Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much money do you spend on this game?
This poll is closed.
Thar she blows ($300/mo.) 9 5.52%
We got our hooks in 'em ($100-$300/mo.) 11 6.75%
They's taking the bait! ($20-100/mo.) 25 15.34%
Toss 'em back in the sea. (F2P - $20/mo.) 118 72.39%
Total: 163 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I fed some tickets into the tank banner and now I don't need to enhance Mercenary Ramza anymore.

I need to enhance Wilhelm though.

:hf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

PaybackJack posted:

So no 5* ticket this month which I guess means they were too cheap to give out one during the anniversary event and from login rewards.

It’s better to have it as a bonus to the login rewards than what they did with Christmas which was make it so that the login rewards match the day the holidays and then give you jack poo poo in addition.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Got basics and gladio after a few roles at the tank banner. Set with counter and cover 7* tanks but really wanted Wil or Merc Ramza so now my first UoC will still be Wilhelmina probably

Double posting, how shameful

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
What was last years anniversary event?

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

hagie posted:

What was last years anniversary event?

https://exvius.gamepedia.com/1st_Year_Anniversary

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
A 70% Bedile ticket! Just what I needed!

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
I'm kinda confused here from the words about Ramza. If I put him and Basch together will one aoe cover physical hits while Basch covers magic? Or is there something different?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Only one of those can proc at a time not both.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Servaetes posted:

I'm kinda confused here from the words about Ramza. If I put him and Basch together will one aoe cover physical hits while Basch covers magic? Or is there something different?

You cant have both units aoe cover a type of damage. The moment one character comes in to block an aoe attack it prevents the other tank from leaping in and taking the other type of attack. Most encounters aren't built with both types of aoes, usually if they are you can mitigate one type of damage through other means or it just isn't lethal.

Ramza gets a slight bum rap because he has a passive cover which can trigger, causing him to guard the AoE tank which then fails to leap into the attack to defend the party resulting in a wipe. But do to how the game handles rolls you can have Ramza on spot 1 in your party and the aoe tank in slot 5 and the chances of ramza loving you up go down to original rainbow drop rate levels.

I'm actually very disappointed I pulled Gladio instead of merc ramza 2, even if gladio is a better cover tank. I'd rather have the versatility that he has

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
So my follow up is should I be using Ramza over Wilhelm with Basch for my two big fuckoff walls?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Servaetes posted:

So my follow up is should I be using Ramza over Wilhelm with Basch for my two big fuckoff walls?

If you have both and both types of tanks are needed then there is no reason to use Merc Ramza since they can do their respective niche better than Ramza. But, if you happen to get 2 merc ramza's then there is less need to use a UoC ticket to get Basch or Wilhelm to 7*

vvvv
They should hold over till 7* just to see what Gumi cooks up for them.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 1, 2018

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Star Ocean Animesis is coming out in English:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7Z9m31_v-c

We might get a Star Ocean collab yet!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Servaetes posted:

I can see how you're confused here but here's the deal:

M.Ramza has a passive cover skill which allows him to cover another party member from physical damage and take the damage for them.

Basch has two AOE cover skills which allow him to cover the entire party from either physical or magical damage.

Regardless of which skill Basch uses, there's a chance that M.Ramza's passive cover skill will go into effect first, and because only one cover skill can happen per enemy turn this means Basch won't be able to cover the AOE attack(regardless of which type Basch is trying to cover). This is why M.Ramza is a liability when used alongside an AOE cover tank.

This could be an issue in the 3* Esper fights, and even the new event dungeon that dropped today as that boss uses a ton of attacks both physical and magical in AOE and non-AOE form.

*Note, this has nothing to do with his provoke skill. It's just a negative interaction between his passive cover skill that you can't disable and AOE cover skills.

Servaetes posted:

There's no reason to use Ramza over Wilhelm for the purposes of being a tank. If you have two M.Ramzas and you don't have two Wilhelms, when 7* hits you'll be ok with M.Ramza in that role. Wilhelm would be better but probably not worth using a UoC ticket on.

This event also marked the first run of CG Lid as my full time breaker, decked out in LB gear. I was able to fire off her LB every second turn. Life is good.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 1, 2018

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
I just started this and managed to get Trance Terra with my starting pulls. Looks like she’s a really good chainer (which is what the OP recommends for newbies) but should I stick with her or try for something else?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Silvergun1000 posted:

I just started this and managed to get Trance Terra with my starting pulls. Looks like she’s a really good chainer (which is what the OP recommends for newbies) but should I stick with her or try for something else?

I have a reputation for telling people to reroll, but with the anniversary coming up you're going to have a guaranteed 5* along side probably a gifted 10+1 ticket if last year was anything to go by, so while Trance Terra is good, you could really hold out and try and pull a couple great units there.

Someone mentioned last time the topic of rerolling came up that Reddit has a thread for nice people who've already prerolled some great accounts, so it would be worth ducking your head in over there to see what one of those can offer you as you might find one that has Trance Terra AND another good 5* base.

Regarding Trance Terra herself:

Pros:
- She's arguably the best MAG attacker in the game currently.
- She can use swords and rods which makes gearing her easier.
- She's awesome at 7*.

Cons

- She's a MAG attack which is a bit harder to find a chaining partner for and just generally not as useful.
- Because she's a mage she's very fragile and you have to work to keep her alive.
- Requires enhancements which will be expensive both in gold and crysts.
- Event gear that will make her good will be harder to obtain than an ATK chainer

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Silvergun1000 posted:

Stick with her even though you are going to need to start collecting cryst to enhance her abilities. T.Terra is sort of a corner stone character when she got her abilities buffed, she was the first unit to get essentially W-Ability in the game and now thats a staple in the japanese 7* meta. Her 7* got quad casting and now THAT is a staple with mages. Even with stronger limited characters coming out T.Terra still competes with them damage wise.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Have to agree there. While TTerra is powerful she’s an incredibly hefty investment.

And seconding the reddit thing, if the accounts described here before represent what’s being given away then you would have to spend weeks rerolling or get incredibly lucky to match what they have for you.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Thanks guys! I’ll check out the Reddit thread and for now just keep on trucking with this account to get a feel for things. With the anniversary coming up soon, refilling then sounds like it wouldn’t be a big deal.

If I do wind up rerolling, what characters should I be aiming for?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Silvergun1000 posted:

Thanks guys! I’ll check out the Reddit thread and for now just keep on trucking with this account to get a feel for things. With the anniversary coming up soon, refilling then sounds like it wouldn’t be a big deal.

Don’t forget to join the discord:
https://discord.gg/Jx9b6Rt

Any of us there will gladly put up a carry friend unit, offer advice, or commiserate about the Bedile you just pulled.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

OK, the second chance for Cloud's Uniform is here. Anyone have a carry that can beat Air Buster in 10 rounds or less?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Silvergun1000 posted:

We're probably 2 months away from 7* so shooting for a character that's good at 7* is your best bet in which case T.Terra really isn't a bad choice other than the fact that you'll have a heck of a time getting her to the level that you'll be able to use her with other T.Terras and then nobody else.

I don't think Dark Veritas is a terrible character to look for. He has a TMR that will likely still see wide usage a year from now, lots of gear options, can be either DH or DW at 7* based on whatever else you pull. He won't hit as hard as other characters but he'll enable you to chain off a ton of friend units that will hit hard. He also won't require a ton of effort right now which helps. Basically get him to 6*100 and you can take your pick of any number or friend units to bring with you on missions and you'll cruise through them just because his chain will up their damage a lot.

Fryevia is very good with her enhancements and seeing a lot of use right now. Her best weapon is her own TMR. Downside is that we have no clue if she'll be any good at 7* or not(though indications are that she will as she seems primed to get w-ability which negates the need for DW).

One thing I haven't really seen people mention, which seems like a very newbie friendly idea, is to find an account that has rolled a Lightning and a Tidus. At 7* both of them can chain off each other and Tidus can do some fantastic damage in addition to having a huge imperil on his LB. The game gives you a free Lightning so you spend your first UoC ticket on another Tidus and *boom* you have a powerful chaining couple with a lot of gear options between them. It won't be super hard to find Tidus chaining partners either. Lightning isn't considered the best unit, but since the game gives you one and you're just starting out it's something to consider. 6 months from now once you've got your feet under you, you can start looking to double down on a banner and pick up someone else to replace as your DPS.

I'd definitely give some serious thought to just looking at rerolls that have two of the same unit.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Kheldarn posted:

OK, the second chance for Cloud's Uniform is here. Anyone have a carry that can beat Air Buster in 10 rounds or less?

I shared a Noctis that’ll do the trick. Just solo’d it in 6 turns for the ice materia because I just didn’t bother to get it last time apparently.

Use link to build up his LB if you get a chance on trash. Always use PBWS when you can, use lb when it’s up (and pbws is down) and use link for filler.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Silvergun1000 posted:

You could do a lot worse.

Many Goons, including myself, have Trance Terras.

Whenever you decide on what account you're keeping, post your friend code here for people that aren't on the Discord often.

Kheldarn posted:

Who do you have/need for chaining? I don't know about carry, mostly because I don't remember anything about that fight because I beat it pretty quickly the first time.

Sephiroth, maybe?

EDIT: probably beaten.

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
I just don't know what the hell to do about Shiva 3*. All the other 3*s so far have been very easily handled once i looked up a cursory strategy or whatnot, but Shiva's being a massive F2P killer here. I don't have a single Noctus to TMR, let alone two of them, since the game is really adamant that I never get him, and as such I can't PhysEvade any tanks enough to have them not just take 95% of the hits from Hailstrike anyway (causing them to die halfway through the first turn, and if I set up Reraise, cause them to die/res without cover and then everyone wipes). I can get, like, Chizuru up to 100% evade, but even the extremely slow "have evade Chizuru and Minfillia with Mirage/Great Raven Cape cheese the fight while hiding an Ifrit summoner" strategy will just suddenly not work, with Chiz taking a bunch of physical damage and Minfillia somehow not being able to avoid being targeted.

I also tried using a magic tank with a provoke tank for the physicals, but that was going even worse.

Like...what the hell? Why is main feature progression blocked by such an obnoxious wall?

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
It’s a lot of damage, but if you’re using a cover tank plus an atk break and a good defense buff it should be survivable - throw in a DR buff too if you have the option. Remember - even a 45% atk break is 70% damage reduction. That means you can survive 3 times as much damage with that alone.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

meteor9 posted:

I just don't know what the hell to do about Shiva 3*. All the other 3*s so far have been very easily handled once i looked up a cursory strategy or whatnot, but Shiva's being a massive F2P killer here. I don't have a single Noctus to TMR, let alone two of them, since the game is really adamant that I never get him, and as such I can't PhysEvade any tanks enough to have them not just take 95% of the hits from Hailstrike anyway (causing them to die halfway through the first turn, and if I set up Reraise, cause them to die/res without cover and then everyone wipes). I can get, like, Chizuru up to 100% evade, but even the extremely slow "have evade Chizuru and Minfillia with Mirage/Great Raven Cape cheese the fight while hiding an Ifrit summoner" strategy will just suddenly not work, with Chiz taking a bunch of physical damage and Minfillia somehow not being able to avoid being targeted.

I also tried using a magic tank with a provoke tank for the physicals, but that was going even worse.

Like...what the hell? Why is main feature progression blocked by such an obnoxious wall?

What in the world? You best be kidding.
Ask for an evasion tank friend.
Alternate the AoE Cover and Provoke.
Have 30% Ice resist on everyone.
Ice Resist Buff every 3 turns.
Dispel on threshold imperils.
There, you literally can't lose.

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

Trilin posted:

What in the world? You best be kidding.
Ask for an evasion tank friend.
Alternate the AoE Cover and Provoke.
Have 30% Ice resist on everyone.
Ice Resist Buff every 3 turns.
Dispel on threshold imperils.
There, you literally can't lose.

needing a carry is kinda what i mean about this being bullshit for levelling up a guaranteed in-game....thingy. I mean if someone just has one lying around, sure, I'll cave in on that. Because I can do literally everything else except pull Rings of Lucii out of my rear end.

Ugato posted:

It’s a lot of damage, but if you’re using a cover tank plus an atk break and a good defense buff it should be survivable - throw in a DR buff too if you have the option. Remember - even a 45% atk break is 70% damage reduction. That means you can survive 3 times as much damage with that alone.

Well, I got Orlandeau applying Crush Weapon +2, and Minfillia has the Pod mitigation move, so maybe i just need to dig out a better defense buff unless Min's is also good since CG Fina's doesn't seem to be cutting it, but goddammit this game needs to stop hiding all it's %s.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I can throw up a 100% dodge Warrior of Light then you can use his provoke on the turns he isn't dodge covering everything.

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

PaybackJack posted:

I can throw up a 100% dodge Warrior of Light then you can use his provoke on the turns he isn't dodge covering everything.

That would be pretty awesome, although I can't guarantee an immediate time frame on using it, kinda foolishly staying up far too late at the moment. But if you're cool leaving him up for like a day or so, you'd have my eternal gratitude.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

meteor9 posted:

That would be pretty awesome, although I can't guarantee an immediate time frame on using it, kinda foolishly staying up far too late at the moment. But if you're cool leaving him up for like a day or so, you'd have my eternal gratitude.

Warrior of Light 6★
Right hand: Kiyomori ATK+79
Left hand: Zodiac Escutcheon DEF+60, SPR+70
Head: Frozen Crown HP+500, DEF+16, SPR+50
Body: Ice Armor DEF+45
Accessory 1: Twenty-sided Die
Accessory 2: Ring of the Lucii ATK+30%, MAG+3, MAG+30%, SPR+3
Materia 1: Quick Assault ATK+30%
Materia 2: Quick Assault ATK+30%
Materia 3: Evade
Materia 4: True Spirit of Freedom ATK+20%
Esper: Shiva HP+58, MP+75, ATK+39, DEF+44, MAG+70, SPR+70
Total: HP:5564, MP:305, ATK:454, DEF:365, MAG:275, SPR:379

Dodge = 110% according to the calculator.
130% Ice Resist.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

I'll try to add you tomorrow, it seems adamant that your friend list is full and I'll just assume the game is a bit behind. Thank you again, however!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

meteor9 posted:

I'll try to add you tomorrow, it seems adamant that your friend list is full and I'll just assume the game is a bit behind. Thank you again, however!

I opened up three slots in case two others also want a dodge/provoke tank for Shiva 3*.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ugato posted:

I shared a Noctis that’ll do the trick. Just solo’d it in 6 turns for the ice materia because I just didn’t bother to get it last time apparently.

Use link to build up his LB if you get a chance on trash. Always use PBWS when you can, use lb when it’s up (and pbws is down) and use link for filler.

Took me 2 rounds. Thanks!

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

I've tossed up the Ice Bird ELT VoH carry again for a few people if anyone else in the thread needs. Toss me a friend invite at 752, 568, 277 if I don't have you yet.

Nothing too special to the carry, just go in with a full party and spam his reraise every turn as he slowly whittles the bird down with counters. Summon Ifrit when he is around 1-6% HP and it'll kill everything. There is a slight bit of RNG in the fight but it is a pretty solid way of full clearing it.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
You know, T4 crysts are nowhere near my Chilechoke point, it's the T1 crysts.

Maaaaaan it's slow going even with a full team of loot hunters.

\/\/\/ I'm stacking it, still...

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 3, 2018

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

You know, T4 crysts are nowhere near my Chile point, it's the T1 crysts.

Maaaaaan it's slow going even with a full team of loot hunters.

Someone did the testing, loot percents are very, very capped. the tl;dr is "Apparently both abilities stacks "Common Items Drop" & "Rare Items Drop". Rare Items seems to cap at 100% and looks like Common Items can go beyond 100% but, I don't see a real benefit in doing so, what you get from 50% to 100% is much better than what you get from 100% to 300%. Finally, if you combine both abilities you'll get a better drop in general."

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

PaybackJack posted:

I opened up three slots in case two others also want a dodge/provoke tank for Shiva 3*.

Aaaand she's finally down, thank christ. But mostly thank you!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

meteor9 posted:

Aaaand she's finally down, thank christ. But mostly thank you!

Awesome! 5 goons got added so hopefully whoever you lurkers are, you were able to knock it out too.

I'll leave the Ice Warrior of Lightspeed up for a few more days. I made another slot too in case anyone else missed the boat. (RIP NinjaD hopefully you'll come back for the DQ11 banner and try your luck again).

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Dragonturtle posted:

I've tossed up the Ice Bird ELT VoH carry again for a few people if anyone else in the thread needs. Toss me a friend invite at 752, 568, 277 if I don't have you yet.

Nothing too special to the carry, just go in with a full party and spam his reraise every turn as he slowly whittles the bird down with counters. Summon Ifrit when he is around 1-6% HP and it'll kill everything. There is a slight bit of RNG in the fight but it is a pretty solid way of full clearing it.

I beat the Ice Bird on the second attempt, but had a full party so I didn’t get the Hat Arts materia.

I tried again this morning, this time with my DPS(Orlandeau with that fire katana) at 135% ice resist, and Mystea at 155% ice resist...

I have to tell you, if it wasn’t for full dodge or other gimmick units, I’d have never been able to clear higher level content. You guys who put up these kinds of units are the real heroes. Poor Orlandeau and Mystea, they got splattered all over the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

Grats on the full clear! Frozen Hurricane is an incredibly good ability for arena and is totally worth dealing with that annoying bird a few times.

• Locked thread