Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It’s amazing to me that the last gen of consoles lasted as long as it did with the absolutely bizarre and underpowered hardware it had. I get the fact that the economy took a poo poo and died meant they weren’t going to release new consoles for a while, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Something equally impressive about The Last of Us on PS3 was that it had no visible load times, even on physical copies. There's like... 1-2 minutes of loading when you boot the game up, but once you're in there, it just goes with no breaks. It's wild.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

On the flip side of that, remember the Max Payne 3 cutscenes that was the game secretly loading and ya couldn't skip then and some were like 10+ minutes long :cry::cry:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

On the flip side of that, remember the Max Payne 3 cutscenes that was the game secretly loading and ya couldn't skip then and some were like 10+ minutes long :cry::cry:

You mean God of War :getin:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

It wasn’t even always loading when it said it was. On the PC version, my HD usage would be at 0 and it would say “still loading”. The wait times were hard coded in there for some reason.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It wasn’t even always loading when it said it was. On the PC version, my HD usage would be at 0 and it would say “still loading”. The wait times were hard coded in there for some reason.

For real it was probably for PC/console parity which is loving stupid but that's gaming for you

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
For those inclined, there’s a free Pride theme in the PSN store today.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Just fact checking from a few pages back; but a guy put a 2tb SSD in his PS4 providing VERIFIABLY largely no noticeable improvements in games, claimed it was essentially free, and called everyone who didn't believe him an idiot.

The facts are checked.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Someone post that pic from the hoarded out house where the guys got like 6 intercoolers attached to his ps4 on a sad little cart in the middle of a trash filled room

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

revolther posted:

Just fact checking from a few pages back; but a guy put a 2tb SSD in his PS4 providing VERIFIABLY largely no noticeable improvements in games, claimed it was essentially free, and called everyone who didn't believe him an idiot.

The facts are checked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGjSJwlHK6M

You been counter-checked

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Real hurthling! posted:

Someone post that pic from the hoarded out house where the guys got like 6 intercoolers attached to his ps4 on a sad little cart in the middle of a trash filled room

Please don’t doxx me

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

A 2TB SSD. :lol:

A goddamn drive worth more than the PS4 itself.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Vintersorg posted:

A goddamn drive worth more than the PS4 itself.

More than the PS4 itself including the drive that comes with it.

On the other hand the dude said they got it on such a deep discount they only paid $20 out of pocket for it, in which case, I mean... yeah, I would've done that too. Or just stuck it in my PC.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

No see, he had a gift card so it only cost $20! Or... he could have bought a $70 HDD and put the other $200 on the card toward something else.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Instant Grat posted:

Something equally impressive about The Last of Us on PS3 was that it had no visible load times, even on physical copies. There's like... 1-2 minutes of loading when you boot the game up, but once you're in there, it just goes with no breaks. It's wild.

I actually started replaying Last of Us recently on my old PS3 and its goddamn magical. The textures, lighting, load times.

Its like they found a guy who knew exactly how to squeeze every last bit of performance from the console

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

wa27 posted:

No see, he had a gift card so it only cost $20! Or... he could have bought a $70 HDD and put the other $200 on the card toward something else.

Man I know how it is when you have a gift card just kind of collecting dust and then you finally see something you could spend it on and you're like "it's either this or I just let this gift card expire, why not grab this thing"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

People have been comparing God of War to Dark Souls but I reiterate that it's more of a Knack-like. Elements in God of War that are in Knack but not in Dark Souls:

Gruff-voiced protagonists that open up new areas by lifting and throwing heavy poo poo
Button-mashing QTE-style events
Block-pushing and physics puzzles
Restoring health and resources by smashing rocks
On-rails vehicle sequences
Multiple skill trees
Parrying ranged attacks to reflect back at enemies
Kid sidekick that chimes in with constant commentary
Orange-tinted rage mode where you run around punching everyone to death

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Instant Grat posted:

Man I know how it is when you have a gift card just kind of collecting dust and then you finally see something you could spend it on and you're like "it's either this or I just let this gift card expire, why not grab this thing"

I thought gift cards don't expire anymore?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Knack meme is dead, let it rest in peace

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

MZ posted:

Celeste is great but one thing that keeps catching me out is that there is no visual way to tell if you are going to to a diagonal or straight dash, I'd love a little arrow indicator to show you this. I've died hundreds of times due to doing the wrong type of dash (diagonal when I meant to go straight, etc...).

That's what the death count is for!

nvm, you using the analog stick?? lmfao

Steve Yun posted:

Last of Us also bricked my launch PS3 by overheating the GPU

drat, that sucks, especially in a game where steady building of narrative momentum is a huge part of the deal. My fat PS3 got bricked several hours into Uncharted 3, and my fat PS2 bricked on God of War 2.

Naughty Dog and Santa Monica games kill consoles.

TLOU was the last PS3 game I played before getting a 4 and it was amazing how good it looked. 256mb of RAM !!!

It's loving mind blowing. Not only that but no loading and play during install and other poo poo that became more standard on PS4.

WaltherFeng posted:

I actually started replaying Last of Us recently on my old PS3 and its goddamn magical. The textures, lighting, load times.

Its like they found a guy who knew exactly how to squeeze every last bit of performance from the console

Now imagine 2LoU doing this for the PS4.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

People have been comparing God of War to Dark Souls but I reiterate that it's more of a Knack-like. Elements in God of War that are in Knack but not in Dark Souls:

Gruff-voiced protagonists that open up new areas by lifting and throwing heavy poo poo
Button-mashing QTE-style events
Block-pushing and physics puzzles
Restoring health and resources by smashing rocks
On-rails vehicle sequences
Multiple skill trees
Parrying ranged attacks to reflect back at enemies
Kid sidekick that chimes in with constant commentary
Orange-tinted rage mode where you run around punching everyone to death

also from some other GoW thread ....

Palpek posted:

*running in circles in the "fast travel world" while the level is loading, praying for the teleport to appear already* wow, it's all shot in one take
*very slowly crawling through a tunnel for the 20th time while the other side of it is loading* holy poo poo, the game never takes you out of the action
*solving a tedious physical puzzle because there's a single wooden plank nailed to the top of the ledge because the next room needs time to load* a remarkable technical achievement
*watching cutscenes, fully voice-acted and mo-caped explaining the game's lore on dwarves magically traveling between planes of existence following Kratos around because he still needs to stumble across shops on his one-take adventure* mindblowing how they did it

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Knack meme is dead, let it rest in peace
Your face is going to be very red this E3, when Mark Cerny walks out on stage

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

KNACK TRI.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BP you’re so feisty over GoW!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

BP you’re so feisty over GoW!

Heheh, it just cracked me up. Game is fine. I loaned my copy to friends to share the luurrrve. :black101:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Heheh, it just cracked me up. Game is fine. I loaned my copy to friends to share the luurrrve. :black101:

I just find it amusing haha. You’ve got great taste in general though so I can’t say much :love:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

I just find it amusing haha. You’ve got great taste in general though so I can’t say much :love:

I look forward to the next game's extended QT events ;)

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Is Agony out? Is it any good?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

nopantsjack posted:

Is Agony out? Is it any good?

It's bad. Supreme edgelord poo poo that even IGN gave a 4.0 to.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I been having some issues with HDR with my PS Pro with only certain things. It’s only happened with Netflix, FIFA 18 and Battlefront 2. Things look way brighter when I launch those games and a lot of the colors get really bright. My TVs HDR settings are fine so I’m thinking it has to do with those certain games.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

exquisite tea posted:

drat thats a shame

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Pablo Nergigante posted:

For real it was probably for PC/console parity which is loving stupid but that's gaming for you

IIRC it was just Rockstar being stupid because someone picked apart the 360 version and noticed a similar disparity where some cutscenes would be unskippable even though NOTHING was being loaded.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

The Surge is only 7gb :eyepop:

Mario Tennis Aces is 2gb

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mass Effect 2 made you sit through those load screens on the Normandy even when it was completely unnecessary for PC. Eventually I think there was a mod that let you load the floor instantly.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DrNutt posted:

I thought gift cards don't expire anymore?

Where I live standard ones don't but mall gift cards and Visa gift cards have this declining balance thing that kicks in if it's been a while after activation.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

exquisite tea posted:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Just ate a big rear end edible I got from a culinary arts student and am gonna play Yakuza 0 in about an hour.

Story missions might be a wee bit intense so I"m just gonna chill with my dude Majima (I just got control of him for the second time. This is right after I took mirakumo to my little safe house and am going to go figure out who the heck this bat tattoo is and why everyone hates her)

Wish me luck

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It's surprising whenever IGN gives out anything that's not in their very suggestive looking 8.0-9.0 bellcurve

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

beep by grandpa posted:

Just ate a big rear end edible I got from a culinary arts student and am gonna play Yakuza 0 in about an hour.

Story missions might be a wee bit intense so I"m just gonna chill with my dude Majima (I just got control of him for the second time. This is right after I took mirakumo to my little safe house and am going to go figure out who the heck this bat tattoo is and why everyone hates her)

Wish me luck

The last time I did this I shut down all my games and stared at the wall for like an hour so good luck to you.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

nopantsjack posted:

drat thats a shame

I wanted Agony to be a good game so bad but nah, hard pass on that. It looks really rough from gameplay videos. Not fun to play, not nearly as creative and hosed up as it wants to be. When I asked about it itt though I was recommended Scorn. It’s Windows only so I won’t be able to play it at this point but it looks like it could scratch the Agony itch in a much better designed way. Check it out.

I just want more hosed up :black101: hell realm games. I want a video game of The Void.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Runs into room, out of breath, cups hands around mouth

THERES A NEW SHAQ FU GAME