Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Anything you buy, double check that it can be used offline. Plex is a complete arse about not having an internet connection, so lots of clients kick up a fuss if you try to just do a direct connect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Anything you buy, double check that it can be used offline. Plex is a complete arse about not having an internet connection, so lots of clients kick up a fuss if you try to just do a direct connect.

I was going to say this. Even if the streaming is all local, Plex really wants to go online.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

wandler20 posted:

So I want to build a cheap (it won't be used much, so I'd rather not spend much on it) Plex server for my lake cabin. I have no internet there so I want a basic box to be able to stream Plex to a couple TVs.

Would setting up a Raspberry pi be the way to go for this?

I was thinking use the Pi, hook up an external HD, use an old wireless router and stream to a couple old FireTV sticks I have laying around.

Might I suggest a couple of USB sticks if your TV supports playing media straight off of them? If you get the encoding right (which you only have to do once) it should work really well.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

H110Hawk posted:

Might I suggest a couple of USB sticks if your TV supports playing media straight off of them? If you get the encoding right (which you only have to do once) it should work really well.

They're pretty old TV's so I'm doubting they will.

Maybe I'll have to look for something other than Plex.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I think Kodi on the Pi would be the best option.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

phosdex posted:

I think Kodi on the Pi would be the best option.

This. Put kodi on the rpi(s) and have them point at a networked drive. Or just have a dedicated HDD on each RPi and dont bother with network stuff

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

wandler20 posted:

So I want to build a cheap (it won't be used much, so I'd rather not spend much on it) Plex server for my lake cabin. I have no internet there so I want a basic box to be able to stream Plex to a couple TVs.

Would setting up a Raspberry pi be the way to go for this?

I was thinking use the Pi, hook up an external HD, use an old wireless router and stream to a couple old FireTV sticks I have laying around.

If you have a laptop that you brought with you to the cabin I think that'd do the trick and wouldn't require an extra PC beyond one you already own. You could deal with the fuss about having an Internet connection by using a smartphone as a temporary hotspot.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I've been dealing with a really irritating issue where the PS4 client takes forever to connect and then it's an indirect connection, if I reconnect in the client it'll sometimes switch to direct. Eventually figure out it's due to requiring secure connections and somehow it bypassed on reconnects.

I did some DNS voodoo and configured plex to advertise a different url that would resolve internally and also got it a cert via letsencrypt.
Since doing this the PS4 client connects much faster as plex knows to try the advertised url which resolves to an internal IP address (if it gets a public IP you're still getting indirect with a lovely connection)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So how long until Lowtax gets arrested for running a Plex server and sharing it with goons.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I had a random library invite the other day. No idea who it was but I accepted it and it's full of anime. So, um, thanks for the anime random dude?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Canuckistan posted:

I had a random library invite the other day. No idea who it was but I accepted it and it's full of anime. So, um, thanks for the anime random dude?

What'd they do, send you an e-mail invite or a PM here on SA?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Has anyone else run across an issue where one library won't display if it's sorted by Title? My Movies library (and only that one, TV Shows/Documentaries/Shorts/Music libraries are all fine) shows "An unexpected error has occurred" if I sort by Title but if I change the sorting to anything else like Release Date it displays fine. It's happening in multiple clients (web, xbone, ps4). I found a thread on the plex forums where a couple other people report the issue but no one seems to have a fix.

Is there a way to...I dunno, force a db integrity check and repair or failing that, to blow away and rebuild a single library?

Running newest stable PMS on newest MacOS (though people reporting same problem were on Windows and BSD PMS so it seems to affect all platforms).

Lawen fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 25, 2018

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Atomizer posted:

What'd they do, send you an e-mail invite or a PM here on SA?

A friend request in Plex itself.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Canuckistan posted:

There's a thread in GBS where people are trading Plex invites so maybe related?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Nope. Never posted anywhere looking to trade access. My guess is that it was a typo when someone did a friend invite.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
In case people don’t venture into GBS, Lowtax has opened invites to his Plex server for anyone interested in (entertainingly?) poorly-made movies.

EDIT: Actually, it looks like a top-like announcement. I only ever read this forum in the mobile app anymore, so it’s hard to tell sometimes.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Lawen posted:

Has anyone else run across an issue where one library won't display if it's sorted by Title? My Movies library (and only that one, TV Shows/Documentaries/Shorts/Music libraries are all fine) shows "An unexpected error has occurred" if I sort by Title but if I change the sorting to anything else like Release Date it displays fine. It's happening in multiple clients (web, xbone, ps4). I found a thread on the plex forums where a couple other people report the issue but no one seems to have a fix.

Is there a way to...I dunno, force a db integrity check and repair or failing that, to blow away and rebuild a single library?

Running newest stable PMS on newest MacOS (though people reporting same problem were on Windows and BSD PMS so it seems to affect all platforms).

I was able to fix this but I'm still not really sure how. First I deleted the affected library and created a new one pointed at the same folder on disk, but the new library was having the same problem.

Then I shut down PMS and followed the instructions for Fix a corrupt database. I didn't get any output from the integrity check but when I tried to reload the sql dump it threw the same error that's been showing up in my logs, "no such collation sequence: naturalsort". Despite the error, once I started PMS back up the library was there, displayed correctly, and somehow still retained watched/unwatched statuses.

So if you see this error (and a lot of people have been reporting it the last 2-3 weeks on their support forum) try running through that "Repair a corrupt DB" article and power through any errors. Some people on the plex forums said they tried this and it didn't fix the problem though, so good luck.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
So I just built a new PC for gaming with an i5 8600k CPU/16gb RAM. This replaces my 2500k/8GB I currently use for gaming and media (incl. plex). I was planning on keeping my 2500k and it's 6 hdds as my media server but what I was wondering is whether it would make sense to move the plex server to the new PC to benefit from improved transcoding and streaming that I'd get with the 8600k and more RAM? How well would this work, if at all, with plex accessing the media on a network directory from my old PC?

Edit: This definitely seems possible. I guess the question is will the benefit of running plex on a faster machine negate the fact it's pulling the media off the network. It's gigabit lan so I think the answer is yes.

Can I migrate the plex server easily without having to re-set up the server/reauthorize all my devices?

Rhaegar fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 1, 2018

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Rhaegar posted:

So I just built a new PC for gaming with an i5 8600k CPU/16gb RAM. This replaces my 2500k/8GB I currently use for gaming and media (incl. plex). I was planning on keeping my 2500k and it's 6 hdds as my media server but what I was wondering is whether it would make sense to move the plex server to the new PC to benefit from improved transcoding and streaming that I'd get with the 8600k and more RAM? How well would this work, if at all, with plex accessing the media on a network directory from my old PC?

Edit: This definitely seems possible. I guess the question is will the benefit of running plex on a faster machine negate the fact it's pulling the media off the network. It's gigabit lan so I think the answer is yes.

Can I migrate the plex server easily without having to re-set up the server/reauthorize all my devices?

The 2500K can take advantage of Plex's hardware-accelerated transcoding https://support.plex.tv/articles/115002178853-using-hardware-accelerated-streaming/

How often is your server transcoding video though? How many client devices watch content from your server that require video transcodes to be sent?

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Just one or two. Just to transfer video to my iPhone or occasionally an iPad --- which can take some time for a full season of content or a couple of movies.

Otherwise I'm just watching media on the plex app on my LG OLED.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

With only 2 devices to send transcodes to, it makes more sense to me to relegate your old PC to server only duty instead of migrating your Plex install over to the new PC. That's what I'd do. You could test how fast your new PC transcodes full seasons compared to your 2500K though, and see if there's a huge gap in transcoding performance, or if pulling media off the network is any sort of bottleneck to the transcoding process.

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 1, 2018

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
If it was working fine before I would leave plex where it is. The extra ram won't have any impact.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Why the gently caress is my Plex Server (Shield 500GB) constantly losing its connection? It will work fine, then hours later it's offline, forcing me to reboot the server? When it works it's great, but it doesn't loving work the way it should! Don't have the Oreo update, sleep is turned off in the Shield settings. Tonight, I could access files locally, but not outside the network. A reboot of the Shield fixed it. WHY?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Rhaegar posted:

Your setup sounds almost exactly like what I ended up with when I upgraded my pc last year, down to the old machine with 6 HDDs. I formatted the old machine and reinstalled plex and it now lives in the garage sitting on top of the network panel box just plugged into the network and managed remotely and works really well (except it blew its old power supply at one point but is fine now).

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

wolfbiker posted:

Why the gently caress is my Plex Server (Shield 500GB) constantly losing its connection? It will work fine, then hours later it's offline, forcing me to reboot the server? When it works it's great, but it doesn't loving work the way it should! Don't have the Oreo update, sleep is turned off in the Shield settings. Tonight, I could access files locally, but not outside the network. A reboot of the Shield fixed it. WHY?

Check to make sure CEC is not putting your Shield to sleep.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

So instead of fixing known long standing bugs I guess Plex decided they needed to completely redo the UI in their app for some stupid reason

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010
The new UI is nice so I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt at the moment. Apparently sync has been much improved with this update too and now works a bit more consistently.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

Check to make sure CEC is not putting your Shield to sleep.

CEC is disabled

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

So instead of fixing known long standing bugs I guess Plex decided they needed to completely redo the UI in their app for some stupid reason

Real shame they have a single developer that does all coding and UI design and can only work on one thing at a time.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

FCKGW posted:

Real shame they have a single developer that does all coding and UI design and can only work on one thing at a time.

Working on things no one asked for and ignoring things that were is the most Plex thing. But I guess it was important to roll out a new UI less than a year ago that no one asked for and then do it again

That grid view for the program guide was something that originally was supposed to be out end of the year, then later sometime by May. But I'm glad I have a unified view for all content when I'm connected to multiple servers I guess, whoopie

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 2, 2018

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

Working on things no one asked for and ignoring things that were is the most Plex thing.

I had the exact same thought when they announced podcasts, but then I realized that the Google Play Music podcast experience is so frustrating that I would probably use Plex as long as it's a shade better.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

porksmash posted:

I had the exact same thought when they announced podcasts, but then I realized that the Google Play Music podcast experience is so frustrating that I would probably use Plex as long as it's a shade better.

Seriously Google do any of you actually use this? I imagine the Podcast section would default to "my podcasts" if so and not the "here's what you should subscribe to" tab every drat time.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Thanks for making me have to relog into my account on all my family's Android devices in order to get my libraries to actually show up Plex. Also love how all my show libraries are lumped into one general show category and I have to use the drop down just to get to the library I want

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Anyone use the podcast feature yet? I'm planning to play with it this weekend to see if it's a better experience than I am getting with Downcast. I like the idea of having all of my podcasts centrally located, although I still 99.9% of the time are listening to podcasts on my phone and that alone. May be reaching for a use case, but hoping to find one that I haven't discovered yet.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

This new app is loving pants.

There is so much other poo poo you could be working on, Plex. Did Google buy them when we weren't looking?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

TraderStav posted:

Anyone use the podcast feature yet? I'm planning to play with it this weekend to see if it's a better experience than I am getting with Downcast. I like the idea of having all of my podcasts centrally located, although I still 99.9% of the time are listening to podcasts on my phone and that alone. May be reaching for a use case, but hoping to find one that I haven't discovered yet.

There's not a lot of decent ways to listen to podcasts on a computer anymore, particularly if you want to save position etc with a phone as well. If you're the kind of person who does that (and I know at least one), there you go.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

This new app is loving pants.

There is so much other poo poo you could be working on, Plex. Did Google buy them when we weren't looking?

Part of me understands that they are struggling to find ways to monetize something that a large percentage are using to watch their pirated stuff. But then why aren't they working on making the Live TV stuff not suck

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Ugh, one of the reason I absolutely hate iOS is because most apps navigation menus are along the bottom. Now the Android app looks like every other terrible UI from iOS apps.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

Part of me understands that they are struggling to find ways to monetize something that a large percentage are using to watch their pirated stuff. But then why aren't they working on making the Live TV stuff not suck

Maybe Plex should try work out a deal with TV providers like YouTube TV, DirecTV Now, and SlingTV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

teagone posted:

Maybe Plex should try work out a deal with TV providers like YouTube TV, DirecTV Now, and SlingTV?

I'd like to see them make a deal with Vudu or someone so the legit digital movies I own can play through Plex.