Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

It's important to have a set for every guest.

I swear to god I'm going to throw all my individually engraved cocktail napkins at you. But I need them back when I'm done because we paid good money for them.

...We don't have engraved matchbooks yet but I haven't won that battle quite yet. Nobody even smokes in either of our families what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Renegret posted:

I swear to god I'm going to throw all my individually engraved cocktail napkins at you. But I need them back when I'm done because we paid good money for them.

...We don't have engraved matchbooks yet but I haven't won that battle quite yet. Nobody even smokes in either of our families what the gently caress

Well sure, but how many arsonists do you have?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wedding cake knives were a thing back in the 80s, I would imagine before and after, definitely not a new thing. There was a white marbled handgrip wedding cake knife and serving... pizza slice shaped metal thing that lived in the drawer and were explicitly never to be used by mere mortals.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
I got a $34 set off of Amazon

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
We didn't serve cake.

~ weddings are entirely made up and fake do whatever you want you are free ~

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Hadlock posted:

Wedding cake knives were a thing back in the 80s, I would imagine before and after, definitely not a new thing. There was a white marbled handgrip wedding cake knife and serving... pizza slice shaped metal thing that lived in the drawer and were explicitly never to be used by mere mortals.

My father is a photogrpaher. As was his father before him. Now I have taken the mantle. I have seen many fads come and go. I experienced the fashion fallout from Charles and Diana's wedding. I have seen the true face of Tacky Fads.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

small bird pudding posted:

Well sure, but how many arsonists do you have?

I see these matchbooks piled up in bathrooms everywhere I go.

Special cake carving knives were a plot point on The Flash this season I think?

Yes, do whatever the gently caress you want. All of these little personalizations are the things that pile up and before you know it you've spent a few grand on things people notice, think are cute for 2 seconds, and then get on with their night.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Nicol Bolas posted:

~ weddings are entirely made up and fake do whatever you want you are free ~

Yeah but what if our 3rd cousin's work friend's son that our mom made us invite doesn't approve of the table center pieces and thinks we're trashy

better spend and extra 5k on flowers just in case.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

Yeah but what if our 3rd cousin's work friend's son that our mom made us invite doesn't approve of the table center pieces and thinks we're trashy

better spend and extra 5k on flowers just in case.

In all seriousness: Apparently one of my relatives was pissed that we had such a jokey wedding ceremony. They were under the impression that we should have indicated it would be silly and not Serious. I don't know how we could have indicated it more clearly; the invite was a treasure chest and it's me.

gently caress em.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

You did sneak in some elder dragon legends somehow right?

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

silvergoose posted:

You did sneak in some elder dragon legends somehow right?

Nope! Though we could have. The husband actually wore his wedding costume to the Ixalan prerelease.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Hadlock posted:

We did visual comparisons and it seems that (in 2D mockups) that diameter of stone matters more than carat.

what makes a diamond second hand, is there visible damage to the stone typically, and where can you buy these stones at such cheap prices exactly?

Carat is just a measurement of weight. Gems are measured in weight primarily because in a rough state that's the primary comparison we have to use. Once cut the "make" (cut planning and quality) becomes much more important because it determines the visual appearance of the diamond.

I think you're right that millimeter size is a better thing to shop for than carat weight. Design the ring, know what size you need for it, and buy a diamond that fits your ring. You'll save money not being hung up on having to own a diamond that's exactly 2.00 carats.

A secondhand diamond is just a diamond that was once owned by someone else. They go by many names: Estate, post-consumer, divorced, recycled, etc. Once upon a time, a lot of marketing was spent to convince the public not to buy "diamonds with bad karma," but in reality these are immutable items that are perfectly fine for reuse 100 years in the future. And the market has finally accepted that. Which is why secondhand diamond sales are strong now.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
We were going to just have the reception at the synagogue, but we saw it for the first time and it’s incredibly ugly. Carpeted floor, in a basement, dated lighting. I have no idea what to do, we’re getting married in January in Boston, nobody has cars and nobody wants to walk. Any suggestions?

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
Pipe and drape rentals for the ceremony end of the room. If the basement lights are dimmable, Some uplighting on the drape and down lighting on the altar.

Get an aisle runner from the entrance to the altar held down with some carpet tape on each end. You can get some dollar store glass cylinder trios with cheap LED candles off amazon to line the aisle. Can’t get much more specific w/o seeing the room but it’s some ideas to start with.

Pipe and drape rentals are generally only a few hundred for one wall, and an aisle runner that is 10’x75’ is like ~200.

This is kind of what I am talking about. But you don’t have to go that dim or extreme.

The room your describing is rough to transform on the cheap, but the easiest would be pipe and drape with a runner.

E: oops just saw you were talking about a reception not ceremony.

Richard Bong fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 12, 2018

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
How long should I wait to hear back from a venue? I emailed them on Monday with their online form and I haven’t heard back yet. It’s a gallery space where you can book events. My friends are saying if they haven’t responded yet it’s a bad sign, but I really want to get married here :sigh: Do I re-do the form?

They have an open house the first week of June we’re going to but I’d still like to book now.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
They're saying it's a bad sign after 3 days? Wow.

You can try giving them a call if you want, but I wouldn't redo the form. If it's a small space, they may have a backlog they're working through.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Zaftig posted:

They're saying it's a bad sign after 3 days? Wow.

You can try giving them a call if you want, but I wouldn't redo the form. If it's a small space, they may have a backlog they're working through.

It’s a non-profit arts center, it’s not like a restaurant or hotel. I expect some delay, even up to a week, just being familiar with non-profits, but I wasn’t sure since their space is basically meant for rentals.

And yeah, one person told me it’s a bad sign, someone said if they’re not receptive after 3 days they don’t want your money, and someone said TWENTY FOUR HOURS, which is ridiculous. I don’t even respond to emails in 24 hours sometimes.

E: the Knot says they have event planners but it’s small enough there might only be one or two people managing emails. Galleries can be annoying to work with - I used to be an artist and they’re not really ever receptive.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I would call them. You’ll likely be asked to leave your details for someone to call you back. If you then don’t receive the call back I would be wary, because the person who didn’t respond to your form and didn’t call you back is going to be running your wedding venue: do you want to take that risk? We picked our reception venue based on several factors but the winners were extremely helpful and responsive.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

any good resources for bachelor party ideas? We're still in the brainstorming phase but it wouldn't hurt to get some more inspiration.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

double nine posted:

any good resources for bachelor party ideas? We're still in the brainstorming phase but it wouldn't hurt to get some more inspiration.

Figure out what people's individual $ budgets are. Then figure out what people's debauchery limits are. Also any show stoppers (ie: bachelor has criminal record so can't leave the country/etc)

Then figure out how much sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll you can get within those limits. (If you need help figuring that out, post where you are and what the above limits are).

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Keep it cheap, pick what you want to do and stick to it. It depends on your friends of course but I ended up having a separate one for work friends and personal friends, both large groups, you’ll never please everyone.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Nobody's telling me what my bachelor party is because ~*~It's a surprise~*~ but I'm 90% sure we're just going to a bar in Brooklyn that has a throwing axe range and getting drunk. Because alcohol and throwing axes sounds like a very intelligent idea.

I am 100% okay with this.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Renegret posted:

Nobody's telling me what my bachelor party is because ~*~It's a surprise~*~ but I'm 90% sure we're just going to a bar in Brooklyn that has a throwing axe range and getting drunk.

I am 100% okay with this.

Gotham is pretty cool, I know a few people who have done the same thing there and they all left entertained and mostly intact.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
My fiancé wants his bachelor party to be beer and D&D with someone else DMing.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Nephzinho posted:

Gotham is pretty cool, I know a few people who have done the same thing there and they all left entertained and mostly intact.

The whole thing is stupid to be honest. I'm going to be shocked if our relationship with our familes survives after this wedding. My fiance and I are fine, it's the other people that are causing endless problems.

My best man, my brother, isn't very reliable, so one day my cousin mentioned he did a team building at Gotham's for work and it was a ton of fun. He offered to take care of the bachelor party planning and set it up to go there. I gave a very non committal answer where I said that it sounds like fun but I'm not super picky what we do. Then my future BIL, who lives in loving Hawaii, took over the planning but the party is still in Brooklyn. Except now it's a secret. Assisting him is my future FIL, who is not a city boy and only knows long island, but the party 's still a secret, and is still in Brooklyn.

Oh wow I'm going to be so surprised when it turns out we'll be throwing some axes :geno:

On top of all this, my fiance has been dealing with stupid bullshit bachelorette party drama. Her whole life she wanted to go to a nearby resort and their awesome spa. She's been telling everyone this before she even met me. She's been saying it non stop since we've been engaged. She recently found out that her bachelorette party was...a paint night and dinner. She rightfully threw a poo poo fit. After we dug some, we found out that her brother is running a triathlon the next morning and him and his wife wanted to be back early, so they were trying to end both of our parties early to get home. They justified it by saying that since my birthday is the day after our parties, they wanted to get us home so we could spend my birthday together. gently caress that, we live together, I see my fiance enough. So I threw a poo poo fit because I am not going to brooklyn and going home at loving 7pm.

So basically, what I'm trying to say is:

double nine posted:

Do whatever you want to do and gently caress everyone else. It's your wedding, you do what you want, they have to work around that. I'm not saying you shouldn't be considerate, but if you try to accommodate everyone you're going to go crazy and nobody's going to be happy. Every planning step we've made for everything wedding related has had someone step forward and put their 2 cents in on why it's bad (translation: isn't convenient for that person) so we eventually had to buckle down and say gently caress you, deal with it. If someone doesn't like it, then they don't have to come.

I actually uninvited the maid of honor to the food tasting because I got tired of her making GBS threads on everything to do with the hall.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Zaftig posted:

My fiancé wants his bachelor party to be beer and D&D with someone else DMing.

Mine was renting a cabin in the woods, loading up on beer and fireworks, and mostly playing Mario Kart, horseshoes, and bbq'ing. Low key is fine if that is what people are into!

That sounds annoying as poo poo. My wife was in the same space with her bachelorette where it turned into this weird thing that noone really wanted to do but was convenient due to a variety of factors of lack of leadership in planning. She enjoyed the time with friends but ultimately wasn't really what she had been wishing for. Depending on what you're into there is a ton of stuff to do right around Gotham if that is where you end up -- you're a few blocks away from Court St and there are a ton of good bars and restaurants there, and if you're into board games and poo poo then Brooklyn Strategist is right there (granted I stopped going to the shop years ago because i'm not a fan of their scene, but if you're coming in with a group that shouldn't really matter).

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Really almost every wedding related issue can be solved by "just do what you want and don't worry so much about everyone else."

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Nephzinho posted:

That sounds annoying as poo poo. My wife was in the same space with her bachelorette where it turned into this weird thing that noone really wanted to do but was convenient due to a variety of factors of lack of leadership in planning. She enjoyed the time with friends but ultimately wasn't really what she had been wishing for. Depending on what you're into there is a ton of stuff to do right around Gotham if that is where you end up -- you're a few blocks away from Court St and there are a ton of good bars and restaurants there, and if you're into board games and poo poo then Brooklyn Strategist is right there (granted I stopped going to the shop years ago because i'm not a fan of their scene, but if you're coming in with a group that shouldn't really matter).

Yeah. We thought it was really nice that her SIL was stepping up to plan her bachelorette and Brother for my bachelor. Until we realized there was a selfish ulterior motive. Now we're both pissed and I'm afraid our relationship with them is going to be sour for a while.

I don't really know the area around Gotham, but I grew up in Queens and spent a lot of time geting poo poo faced in Williamsburg. This bachelor party is going to be funny because it's probably going to end up with me dragging everyone around Brooklyn and teaching everyone how to use metrocards. I know I'm being a little contradictory in saying "do whatever you want" without actually knowing what's getting planned for me, but I'm not very picky and I'll be happy with whatever. Personally I'd be happy with a low key backyard BBQ, but I'll also be equally happy with getting poo poo faced and hobbling my way to papaya dog at 2 in the morning.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Anyone have any good recommendations for jewelers that specialize in Men's wedding bands? Specifically meteorite inlays.

I had originally seen some on Manly Bands that I liked, but cooled on them once I found out most of their rings seem to be just rebranded rings that are cheaply bought and made elsewhere.

I did see some rings with meteorite inlays that I liked the look of from this guy,
https://jewelrybyjohan.com

Just curious if anyone else bought from him or has a similar ring that they got elsewhere they're really happy with.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

JohnnyRnR posted:

It all depends on what you're looking for. You can find great cuts in both mined & synthetic material.

The big difference between the two types of diamonds on the market now is residual value. Synthetic diamonds & Moissanite make fine engagement rings. But they're worth practically nothing secondhand and prices are still dropping as production increases.

Diamonds have a dependable market & have been traded for centuries. You won't get the original retail price when you sell a $20,000 engagement ring, but having an insurable asset that's easily convertible to $10-15k when you need it is valuable to some people. Everyone has different goals when they buy jewelry.

But like everything, you need to know what you're buying so you don't overpay.

$10k diamond that sells for $5k = -$5k

$1200 moissanite ring that looks the same and sells for $0 = -$1200

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Handsome Ralph posted:

Anyone have any good recommendations for jewelers that specialize in Men's wedding bands? Specifically meteorite inlays.

I had originally seen some on Manly Bands that I liked, but cooled on them once I found out most of their rings seem to be just rebranded rings that are cheaply bought and made elsewhere.

I did see some rings with meteorite inlays that I liked the look of from this guy,
https://jewelrybyjohan.com

Just curious if anyone else bought from him or has a similar ring that they got elsewhere they're really happy with.

I will always recommend Boone titanium rings because I find them to be right in my style. They are very responsive and quick and have never had any complaints with either of my rings (had to order a second after I pitched mine during mardi gras)

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Hm the jewelry thread seems to be archived so I guess I will post in here?? Sorry if this is off topic

How wide (in mm) are the gems used in jewelry, engagement rings or otherwise? I usually cut bigass gems because they rule but I suppose I should make something that is actually usable in size.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Xun posted:

Hm the jewelry thread seems to be archived so I guess I will post in here?? Sorry if this is off topic

How wide (in mm) are the gems used in jewelry, engagement rings or otherwise? I usually cut bigass gems because they rule but I suppose I should make something that is actually usable in size.

Here's a carat-to-mm size conversion chart for diamonds, and the average size is about 1 carat I think. I had my guy go for moissanite but still kept it to about a carat because anything bigger looked garish on my size 4.5 finger, lol.

Less than two months to go for me! I'm excited, and also looking forward to not having stress dreams about seating arrangements and stationery anymore. RSVPs are due in two weeks and it'll be good to have that set.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Got married on Thursday in Skiathos, Greece and it was amazing, the hotel was amazing, the best day ever and it came in at a quarter of the UK wedding we cancelled (guests down from 100 to 20).

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

Invalid Octopus posted:

Less than two months to go for me! I'm excited, and also looking forward to not having stress dreams about seating arrangements and stationery anymore. RSVPs are due in two weeks and it'll be good to have that set.

The stress dreams do not stop. I got married last September, and 2 weeks ago I dreamed that my entire wedding was actually just the dress rehearsal and it was still upcoming. I woke up crying and in a cold sweat.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
I feel like since we’re eloping I shouldn’t be having wedding nightmares, but I keep dreaming we’re not in Copenhagen when we need to be and we can’t get there. Either that or in the dream I live with my parents and something causes me to think I should live with my fiancé, even though irl we live together and my parents are several states away. Only a month from Monday to go, though. :toot:

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Got married on Thursday in Skiathos, Greece and it was amazing, the hotel was amazing, the best day ever and it came in at a quarter of the UK wedding we cancelled (guests down from 100 to 20).

Congratulations!

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Invalid Octopus posted:

Here's a carat-to-mm size conversion chart for diamonds, and the average size is about 1 carat I think. I had my guy go for moissanite but still kept it to about a carat because anything bigger looked garish on my size 4.5 finger, lol.

Thanks! Looks like I should be sticking in the 5-7mm range then. Guessing things like earrings and bracelets might be around there too. I wonder if I should try to stick to regular sizes or if a decent jeweler can handle a weird 6.73mm gem.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hopes Fall posted:

The stress dreams do not stop. I got married last September, and 2 weeks ago I dreamed that my entire wedding was actually just the dress rehearsal and it was still upcoming. I woke up crying and in a cold sweat.

Sure they do.

If you end up having kids, you get different stress dreams!

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

silvergoose posted:

Sure they do.

If you end up having kids, you get different stress dreams!

Horse hockey. I still have dreams about forgetting my locker combination, and I graduated from high school in 2006. You just collect more variety of stress dream throughout your life!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hopes Fall posted:

Horse hockey. I still have dreams about forgetting my locker combination, and I graduated from high school in 2006. You just collect more variety of stress dream throughout your life!

Hmm, you're probably right. I just know all of my stress dreams these days are waking up in a sweat thinking our kid is in bed with us and why is he not in his crib and oh god did I just roll over onto him and...no, that's, no, he's definitely not there, and besides he's 3 years old now.

(the fun part is that now I have a newborn too, so I get both kinds)