Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

night slime posted:

Guess im not dumb like the guy who called me dumb for saying the show would be renewed. It turns out he is the dumb one.

lol look at this dumb guy who thought I called him dumb and totally misinterpreted my post. In fact we're both cool for watching Legion, so he's the dumb one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

unless I missed it, we still also need to figure out the memory fragments David had at the beginning of the season. We know/can surmise what happened at the nightclub, but what's the relevance of the tree-covered rooftop downtown?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

night slime posted:

Guess im not dumb like the guy who called me dumb for saying the show would be renewed. It turns out he is the dumb one.

rude to doxx me like this

night slime
May 14, 2014

Chadzok posted:

lol look at this dumb guy who thought I called him dumb and totally misinterpreted my post. In fact we're both cool for watching Legion, so he's the dumb one.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Gobbeldygook posted:

I doubt they'll do that, but I think there's a real chance of further time travel fuckery retconning the whole season. Remember what Kerry said when he was examining the orb:

KERRY: It's advanced, but but not Shi'ar. That was my first guess, as well. No. I can't shake the feeling that somehow I constructed it, this-this orb. Believe me, I know how that sounds, yes.

So at some point in the future Kerry built the orb, sent it back in time to right after Farouk ran off in Oliver's body, captured David, and then held him in the orb for a year before dumping him out somewhere with no memory of the preceding year. Future Kerry's presumed goal is to stop the world from ending and figured this was the best way to do so. So, what if he was wrong?

If the Orb took David through time he could have been gone five minutes (from his perspective) and simply returned one year later.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

pile of brown posted:

I love how everyone has their own spelling, mine is Cary/Carrie and I'm not going to look at IMDb ever

I've been streaming this in lovely quality and it really does it a disservice, I can't wait to buy it in HD when the season's done

Gobbeldygook posted:

I doubt they'll do that, but I think there's a real chance of further time travel fuckery retconning the whole season. Remember what Kerry said when he was examining the orb:

KERRY: It's advanced, but but not Shi'ar. That was my first guess, as well. No. I can't shake the feeling that somehow I constructed it, this-this orb. Believe me, I know how that sounds, yes.

So at some point in the future Kerry built the orb, sent it back in time to right after Farouk ran off in Oliver's body, captured David, and then held him in the orb for a year before dumping him out somewhere with no memory of the preceding year. Future Kerry's presumed goal is to stop the world from ending and figured this was the best way to do so. So, what if he was wrong?

The old white guy is Cary. The young Native woman is Kerry.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Henchman of Santa posted:

The old white guy is Cary. The young Native woman is Kerry.

She’s native so it’s like Kah’ Ree.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

night slime posted:

He will make you vomit.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I hope Syd isn't going for this poo poo.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
:siren: Title drop :siren:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Come on, Syd. Punch her lights out.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yay, Kerry got to kick to some butt!

Uh, for a little bit at least.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

wuuuuuuuuuuuut

e: stuff actually happened!

night slime
May 14, 2014
Funny to imagine Farouk's best friend is a minotaur that he ruled over wherever with. They really got owned by Professor X.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm not even sure how to talk about that episode. It was good. Stuff happened. Pretty lights. Sinister sounds.

(What did Syd think she was doing, punching that Minotaur? She's not a fighter. SWAP BODIES..)

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
boo

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
My bullshit not-ending senses are tingling for this season and it's not a good feeling.

Although at this point I'm pretty chill with King David and Queen Cannibal Lenny as long as they let both Carries live. We could do a lot worse.

e: Honestly something about this episode made Syd seem really hypocritical to me. "Love is what we fight to save! God loves the sinners! WAIT poo poo NO NOT THAT MUCH HE DOESN'T LOVE US THAT MUCH"

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 6, 2018

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Im willing to chalk up Syd's turn to Farouk just being that good at loving with people. Dude single handedly drove david insane, outright abducted people's minds, and stole their bodies. Magnifying Syd's own insecurities about her relationship with David should be child's play for him, especially when he is wearing the face of a trusted friend.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I know weird poo poo happens on the daily in this show but it bothers me how unrealistically the characters react to things.

Oh there’s s giant drain plug. Oh Melanie just hooked my hand and dragged me down, I’m totally not gonna ask her “What the gently caress?!” Etc...
I feel like the giant floating hands, the drain plug, all maybe point to some kind of evidence of this being a delusion or playing out in someone’s head (but may still be “real” somehow?)

Some if it just feels a little cartoony in tone.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

AnEdgelord posted:

Im willing to chalk up Syd's turn to Farouk just being that good at loving with people. Dude single handedly drove david insane, outright abducted people's minds, and stole their bodies. Magnifying Syd's own insecurities about her relationship with David should be child's play for him, especially when he is wearing the face of a trusted friend.

Fair. As a dude with mental illness I just want David to be ok and not turn out to be a stereotypical murdery crazypants :ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Syd's reactions to Melanie came across as drugged/sluggish, like she'd been put on medication or otherwise been impaired and was struggling to operate mentally/put things together. I think that was deliberate, especially the way Melanie got in close/was brushing her hair towards the end, she was basically having her head hosed with on a subconscious level beneath the surface level of what Melanie (Farouk) was telling her. You could see there were points she was trying to say something didn't make sense or to ask a question about something more relevant than *relationship drama* but she couldn't quite get there. By the time Melanie left her, she was completely caught up in the spell and was just sitting there watching whatever the screens were showing, and had stopped asking the very relevant question of "How am I being shown these things?" that she asked Melanie multiple times initially.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Now we know how he got the budget for another episode: by making half of this episode a loving clip show.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Gotta say, not enjoying that we seem to be going straight into closed time-loop territory. I really hope David's going to be okay :ohdear:

edit:

https://twitter.com/LegionFX/status/1002623712888147968

david's not going to be fine, is he :ohdear: :ohdear:

double nine fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 6, 2018

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Syd in general has been really weird and emotionless for a while now, to the point where her screams when she got hauled off were super unnerving because it’s the most feeling she’s shown all season.

Also Cary’s reactions to all this poo poo going down around him are priceless. “We can fix Oliver! Probably!”

night slime
May 14, 2014
Old Season 1 promo I stumbled upon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l0JbndoRwg

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i really liked the short shot of future david with his hair straight up on his throne of bones

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

that one is apparently lifted straight from the comics. This shocks me not at all.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Running through the underground maze looked remarkably similar to the layout of Division 3.
:thunk:

night slime
May 14, 2014

Pussy Quipped posted:

Running through the underground maze looked remarkably similar to the layout of Division 3.

The first thing the narrator says is the desert is fake :thunk:

quote:

There is a maze in the desert carved from sand and rock. A vast labyrinth of pathways and corridors a hundred miles long, a thousand miles wide, full of twists and dead ends. Picture it... a puzzle. You walk, and at the end of this maze is a prize just waiting to be discovered. All you have to do is find your way through. Can you see the maze? Its walls and floors, its twists and turns? Good, because the maze you've created in your mind is itself the maze. There is no desert, no rock or sand. There is only the idea of it. But it's an idea that will come to dominate your every waking and sleeping moment. You're inside the maze now. You cannot escape. Welcome to madness.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

night slime posted:

The first thing the narrator says is the desert is fake :thunk:

This whole thing is going to end up being the maze the monk trapped David in when they found him in the chair and I am never going to stop laughing.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I could watch Cary making comedy fleeing noises all day.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Chokes McGee posted:

This whole thing is going to end up being the maze the monk trapped David in when they found him in the chair and I am never going to stop laughing.

i thought the monk had a rather abrupt end, bonus if that all of it is still real because david's power is so strong he was trapped in the maze in real life

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I honestly don't know where the show is going and that's one of my favourite things about it. I agree there's been a pretty liberal use of flashbacks but it hasn't felt egregious yet. Part of me hopes that Melanie has some agency in the end and isn't a complete puppet but I think I'd be fine is that's the case. I really liked the cold open of future David on his throne, definitely felt like something pulled from the comics. Aubrey Plaza continues to kill it and I'm so glad she's corporeal again, I loved the "big payback" line.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

I know weird poo poo happens on the daily in this show but it bothers me how unrealistically the characters react to things.

Oh there’s s giant drain plug. Oh Melanie just hooked my hand and dragged me down, I’m totally not gonna ask her “What the gently caress?!” Etc...
I feel like the giant floating hands, the drain plug, all maybe point to some kind of evidence of this being a delusion or playing out in someone’s head (but may still be “real” somehow?)

Some if it just feels a little cartoony in tone.

This has to be on purpose. Not one person thought the giant plug hole was weird.

Syd said nothing and just helped the rabbit.

Either all this stuff including the other weird poo poo like no one caring about a giant delusion monster climbing out of their friend is going to have a payoff, an explanation for the dreamlike quality of most episodes, or its going to be a giant misstep and be really disappointing.

Pussy Quipped posted:

Yeah I noticed that. Think how many times we've seen those same winding corridors. They really wanted us to feel this way. I'm going to be so disappointing if any of this stuff is played straight. This has to be mindfuckery on a giant scale.

It almost feels like the show wanted us to become complacent. When it started we found everything weird. It had to be fake right? Something is up. Why is the staff restaurant like that? Why is there now a oil bird monster delusion? Why is Melony allowed to have a room full of drugs? Why is there a cow? Who? What? Eh?????

And then 5 episodes in people were arguing that everything is literally happening and that's what the twist is. That things are really happening. It's like locking someone in an empty room and waiting for them to go mad. We were that desperate for reason and grounding that we just decided all the crazy poo poo was fine. And we end up at the point where people think Syd actually did just go to the roof of division 3, hop on a passing jet and then jump out. Into a desert that isn't real.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 7, 2018

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

People taking the insane poo poo totally in stride is the David Lynchest part of the show and I'm good with it.

Weirdly though this was probably the first episode of the season that didn't do much for me. I'm having trouble buying the performance of David's sadistic side.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

People taking the insane poo poo totally in stride is the David Lynchest part of the show and I'm good with it.

Weirdly though this was probably the first episode of the season that didn't do much for me. I'm having trouble buying the performance of David's sadistic side.

This was my issue, the "heel turn" potential just doesn't feel good to me. Like the hints are that David is not all mentally there, but the hints don't really point to "kill everyone in the world evil". That's just a jump too far. If they had shown him getting flippant and careless with his powers as he progressively used them more and more and with bigger and bigger strengths, I could buy it. However, as it is David turning evil feels as unconvincing as Farouk's manipulations of Syd. I can buy Syd believing it because Farouk was definitely loving with her head, but it doesn't work on the viewers.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
y'all fell into the trap farouk set -- he isn't that person yet but he's absolutely being pushed in that direction and syd losing her faith in him is what's being built to be one of the things that pushes him over the edge

like we saw in the alternate reality episodes, I think farouk might want to go right back to controlling david, too

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I could be wrong but I’m just gonna flippantly throw this out there... have we seen ANY “civilians” in any episode this season (That wasn’t clearly part of a flashback or alt timeline?)

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Feenix posted:

I could be wrong but I’m just gonna flippantly throw this out there... have we seen ANY “civilians” in any episode this season (That wasn’t clearly part of a flashback or alt timeline?)

there were the people lenny held an orgy with as well as the patrons in the chinese restaurant last episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Feenix posted:

Lenny's friends and they were pretty great