Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The momentum of Primaris Marines has really stalled. They need points balancing/Razorbacks/Purpose Built tanks.

(Maybe it'll work)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

dexefiend posted:

Edit: Deathwatch batrep: yeah, Deathwatch (and really all exGulliman marines) aren't strong, but at least you can mix and match your mans and have some fun. It is dumb that the strongest units in marine armies are Razorbacks. ... Oh and Sanguinius Jr., but at least he is rad.

Edit again: I guess it's just that the "best" offensive per point choices for Primaris Marines are so expensive per point of wounds that you play right into your opponents hands.

The prevalence of to hit modifiers and invulns just is the icing on the anti-Marine cake.

It seems like the best offensive guns in the game are Autocannons, and not Plasma.

The primaris that are out are mostly fine, they just need to design the other 5 units so you can have a complete army.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Or people need to accept that pure Primaris armies are dumb as hell and use some of the other 900 Space Marine units

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
That does make armies with Primaris about 100x more enjoyable yes. It would still be really nice to be able to cram my Intercessors into a Razorback or something so they can actually move around the table.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Anyone in the UK wanna split a Renegades box? Need a Knight to loot for my Orks, dont care about any of the terrain or anything else so you can keep all that stuff.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Zuul the Cat posted:

The momentum of Primaris Marines has really stalled. They need points balancing/Razorbacks/Purpose Built tanks.

(Maybe it'll work)

Sending you good juju.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Corrode posted:

Yes and no. It's ok, but trivial for the DE player to make it have to move and have to hit at -1, + non-idiots facing it will protect their Ravagers with Screaming Jets so you're at a further -1 to hit shooting at Venoms, so on a Relic Leviathan that's 4s. At that point you statistically kill a single Venom with all of its shooting, and you've expended 275pts for the privilege.

It might just be salt talking but I think Venoms either need a points hike or to lose their 5++. You get a tremendous little transport full of tools that ties up heavy poo poo in H2H for a turn and leaves at it's pleasure. It's remarkably survivable.

E: I still need to write up that tourney I went to. I'll do that tonight

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Mixed Deathwatch/Raven Guard 1850. Ravens sit back and camp, Deathwatch combat squad and move up. The Deathwatch squads and the Raven Guard Intercessors have the Aux Grenade Launcher as well.

quote:

Deathwatch Battalion
2x Primaris Watch Captains: Auto Bolt and Power Sword (98 each)

3x Primaris Squads: Intercessor Sgt with Auto Bolt and Power Sword, 5 Intercessors with Auto Bolt, 2 Aggressors, 2 Reavers (251 each)

Raven Guard Spearhead
Primaris Captain with Stalker (92)
Tech Marine (57)

Intercessor Squad (91)

2x Hellblaster Squads: Heavy Plasma (175)
Relic Leviathan with double Storm Cannon (309)

It doesn't have a lot of mobility but that seems like an inbuilt limitation for Primarii?

E: Maybe swap the Intercessors for a Hunter, otherwise the Tech Marine will sort of be standing around playing with himself if the Dread isn't getting hit a lot?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 1, 2018

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Miles O'Brian posted:

Anyone in the UK wanna split a Renegades box? Need a Knight to loot for my Orks, dont care about any of the terrain or anything else so you can keep all that stuff.

If you're not bothered about the warden frame I'm in. Was on the fence about it since I don't really want two vanilla knights, but one for half price plus some decent terrain would be great.

Edit: NZ preorders are up and that dumb rule is confirmed

xtothez fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 1, 2018

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Schadenboner posted:

Mixed Deathwatch/Raven Guard 1850. Ravens sit back and camp, Deathwatch combat squad and move up. The Deathwatch squads and the Raven Guard Intercessors have the Aux Grenade Launcher as well.

It doesn't have a lot of mobility but that seems like an inbuilt limitation for Primarii?

I would be annoyed when looking at the table and you're explain that "These black Primaris are Raven Guard but these other black Primaris who look very similar except from certain angles are Deathwatch." To me if you're doing mixed forces of marines they should at least be pretty visually distinct.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pendent posted:

I'm increasingly finding that they're just sort of boring to play as well. I still use a core of Intercessors and will probably be using Inceptors fairly frequently to clear screens using Upon Wings of Fire, but theyr'e just so bland feeling compared to the stuff the small marines get. Sternguard are probably not the most points efficient thing in the world but are at least interesting with their strategem, tac marines get heavy and special weapons and that flexibility can be pretty fun, scouts have their fun deployment and the ability to be pretty solid in assault. For Primaris they range from decent to good at shooting and are fairly tough for their cost and that's just sort of it.

I guess I"m a little disappointed by the lack of Primaris support after the initial launch. Like, it's obviously a good thing they're pushing out codexes for all the factions but it just feels weird to have such an obviously unfinished model range sitting there when it's clear it's the poster boy for the new edition.

Mixing and matching stuff with the Deathwatch rules seems to help. Maybe we just all overestimated GW and they never planned for Primaris to be by themselves. I guess it's possible that they want to get everything else done first, and a Primaris only force could be the first new codex, but the lack of support in the interim is a downer.

I think the real issue is that Primaris Marines are a victim of the Chapter House Studios lawsuit. GW will not release anything that they don't have a model for. That's why the only way a Primaris Captain can have a power fist is if he also has that dumb plasma pistol.

Corrode posted:

Or people need to accept that pure Primaris armies are dumb as hell and use some of the other 900 Space Marine units

Yeah man, gently caress people for doing something fun and thinking that GW would support something that the fluff actively encourages.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Pendent posted:

I would be annoyed when looking at the table and you're explain that "These black Primaris are Raven Guard but these other black Primaris who look very similar except from certain angles are Deathwatch." To me if you're doing mixed forces of marines they should at least be pretty visually distinct.

They're Raptors so blacks and greens?

:shrug:

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

xtothez posted:

If you're not bothered about the warden frame I'm in. Was on the fence about it since I don't really want two vanilla knights, but one for half price plus some decent terrain would be great.

Yeah I don't need the Warden stuff. The missile launcher thing I might have messed around with but I'm not married to it. Will PM you when orders go up.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

xtothez posted:

That's loving idiotic. Everything else about this edition has been pushing towards more CP, and unless there's something missing the only way to get extra CP in a Knight codex is to either field the Voluntary Mandatory Guard Battalion or play at 1500 points?

EDIT: Looks like the character rule applies regardless of what composes the Super-Heavy Detachment, and Armigers can be Characters. So you can haven Armiger Warlord, but they can't generate CP?

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 1, 2018

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Mixing and matching stuff with the Deathwatch rules seems to help. Maybe we just all overestimated GW and they never planned for Primaris to be by themselves. I guess it's possible that they want to get everything else done first, and a Primaris only force could be the first new codex, but the lack of support in the interim is a downer.

I think the real issue is that Primaris Marines are a victim of the Chapter House Studios lawsuit. GW will not release anything that they don't have a model for. That's why the only way a Primaris Captain can have a power fist is if he also has that dumb plasma pistol.

Yeah man, gently caress people for doing something fun and thinking that GW would support something that the fluff actively encourages.

I'm hoping GW backs off from the no model no rules thing a bit, really. I had more fun kitbashing my new Captain last weekend than I've had in a long time and it reminded me how the biggest thing I used to like about playing marines was how much flexibility when it comes to modeling. You'd buy a box of stuff and be using the extra bits for all sorts of stuff down the road but that's just not something that happens anymore.

Schadenboner posted:

They're Raptors so blacks and greens?

:shrug:

Yeah, I'd be fine with that. It would just be the tons of black across the table that would be obnoxious. To me at least.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Oi, what was that site that had the victory point, turn, and command point counters? Lots of different styles, as I recall.

Miles O'Brian posted:

You, uh, you want an already-painted and already-looted Knight?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pendent posted:

I'm hoping GW backs off from the no model no rules thing a bit, really. I had more fun kitbashing my new Captain last weekend than I've had in a long time and it reminded me how the biggest thing I used to like about playing marines was how much flexibility when it comes to modeling. You'd buy a box of stuff and be using the extra bits for all sorts of stuff down the road but that's just not something that happens anymore.

I'm pretty sure that's something being imposed by their lawyers to ensure their IP is maintained, so I doubt they will ever go back. I really wish they would so we could have things like Inceptor Captains and other fun stuff.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That's loving idiotic. Everything else about this edition has been pushing towards more CP, and unless there's something missing the only way to get extra CP in a Knight codex is to either field the Voluntary Mandatory Guard Battalion or play at 1500 points?
What's even dumber is that it prevents you getting CP for FW knights as they don't have any of those keywords.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

dexefiend posted:

Honestly, they just need to get a purpose built tank or two, and some points balancing.

That would help. The problem with their vehicles is that they're overpriced and covered in extraneous weapons. In a game where the ability to focus fire down a critical target is mandatory this makes them inviting targets for nearly every competitive build. Having some kind of cheap troop transport with limited weaponry would be nice. Unfortunately GW's product cycle is at least two years long so unless they've been planning something from when 8th edition was released I doubt we'll see it anytime soon. If ever.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

xtothez posted:

What's even dumber is that it prevents you getting CP for FW knights as they don't have any of those keywords.

FW doing what they do best.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

FW doing what they do best.
Wouldn't that be on GW? The FW indices came out a while ago, it's not like they wrote the codex or that rule.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
I was already hoping for a long-shot FAQ where they let FW Knights take the Questor Mechanicus keyword so I could grab a Lancer. Now that plan is double dead.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Is the keyword "QUESTORIS CLASS" literally? (Can't really make out the text in that image very well) Because it's hilarious if the QUESTORIS KNIGHT MAGAERA isn't a QUESTORIS CLASS knight

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

EDIT: Looks like the character rule applies regardless of what composes the Super-Heavy Detachment, and Armigers can be Characters. So you can haven Armiger Warlord, but they can't generate CP?

Well maybe it's complaints will get enough traction and it will be changed in the inevitable FAQ? I'm still into it, I want a crazy religious Knight and his little Squire buddies as allies for my Sisters. Cause I always need even more meltas!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Pendent posted:

Yeah, I'd be fine with that. It would just be the tons of black across the table that would be obnoxious. To me at least.

Also, Raven Guard wear black to blend in, Deathwatch wear black to look :pcgaming:?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Safety Factor posted:

Wouldn't that be on GW? The FW indices came out a while ago, it's not like they wrote the codex or that rule.

True. Knowing GW they might not have even sent the book to FW.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Giant Isopod posted:

Is the keyword "QUESTORIS CLASS" literally? (Can't really make out the text in that image very well) Because it's hilarious if the QUESTORIS KNIGHT MAGAERA isn't a QUESTORIS CLASS knight

Technically yes, it's literal. In a casual game someone would need to be a massive dick to try and enforce, but I wouldn't bet on getting away with the ruling in a competitive environment.

I just did the math and if you include FW, over half of all existing Knight units can't generate CP for a Knight army.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Schadenboner posted:

Also, Raven Guard wear black to blend in, Deathwatch wear black to look :pcgaming:?

Black is the color of Death, duh

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

adamantium|wang posted:

It might just be salt talking but I think Venoms either need a points hike or to lose their 5++. You get a tremendous little transport full of tools that ties up heavy poo poo in H2H for a turn and leaves at it's pleasure. It's remarkably survivable.

E: I still need to write up that tourney I went to. I'll do that tonight

But that's the design; functionally, stylistically, and (point) financially. Kabals are balanced around their transports being good. Kabalites without good open topped transports are just inferior Eldar Guardians.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Cainer posted:

Well maybe it's complaints will get enough traction and it will be changed in the inevitable FAQ? I'm still into it, I want a crazy religious Knight and his little Squire buddies as allies for my Sisters. Cause I always need even more meltas!

Oh I will definitely be fielding them regardless.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Corrode posted:

This.

But seriously give me primaris terminators.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Big stompy robots found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eXQAQwD7xY

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Artum posted:

This.

But seriously give me primaris terminators.

Altering the terminator STC to accommodate marines that are one head taller is the ultimate in heresy.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

chutche2 posted:

Altering the terminator STC to accommodate marines that are one head taller is the ultimate in heresy.

Good thing cawls entire deal is being a massive heretek.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Artum posted:

Good thing cawls entire deal is being a massive heretek.

Not even Cawl can force his way through the ironclad edict of making up dumbshit names for every new release; the word "terminator" is a dead end

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

chutche2 posted:

Just shove them in the Centurion armour that nobody uses.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Giant Isopod posted:

Not even Cawl can force his way through the ironclad edict of making up dumbshit names for every new release; the word "terminator" is a dead end

Terminator II: Judgement Deus

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
There's apparently a relic conflagration cannons that lets you reroll wounds. 3D6 S7 AP-2 D2 autohits rerolling wounds is going to murder the poo poo out of basically anything that isn't T8 and even then I wouldn't want to get too close.

The Valiant apparently costs under 600 points. I feel like we might be seeing a lot of these things in the tournament scene.

Pendent fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 2, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pendent posted:

There's apparently a relic conflagration cannons that lets you reroll wounds. S7 AP-2 D2 autohits rerolling wounds is going to murder the poo poo out of basically anything that isn't T8 and even then I wouldn't want to get too close.

gently caress Your Flyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

gently caress Your Flyers.

It's still like 5-6 damage against a Land Raider which means there's a very reasonable chance between the harpoon and the flamer this thing can kills a Land Raider in a single volley without even firing it's carapace weapons.

gently caress your everything.