Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Iron Crowned posted:

I remember the episode where they fought posideon.

The highlight of the second season is how obvious how little Roy Scheider wants to be there is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think the first season of that show, where it had a stronger oceanographic bent, is still decent. Trying to turn it into Star Trek Under the Sea in season two was pretty bad. Do you remember the one where Mark Hamill plays a blind astronomer who is actually a space alien fugitive in disguise?
I don't, but I remember the one where a Deinosuchus was going around eating people. I was living on a boat at the time, so that kind of hosed me up towards going in the ocean for a while. :v:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Didn’t Sorbo go all right wing after a big ol’ stroke? He gets a little leeway from me since strokes really gently caress people up, and at least he didn’t go full Tila Tequila.

Just looked this up, I guess a chiropractor accidentally released some blood clots which led to an aneurysm which led to four strokes in 1997.

E: he’s had pretty consistent work all things considered. I guess he must be pretty easy to work with even if he’s a little out there.

christmas boots has a new favorite as of 00:11 on Jun 1, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He's like best buds with Sean Hannity. He's a oval office.

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.
Andromeda had a couple entertaining seasons, then he ruined it, and I'm still a little disappointed about that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Quinctia posted:

Andromeda had a couple entertaining seasons, then he ruined it, and I'm still a little disappointed about that.

The network ruined it even more on top of that. Late on they asked the producers to remove the arm spikes from the Nietzscheans so that the show wouldn't have to explain them every week.

It's a shame, really, that show had so much potential. There's an S1 episode where the crew run into an old Commonwealth base inhabited by descendants of the original troops who want to use the base's stored nukes as a threat to restore the Commonwealth. Hunt gives them the traditional big impassioned speech with all the cliches about how that's not the way it should be done, you can't rule by force, and he persuades them to surrender the nukes to him. Then he promptly uses the nukes to rearm the Andromeda Ascendant, "just in case". If they'd managed to stick that balance more often I honestly think it might be remembered as one of the greats.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Volcott posted:

The nolan bamhams are pretty much exactly what you want if you want the dark and brooding take on the character. Some of the comics have aged horrendously, but as far as the movies go, I think it's just the kilmer/clooney ones that are outright bad.

I recently rewatched Batman Forever and actually appreciated it a lot more than I did back when it came out--it had that whole campy 60s Batman vibe with the crazy camera angles and everything. Fun, but probably shouldn't have followed those other two movies.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
The Mr. Freeze episode of future batman is perfect and beautiful.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
You all need to watch some Batman: The Brave And The Bold

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Samuringa posted:

You all need to watch some Batman: The Brave And The Bold
That show was amazing, it somehow managed to be grimdark and camp at the same time.
Which I suppose Black Scorpion did too, now I think of it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jedit posted:

The network ruined it even more on top of that. Late on they asked the producers to remove the arm spikes from the Nietzscheans so that the show wouldn't have to explain them every week.

It's a shame, really, that show had so much potential. There's an S1 episode where the crew run into an old Commonwealth base inhabited by descendants of the original troops who want to use the base's stored nukes as a threat to restore the Commonwealth. Hunt gives them the traditional big impassioned speech with all the cliches about how that's not the way it should be done, you can't rule by force, and he persuades them to surrender the nukes to him. Then he promptly uses the nukes to rearm the Andromeda Ascendant, "just in case". If they'd managed to stick that balance more often I honestly think it might be remembered as one of the greats.

My "favorite" change from later in Andromeda was how after Sorbo became producer he gave an interview just hand waving away the premise of the series by saying how Hunt had set up the new Commonwealth and now he was going to be doing other stuff ("other stuff" involved turning out to be a god.)

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

fruit on the bottom posted:

This is why the Adam West Batman has weathered the years far better than any of his more serious successors

in general,yeah that show aged pretty well but not perfectly, sadly

on the one hand one of the premises was that batman was such a goody-two-shoes dork that he's constantly making sure everyone's using their safety belts in moving cars (iirc adam west also starred as batman in a british street safety psa that's only recently been unearthed), he's also obeying the posted speed limits in the batmobile and instructing others to do likewise, he goes out of his way to make sure he doesn't inadvertently litter while crime fighting and all the while telling robin stuff that we have a sacred duty to preserve and protect the cultural property of other people because their history is just as important as ours when museum items on loan get heisted or dropping bombs like remember robin, the goal of the justice system is rehabilitation not punishment while pointing out that fictional supercrooks who just don't reform, like catwoman, are hardly the rule in reality

i guess it also helps the producers of the show itself stayed ahead of the curve by casting minorities in completely normal roles like graduate students/head reporters/bank managers/etc then later recasting newmar with kitt even tho they were warned that the change didn't screen well with southern test audiences but in fairness that sort of casting wasn't exclusive to batman 66, there were recent changes in broadcasting standards that made stuff like that more common in american tv in 66

but on the other hand being that paragon of morality sometimes betrayed the sexist standards of 60s when, for e.g., batman sometimes acts real patronizing to women with the understanding that it's ultimately morally what's best for them; it's also fair to point out that the core format of the show included a moll to usually (but not always) clumsily fumble around with the guest villain in stereotypically feminine ways, like being too enamored with their appearance to competently do crime - at worst batman 66's satirical episodes like yegg foes in gotham would look pretty awful to modern audiences who'd be unaware of the western tv shows it was parodying so its depictions of native americans might seem ghastly

overall it's still aged alright imho, enough that i would treat batman 66 as a kind of barometer where if you can't handle the occasionally gauche depictions of certain people in a show also trying its darnedest to do right then maybe going back to really old tv shows isn't for you

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Mu Zeta posted:

Sean Hannity is exactly the kind of person I would be hanging out with after four strokes.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The best part of Seaquest's goofy-rear end second season was Roy Scheider went public saying the show sucked now. Even filmed interviews and such, it was hilarious, he admitted he was only doing it because it was good money and a nice vacation.

So of course he's gone by season 3 and they try to reboot it again.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

artsy fartsy posted:

I recently rewatched Batman Forever and actually appreciated it a lot more than I did back when it came out--it had that whole campy 60s Batman vibe with the crazy camera angles and everything. Fun, but probably shouldn't have followed those other two movies.

Batman & Robin is an incredibly fun film, bat-nipples and all. the suits have sculpted butts! there's cartoony angles! they fight strange neon people!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRH-Ywpz1_I

"cool party" is so loving dumb it gets me every time

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Per posted:

Thank you so much. It's weird how some things just lodge in your brain at a young age.

Sorry about your tragic batman inspired fetish

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Our local nerd con had him booked as a guest, some people complained saying they felt he should not be booked given some of the things he's said about the LGBTQ community. I guess there's a fair amount of crossover with nerds and LGBTQ where I live, which isn't surprising given how many people I know who are both. plus a lot of folks have no tolerance for such stuff Anyways, I guess he was told to not come after all, TMZ of all places picked it up and asked him for comment, and he claimed the event's organizers were impugning his freedom of speech. Evidently, Mr. Sorbo seems to think Freedom of Speech means Freedom from Consequences, and that's not how that works. TMZ picking it up is a bit weird because the con is northwest Ontario in a town of 100K, and I don't even think it made our local papers or TV news.

His replacement was Nana Visitor, who played Kira on DS9. I don't even care for Star Trek but that sounds like a trade up to me.

El Gallinero Gros has a new favorite as of 05:05 on Jun 1, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

JediTalentAgent posted:

It always sort of annoyed me that Xena got largely pushed to the side and forgotten once Buffy came out. I'm not saying Xena/Herc aged super well, it's been a LONG time since I've seen either one to really be able to say they're still good/bad. I will always feel they had a bit of a fun charm to them.
Xena's only good for one season, then they added Joxer (Ted Raimi) to the show and he ruins everything.

Volcott posted:

The nolan bamhams are pretty much exactly what you want if you want the dark and brooding take on the character. Some of the comics have aged horrendously, but as far as the movies go, I think it's just the kilmer/clooney ones that are outright bad.
Batman & Robin is great. Probably my favourite Batman film (although I haven't seen the Adam West one since I was very young so I can't really remember it).

Per posted:

A villain had gotten hold of some device that made some areas black and white. When Batman and Robin got caught in this area they were badly affected and had to get back to the color area ASAP. Some vigorous shoulder rubbing of each other helped to heal the effect of the stay in the black and white area. The color area got progressively smaller.
I immediately knew which episode this was from your description, but I've only ever seen it on a black-and-white TV so I had no idea the freeze zone was black-and-white. :aaa:

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

The Bloop posted:

My point was that other batmans such as TAS have aged at least as well as Adam West's series. That's all. I've got no bone against 60's Bat-movie

The end of the Dark Knight Rises was basically a remake of this scene if you think about it.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Tiggum posted:

Xena's only good for one season, then they added Joxer (Ted Raimi) to the show and he ruins everything.

He leaves the show for the last 2 or 3 seasons, but that's when the show got weird with Xena having a baby, and going around killing the gods of every religion in the name of Jesus Eli.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
I wonder what's on that bat-channel at that bat-time nowadays.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
This week? The Goldbergs and the NBA Finals.

englerp
Oct 13, 2011

roomforthetuna posted:

That show was amazing, it somehow managed to be grimdark and camp at the same time.

Yep, on the one hand we have a silver-agey show featuring some of the obscurest characters and things like musical episodes. (Well one, plus some episodes like "the masks of matches malone" who merely had musical interludes) and on the other had you have one of the darkest adaptations of Batman's origin.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

His replacement was Nana Visitor, who played Kira on DS9. I don't even care for Star Trek but that sounds like a trade up to me.

Hell yeah, Nana is awesome. Also one character whose Star Trek alien name sounds less weird than their real name.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

muscles like this! posted:

My "favorite" change from later in Andromeda was how after Sorbo became producer he gave an interview just hand waving away the premise of the series by saying how Hunt had set up the new Commonwealth and now he was going to be doing other stuff ("other stuff" involved turning out to be a god.)

Yeah, Andromeda's first two seasons were entertaining enough with a few interesting premises, not to mention the idea of Earth NOT being the head of the Federation Systems Commonwealth (the capital wasn't even in the Milky Way IIRC).

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hell yeah, Nana is awesome. Also one character whose Star Trek alien name sounds less weird than their real name.

To be fair, Kira and Nerys are both real names.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

That never made any sense though. You can perfectly reproduce something down to the subatomic level but somehow it just doesn't taste the same? Bullshit. I suppose your stereo system sounds better with gold-plated speaker cables, too?

I think it's implied the tech is there but the programmers suck is why.

Like you tell it to replicate Hamburger. Now, you could be getting a gourmet hamburger that's absolutely perfect and juicy, or you could get a McDonalds dollar menu item. If the dipshit who made the program likes McDonalds, there you go.

Then they mass produce the things so every hamburger you ever eat tastes like a McDonalds hamburger. After a few years even a Burger King hamburger would seem like the best loving thing ever.

ED: Alternate theory is that everything in a Federation food replicator is perfectly balanced for nutrition value at the expense of everything else (like taste) and sometimes you just want loving junk food. I could absolutely see a replicator denying your heart attack quadruple bacon burger request.

Blazing Ownager has a new favorite as of 12:19 on Jun 2, 2018

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Maxwell Lord posted:

The best part of Seaquest's goofy-rear end second season was Roy Scheider went public saying the show sucked now. Even filmed interviews and such, it was hilarious, he admitted he was only doing it because it was good money and a nice vacation.

So of course he's gone by season 3 and they try to reboot it again.

Season 3 was a guilty pleasure for me when it suddenly stopped being SeaTrek and started being SeaWars and everyone was dying all the time in submarine fighter battles in the future.

Mostly because of Michael Ironside because it's loving Michael Ironside, of course.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

fruit on the bottom posted:

Just looked this up, I guess a chiropractor accidentally released some blood clots which led to an aneurysm which led to four strokes in 1997.

E: he’s had pretty consistent work all things considered. I guess he must be pretty easy to work with even if he’s a little out there.

His sudden appearance in poo poo like God's Not Dead makes so much more sense to me now.

Though part of me always wondered if his religious conversion actually came around the time of Hercules going "Christianity shows up and has the heroes murder all the Greek Gods" phase. Yeah, I saw pretty much all of Hercules and Xena back in the day, it was the only thing on at 3AM.

.... I also saw loving Cleopatra 2025 more than once which was the single most painful experience ever. Even as a kid I could sit through the wave of cringe from poo poo like Hercules, but 2025 was more like a train wreck I couldn't stop looking at because it was just so loving bad.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Kira is one of the best characters in the whole franchise and has like the most complete arc of any of them.

Also on the topic of not aging well she'd never, ever, ever, EVER been written like she was today. How many times does she proclaim she was proud of being a terrorist? And they definitely don't shy away from the T word.

ED: Speaking of that, the DS9 9/11 episode a year before 9/11 is an interesting "Did it age well?" one. Because if you don't realize it was a year before it seems like a heavy handed episode jumping on a band wagon, but if you do realize it, it's uncanny about a lot of the political climate afterward. Seriously show that episode to people who know nothing about it and every single one will assume it was written after 9/11.

And for bonus points, unlike the real 9/11, this one WAS an inside job!

Blazing Ownager has a new favorite as of 12:30 on Jun 2, 2018

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Every single other character in Andromeda was a hundred times more interesting than Dylan Sorbo Hunt. A season and a half of Andromeda is fun space opera nonsense and then it's not even worth watching for trash TV time. Uggh.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
One show I have fond memories of I don't dare re-watch because I suspect it aged like poo poo is Time Trax. I loving loved Time Trax, right down to their bullshit budget saving things like "My credit card is my laser gun!"

I truly suspect it's pure poo poo at this point and I don't want to tarnish that nostalgia.

Quinctia posted:

Speaking of bad 90s sci-fi what was the incredibly tepid show about aliens coming to Earth and then just being like a political faction? All the sets looked like rear end. I remember PARTS of that series because I remember catching it before/after things and was always shocked with how luke-warm everything was, every plot development handled in the most middling way.

No idea if that's true or not or even what it was called.

I'm not talking about Alien Nation, that was pretty fun. This was much, much lamer. I don't even know how many seasons it ran for. It's like the AESTHETIC of it is burned into my brain and I dumped everything else. I think it might have been based on some Roddenberry thing. The aliens were always scheming for political power and shut down in lame ways.

Blazing Ownager has a new favorite as of 12:38 on Jun 2, 2018

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Blazing Ownager posted:

Speaking of bad 90s sci-fi what was the incredibly tepid show about aliens coming to Earth and then just being like a political faction? All the sets looked like rear end. I remember PARTS of that series because I remember catching it before/after things and was always shocked with how luke-warm everything was, every plot development handled in the most middling way.

No idea if that's true or not or even what it was called.

I'm not talking about Alien Nation, that was pretty fun. This was much, much lamer. I don't even know how many seasons it ran for. It's like the AESTHETIC of it is burned into my brain and I dumped everything else. I think it might have been based on some Roddenberry thing. The aliens were always scheming for political power and shut down in lame ways.

Earth: Final Conflict?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BattleMaster posted:

Earth: Final Conflict?

Yep! That's the one.

Am I remembering it too harshly? It's really just a scattershot of shitastic CGI and garish colors in my mind.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Blazing Ownager posted:

I think it's implied the tech is there but the programmers suck is why.

Like you tell it to replicate Hamburger. Now, you could be getting a gourmet hamburger that's absolutely perfect and juicy, or you could get a McDonalds dollar menu item. If the dipshit who made the program likes McDonalds, there you go.

Then they mass produce the things so every hamburger you ever eat tastes like a McDonalds hamburger. After a few years even a Burger King hamburger would seem like the best loving thing ever.

ED: Alternate theory is that everything in a Federation food replicator is perfectly balanced for nutrition value at the expense of everything else (like taste) and sometimes you just want loving junk food. I could absolutely see a replicator denying your heart attack quadruple bacon burger request.

They have fake alcohol that you can take a pill with to immediately sober up, guarantee they have some kind of treatment to clear out your arteries in a hurry.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of alien invasion TV shows, the remake of V is almost worth watching in it's entirety just for the final episode which is just the ultimate punchline.

It's like they knew they were being canceled and, well.. let's just say the whole episode is the TV equivalent of this:

They even killed the annoying kid, and didn't just kill him but made a clone of his girlfriend eat him in front of his real girlfriend and checks out on a humanity is hosed, :lol:! note. For those that didn't watch, I'll sum that character up as Jar-Jar binks as a sullen teenager, so... well I think the whole thread gave the equivalent of a standing ovation.

Like if they had gotten picked up for a 3rd season after that, they'd have no loving way out of it. Like very few people saw that show but holy gently caress am I glad I went on the ride just to watch them not just burn it down, but hit it with an atom bomb.

Also I thought it was loving hilarious when the best character, a hired mercenary (played by an actor I always call Not-Bronn and wish was in more stuff) saw poo poo hitting the fan and just bounced. I couldn't stop laughing about him being one of the only characters to survive by bravely knowing poo poo was hosed and getting out of town.

I mean sure, I've seen lots of TV finales where lots of people die. I've never seen one where they did everything possible to gently caress all of humanity, but 5 stars.

Blazing Ownager has a new favorite as of 12:49 on Jun 2, 2018

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Blazing Ownager posted:

Yep! That's the one.

Am I remembering it too harshly? It's really just a scattershot of shitastic CGI and garish colors in my mind.

You probably are; it's not unwatchably terrible but I wouldn't call it great. Just middle of the road as far as 90s TV sci-fi schlock went.

I binge watched it a few years ago because I had caught episodes here or there a while ago and wanted to see it in its entirety out of curiosity. It had a particularly poor final season that I stopped watching in disgust, but until then I didn't feel like I was entirely wasting my time. It had some good characters and good moments. It was also filmed in my city so it was fun trying to pick out where certain outdoor scenes were shot.

That said I have a lot of nostalgia for a particular part of my life from about 1998 to 2004 or so when I had a TV next to my computer and could tune in to the Space Channel whenever I wanted for dumb sci-fi to play in the background when I played Quake or something, so I might have more tolerance for this kind of crap.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Blazing Ownager posted:

One show I have fond memories of I don't dare re-watch because I suspect it aged like poo poo is Time Trax. I loving loved Time Trax, right down to their bullshit budget saving things like "My credit card is my laser gun!"

I truly suspect it's pure poo poo at this point and I don't want to tarnish that nostalgia.

In the first episode when he goes back in time, he's given a vintage Chicago Cubs hat to help him fit in. And then the first person he encounters in the past looks at his hat funny and tells him he's a long way from Chicago. Even at 11 I thought that was a strange criticism. People wear different team gear all over the country.

And his hologram lady assistant / partner. And how they can detect the future criminals by their higher heart rate. And when his heart rate slows down because he's been in the past too long.

Time Trax also came on with Kung Fu: The Legend Continues, and some show called The Hat Squad. My grandfather and I used to watch them. I think they were all crap.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ Time Trax and Kung Fu: TLC were actually triple-promoted with Babylon 5.

purple death ray posted:

They have fake alcohol that you can take a pill with to immediately sober up, guarantee they have some kind of treatment to clear out your arteries in a hurry.

They could regrow your loving kidneys 70 years previously, I guarantee they could clean out your arteries.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Besesoth posted:

I mean, Star Trek was literally pitched as "Wagon Train in space".

I know this was from the last page, but...

The reference to Wagon Train was about how by being on a ship they would be able to go to new places and meet different people and new situations every week, which was that shows stories worked. Unlike, say, Gunsmoke where you had the same setting all the time.

Roddenberry wasn't talking about it as "gunslingers in space", he was describing the huge number and variety of potential stories to TV execs in terms they would get.

Although they did have a literal wild west episode (but it was an illusion by aliens!). Third season, ugh. Right up there with Space Hippies and Kirk Becomes a Girl!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Blazing Ownager posted:

.... I also saw loving Cleopatra 2025 more than once which was the single most painful experience ever. Even as a kid I could sit through the wave of cringe from poo poo like Hercules, but 2025 was more like a train wreck I couldn't stop looking at because it was just so loving bad.

"A time-travelling stripper has to save humanity from its robot overlords"

A studio executive saw that pitch and said "Yes that's a good idea!" :psyduck: