Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

cinci zoo sniper posted:

far trickier in this context means holding shift

"to figure out how to"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Krankenstyle posted:

im gonna delete the windows next week idgaf if i get fired

do the right thing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pram posted:

osx has been pretty consistent for the past decades and that works for me and suits my needs
yeah osx has been consistently bad since release

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Shaggar posted:

:regd11:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

I'll take consistently bad over the much more variably bad windows releases.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/01/microsoft--github-acquisition-talks-resume.html

better than google imo

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

:rip:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

they're going to rename it "visual studio cloud" or something and change the url, instantly breaking 40% of the web

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
nah microsoft under nadella doesn't rebrand the large acquisitions

if they buy it they'll just add ci/cd integration with VSTS and make it ridiculously easy to deploy your code to azure

like "oops i accidentally clicked this button and now my code is running in a very expensive aks cluster"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

do the right thing

:yeah:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

qirex posted:

they're going to rename it "visual studio cloud" or something and change the url, instantly breaking 40% of the web

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

teams integration oh boy!

seriously though god drat it lol

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

cheese-cube posted:

it's funny and immensely annoying that microsoft just do not give a single gently caress about any of your settings and whenever you install a win10 update (or whatever the creator/spring updates are called) they get reset to defaults. couple examples:

• startup configuration for windows services: i dont have a printer so i disable the print spooler service. however sure enough whenever i install an update it's set back to automatic.
  • defrag schedule: this one is a far bigger PITA. i've got several iSCSI LUNs mounted on my machine and as such i disable the scheduled defrag for the volumes. however whenever i install a new update scheduled defrag is just re-enabled for all volumes.

there's probably more examples however those are the only ones i remember. imo the reason this poo poo happens is because microsoft are lazy assholes and don't want to test regression and poo poo for different configurations so they just reset your settings to default

this garbage aside, i've never seen a single ad on my machine once however im not sure if that's because ive got pro or if i changed some setting (or both)

Is it actually starting the defrag job? I've never seen Windows attempt to defrag remote storage or VMDKs. Are you mounting through the NIC?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Is it actually starting the defrag job? I've never seen Windows attempt to defrag remote storage or VMDKs. Are you mounting through the NIC?

doesn't really matter. the "right-click, properties -> tools -> optimise" dialog lists defrag schedules based on querying the task scheduler. they're one in the same. and yeah, the jobs launch defrag against the target volume

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Fiedler posted:

nah microsoft under nadella doesn't rebrand the large acquisitions

if they buy it they'll just add ci/cd integration with VSTS and make it ridiculously easy to deploy your code to azure

like "oops i accidentally clicked this button and now my code is running in a very expensive aks cluster"

yeah, this is the most likely outcome. LinkedIn was left alone (apart from the whole "integrate into MS graph", which is why they were bought), and the GitHub brand is too strong to rename it.

not putting it past marketing though to screw it up!

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Well it is certainly happening https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-03/microsoft-is-said-to-have-agreed-to-acquire-coding-site-github

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

the microsoft pr person responsible for this article got "github was impressed by satya nadella" into the second paragraph. loving lol.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
looking forward to linkedin login, azure and Skype for business integration in GitHub!

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
maybe they'll even smuggle one or two CIA backdoors into the deal for free!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

GitHub for business

:suicide:

on the other hand nothing may happen. I mean yes Skype for business is awful but it was never good and it’s predecessor lync was never good either. it’ll probably be fine

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Boiled Water posted:

GitHub for business

that already exists lol

https://enterprise.github.com/home

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Schadenboner posted:

What's the best way to get a "Sevenish" experience on 10? Because poo poo breaks (and MS literally colluded with loving Intel to spike new hardware working on 7, motherfuckers) so I'll probably need to get another Windows machine at some point in the next 40-50 years. And I like 7 a whole lot more than I liked 10 when I tried it or XP when I remember it. So yeah.

Real talk just install Classic Shell. It's free. Microsoft apologists will call you a sperg and they'll claim you can make the 10 start menu similar to but gently caress that, no you can't. I can now see virtually every single program I have installed on my pc without having to scroll through these 24 pt. font size program lists like I'm on some sort of retarded Windows tablet.

Also it owns clicking start and control panel and every single item in the control panel practically fits in the start menu, Windows 95 style. poo poo owns

The only other thing I can't stand is Windows 10 keeps downloading this loving mouse driver for my ThinkPad that I don't want it to download and even using this "hide specific update" program Microsoft offers it comes back the next time 😡

Oh and for some reason when I right click and shift in a folder it only gives me the option for open this directory in powershell, no more option for command prompt because Microsoft???

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

I’ve seen a bunch of comments like “lol codeplex” but codex didn’t have a business plan, and GitHub does, so :shrug:

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i can't wait for them to use github as a brand to use anywhere much like minecraft or halo

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

github's standalone business plan is poo poo but there's massive value for microsoft in integration

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Real talk just install Classic Shell. It's free.

no don't. yes windows 10 is different than windows 7 and that's scary and you're upset. but that's just you being allergic to change. try living with windows 10 for a couple of weeks before making everything look exactly like windows 7 and you'll see that actually windows 10 is fine and you no longer feel the need to install ui hacks.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Fiedler posted:

no don't. yes windows 10 is different than windows 7 and that's scary and you're upset. but that's just you being allergic to change. try living with windows 10 for a couple of weeks before making everything look exactly like windows 7 and you'll see that actually windows 10 is fine and you no longer feel the need to install ui hacks.

Not wanting to scroll slowly through a program list for 40 seconds instead of seeing them all at once has nothing to do with being scared of change

"The start button is now on the top right corner of the screen, stop fearing change!! :buddy: "

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I just start typing then wait forever since windows search is rear end

it can sometimes find already installed software but don’t count on it

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Not wanting to scroll slowly through a program list for 40 seconds instead of seeing them all at once has nothing to do with being scared of change

in windows 10 you pin the programs you frequently use to the taskbar, start menu, or desktop, or you hit windows key and then type the first 2 letters of the program's name. it turns out that this mode of interaction is faster than scanning through a list of 200 items.

but you wouldn't know because you've never actually tried to use it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Boiled Water posted:

I just start typing then wait forever since windows search is rear end

it can sometimes find already installed software but don’t count on it

Yeah search is completely inconsistent for me. Sometimes it will find things in 2 seconds, sometimes literally never (it just stays at "working on it" forever).

I noticed windows will not find files named file_name2356.mp4 but it will find it if you leave out the file extension :psyduck:

Also it won't find anything if I search just 2356 :chloe:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Fiedler posted:

in windows 10 you pin the programs you frequently use to the taskbar, start menu, or desktop, or you hit windows key and then type the first 2 letters of the program's name. it turns out that this mode of interaction is faster than scanning through a list of 200 items.

I did. It sucks

Sometimes I kind of don't remember the name of a program

If you wanna gently caress around looking for things in the control panel (or maybe it's in the New Metro™ Control Panel®??? :iiam: ) be my guest

Just a reminder that yospos used to claim it was spergy when posters were annoyed that Apple didn't let you see apps you previously purchased or downloaded in iOS. "If the app was so important, you'd remember what it was" :rolleyes:

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

sorry the ui isn't optimized for your use case of "i have 200 different programs that i use regularly and whose names i don't remember"

pram
Jun 10, 2001

gently caress

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Fiedler posted:

sorry the ui isn't optimized for your use case of "i have 200 different programs that i use regularly and whose names i don't remember"

My setup allows for both use cases, hth

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best
https://twitter.com/ErrataRob/status/1003396869052141568

not the take i was expecting

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

well all the fun software is probably going to disappear

like exploit poc, emulators and vpn software for china

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
lmao awesp,e

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
> In what is likely to be hailed as a landmark of the computer industry,
> Richard Stallman, of the Free Software Foundation, and Bill Gates,
> of Microsoft, announced that they would be concluding a merger within
> a year, setting a target date of April 1st, 1997.
>
> "It's all been a horrible misunderstanding", says Stallman, a long time
> advocate of free software.
>
> "It's really just a semantic thing", says Gates. "We call software free
> when the vendor has to bundle it with the machine and swallow the expense,
> or they don't get sales. Stallman calls it free when the vendor can't
> bundle it with the machine and pass the expenses on to you. It really
> comes down to the same thing, and that's market share."
>
> The first visible products of this merger will be "Hurd '97", to be released
> by 3Q1998, and "Hello '96", which will be a replacement product for
> Windows For Workgroups. Gates comments, "the mail reader is brilliant;
> I wish we'd had these people with us all along."
>
> The two met inside Westminster Cathedral, where they embraced, and
> called each other "anathema", the Latin for "brother".

it's 2018 and satire is impossible

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Fiedler posted:

just friday i typed "part" and hit enter when i saw disk partition manager pop up, only to find that a web search for a store called "party time" fed in through the web just before i hit the key, causing a web browser window to open with the store highlighted in a bing map instead of the desired program that was initially highlighted in search

windows 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Gazpacho posted:

> In what is likely to be hailed as a landmark of the computer industry,
> Richard Stallman, of the Free Software Foundation, and Bill Gates,
> of Microsoft, announced that they would be concluding a merger within
> a year, setting a target date of April 1st, 1997.
>
> "It's all been a horrible misunderstanding", says Stallman, a long time
> advocate of free software.
>
> "It's really just a semantic thing", says Gates. "We call software free
> when the vendor has to bundle it with the machine and swallow the expense,
> or they don't get sales. Stallman calls it free when the vendor can't
> bundle it with the machine and pass the expenses on to you. It really
> comes down to the same thing, and that's market share."
>
> The first visible products of this merger will be "Hurd '97", to be released
> by 3Q1998, and "Hello '96", which will be a replacement product for
> Windows For Workgroups. Gates comments, "the mail reader is brilliant;
> I wish we'd had these people with us all along."
>
> The two met inside Westminster Cathedral, where they embraced, and
> called each other "anathema", the Latin for "brother".

it's 2018 and satire is impossible

die young or live long enough to become the villain