Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Did font sizes on the header and footer change in an update or did my 2 year old do something to my phone when I wasn't looking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You mean the title bar and the page bar at the bottom? The page bar got updated recently (still beta I think) and now it reflects the font size you set on the device itself, I think maybe the title bar got de-bolded a year or two ago?

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Recently something changed with the back button on Android: used to be if I clicked a quote that took me to a different thread (from the Funny Forums Quotes thread, for example), I could hit Back and it would take me back to the thread that linked me there. Now it just takes me back to the main forum directory, and that sucks I think.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah that'll be fixed next update :hai:

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Ok here's something that I assume is related to the back to frog issue. Just now I was in the middle of a reply, switched to Chrome to look something up, then switched back. It went to the frog first but then it did take me back to my reply, but it asked me the add/discard question. (It was a reply and not a quote.)

Not sure it always does this and not sure it always goes to the frog first, but this was definitely not a one time thing.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

That's just the app recreating (the frog splash is the app starting up from cold) and then restoring it's state (loads the reply activity, but now you have a draft it saved when the app was closed by the system earlier)

Honestly it seems like the app itself is working fine, not crashing or anything, and it's just getting closed because of memory pressure on the system - your phone needs to close stuff and Awful gets the chop. If you're definitely not running stuff that demands memory (like games), or "performance" apps that close stuff, and your device has a lot of memory to spare and you're not opening tons of apps, I don't really know

Do you tend to read threads with loads of big pictures, or video, anything like that? And are those open when the app closes in the background? What's your average memory use for Awful, in your phone's Memory section in the settings? If it's getting big for some reason, that would for sure make the system prioritise closing it

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Any chance of getting tweets embedded?

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Settings - Posts - Embedding - Tweets ?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
tyvm

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
It happened only briefly a couple of weeks ago, but now I haven't been able to display linked images nor video in the app for the past couple of days.

Anybody know what is up?

Edit: also, Awful no longer turns off my screen while it is in focus.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 19, 2018

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Is there a way to bring up the standard image tooltip (display, download, etc) if an image is spoiler blocked? Currently the only two options are "is under a spoiler block" and "possibly too small to read".

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I'm pretty sure it just toggles the spoiler off and on again, so the menu never gets triggered. I've seen that myself, it should probably just reveal when you tap and then work like the spoiler was never there

Ghostpilot posted:

It happened only briefly a couple of weeks ago, but now I haven't been able to display linked images nor video in the app for the past couple of days.

Anybody know what is up?

Edit: also, Awful no longer turns off my screen while it is in focus.

The screen off thing is fixed in beta!

What do you mean about linked images? Stuff in [img] tags is displaying as link when you have that option turned off? Or people are posting links to images, but the link menu isn't letting you do display image / show inline?

And is it all videos, or just some in particular? You definitely have embedding turned on? I've definitely been seeing an issue with some embedded stuff recently, seems like everything on a page can fail to embed sometimes - I'm assuming one thing is breaking and stopping everything else, because when you have old posts on the page hidden, you can get embeds working in the new displayed posts. So if there's a connection here, any specifics about what you're seeing are helpful!

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

baka kaba posted:

The screen off thing is fixed in beta!

What do you mean about linked images? Stuff in [img] tags is displaying as link when you have that option turned off? Or people are posting links to images, but the link menu isn't letting you do display image / show inline?

And is it all videos, or just some in particular? You definitely have embedding turned on? I've definitely been seeing an issue with some embedded stuff recently, seems like everything on a page can fail to embed sometimes - I'm assuming one thing is breaking and stopping everything else, because when you have old posts on the page hidden, you can get embeds working in the new displayed posts. So if there's a connection here, any specifics about what you're seeing are helpful!

Wasn't the screen-off thing fixed awhile back?

I have everything set to embed / display inline and haven't changed any settings. This is what I'll see.

https://imgur.com/gallery/MME7dDK

What you are describing sounds like the issue I've been having.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 11:13 on May 19, 2018

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Hrm, so they are loading, they're just zero height for some reason 🤔 got a link to that thread page?

And the screen on fix is only in the beta version at the moment - are you on that? Because uh oh if so (you can check your version in Settings > About, or the changelog will mention it)

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Ghostpilot posted:

Wasn't the screen-off thing fixed awhile back?

I have everything set to embed / display inline and haven't changed any settings. This is what I'll see.

https://imgur.com/gallery/MME7dDK

What you are describing sounds like the issue I've been having.

Links a imgur gallery with a single image when those never work inline hmmm

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

baka kaba posted:

Hrm, so they are loading, they're just zero height for some reason 🤔 got a link to that thread page?

And the screen on fix is only in the beta version at the moment - are you on that? Because uh oh if so (you can check your version in Settings > About, or the changelog will mention it)

Sure, here it is: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3605440

Images in the thread have loaded inline properly in the past, even in the past week or so.

As for the version I'm on, it's 3.3.3.

drunken officeparty posted:

Links a imgur gallery with a single image when those never work inline hmmm

A: I never said that was an issue.

B: I was posting from my phone at the time, and when I link the image inline - like I had attempted before changing to the gallery link (hence the edit) - I can't verify that it works.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Ghostpilot posted:

Sure, here it is: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3605440

Images in the thread have loaded inline properly in the past, even in the past week or so.

As for the version I'm on, it's 3.3.3

I can't replicate it personally (and I haven't seen it happening either) so it's hard to know what the issue is, but 3.4.1 is the current version - maybe updating will help?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Updated and the it's all good now, thanks! :toot: Thought I had it auto-update, but clearly not. I'll correct that, but thanks again!

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I signed up for the beta for no reason and now the app reverts to the homepage every time I switch away. I un-beta'd but it didn't revert the app back. How do I fix my own idiocy.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

You'd need to uninstall and reinstall the app - betas just act like a newer version for the app to update to, so it won't roll back to the "older" version

That business is getting fixed though, I swears. It just turned into part of a bigger thing

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Still begging for a GIFV/MP4 share menu.

Still love the app.

Professor Skittles
Jul 10, 2008
Can you get notifications if you are quoted in a thread?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Wasabi the J posted:

Still begging for a GIFV/MP4 share menu.

Still love the app.

At some point! I'll see if I can find a quick solution

Professor Skittles posted:

Can you get notifications if you are quoted in a thread?

Nah, the site would have to push those events to clients and there's nothing like that. The only way we could do it is to keep loading the threads (all of them), and that would be bad

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

What are favorites and how is that different than bookmarks

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

drunken officeparty posted:

What are favorites and how is that different than bookmarks

Favorites are pinned forums and bookmarks are followed threads.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeaaaah that should probably be reworded for people in tablet mode, the tooltip at least

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

For the last couple weeks or so, the app doesn't appear in the app switcher. It just fades into some other app.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

The what now?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This thingy. Awful was in focus when I hit the button, but disappeared/turned into gmail.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

KillHour posted:

This thingy. Awful was in focus when I hit the button, but disappeared/turned into gmail.

Chrome was doing that for me once. Try uninstalling and reinstalling.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Om getting "no forums data" on the main index, but I can access my bookmarked threads Just fine.

Any idea what is going on?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

KillHour posted:

Uh not sure what would cause that. Seems like a system thing, even if the app crashed or something it should still be in the task switcher. As far as I'm aware apps can't even affect that. You didn't follow a link in the app that opened Gmail did you? (Or like, a link that opened a browser, and then in there a mailto link or something)

AlexanderCA posted:

Om getting "no forums data" on the main index, but I can access my bookmarked threads Just fine.

Any idea what is going on?

They're separate things - you should only have No Forums Data when you first install the app, or if you cleared the app data, and it should automatically fetch it when you open the app (with the loading spinner going)

You can force an update in Settings > Forum Index if you need to. Also - you haven't changed your password or anything have you? If your cookie's invalid you'll have to log in again

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thank you for the Imgur integration, it's super convenient and helpful.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

baka kaba posted:

They're separate things - you should only have No Forums Data when you first install the app, or if you cleared the app data, and it should automatically fetch it when you open the app (with the loading spinner going)

You can force an update in Settings > Forum Index if you need to. Also - you haven't changed your password or anything have you? If your cookie's invalid you'll have to log in again

Thanks, that clears it up.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

baka kaba posted:

Uh not sure what would cause that. Seems like a system thing, even if the app crashed or something it should still be in the task switcher. As far as I'm aware apps can't even affect that. You didn't follow a link in the app that opened Gmail did you? (Or like, a link that opened a browser, and then in there a mailto link or something)

It happens every time I open the app switcher, and only does it with awful.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

KillHour posted:

It's not awful. Your poo poo is broke.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

KillHour posted:

Did you uninstall and reinstall the app?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

sourdough posted:

Did you uninstall and reinstall the app?

Yes and I recently wiped the phone :iiam:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

KillHour posted:

Yes and I recently wiped the phone :iiam:

Sorry then, no idea. When it was happening to me with Chrome, I couldn't find a single complaint about it online 😬

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fart of Presto posted:

Settings - Posts - Embedding - Tweets ?

Holy fuckin poo poo I came to this thread to scream WHY DOESNT TWITTER EMBED WORK AAAAAHHH I HATE HAVING TO OPEN A BROWSER EVERY TINE but here it is, it's been there the whole time