Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think there’s absolutely potential in the promise of running a ship crew in the ancient Mediterranean, there’s loads of hijinks to be had in that setting. I know less about Roman-occupied Greece and would be more pumped about “literally the odyssey: the game” but I’ll buy whatever they sell frankly, I’m a sucker for these dumb games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think there’s absolutely potential in the promise of running a ship crew in the ancient Mediterranean, there’s loads of hijinks to be had in that setting. I know less about Roman-occupied Greece and would be more pumped about “literally the odyssey: the game” but I’ll buy whatever they sell frankly, I’m a sucker for these dumb games

I wouldn't be surprised if we got some Jason and the Argonauts DLC in the style of AC3 and Origins' batshit crazy DLCs, too. Fightin' some crazy stop motion skeletons to hunt down the Golden Fleece, which is obviously a Precursor artifact.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The mechanic just doesn't have anywhere to go.

What they should do is be really loving bold and make future-AC in a Mass Effect style setting.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Ship combat in Odyssey would be immeasurably improved by dropping a worthless captain/first mate who brags about his combat prowess in cutscenes, but at the first sign of a sail starts screaming incoherent bullshit while the player is occupied with not dying. That would be A+

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

How can anyone not want to load up ballistae on your ship and launch gigantic flaming harpoons at other ships and then ram them with the front of your trireme as you're blasting greek fire into their crew?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Greek fire comes way after the Western Roman Empire eats dirt unfortunately

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

wyoak posted:

Ah, but bayek finds a uh precursor artifact in, I dunno, a temple, and

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

man this game is gonna be awesome if any of that leak is true

outrunning a volcanic eruption is gonna own so hard

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
i wonder if you will meet paul. he was loving around in greece a bunch during that time.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Alchenar posted:

What they should do is be really loving bold and make future-AC in a Mass Effect style setting.

The AC game where you play as Eve and fight literal gods and hordes of mindcontrolled neandertals, while naked climbing the iPod-white walls of Ur or Bam or wherever, and using Pieces of Eden in gameplay will never come to be outside my dreams, I fear.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.reddit.com/r/assassinscreed/comments/8nrhfl/odysseys_details/

sounds interesting if true. origins mixed with brotherhood.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Baseless Speculation posted:

Next game will release Q4 2019 as well - Takes place in Rome - made by origins team - With a two year break following the conclusion of trilogy

I think this was expected. Surprised they are going back to yearly releases for a new trilogy.

wyoak posted:

Oh man, someone should tell them to edit all of the pistols out of the Ezio games!

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Not digging the supposed gravity towards Unity parkour over Origins. The ability to climb nearly anything led me to presume and accept that mechanic implicitly; there's rarely a question of if, or a moment where something can't be scaled. I just do it and it rules.

We'll see if it's accurate and to what degree.

crazycarl
Jun 13, 2001

Welcome to TB Diddlers in Mokena.

Where the special is always Dr Rassmusin's Hot Beef Injection and you can play "Whers my Manometer" with other diners

Crappy Jack posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if we got some Jason and the Argonauts DLC in the style of AC3 and Origins' batshit crazy DLCs, too. Fightin' some crazy stop motion skeletons to hunt down the Golden Fleece, which is obviously a Precursor artifact.

It already is in the canon that the golden fleece is a precursor artifact it becomes the shroud of Turin which lucrezia borgia uses on one of her kids because they were disfigured or something

Yes I am that big an rear end creed nerd

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

crazycarl posted:

It already is in the canon that the golden fleece is a precursor artifact it becomes the shroud of Turin which lucrezia borgia uses on one of her kids because they were disfigured or something

Yes I am that big an rear end creed nerd

The writers will be relieved that somebody is actually reading it

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

isk posted:

Not digging the supposed gravity towards Unity parkour over Origins. The ability to climb nearly anything led me to presume and accept that mechanic implicitly; there's rarely a question of if, or a moment where something can't be scaled. I just do it and it rules.

We'll see if it's accurate and to what degree.

Climbing everything is fantastic and not being able to climb everything was a huge black mark on Horizon: Zero Dawn.

I enjoyed the ship combat in Black Flag but they drove it into the ground. I skipped Rogue entirely and found the missions in Origins to be not great.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I played Horizon after Origins (well, not right after) and at first it was jarring not having the climb-anything mechanic but I didn't really mind it. The game clearly doesn't want you to go anywhere at any time because it wants to guide you through certain areas at the right time for maximum effect, inspiring awe or instilling fear.

And honestly, it was most annoying when you couldn't climb human-made structures like scaffolding and walls but even in Origins there were lots of walls too smooth that you couldn't find purchase on.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Crappy Jack posted:

The Golden Fleece was Syndicate's precursor artifact, the Shroud of Eden!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Reading the reddit link: Syndicate had a very weighted parkour system, probably the "best" in the series, but I can't really say that. When you stopped being able to manually jump and get around faster by learning the quirks of the game, then it stopped being as engaging as it could be. Origins works just because you don't need to climb often and you can climb literally everything.

But it's a shame that all the cool vaulting and poo poo missed Origins.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Lunethex posted:

Reading the reddit link: Syndicate had a very weighted parkour system, probably the "best" in the series, but I can't really say that. When you stopped being able to manually jump and get around faster by learning the quirks of the game, then it stopped being as engaging as it could be. Origins works just because you don't need to climb often and you can climb literally everything.

But it's a shame that all the cool vaulting and poo poo missed Origins.

If Syndicate had the best Parkour system, I never saw it. The Grappling hook made most of the climbing irrelevant.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

Carlosologist posted:

man this game is gonna be awesome if any of that leak is true

outrunning a volcanic eruption is gonna own so hard
They did that in rear end: Rogue, it wasn't that special.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm extremely down for this tour of the classical world trilogy. I just hope the quality won't dramatically drop off now that they aren't skipping a year.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Lollerich posted:

They did that in rear end: Rogue, it wasn't that special.

I dunno, I think Ubi has the benefit of the doubt now after what they’ve done with Origins. Rogue was smack dab in the middle of their annual releases so I feel Lisbon could have been done better, because you’re right it was pretty forgettable

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I played and liked that game and genuinely do not remember Lisbon or a volcano being in it

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Wasn't it in the very beginning, where the Assassin's removed the artifcact causing the land/area in it to be destroyed, which was basically the entire setup for your character?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

I played and liked that game and genuinely do not remember Lisbon or a volcano being in it

it was an earthquake.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1755_Lisbon_earthquake

it had a big effect on the world. it basically crippled the Portuguese as an empire and became a giant talking point in the enlightenment.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Screeeeeenshots!

Notables:

Docking your ship

Expanded inventory and customization

Partial map shot

Possible return of the wanted system in the bottom right(or a lovely tier based province liberation system ala FC5/GRW)?

Dialogue choices

Deakul fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 10, 2018

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Things I'm fine with:
- AC Odyssey essentially being Origins again, but in Greece this time instead of in Greek-colonized Egypt.
- Basically recycling the exact same UI, right down to the font.

Things I'm annoyed by:
- Now there are two "AC:O" games and not even context can help because they're going to be so similar.

Though what really stands out to me is docking an actual ship. I wonder if this is going to be not just AC Origins reskinned, but instead it'll have some Black Flag thrown in, with ship-based free roaming instead of just self-contained ship missions.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It'll have to be Black Flag-y, look at all that water!

Anyway, I'm surprised at the use of Athenians as antagonists--I thought this was set in the Roman era of Greek history.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'm so drat in. I hope Ubisoft learns from this and does like the intel think of taking the extra year to iterate and then going back to back with game refinements rather than just flooding.
But I am very excited about that inventory. Who doesn't want to play murder-witcher-man dress-up?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Harrow posted:

Things I'm fine with:
- AC Odyssey essentially being Origins again, but in Greece this time instead of in Greek-colonized Egypt.
- Basically recycling the exact same UI, right down to the font.

Things I'm annoyed by:
- Now there are two "AC:O" games and not even context can help because they're going to be so similar.

Though what really stands out to me is docking an actual ship. I wonder if this is going to be not just AC Origins reskinned, but instead it'll have some Black Flag thrown in, with ship-based free roaming instead of just self-contained ship missions.

Seems like it’s expands a ton on origins, gameplay and rpg wise along with adding black flag stuff. Also it seems to be adding a bunch from wildlands. Individual target in different regions all at once, faction stuff. Etc. either way day one.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Krazyface posted:

It'll have to be Black Flag-y, look at all that water!

Anyway, I'm surprised at the use of Athenians as antagonists--I thought this was set in the Roman era of Greek history.

That was one of the leaks. Who knows, maybe dual periods.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I suggest AC:Or and AC:Odd for naming shorthand.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

As long as I don’t have to learn how to spell odyssey

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Deakul posted:

Screeeeeenshots!

Notables:

Docking your ship

Partial map shot

Possible return of the wanted system in the bottom right(or a lovely tier based province liberation system ala FC5/GRW)?

Dialogue choices

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuck I am very down for this...

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm going with "Pyramids" and "Yogurt." Yogurt looks dope af.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Seems like it’s expands a ton on origins, gameplay and rpg wise along with adding black flag stuff. Also it seems to be adding a bunch from wildlands. Individual target in different regions all at once, faction stuff. Etc. either way day one.

Wildlands' 'every map region has a target you need to take out' was more AC than AC:O's 'every map region is like an MMO map region which may or may not contain some plot relevant stuff'. The inventory hunter/warrior/assassin damage distinction is more consciously reminiscent of Splinter Cell Blacklist's Assault/Ghost/Panther scores and is good if they're building gameplay around 'there should always be three viable ways to do this'.

All good and I'm sure I love it, but Ubisoft are forgetting more and more the magic that early AC's and GTA catch, which is that open-world games are immersive if they get the player to criss-cross the same location over and over again so that it becomes familiar. I don't want to ride over an area once, clear out the quests and never come back. I want to spend some time in a single location and try to achieve something there like a real person would.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Deakul posted:

Screeeeeenshots!

Notables:

Docking your ship

Partial map shot

Dialogue choices

Sweet. Just please, don't gate all those awesome loving armor options behind Helix Credits or multiplayer bullshit.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alchenar posted:

I don't want to ride over an area once, clear out the quests and never come back. I want to spend some time in a single location and try to achieve something there like a real person would.

It was also cool in the older GTAs and Assassin's Creeds when you would get to know an area well and that helped you evade the law. Nothing like those Vice City chases when you knew which corners and shortcuts to take.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Alter Ego posted:

Sweet. Just please, don't gate all those awesome loving armor options behind Helix Credits or multiplayer bullshit.

they havent done that since unity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

What’s the time period for this game? Because our leading man here looks sorta like Bayek