Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Blazing Ownager posted:

I mean sure, I've seen lots of TV finales where lots of people die. I've never seen one where they did everything possible to gently caress all of humanity, but 5 stars.

The Others (the show, not the movie) did something similar: A group of psychics spends one season battling some evil power and then in the final episode every single one of them is killed. Then the show was cancelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Blazing Ownager posted:

ED: Alternate theory is that everything in a Federation food replicator is perfectly balanced for nutrition value at the expense of everything else (like taste) and sometimes you just want loving junk food. I could absolutely see a replicator denying your heart attack quadruple bacon burger request.

The replicators wouldn't make wine or anything with real alcohol in it, just synthehol that wouldn't let you actually lose control.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

MrUnderbridge posted:

I know this was from the last page, but...

The reference to Wagon Train was about how by being on a ship they would be able to go to new places and meet different people and new situations every week, which was that shows stories worked. Unlike, say, Gunsmoke where you had the same setting all the time.

Roddenberry wasn't talking about it as "gunslingers in space", he was describing the huge number and variety of potential stories to TV execs in terms they would get.

Although they did have a literal wild west episode (but it was an illusion by aliens!). Third season, ugh. Right up there with Space Hippies and Kirk Becomes a Girl!

The producers for the new Battlestar Galactica made a conscious effect to avoid what they called 'Alien of the week', but which could be described as Wagon Train in space in favor of a more linear storyline.

That worked for about 3 seasons and then holy poo poo it went off the rails.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Krispy Wafer posted:

The producers for the new Battlestar Galactica made a conscious effect to avoid what they called 'Alien of the week', but which could be described as Wagon Train in space in favor of a more linear storyline.

That worked for about 3 seasons and then holy poo poo it went off the rails.

The original BSG was totally Wagon Train in Space, though. At least half the story-lines could easily fit in a Western show.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
Some moreso than others.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Blazing Ownager posted:

I mean sure, I've seen lots of TV finales where lots of people die. I've never seen one where they did everything possible to gently caress all of humanity, but 5 stars.

Even through it was a kid show, the final episode of Mighty Max ends with all the sidekicks and allies dying to the villain, with the hero entering into a time loop at the end to hopefully get it right the next time.

Also the ending of Dinosaur with them getting the ice age caused by the father company.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Which DS9 e0 was the 9/11 one?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The show finished in 1999, so none.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rirse posted:

Even through it was a kid show, the final episode of Mighty Max ends with all the sidekicks and allies dying to the villain, with the hero entering into a time loop at the end to hopefully get it right the next time.

That show was metal as gently caress

For those that don't know, the bad guy in question was named Skullmaster and voiced by Tim Curry

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Toshimo posted:

Which DS9 e0 was the 9/11 one?

Enterprise was the one with a 9/11 ep/arc.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Blazing Ownager posted:

ED: Speaking of that, the DS9 9/11 episode a year before 9/11 is an interesting "Did it age well?" one. Because if you don't realize it was a year before it seems like a heavy handed episode jumping on a band wagon, but if you do realize it, it's uncanny about a lot of the political climate afterward. Seriously show that episode to people who know nothing about it and every single one will assume it was written after 9/11.

And for bonus points, unlike the real 9/11, this one WAS an inside job!

I was specifically asking about this one, but maybe I'm the one that is dumb and wrong.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I reckon they're talking about the "Homefront" / "Paradise Lost" two-part story from 1996, where Earth is put under martial law after the Founders are suspected of killing some Federation folks in a terrorist attack.

Source of Sisko's "Paradise never looked so heavily armed" line, if I recall correctly.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Volcott posted:

Enterprise was the one with a 9/11 ep/arc.

Did they do the old thing where they say like, "it was as heinous an act as The Rape of Nanking, 9/11, or the K'thal Romulan Expulsion."

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Did they do the old thing where they say like, "it was as heinous an act as The Rape of Nanking, 9/11, or the K'thal Romulan Expulsion."

No aliens blew up florida with a laser.

Time aliens. May have hated us for our freedoms.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Volcott posted:

No aliens blew up florida with a laser.

Time aliens. May have hated us for our freedoms.

Jokes on them, nothing of value was lost :smuggo:

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Don Gato posted:

Jokes on them, nothing of value was lost :smuggo:

But then who will throw gators through drive through windows?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Blazing Ownager posted:

I think it's implied the tech is there but the programmers suck is why.

Like you tell it to replicate Hamburger. Now, you could be getting a gourmet hamburger that's absolutely perfect and juicy, or you could get a McDonalds dollar menu item. If the dipshit who made the program likes McDonalds, there you go.

Then they mass produce the things so every hamburger you ever eat tastes like a McDonalds hamburger. After a few years even a Burger King hamburger would seem like the best loving thing ever.

ED: Alternate theory is that everything in a Federation food replicator is perfectly balanced for nutrition value at the expense of everything else (like taste) and sometimes you just want loving junk food. I could absolutely see a replicator denying your heart attack quadruple bacon burger request.

There's a lot of nuances to food and the replicator can only make the things it's been programmed to make. So for "hamburger" the program is probably some lowest-common-denominator thing like that or what the programmer things more will enjoy than won't. But if you make one for yourself or a family member makes one for you or if you get one at a restaurant there are specifics. There are restaurants who serve hamburgers you like better than other ones. For better or worse you have a preference. The replicated one would be indistinguishable from whatever hamburger they used to program "replicated hamburger" but you lose a lot of possible variations that way.

When it comes to storing information on how to recreate something on a molecular level that's an absolute gently caress ton of information. The implication was always that there just wasn't enough techie time or information storage to store absolutely every possible variation because they are still just computers. So if you eat replicated hamburgers you're eating basically the same hamburger every time. Which would be fine but people like variety. Burgers made the old fashioned way never really come out exactly the same way every time but the replicated one does.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

evobatman posted:

The replicators wouldn't make wine or anything with real alcohol in it, just synthehol that wouldn't let you actually lose control.

So what's the loving point of synthehol then?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It reminds you of being drunk. It's an echo of an echo of the real thing. Like Solo: A Star Wars story.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mu Zeta posted:

It reminds you of being drunk. It's an echo of an echo of the real thing.

It's a simuliquorum.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I reckon they're talking about the "Homefront" / "Paradise Lost" two-part story from 1996, where Earth is put under martial law after the Founders are suspected of killing some Federation folks in a terrorist attack.

Source of Sisko's "Paradise never looked so heavily armed" line, if I recall correctly.

The two separate Star Trek conversations can converge now because those episodes also prominently featured Sisko's dad and his Cajun restaurant.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

evobatman posted:

Untrue.

Up The Long Ladder posted:

WORF: You can obtain spirituous liquours from the food dispensers.
DANILO: Oh, no, no, no. It's not that synthehol bilge that O'Brien offered me, is it?
WORF: No, if you wish, it can be real alcohol.
DANILO: Good.
WORF: With all of the deleterious effects intact.
DANILO: As it should be

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Star Trek was really a lot more inconsistent about things like that than people usually think

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Alhazred posted:

The Others (the show, not the movie) did something similar: A group of psychics spends one season battling some evil power and then in the final episode every single one of them is killed. Then the show was cancelled.

I lhad completely forgotten about that show. Speaking of which,

One time my ex was watching Deadbeat about a dude who comically helps ghosts much to his chagrin.

And that resurrected memories of an early WB Show called Deadlast, which was kind of the same thing, but the dude was in a band. So I looked it up.

Same dude in both shows! He was also the stoner guy in the X-Files and in Tucker and Dale vs Evil.

Kind of blew my mind

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
He was also in Reaper, where he helped his buddy (who worked for the Devil) capture escaped demons.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Ziv Zulander posted:

Star Trek was really a lot more inconsistent about things like that than people usually think

Maybe, but not for this. I don't think anything explicitly contradicted this.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Leavemywife posted:

He was also in Reaper, where he helped his buddy (who worked for the Devil) capture escaped demons.

And in Sons of Tucson! I always forget about that guy, but he always seems to be funny in everything. No matter how stupid the show.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Leavemywife posted:

God I miss that show. drat writers strike.

Apparently he and the buddy appeared in some tv show I can't remember the name of recently in their reaper characters

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

I thought a replicator could make pretty much anything, but the patterns for CAT DRUGS weren't preloaded on federation models. So if you wanted hooch, or hemlock, you had to upload it yourself.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Len posted:

God I miss that show. drat writers strike.

Apparently he and the buddy appeared in some tv show I can't remember the name of recently in their reaper characters

That's "Kevin (Probably) Saves the World", a "mission from God"-type show starring Dipper Pines.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

I just totally ready Worf's dialogue in Michael Dorn's voice and it made me ridiculously happy.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Rirse posted:

Also the ending of Dinosaur with them getting the ice age caused by the father company.

I think it was because it was canceled, but Shadow Raiders ends the same way it began: With a planet being devoured by The Beast. In the end, nothing the protagonists did could harm it and all they could do was flee - and not even all of them.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

The other replicators you see on the Star Trek shows were on the Enterprise or Voyager. For all that the Federation makes their ships pleasure liners with guns, they likely only had synthol programmed so no one could actually get drunk on ship.

I really feel that the Federation is way more advanced than their peers on the Galactic stage. and intentionally build just good enough to match any of similar sized warships, then use excess space for massive crew quarters, space magic, and holo entertainment that can hijack the ship, but we let kids use it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Samuringa posted:

I think it was because it was canceled, but Shadow Raiders ends the same way it began: With a planet being devoured by The Beast. In the end, nothing the protagonists did could harm it and all they could do was flee - and not even all of them.

That's the one where the ending is basically just them managing to teleport the Beast far, far away, so that it won't be an issue again in their lifetimes, but since it's basically a meaner Galactus...

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's the one where the ending is basically just them managing to teleport the Beast far, far away, so that it won't be an issue again in their lifetimes, but since it's basically a meaner Galactus...

I think they also reached a point where it was just impossible to actually deal with it - how much more can you do after someone rams a planet inside it and then detonate it, without leaving a dent?

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

winterwerefox posted:

The other replicators you see on the Star Trek shows were on the Enterprise or Voyager. For all that the Federation makes their ships pleasure liners with guns, they likely only had synthol programmed so no one could actually get drunk on ship.

I really feel that the Federation is way more advanced than their peers on the Galactic stage. and intentionally build just good enough to match any of similar sized warships, then use excess space for massive crew quarters, space magic, and holo entertainment that can hijack the ship, but we let kids use it.

That Worf quote is from TNG and the Voyager ep with the bodyswapping alien showed them replicating real booze on that ship too. It's available, future humans probably just don't want hangovers and liver damage. Plus, you know, being caught blackout drunk when your home randomly goes to red alert all the time probably ain't good...

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Our local nerd con had him booked as a guest, some people complained saying they felt he should not be booked given some of the things he's said about the LGBTQ community. I guess there's a fair amount of crossover with nerds and LGBTQ where I live, which isn't surprising given how many people I know who are both. plus a lot of folks have no tolerance for such stuff Anyways, I guess he was told to not come after all, TMZ of all places picked it up and asked him for comment, and he claimed the event's organizers were impugning his freedom of speech. Evidently, Mr. Sorbo seems to think Freedom of Speech means Freedom from Consequences, and that's not how that works. TMZ picking it up is a bit weird because the con is northwest Ontario in a town of 100K, and I don't even think it made our local papers or TV news.

His replacement was Nana Visitor, who played Kira on DS9. I don't even care for Star Trek but that sounds like a trade up to me.

When I was in middle school I was at a con and I got food poisoning and threw up right in the middle of the floor. Nana Visitor took me to a back room and found me a ginger ale. I can't picture Kevin Sorbo doing that so you guys definitely won out in the end.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mondian posted:

Plus, you know, being caught blackout drunk when your home randomly goes to red alert all the time probably ain't good...
Sure, if you're on call. If you're non-essential crew or a civilian then it's probably an advantage. You're not getting in the way if you're passed out in your quarters.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think Janeway being drunk could make things worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

winterwerefox posted:

The Defiant in DS9 is a good example of this. It's essentially some big engines attached to even bigger guns protected by shields and a prototype cloak. It's one of the smallest ships in the fleet, but can fly circles around much larger ships and blast them to pieces; it also skips all of the usual Federation amenities. The ship runs on a barebones crew that sleeps on bunks in the main hallway and only the captain has some small personal quarters. There's no holodeck, science labs, or families and civilians being tugged along into a warzone. If you want to hang out with friends or spend your days killing and/or loving everything in the holodeck you need to complete your mission so you can go back to port. It was a nice change of pace from the luxury yachts with guns vibe that the TNG-era ships have.

Of course, Worf being a Klingon weeaboo, lives on it by himself even when it is docked and just listens to Klingon opera at deafening volume while staring at the blank metal walls.