Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Milo and POTUS posted:

I did 2 weeks there years ago now and it turns out there was a fire either right before or even during my trip cuz I remember our group number which was start date (I think) and a couple of other identifiers.

What year?

In other current events, Cinnamon Bun Oreos are amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
Current event

I hate traffic check points. They set up on route 83 outside Chicago and made a dumb traffic jam at 1130pm. Great job you dipshits. Exactly what I want to do after working a double is get interrogated by some veiny necked suburban cop.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Is it really a slow news day, or is it just that most posters still haven't found/bookmarked the new thread?

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Brute Squad posted:

New Mexico is on fire, yo.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/new-mexico/articles/2018-06-01/the-latest-new-mexico-fire-burns-structures-at-scout-ranch

Right in the center of Philmont Scout Ranch. I spent three summers out there working, so it's a place near and dear to my heart. Fortunately it's still training time, so no campers to worry about. Base Camp is evac'd.

GIS overlay. t4 CalTopo Hi-Res USA will show the actual camps.
https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4....land_fire_3.txt

It's super dry this year. Driest it's been since they started keeping track in 1880-ish. Gonna be a bad year for fires in NM.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I saw the new thread title and was terrified that Mel Brooks had died or something. He hasn't.

Gwamp
Apr 18, 2003

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo,

Crakkerjakk posted:

It's super dry this year. Driest it's been since they started keeping track in 1880-ish. Gonna be a bad year for fires in NM.

It is going to be a bad year for fires everywhere. I am in Washington and the Washington DNR is gearing up for a heavy fire season.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Speaking of coal getting it's poo poo pushed in.

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2018/6/1/17416444/net-power-natural-gas-carbon-air-pollution-allam-cycle

If that's to be believed it's a new type of natural gas power plant with zero atmospheric carbon release, higher energy efficiency, lower initial capital outlay and smaller physical foot print. It's pretty wild.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

bird food bathtub posted:

Speaking of coal getting it's poo poo pushed in.

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2018/6/1/17416444/net-power-natural-gas-carbon-air-pollution-allam-cycle

If that's to be believed it's a new type of natural gas power plant with zero atmospheric carbon release, higher energy efficiency, lower initial capital outlay and smaller physical foot print. It's pretty wild.

Except for the natural gas itself, which is a bigger greenhouse gas than CO2. Its still part of the problem.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CommieGIR posted:

Except for the natural gas itself, which is a bigger greenhouse gas than CO2. Its still part of the problem.

It's a pretty ingenious concept. They actually use the carbon dioxide exhaust as the means of driving the power turbine. I was skeptical at first, but once I got down to the explanation of how it works yeah this is loving revolutionary.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 2, 2018

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's a pretty ingenious concept. They actually use the carbon dioxide exhaust as the means of driving the turbine rather than as merely exhaust. I was skeptical at first, but once I got down to the explanation of how it works yeah this is loving revolutionary.

It is, and its an awesome design. But the issue is most of the natural gas fields leak like a sieve, and even more now that funding has been cut for NASA/EPA monitoring of those gasses.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CommieGIR posted:

It is, and its an awesome design. But the issue is most of the natural gas fields leak like a sieve, and even more now that funding has been cut for NASA/EPA monitoring of those gasses.

the concept isn't limited to natural gas, though, even though that's how it is currently used.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
natural gas is also important in cold regions cause its so much more efficient to heat a home with gas than it is with just electricity

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

It's also great for cooking fuel.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Hot Karl Marx posted:

natural gas is also important in cold regions cause its so much more efficient to heat a home with gas than it is with just electricity

That is the same garbage argument that people use to justify eating meat. It’s never okay.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

That is the same garbage argument that people use to justify eating meat. It’s never okay.

Oh man we've never had a vegetarian debate in here before. Finally some new material.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
are you being serious or not?

and if your electrical grid is powered by coal anyways why make people pay 4-5x as much to heat their homes for no reason

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Agreed. The only good argument is that meat tastes good and I'd be wasting my canine teeth if I didn't rend chicken flesh from its carcass.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Natural gas and fuel oil are absolutely better at heating dwellings than electricity though.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Fossil fuels and meat are the juiciest most flavorful intersection of controversy I tell you hwut

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

shame on an IGA posted:

Fossil fuels and meat are the juiciest most flavorful intersection of controversy I tell you hwut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvH2i9_80DQ

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Is there a breakdown of where most gas gets used? We won't be able to do a 100% switch to electric cars anytime soon because of how big and spread out we are, but how big of an impact would switching over all the cars in urban areas be?

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr
EU says US playing 'dangerous game' with tarrifs

the BBC posted:

Canada, Mexico and the EU together exported $23bn (£17bn) worth of steel and aluminium to the US in 2017 - nearly half of the $48bn of total steel and aluminium imports last year.

European firms have said they fear lower US demand for foreign steel will divert shipments to Europe.

Analysts at IHS Markit expect the effects to be distributed across a wide range of markets, limiting the effect on steel prices outside the US.

That leaves America to bear the brunt of the economic impact, which economists say will appear in the form of higher prices and job losses - as many as 470,000 by one estimate.

Steel prices in the US have already risen due to the uncertainty and may increase as the tariffs hit imports.

Consumers outside the US could see prices of some goods fall, while those in America may end up paying more.

The best deals...

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
We got some better info one one of the few government sites if you need more detailed information but here.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
This is from 1989

I don't know of any more recent studies besides one in 1994.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm afraid that this might be the only way that they'll learn, or at least their kids will.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/Deadspin/status/1002747000931147776/video/1

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

"Bang Bang Your Gone" :unsmigghh:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

:perfect:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Chichevache posted:

"Bang Bang Your Gone" :unsmigghh:

It's no Gluestick, but it's a name.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm afraid that this might be the only way that they'll learn, or at least their kids will.

They won't, it'll be spun into being the democrats fault like everything else.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It's no Gluestick, but it's a name.

I'm angrier about the lack of apostrophe...

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

I don't get it. What am I supposed to be looking at? I'm sorry for not seeing it, I've never really watched horse racing before.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Torrannor posted:

I don't get it. What am I supposed to be looking at? I'm sorry for not seeing it, I've never really watched horse racing before.

the names

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Torrannor posted:

You're supposed to be looking at Bofa Deez Nutz.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Torrannor posted:

"Bofa Deez Nutz" klingt wie "Both of these nuts", eine Anspielung auf Hoden. Siehst du, Amerikaner sind regelrecht betört von jeder Form von Witzen, die Hoden, oder - in der Tat - den allgemeinen Genitalbereich involvieren. Kürzlich haben sie einen Präsidenten gewählt, der nachhaltig am positiven öffentlichen Eindruck seiner Genitalien interessiert ist.

Furz.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

uh oh im having a stroke

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Whoa yeah, now I see it. Thanks!

I'm surprised, with the stereotype of Americans being more prude than Europeans and horse racing (In my mind) being a more conservative leaning sport, I would have thought that the race officials would have banned those names for being too lewd.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

"Bofa Deez Nutz" klingt wie "Both of these nuts", eine Anspielung auf Hoden. Siehst du, Amerikaner sind regelrecht betört von jeder Form von Witzen, die Hoden, oder - in der Tat - den allgemeinen Genitalbereich involvieren. Kürzlich haben sie einen Präsidenten gewählt, der nachhaltig am positiven öffentlichen Eindruck seiner Genitalien interessiert ist.

Furz.

And we are known for being obsessed with poo poo, which you handily proved with your last word. :(

There's even an article in businessinsider:

http://www.businessinsider.com/michael-lewis-german-feces-obsession-dukatenscheisser-2016-12?IR=T

Reverence
Nov 1, 2009

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/06/title-ix-is-too-easy-to-abuse/561650/

Is this the equivalent of the guy who always asks "what if we're both drunk?" during every sexual assault briefing?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Reverence posted:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/06/title-ix-is-too-easy-to-abuse/561650/

Is this the equivalent of the guy who always asks "what if we're both drunk?" during every sexual assault briefing?

Caitlin Flanagan is retarded boomer handwringing personified. Her professional career is 99% just rewriting that linked article like twice a year and going home early to chug some momwine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
She's the same person who tried to defend Aziz Ansari. She's clueless.

• Locked thread