Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

The Deleter posted:

Nothing about consolidating the Beastmen into a new force, which is what they desperately need. I guess the points cost drops are nice?

Yeah I don't understand at all - nobody told them about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

muggins posted:

Yeah I don't understand at all - nobody told them about this?

They work on a two-three year turnaround. For all we know, they are playtesting and making a new Beastman army, but to us on the outside, it looks like they don't know what the hell is going on.

Of course, the other option is that they don't know what the hell is going on.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

They give way less of a poo poo about old beastmen stuff and more about whatever new beastmen stuff they might sell to us 4 years from now.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I understand they just want the beastmen to go away, but how much manpower would it take to slap three PDFs together? Assign an intern

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

My dream of a pure Dragon Ogre army draws even closer.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I can't wait until the Firebellies battletome comes out and and buffs my Firebelly list.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I was really hoping my FLGS's escalation league start date would get pushed back a month with the new core rules coming out. Instead I just finished assembling and priming 50 minis for a game tomorrow and now I hate life.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/06/01/1st-june-rules-preview-battling-in-the-realmsgw-homepage-post-2/

The realms sound like they'll have a big effect. Random table wide effects, command abilities and a multi-spell list available to all wizards.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Beastclaw Raider faction focus too, https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/06/01/1st-may-faction-focus-beastclaw-raidersgw-homepage-post-3/

Specifically calls out taking a firebelly in a Beastclaw army, maybe they’ve redesigned allegiances and how you build armies and that’s why they’re not talking squashing all the legacy subfactions?

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Beastclaw can already take Firebellies as allies, I doubt they’re changing those rules much.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Look at these straws. Let me grasp at them.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I don't think you should hope too hard for the faction allegiances to get changed. GW probably doesn't see it as a problem like we do, or even if they do they'd rather just sell you old models until new stuff comes out.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

We tend to want every option in a game to be equally competitive or viable in a tournament setting but AoS is clearly not that.

I’ve been coming around to being fine with that, but I can see how it can be rough if you want to be competitive with your older models that you’ve had for a while.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Danimo posted:

We tend to want every option in a game to be equally competitive or viable in a tournament setting but AoS is clearly not that.

I’ve been coming around to being fine with that, but I can see how it can be rough if you want to be competitive with your older models that you’ve had for a while.

I think such balance helps casuals as well, for people picking their first army its gonna feel pretty bad if you have something that is substantially weaker than the other people in your play group. Im not sure if anything is in as bad of a place as 40k 7th edition Orks but thats a pretty good example of how bad army balance can effect more than just competitive players.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Three special characters for Nighthaunt.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, the faction balance in AoS, although it definitely exists, is far better than in something like 40k.

Like, at least every faction in AoS (except the absolutely tiny ones like Firebellies) can do okay in casual play.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

SteelMentor posted:

drat GW is really tempting me to pick up these fuckers. This guy looks great!

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

TKIY posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/06/01/1st-june-rules-preview-battling-in-the-realmsgw-homepage-post-2/

The realms sound like they'll have a big effect. Random table wide effects, command abilities and a multi-spell list available to all wizards.

Yeah, though they note midway through that you don't have to pick a realm if you don't want to....which makes me skeptical that a lot of clubs will do it unless they add a rule mandating it for matched play. The 1e ones mostly seemed to get ignored, after all.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

SteelMentor posted:

Doot doot ghost.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

SteelMentor posted:

I would be extremely worried about transporting that fucker but oh my god that doot ghost is my hero.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I love how everything is all floaty. Dunno if I want to carry them around though.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
A lot off the kits from the end of WHFB and now Sigmar are stupidly fragile and are just begging to get broken. I don't understand the trend.

I assembled a unit of Sisters of the Thorn unit that has a leaping cavalry model attached to the base by a single ankle. poo poo's gorgeous and kinetic, but I'm afraid to touch it let alone transport it.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Bombogenesis posted:

I would be extremely worried about transporting that fucker but oh my god that doot ghost is my hero.
Never mind that one - the one to the right (Mortarch of Grief?) is going to be a loving nightmare. It's a bunch of wispy rear end poo poo supported by a single wispy rear end wisp.

Tadhg posted:

A lot off the kits from the end of WHFB and now Sigmar are stupidly fragile and are just begging to get broken. I don't understand the trend.
If you break it, you gotta buy another one. $ALE$!!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The plastic isn't too bad for models like this - it's usually not connections that break because the plastic has some spring to it. it's usually where it's very thin and doesn't have a lot of that spring that causes problems, like short antennae or the tips of Prosecutor wings. I wouldn't be too worried about the connection to the base and more worried that doot ghost doesn't lose his trumpet.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Tadhg posted:

I assembled a unit of Sisters of the Thorn unit that has a leaping cavalry model attached to the base by a single ankle. poo poo's gorgeous and kinetic, but I'm afraid to touch it let alone transport it.

My only "new" models are Stormfiends and a Doomwheel.

I've already had hoses on all the Stormfiends break and the flag off the Doomwheel. drat fiddly bits.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

The Deleter posted:

The plastic isn't too bad for models like this - it's usually not connections that break because the plastic has some spring to it. it's usually where it's very thin and doesn't have a lot of that spring that causes problems, like short antennae or the tips of Prosecutor wings. I wouldn't be too worried about the connection to the base and more worried that doot ghost doesn't lose his trumpet.

Por que no los dos?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Tadhg posted:

I had to laugh when the painting video for the Khinerai specifically called out having to support the model while painting it so it didn’t snap off its base.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Dang I finally got to use my sky dorfs in a game and had a good time. Of course I spent the past week looking at new stuff and now I want spooky ghosts the army.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

The new nighthaunt look so cool, but I also don't like painting cloaks. But if they are in the new starter set I'll buy the hell out of that.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

drat, last things I painted and played with were just a handful of xenos space marines and a third of them broke in transit, hardly any of these models seem like they could be transported. Though some of them look cool. Those new fish elf mage lords especially look like they'd break before I finished putting them together.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I've really been enjoying painting stormcast recently. There's very little edge highlighting required to get nice contrast on the armor. I just finished this shadespire warband and I think I'm going to finally get to the rest of the starter set that I've had for like 2 years now.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

The Deleter posted:

Indeed. Big secret on Nighthaunt; the Spirit Hosts are actually pretty sturdy models and easy to transport, seriously I can drop a box of them on the floor and only have to worry about scratching the paint.

The Hexwraiths with they’re dangly little fire braziers? They will snap under the tiniest amount of unexpected pressure.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Dwarf fraction focus

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/06/02/june-2nd-faction-focus-dispossessedgw-homepage-post-3/

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Dwarf fraction focus

Dwarf Denominators are the worst.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Booyah- posted:

I've really been enjoying painting stormcast recently. There's very little edge highlighting required to get nice contrast on the armor. I just finished this shadespire warband and I think I'm going to finally get to the rest of the starter set that I've had for like 2 years now.

Very nice! Everyone hates on stormcast but they are fun to paint!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Moose-Alini posted:

Very nice! Everyone hates on stormcast but they are fun to paint!

I think the biggest problem is that look so much better in any color scheme other then the Default.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think the biggest problem is that look so much better in any color scheme other then the Default.

I like it when people paint the armour a colour rather than all metal as well. I saw some raven guard colours sigmarines at my lgs a few weeks ago and they looked cool with the black armour and white embellishments with only trim/bits in metal.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JBP posted:

I like it when people paint the armour a colour rather than all metal as well. I saw some raven guard colours sigmarines at my lgs a few weeks ago and they looked cool with the black armour and white embellishments with only trim/bits in metal.

Even all Metal works. All Gold is just strangely enough one of the worst color schemes for them in my opinion.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm doing my SCE in silver, with dark red and gold details. It looks very Roman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Even all Metal works. All Gold is just strangely enough one of the worst color schemes for them in my opinion.

All gold could work, the problem is that the GW golds are very bright and yellowy which doesn't work so well all over. If they had more contrast it'd work better.

I painted by Stormcasts with gunmetal armour shaded with purple, and black shoulders and shields. Gold was used on the face masks as a contrast. Seemed to work out alright.

(square bases because I use them in KOW as large infantry)

• Locked thread