Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I honour you for the above statement. Good job!
(not making fun of you)

Devian666 posted:

Of course the Minister responsible at the time is making excuses for being an idiot, and wasting huge amounts of public money.
Is he at fault? Or is the true guilty party the voters who insist on absolute perfection in the real world?

How does things play out when politicians make reasonable decisions based on cost-benefits analysis? How often do their opponents cry out "But the children!!!" and the voters turn on these decent politicians? Better to waste taxpayers money than risk yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

John Smith posted:

Is he at fault? Or is the true guilty party the voters who insist on absolute perfection in the real world?

How does things play out when politicians make reasonable decisions based on cost-benefits analysis? How often do their opponents cry out "But the children!!!" and the voters turn on these decent politicians? Better to waste taxpayers money than risk yourself.

Yes, definitely at fault for a waste of over $100m as well as significant harm to the community. She was very focused on getting people off benefits which resulted in a massive surge in homelessness, and she's party to this problem.

We'll see how it plays out but she's suffered a considerable loss of credibility and a lot of people are angry about it, including a core demographic that votes for her party. The housing issue was a major political problem that cost her party the recent election too. While there's a lot of bad with taxpayer money she's also unlikely to be a cabinet minister again so she'll probably never get the good money again.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

John Smith posted:

I honour you for the above statement. Good job!
(not making fun of you)

If the electorate elect lovely politicians, or elect non-lovely politicians and then incentivize them to act lovely, it's the electorate's fault.
If the politicians do lovely things it's the politicians' fault.
If the politicians and media create an atmosphere where it's easier to elect lovely politicians then it's the politicians'abd media's fault.

Fault and shittiness are not limited resources in politics, and they're not a zero sum game. If everyone is at fault then that doesn't mean the people with the actual individual influence and power to make meaningful, widespread changes are not at fault when they deliberately and maliciously hurt a lot of people for their own disproportionately small gain. And not holding politicians accountable for their actions is the exact opposite of incentivising non-lovely behaviour.

e: countdown to John Smith trying to twist "Individuals in power should be held accountable for how they use this power" into a justification for bootstrap libertarianism and the for-profit prison system.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jun 1, 2018

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Devian666 posted:

Yes, definitely at fault for a waste of over $100m as well as significant harm to the community. She was very focused on getting people off benefits which resulted in a massive surge in homelessness, and she's party to this problem.

We'll see how it plays out but she's suffered a considerable loss of credibility and a lot of people are angry about it, including a core demographic that votes for her party. The housing issue was a major political problem that cost her party the recent election too. While there's a lot of bad with taxpayer money she's also unlikely to be a cabinet minister again so she'll probably never get the good money again.
Yes, I understand and acknowledge her wrongdoing in this. While I am not familiar with your NZ situation, this sounds reasonable.

My point is that perhaps it is not wrongdoers that we should blame as the root cause, but those who bring about wrongdoers .

Splicer posted:

If the electorate elect lovely politicians, or elect non-lovely politicians and then incentivize them to act lovely, it's the electorate's fault.
True

Splicer posted:

If the politicians do lovely things it's the politicians' fault.
True

Splicer posted:

If the politicians and media create an atmosphere where it's easier to elect lovely politicians then it's the politicians'abd media's fault.
True, but immaterial. It is human nature to elect wrongdoers.

Splicer posted:

If everyone is at fault then that doesn't mean the people with the actual individual influence and power to make meaningful, widespread changes are not at fault when they deliberately and maliciously hurt a lot of people for their own disproportionately small gain. And not holding politicians accountable for their actions is the exact opposite of incentivising non-lovely behaviour.
True

Splicer posted:

e: countdown to John Smith trying to twist "Individuals in power should be held accountable for how they use this power" into a justification for bootstrap libertarianism and the for-profit prison system.
Weak. If your beliefs are true, they can stand on their own.

Be the good that you preach and behave righteously yourself. I may preach extremism in personal responsibility, but I myself am the role model that I preach about.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

John Smith posted:

True, but immaterial. It is human nature to elect wrongdoers.

You are the most hackneyed of anime villains.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

John Smith posted:

Be the good that you preach and behave righteously yourself. I may preach extremism in personal responsibility, but I myself am the role model that I preach about.
I was kind of expecting you use what I was saying out of context to imply that wealthy individuals with political influence and disenfranchised or poverty stricken individuals have equal levels of agency over their situations. If you don't believe this then I have misjudged you.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

John Smith posted:

Holy poo poo, yea. It is quite typical for the Chinese to throw an elaborate wake lasting multiple days. Once again, being the mercenary money-grubbing people that we are, money features heavily. You are supposed to give a cash gift as a gesture of your condolences (I am not sure if this is true for every single Chinese group though).

If you are a prominent official or from a wealthy family, I can only imagine the extent it goes to. A large channel for corruption in China, I imagine.
“Sorry for your loss, Mr. Governor. Here is a little gesture, as per our cultural traditions” [Slips him 10k in cash]

Protip: We Chinese don't believe in the saying that you can't bring it with you. We bring our cash to the afterlife by burning (fake) paper money so that it joins us in the afterlife. The modern version even involves burning fake credit cards. I remember seeing on social media some creative fellow burning a fake bank building. Lol, that is creative thinking right there. Why just bring your bank money or bank credit card when you can bring the whole loving bank with you?

Why would you want a bunch of dead flowers?
Hey, in Mexico they burn effigies of everything from money to cars to houses on the Day of the Dead, it's a fun way to honour the dead and an excuse to show off your arts and crafts projects.

One webcomic I read has a robot in the future burn a paper model of himself so that he can serve his late owner in the afterlife, and considers it a potential loophole into said afterlife given the question of robots having souls or not isn't yet settled.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Space Gopher posted:

Yoga in the generic sense is basically a Hindu philosophy/religious practice of self-improvement leading to enlightenment.

Hatha yoga is the part that deals with physical strength, flexibility, and crazy poses. It's basically what most people outside Hindu religious traditions think of as "normal yoga."

In theory a "hatha yoga guru" might have done a lot of training and study of the religious and philosophical parts of yoga, as well as the physical exercise parts. In practice, well, it's probably someone who's decent at the physical poses, has a head full of orientalism and "secret truths of the mystical east" bullshit, and paid a few grand for classes making her a Certified Gurutm.

If I'm paying that much for a white girl in her 20s to instruct me in yoga she'd better be able to actually levitate, or demonstrate at least one ability of Dhalsim's.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Breetai posted:

You are the most hackneyed of anime villains.
You are inferior in your thinking ability. My facts are accurate, it is simply that you sharply disagree with my subjective opinions.

While you are entirely entitled to so disagree, it is regrettable that you are so limited that non-alignment with your narrow worldview is considered as evil.

Splicer posted:

I was kind of expecting you use what I was saying out of context to imply that wealthy individuals with political influence and disenfranchised or poverty stricken individuals have equal levels of agency over their situations. If you don't believe this then I have misjudged you.
Immaterial. No excuses.

We should be willing to defend our beliefs forthrightly. Particularly when the topic itself is misconduct.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hey, in Mexico they burn effigies of everything from money to cars to houses on the Day of the Dead, it's a fun way to honour the dead and an excuse to show off your arts and crafts projects.
Oh, really? The Chinese funeral offerings are commercial, people don't really hand-make the offerings.

John Smith fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jun 1, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

John Smith posted:

Immaterial. No excuses.

We should be willing to defend our beliefs forthrightly. Particularly when the topic involves hypocrisy, our own conduct should be proper.
Wait who's being hypocritical I'm lost now.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Splicer posted:

Wait who's being hypocritical I'm lost now.
I was referring to the politicians mouthing their words of caring for the voters, while in truth being perfectly willing to screw them over.

But then, I thought that this might not be true since I am assuming that she proactively made such claims. When in fact, I don't actually know much about NZ politics. Hence, I had edited it to misconduct.

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8mt81a/i_have_lost_everything_trying_to_help_a_friend_do/

Hope this hasn’t been posted yet.

quote:

I have lost everything trying to help a friend. Do I file for bankruptcy?

I'm 28 years old and had worked my entire life to accumulate over $66,000 only to give it all away over the last 10 months trying to help a friend.

I have given every penny to my name, sold all my material possessions and cash advanced all my credit cards to their max in an attempt to fix my friends problem which still hasn't gone away yet.

My credit score was in the 800's but is now around 500.

I have lost everything and am now drowning in around $15,000 of credit card debt.

Most of the debt is cash advance debt which makes the interest every month insane. It would probably take me at least a few years to pay it all off.

Do I live with it or is filing for bankruptcy a good option?

Edit:

I make less than $20,000 a year before taxes.

I estimate my expenses to around $12,000 a year not including the interest on my credit cards

quote:

Long story short, the friend won a settlement but needed to pay the IRS and Department of Revenue Recovery before his lawyer could write a check from the first disbursement. I was helping him with IRS and DRR payments that needed be made with a promise of reimbursement when the check came. I did what I did because I knew what getting the money would mean in the lives of his kids with special needs. I actually tutor his kids...

quote:

I haven't met the lawyer but I know his name and place of business. The only reason I haven't already talked to him is because my friend told me doing so would violate the NDA.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yikes.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
It was already posted but it's great enough to read again.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

please knock Mom! posted:

The guillotinee's eyes turn into crosses too early

Not early enough if you ask me

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Maybe they have a really fat neck

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Krispy Wafer posted:

Acting like an authority figure is almost like a video game God mode. If you project the right frequency, you can get away with a lot.

Just look at that guy who managed to make McDonalds employees strip and do stupid poo poo over the phone. Or any number of people who socially engineer others for information or access. You just can't slip up because the moment anyone doubts your position the gig is up. My job sometimes involves me calling our retail locations and asking them to do stuff in their server rooms that sounds suspicious without any real evidence to prove who I am. When I first started doing it I'd get pushback until I realized I have to operate like I'm their boss and their free choice in this matter is not even a consideration.
I hope you're using that skill to get idiots to flip all the switches! I'd post some YouTube prank links but I'm too lazy.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Also, my same friend with all the guns just finished a renovation of his kitchen and a powder room in his house. It cost somewhere in the mid 20k range, took 8 months, and he did all the work himself.

He did it because he put 3% down and pays PMI. He says that his free labor + the 25k or so will get him over the PMI threshold if he gets it reappraised.

I have no idea why he didn't just out 25k down on the mortgage 8 months ago. A big chunk of that cost went to new appliances. Do things that are theoretically movable, like his new fridge and garbage compactor even count towards a home appraisal?

I know that he probably isn't going to get a dollar for dollar value out of this remodel/reappraisal and I'm pretty sure he went about this plan to get rid of PMI in a dumb way, but I don't know exactly how dumb.
The real benefit for him is not the PMI but rather the fact that an updated kitchen and powder are nice to have. Its not the most efficient use of money. Also, for your friend with 10k of NRA fueled credit card debt, its definitely not the most efficient use of money.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

General Probe posted:

It was already posted but it's great enough to read again.

I really, really wish I could be there if/when he goes to the lawyers apparent place of business and it turns out to be a broom closet or PO box.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
That or the father and his special needs son are actually grifters who find tutors, befriend them, and then proceed to slowly scam them of all their money. The 'son' is actually a little person who smokes smelly cigars creating hilarity when the tutor unexpectedly stops by and he has to ditch his stogie in the goldfish bowl.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Quickie here.....

I had to go to the DHHR office to sign an affidavit against my ex-husband yesterday (sidenote: going to prison for not paying child support for 18 years is BWM and BWL). The way the office is set up is that you walk up to the window to sign in, and right next to the window is a big table where you can sit to fill out paperwork.

There was a guy sitting at the table, and when I glanced over at him while waiting, I noticed two things.

1) he was applying for foodstamps (no judgement on that, sometimes poo poo happens) and

2) he had what looked like some kind of textbook sitting on top of a notebook (hey, cool, he's going to school & trying to better his situation!)

Then I noticed what the book actually was....

https://www.amazon.com/Blockchain-T...27935542&sr=8-6

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

We need to build the foodchain to replace food stamps

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Overheard a few people sitting in the waiting room of a socialized labor hellhole (:canada:) complaining about how they didn't like the current federal government in general and environmental regulation specifically because "gas is expensive and I drive a truck". Voting against your own long term interests because you spent 1.5-2 years salary on a truck is totes on the BWM spectrum.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Krispy Wafer posted:

That or the father and his special needs son are actually grifters who find tutors, befriend them, and then proceed to slowly scam them of all their money. The 'son' is actually a little person who smokes smelly cigars creating hilarity when the tutor unexpectedly stops by and he has to ditch his stogie in the goldfish bowl.

I wish very much for this to be true. I would watch that movie starring Billy Bob Thornton.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Guest2553 posted:

Overheard a few people sitting in the waiting room of a socialized labor hellhole (:canada:) complaining about how they didn't like the current federal government in general and environmental regulation specifically because "gas is expensive and I drive a truck". Voting against your own long term interests because you spent 1.5-2 years salary on a truck is totes on the BWM spectrum.

California Republicans are currently fighting a gas tax that goes to fund roads. There's holes in the legislation that would be great to be plugged up so it doesn't end up some slush fund, but overall that's exactly how taxes should work and the fact that they're fighting it shows that the right-wing of the US is a disingenuous piece of poo poo. The most attractive part about right-wing politics is that it somehow gets to be the "bootstraps" party and "everyone else is at fault for you not being successful" party at the same time. Seems to be a common element worldwide.

In BWM news, my roommate is broke. That's bad! She had a job in which she was pretty well matched in terms of skill and experience, but it didn't pay enough and she believes she's better than it, so she burned that bridge and left it. In her pursuit of stable income, she literally applies for jobs based on its salary. She applied for a product manager job in an industry in which she has no experience because it paid well. In truth, the hiring manager is at fault here for even agreeing to give her an interview, but she's also dumb for thinking she'd have a shot. She literally looked through catalogs of that particular industry for "research." Is that what people do-- apply to any random $75K a year job and hope they get it?

She's also is buying random drop-shipment bullshit from China to see if she can "resell it" while simultaneously mocking a friend for making an investment that was clearly not going to pay off in a field in which he had no experience. Again, she has no actual experience in digital sales or SEO (whatever's left of SEO). She asked if I would help with this website. Uh, no. At least she's off that Rodan and Fields poo poo, but I count down the days to when I see some sort of Lularoe box at the doorstep.

Her "I'm going to get out of being poor" plan is to find people to "make her a program" that basically does automated A/B optimization testing and UX optimization on websites and QA. She thinks that this is possible because, well, computers. She buys things online so that makes her qualified to do UI/UX consulting. I've explained that some of this already exists, and the other is not really possible to automate at this point but her technical knowledge is so non-existent that I can't reach her and at this point, I don't really give a gently caress anymore.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 2, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
So when's your lease up?

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Blinkman987 posted:

California Republicans are currently fighting a gas tax that goes to fund roads. There's holes in the legislation that would be great to be plugged up so it doesn't end up some slush fund, but overall that's exactly how taxes should work and the fact that they're fighting it shows that the right-wing of the US is a disingenuous piece of poo poo. The most attractive part about right-wing politics is that it somehow gets to be the "bootstraps" party and "everyone else is at fault for you not being successful" party at the same time. Seems to be a common element worldwide.

Wow you really hate republicans don’t you. Let’s just ignore the fact that California has raised gas taxes in the past to fix the roads and then spent the money else where. Ya let’s totally trust this time is different. :zaurg:

And lots of people are against the tax increase (that already went into affect) that aren’t republicans, including myself.

California is BWM.

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 2, 2018

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Dustoph posted:

California has raised gas taxes in the past to fix the roads and then spent the money else where.

Sounds bad with money

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Splicer posted:

So when's your lease up?

Not for a while, but I have a contract in place, she has a trust, and my financial exposure is pretty limited so it's whatever.

Dustoph posted:

Wow you really hate republicans don’t you. Let’s just ignore the fact that California has raised gas taxes in the past to fix the roads and then spent the money else where. Ya let’s totally trust this time is different. :zaurg:

And lots of people are against the tax increase (that already went into affect) that aren’t republicans, including myself.

California is BWM.

I addressed that point, and Republicans are not against the gas tax because of spending loopholes. They love spending loopholes as much as anyone. They're against it on principle of all taxes are bad, which as an ideology has hosed this country so bad that they're deserving of everyone's hate.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Dustoph posted:

California is BWM.

Yeah but this time will be different.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Dustoph posted:

California is BWM.

Gas tax is regressive but it beats the hell out of spending my retirement years dying of starvation due to global warming-induced food shortages. Set that poo poo as high as possible.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Blinkman987 posted:

I addressed that point, and Republicans are not against the gas tax because of spending loopholes.

That literally is the reason though.

quote:

First, the passage of SB 1 represents a bailout for our transportation programs that have been habitually raided, mismanaged, and not made a priority in Sacramento. Nothing in SB 1 reverses any of the
transportation funding diversions previously enacted by Democrats in the Legislature. Hard working
California taxpayers should not be on the hook because Democrats in Sacramento have failed to make
transportation a priority.

http://documents.latimes.com/california-republicans-oppose-new-gas-tax/

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The CA GOP would oppose it no matter what, even if it injected cash directly into the asphalt. I think you know that, though.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Just like both political parties pretend to argue in good faith, you can all pretend that I posted an image of a toucan here.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
California is so BWM they tried to commit tax fraud on a state wide scale before the IRS went "lol no".

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/389029-irs-to-issue-guidance-on-state-workarounds-to-tax-law-provison

quote:

Politicians in blue states have proposed or enacted measures to provide workarounds to the cap on the SALT deduction. Some of these measures allow residents to make donations to state and local funds in exchange for credits against their state and local taxes. The intention is for the donations to also be deductible as charitable contributions on their federal income taxes, since the charitable deduction wasn't capped in the new tax law.

Treasury and the IRS said in their notice that "the proposed regulations will make clear that the requirements of the Internal Revenue Code, informed by substance-over-form principles, govern the federal income tax treatment of such transfers."

The agencies also said that "taxpayers should be mindful that federal law controls the proper characterization of payments for federal income tax purposes."

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

therobit posted:

Just like both political parties pretend to argue in good faith, you can all pretend that I posted an image of a toucan here.

Pretend I posted a toucan as well.

What I’m saying is toucan play at that game.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Pretend I posted a toucan as well.

Anything to stop them from parroting their talking points.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

If it's just going to be a game of one-upmanship about one party vs another, take it over to D&D

therobit posted:

Anything to stop them from parroting their talking points.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Boo

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Moneyball posted:

If it's just going to be a game of one-upmanship about one party vs another, take it over to D&D

Boo

Would it be considered mod sass to request that you rephrase this as a bird pun?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

therobit posted:

Would it be considered mod sass

Owl allow it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Blinkman987 posted:

California Republicans are currently fighting a gas tax that goes to fund roads. There's holes in the legislation that would be great to be plugged up so it doesn't end up some slush fund, but overall that's exactly how taxes should work

Gas taxes were great before electric vehicles started becoming popular, but now that they are gas burned becomes less and less accurate a proxy for miles driven and it's a problem that is just going to get worse. Raise the tax, you further incentivize people switching to non-IC cars, the tax falls disproportionately harder on people who can't afford those, revenues drop. Do you just raise the tax further, exacerbating the problem, or do you find a new way to fund roads?

Did the bill banning gas cars in California by 2040 pass, by the way? If it did that'd seem to require some new source of road maintenance funds in a pretty short window.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

California is so BWM they tried to commit tax fraud on a state wide scale before the IRS went "lol no".

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/389029-irs-to-issue-guidance-on-state-workarounds-to-tax-law-provison

This was egregiously stupid and never ever had a chance of passing legal muster. One of the defining things of a charitable contribution is that you don't receive like value for it. There's no way you could call taxes a charitable donation, since the taxes you pay go to things of value like, oh, road maintenance.

Anyway, here's potentially the craziest cryptocurrency yet. No surprise that it involves John McAfee:

https://www.ccn.com/eccentric-ico-promoter-john-mcafee-says-hes-releasing-a-physical-cryptocurrency/amp/

quote:

The physical notes come in seven denominations, ranging from 1 to 500 MRUs. Four of the notes feature pictures of McAfee in various stages of undress, including one in which he is surrounded by women, his nose covered in white powder (it’s a screenshot from this video). The other three MRU notes feature pictures of Bitmain founder Jihan Wu, cryptocurrency entrepreneur Brock Pierce, and Bitcoin.com owner (and Bitcoin Cash promoter) Roger Ver. It’s not clear if these three figures gave their consent to have their likenesses featured on MRU notes.

He said that the currency will also have a blockchain component (because why not?) that will allow MRU holders to convert the notes back into fiat (for a fee) by returning them to the MRU Foundation.

Each MRU has an initial face value of $9.95 and can be redeemed for a one-minute in-person meeting with McAfee (yes, they’re stackable). McAfee said that 341,000 MRU notes of different denominations have been printed, with a total circulation of 6,050,000 MRU and an implied market cap of $60.2 million.

Assuming the 72-year-old McAfee set aside 10 hours per day to meet with MRU holders (including weekends and holidays), it would take him nearly 28 years to fulfill these obligations. Given his age and lifestyle, that timeline is perhaps a tad optimistic. In the event of his untimely death, MRU holders will not receive any compensation.

There’s a case to be made that the redemption process is perhaps even more convoluted than attempting to withdraw USD from Tether. According to a message printed on the notes, they can only be redeemed in person in Mexico during a two-hour window each day, at which time the owner will be given a particular date, time, and location in the United States in which he or she will be able to meet with McAfee. Individuals, incidentally, may only redeem 100 MRUs at a time.