Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
So ready for FFT: Legends of the Hidden Crystal and Re:FF8.

For real though that list's fake as gently caress, you should see some of what they came out with from other companies. It's literally just a checklist of games people have been asking for since, like, 2005. And FF8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Evil Fluffy posted:

FFT is good and all but Matsuno needs to make some more Ogre Battle games. That nice engine used for the Tactics Ogre remake should be put to good use in making more games. :colbert:

ogre battle's system is absolutely nothing like tactics ogre though, you can't recycle poo poo

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

SpaceDrake posted:

Probably fake, although frankly I've been expecting a new FFT for some time. Thanks to FFXIV, Matsuno and SE are back in each other's good graces and people have been asking for a real FFT game for fuckin' years, so it's a very logical play and it would generate a lot of marketing and hype just by existing.

We also know Taro has had some kind of Nier-adjacent thing greenlit ever since Automata made The Big Dollars. Whether it's ready to be shown is a whole other question mark (I suspect not).

A remake project with 8 though...............

Most of the Tactics staff is still working on FFXIV. The rest are freelancers. I suppose outsourcing is an option.

The best bet is a F2P Tactics Ogre mobile game. A lot of C-list JRPGs that can't make it on consoles in today's market have found a second life as gacha games, such as Star Ocean Anamnesis. It makes sense since the fans have grown into adults, have jobs, and are willing to spend money on a series they loved.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I mean, I could play FFT, TO:LUCT, Disgaea, and Jeanne D'Arc the rest of my life, but it would be really nice to have some more of that to look forward to on modern consoles.

:negative:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The White Dragon posted:

ogre battle's system is absolutely nothing like tactics ogre though, you can't recycle poo poo

You can make new games in the OB series using the engine. Or spend some time making an engine like MotBQ and OB64 used. I wouldn't complain about getting more Ogre Battles games in both systems. :shrug:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Super Robot Wars is in english now. The Fullmetal Panic game looks like it's from SRW Neo team (also in english). Valkyria Chronicles 4 is coming this fall.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
How did they get the licensing to release SRW in English

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
They didn't. They just released it in Southeast Asia and said 'you know what to do'

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pureauthor posted:

They didn't. They just released it in Southeast Asia and said 'you know what to do'

God bless the internet. :japan:

How is Super Robot Wars X, for those who've played it? I'm leaning toward buying it on PS4.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
If they made a new Ogre Battle what Queen song would they use?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Elephant Ambush posted:

I mean, I could play FFT, TO:LUCT, Disgaea, and Jeanne D'Arc the rest of my life, but it would be really nice to have some more of that to look forward to on modern consoles.

Children of Zodiarcs is decent. Not FFT quality, but it's scratched the itch on the meantime.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
ogre battle iii: good old fashioned lover boy

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

bentacos posted:

Ones that would work decently:
I Want To Break Free
Who Wants To Live Forever
The Prophet's Song

Ones that would kinda work:
Killer Queen
Princes Of The Universe
Hammer To Fall
One Vision

Comedy Option:
Play The Game

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Comedy Option:
Play The Game

white man

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

bentacos posted:

Fat Bottomed Girls

It'll be a crossover with Nier Automata. Same artist too.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FF4 Free Enterprise is a cool and good randomizer. You start with nothing but two random characters and the Enterprise, and you go from there. Only complaint is things get easy near the end and encounters become pointless, but apparently you can turn encounters off in-game if you select the proper flag, which I would definitely do next time. I’d also probably set the flag to make crap items into cash, as you get bogged down in random items very easily, especially if you haven’t decided your final party yet and you can’t find carrots to buy anywhere. Finally, I liked the flag where FuSoYa slowly gained more spells from beating bosses.

Good stuff and a fun way to kill an afternoon. I finished a mostly-completionist run in six hours in-game, four with fast forward. Of course, you can skip a lot of bosses and stuff, or just unbalance everything to make it faster.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I'm probably just purposely misunderstanding the post, but I'm imagining a party consisting of Rydia, Yang, and the Starship Enterprise, and the two of them just starin in awe as the Enterprise just lasers things into oblivion.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Evil Fluffy posted:

God bless the internet. :japan:

How is Super Robot Wars X, for those who've played it? I'm leaning toward buying it on PS4.

It's mostly standard SRW so it's overall really easy and now you get to read a lot of the interactions between people. There's a new 'Expert' mode that jacks up the upgrades on all the enemy units with the tradeoff of not needing to earn SR points, if that's your thing.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Gologle posted:

I'm probably just purposely misunderstanding the post, but I'm imagining a party consisting of Rydia, Yang, and the Starship Enterprise, and the two of them just starin in awe as the Enterprise just lasers things into oblivion.

It’s this but the lasers are coming from a summoned Bahamut.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I love Free Enterprise, but it does get a bit too easy. I definitely recommend Bravely Default-ing the random encounters and going at the pace that feels comfortable for you, and also turning off the doubled EXP once you get 10 key items.

(Another advantage to turning off random encounters is that you don't have to even begin to interface with the Magnetic Cave's gimmick.)

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Mega64 posted:

FF4 Free Enterprise is a cool and good randomizer. You start with nothing but two random characters and the Enterprise, and you go from there. Only complaint is things get easy near the end and encounters become pointless, but apparently you can turn encounters off in-game if you select the proper flag, which I would definitely do next time. I’d also probably set the flag to make crap items into cash, as you get bogged down in random items very easily, especially if you haven’t decided your final party yet and you can’t find carrots to buy anywhere. Finally, I liked the flag where FuSoYa slowly gained more spells from beating bosses.

Good stuff and a fun way to kill an afternoon. I finished a mostly-completionist run in six hours in-game, four with fast forward. Of course, you can skip a lot of bosses and stuff, or just unbalance everything to make it faster.

Free Enterprise is the most fun I've been able to wring out of life in a while, and I don't even mean that to sound depressing - it's a drat lot of fun, and if you set it for K3-P1-N1 (key items shuffled among the major summons and trapped chests in addition to milestones, and all the "freebie" character recruitments removed) it feels a lot more compelling and a bit more like a puzzle to solve at the start. J2-K3-P1-C1-T3-S3-B1-F1-N1-E3-X2-Y2-W-Z is my preferred setting so far, and my best time to date is 3:23 and I'm trying to get it lower.

I've been watching the LTTP randomizer tournament for a while now, and finding a good rando for a game that I know like the back of my hand and love to bits feels really good. It's to the point that I'm actually half tempted to start streaming it, god help me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Elephant Ambush posted:

Last year there was Dynasty Warriors Godseekers, God Wars and two Utawarerumono games.
Unfortunately the first two are meh and the last only if you're fine with a VN where you get to play an SRPG every three hours.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Not sure why people are taking that list seriously when it has a One Punch Man game by Platinum on it.

I mean, c’mon, guys.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Darth Walrus posted:

Not sure why people are taking that list seriously when it has a One Punch Man game by Platinum on it.

I mean, c’mon, guys.

Yeah, this timeline is too hosed for anything that cool to happen

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sade posted:

Yeah, this timeline is too hosed for anything that cool to happen

I mean, even if it did, it could only ever be an elaborate joke. Unless someone like Genos is the PC, I guess.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Evil Fluffy posted:

FFT is good and all but Matsuno needs to make some more Ogre Battle games. That nice engine used for the Tactics Ogre remake should be put to good use in making more games. :colbert:

:yeah:

Another game like TO:LUCT, and then a remake or new game like MotBQ would extremely be my jam.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Edit: wrong thread

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, even if it did, it could only ever be an elaborate joke. Unless someone like Genos is the PC, I guess.

If it existed Genos or some of the other heroes would have to be the main character and the finishing blow on the boss is always after a elaborate quick time where you do alot of damage, get your poo poo wrecked, and then OPM shows up and flicks the enemy while picking you back up.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

bentacos posted:

Under Pressure, but only if Yoshitaka Amano does the art.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ogre Battle: A Kind of Magic works pretty well.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
The Show Must Go On, of course.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Pain Is So Close To Pleasure and Good Company are both remarkably obvious and natural fits.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Fat Bottomed Girls obviously /s

Looking at their discography, some usable ones could include:

Another one bites the dust
Princes of the universe
Dear Friends
I Want to Break Free
Who Wants to Live Forever

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Has anyone said Hammer to Fall yet because that song rules and that’s a kickass name for a game.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

The Fairy Feller’s Master Stroke

I mean, I know it’s a painting too but drat son. And also, the song slays.

Seriously though, Who Wants To Live Forever is the correct choice.

Tall Tale Teller fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 3, 2018

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
You're gonna have to explain to me why we're talking about Queen songs in the Final Fantasy thread.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Gologle posted:

You're gonna have to explain to me why we're talking about Queen songs in the Final Fantasy thread.

Because the Ogre battle spinoff tactics ogre is associated with final fantasy tactics, and the games in the series tend to be named after Queen songs. Its not too off topic, and I highly doubt there is an active ogre battle thread outside the LOCT LP/

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Tall Tale Teller posted:

The Fairy Feller’s Master Stroke

I mean, I know it’s a painting too but drat son. And also, the song slays.

Hell yeah it does.

Also, Gololgle: there’s never a bad time to discuss Queen’s music. Great stuff.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Gologle posted:

Uncultured swine.

Shameful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Gologle posted:

It's because they all love Queen Brahne in FF9