeling that the house of cards would simply collapse due to external pressure if anyone ever tried for a massive internal revolt.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Wick is basically the real life tabletop Garth Marenghi

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I wish I were good enough at that I could whip y'all into half as big a frenzy as this guy. zak s is good. narrative games suck. I hate hte bands you like. why isn't this working??

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

Wick is basically the real life tabletop Garth Marenghi
The only person who has written more games than he's played.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I wish I were good enough at that I could whip y'all into half as big a frenzy as this guy. zak s is good. narrative games suck. I hate hte bands you like. why isn't this working??
https://youtu.be/ibEdgQJEdTA

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
https://youtu.be/MYwd0Wus5Ik

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Wick says stuff like how sexism is bad, but he does it in a way that’s sort of annoying, so that might as well put him just shy of Elliot Roger.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Wick is absolutely hated less then others, but it's way more fun to hate Wick.

Wick's not the dude who makes you clench your fists or try to never talk about again, Wick's the dude that, on being mentioned, gets you to roll your eyes and groan "oh god, that rear end in a top hat."

Serf
May 5, 2011

like is anyone actually mad at wick? did he gently caress over people on the KS for 7th sea or something? because it seems like people are just having fun making GBS threads on him for being bad at elfgaming and an overwrought writer

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

Wick is absolutely hated less then others, but it's way more fun to hate Wick.

Wick's not the dude who makes you clench your fists or try to never talk about again, Wick's the dude that, on being mentioned, gets you to roll your eyes and groan "oh god, that rear end in a top hat."

I don't hate anyone.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm sure people were mad at him when he was loving up popular games that they liked, but now it's just a remembered anger for L5R fans, I suppose.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
He made an RPG about being a cat so he’s okay in my book.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Serf posted:

like is anyone actually mad at wick? did he gently caress over people on the KS for 7th sea or something? because it seems like people are just having fun making GBS threads on him for being bad at elfgaming and an overwrought writer

I dunno duderino, a lot of people here seem to be acting like John Wick stole their car and killed their dog.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Getsuya posted:

He made an RPG about being a cat so he’s okay in my book.
oh poo poo wait did I help start it????

I know you guys aren't like, steaming at the ears, and he's probably just a not-at-all self-aware blowhard but I want him to be some sort of ur-troll based on the volume of complaints.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

oh poo poo wait did I help start it????

I know you guys aren't like, steaming at the ears, and he's probably just a not-at-all self-aware blowhard but I want him to be some sort of ur-troll based on the volume of complaints.

Nah I made the fatal mistake of asking "wait what's wrong with person X" in a Games thread, so this one's on me.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

I dunno duderino, a lot of people here seem to be acting like John Wick stole their car and killed their dog.

i went back and checked, and nah. its just people making fun of him for being dumb. maybe a little anger here and there but nothing wild

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Serf posted:

i went back and checked, and nah. its just people making fun of him for being dumb. maybe a little anger here and there but nothing wild

They’re acting like John Wick murdered a dude at a hotel, when the only rule he had to follow was not murder dudes at the hotel.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

He looks like that old Cooper dude from Mad Men wearing a Sandra Bullock wig. Imagine him leering at you so hard that you hide in a hoodie.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Bedlamdan posted:

Wick says stuff like how sexism is bad, but he does it in a way that’s sort of annoying, so that might as well put him just shy of Elliot Roger.

He likes to talk performatively, but he's also not one to shy away from making tape jokes and then doubling down in a dismissive sort of way when called out on it, so...

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
e: nevermind, requested something that was already forthcoming

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

the problem here is that Wick is basically a guy with opinions so awful that when he says "narrative games are great, gently caress D&D" it makes those opinions suspect, which is aggravating to people here for completely different reasons than what you're mimicking in this quote :v:

personally i think it's great that there's a storygaming grog who's completely married to lovely 90s storygaming RPGs and hates D&D for sins like having rules and being a game

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Wick is like a 20/80 split of kinda halfway decent ideas to dumb bullshit, but the decent ideas are as ARB points out in his review pretty obvious and well-trod ground, meanwhile the rest is actually bad advice for running games. Nobody here is having a two minute hate for pointing this out or making fun of his self-aggrandizing attempts to come off as the elfgame equivalent of the Bastard Operator From Hell.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Have you tried working for Ryan Dancey? That might get you in the proper fury zone.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
The GM advice in his newer games, like 7S 2e, is just fine though?

(The game itself is dogshit, but that's just because the rules suck and the math doesn't work.)

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Tsilkani posted:

He likes to talk performatively, but he's also not one to shy away from making tape jokes and then doubling down in a dismissive sort of way when called out on it, so...

I am glad that we are coming down hard on problematic jokes here on Something Awful, the home of swap.avi

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'm gonna cut through this stupid poo poo and instead ask: Does anyone know what happened to nationgames/nationsims? Haven't seen those on the forum for a long while and the only one I saw is off-site.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I think there was a forums banner ad for people still playing one here, but I don't remember the name and it looks like it rotated out.

I'm sure the citizens of buttlandia have build all sorts of legends and stories about where their leader might have gone.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I use adblocker.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Plutonis posted:

I'm gonna cut through this stupid poo poo and instead ask: Does anyone know what happened to nationgames/nationsims? Haven't seen those on the forum for a long while and the only one I saw is off-site.

They go the same was as every ambitious goon game: dying one day to two weeks in.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Plutonis posted:

I use adblocker.
You'd be insane not to but I like the ads purchased by goons, they are often funny whether on purpose or not.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

dwarf74 posted:

The GM advice in his newer games, like 7S 2e, is just fine though?

(The game itself is dogshit, but that's just because the rules suck and the math doesn't work.)

I can only speak to Play Dirty 2 which one might assume would be better given the amount of time and potential distance between that and the first installment but isn't really. I didn't back 7th Sea 2E because I strongly suspected that the rules would suck and the math wouldn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Bedlamdan posted:

John Wick killed my dog so I had to go hire the other John Wick.