Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Schadenboner posted:

So I don't know fuckall about ~*.AdTeCh.*~ but is "% of site visitors with AdBlock" an included metric to prospective advertisers?

I can't imagine anyone advertising on, for example, most tech-news (like: tech-news for IT people, I mean) because no one will ever see it.

my guess is there are some employers that disable addons in their builds so somewhere there is a captive audience of bored tech workers being forced to view ads on the company dime

not at my company, of course, but somewhere. well, maybe at mine, most people just assume they cant and dont try

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lmao literal ted faro poo poo

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
lol at the implication that there is any meaningful difference between 'doing contracts for the US military' and 'being a nationalistic defense contractor'

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

lol at the implication that there is any meaningful difference between 'doing contracts for the US military' and 'being a nationalistic defense contractor'

Well, Google would sell out the U.S. to China in a heartbeat so I don't know about "nationalistic"?

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
actual shooting wars between large, wealthy countries do not align with the interests of multinational corporations. but actual shooting wars with small, poor countries...

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Schadenboner posted:

Well, Google would sell out the U.S. to China in a heartbeat so I don't know about "nationalistic"?

google has pretty much been excluded from China for refusing to comply with many of their government demands. theres plenty of stuff to go after google about, this is not one of them.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

we use G Suite at work and it's mostly fine but they recently rolled out this Meet thing as an eventual replacement for hangouts I guess? the problem is meet only shares your screen at 720p apparently, while hangouts would do pretty good at any resolution, so now if somebody presents a window bigger than 1280x720 it rescales the image into something unreadable. we're back to using hangouts if we're going to screen-share.

the original reason we tried to transition to meet is that it allows telephone dial-in, many people seem to be frightened and confused by the idea of a link you click to join a video call.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Pham Nuwen posted:

we use G Suite at work and it's mostly fine but they recently rolled out this Meet thing as an eventual replacement for hangouts I guess? the problem is meet only shares your screen at 720p apparently, while hangouts would do pretty good at any resolution, so now if somebody presents a window bigger than 1280x720 it rescales the image into something unreadable. we're back to using hangouts if we're going to screen-share.

the original reason we tried to transition to meet is that it allows telephone dial-in, many people seem to be frightened and confused by the idea of a link you click to join a video call.

Wish your posting was presented only in a window bigger than 1280x720 during a Google Meet session (so we could not read them because your posts are not very good).

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Schadenboner posted:

Wish your posting was presented only in a window bigger than 1280x720 during a Google Meet session (so we could not read them because your posts are not very good).

wish your posts were a screenshare and this was an audio only call :mmmhmm:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Agile Vector posted:

wish your posts were a screenshare and this was an audio only call :mmmhmm:

Too far, bro.

:mad:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I dont wish your posting on anyone

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Pham Nuwen posted:

more proof that there is literally no adult supervision at google. why reuse the software and improve it when you can just write a new one from scratch that is bad and missing years of feature development?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Management posted:

bad and missing years of feature development

dsyp

Slack Motherfucker
Aug 16, 2005

Pillbug

The Management posted:

more proof that there is literally no adult supervision at google. why reuse the software and improve it when you can just write a new one from scratch that is bad and missing years of feature development?

i work at the kirkland office where hangouts / meet stuff happens and i just want you to know that while this seems really stupid from the outside, it is also in fact really stupid from the inside as well

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slgt skal flge slgters gang

thx for the confirmation, it excludes some of the more esoteric explanations (google intends to blanket the earth in chat protocols; google aspires for a guinness world record in most active users abandoned in company lifetime; etc)

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Pham Nuwen posted:

we use G Suite at work

condolences.

Slack Motherfucker posted:

i work at the kirkland office where hangouts / meet stuff happens and i just want you to know that while this seems really stupid from the outside, it is also in fact really stupid from the inside as well

so you're saying it's the microsoft ex-pats to blame. figures.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Krankenstyle posted:

thx for the confirmation, it excludes some of the more esoteric explanations (google intends to blanket the earth in chat protocols; google aspires for a guinness world record in most active users abandoned in company lifetime; etc)

I thought it was that launching a new product is way better for the business owner's career than improving an existing one

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

please gather some selected posts from this thread, print them out, and paste them over the urinals at your office

Slack Motherfucker
Aug 16, 2005

Pillbug

qirex posted:

I thought it was that launching a new product is way better for the business owner's career than improving an existing one

we're trying to fix that but it turns out that fixing it is harder than just saying "okay everyone product quality is our top priority" while not changing any incentive systems at all to reflect this in our lived reality, so we're all out of ideas

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the only way in my experience to avoid this trap is to incentivize the poo poo out of product managers staying put, continuity and long term vision are impossible when everyone on the product team is 100% focused on hitting the next ladder rung in the next 12-24 months

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Management posted:

please gather some selected posts from this thread, print them out, and paste them over the urinals at your office

Please do the needful.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Pham Nuwen posted:

we use G Suite at work

as a cj for the C-level, G suite turns every meltdown into a hold my beer (its a startup after all) I got this

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

we're trying to fix that but it turns out that fixing it is harder than just saying "okay everyone product quality is our top priority" while not changing any incentive systems at all to reflect this in our lived reality, so we're all out of ideas

its actually super easy: dont launch a product unless you can enumerate in so many ways how it is different from existing products

& obvs if its like 4 ways, just put the new features in the old product jfc

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Diane Green or one of her direct reports is managed out in the next 6-12 months over this drone bullshit. They managed to take a "throw some sales engineering at the dod to grease the fedramp runway" play into a colossal pr fuckup, got caught lying to employees about it like 3 different times (including memory hole-ing docs they left company-wide readable once people found them), are now forced to pretend like they didn't want that murder drone money all along, and aren't even going to get a big revenue win, because the people writing govt contracts are just gonna go with a contractor where the help doesn't ask so many questions about 'ethics'.

Like vic g got handed his additional family time notice, and all he did was build a social network no one wanted (and they still salvaged a good photos product out of it).

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Pham Nuwen posted:

i'll look in to it but rest assured there's no resolution limit. It even works with retina macbooks. In the meantime try firefox i just launched it this month.

also i'm pretty sure that i've explained several times how we got where we did wet mutliple chat apps. tldr blame nick fox.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Hank Scorpio was a conscientious employer who honestly cared about (and for) his employees which puts him drastically at odds with Google and "Tech" generally. Hth?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

also afaict he burns a bunch of soldiers which is basically the only proper reaction

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Krankenstyle posted:

also afaict he burns a bunch of soldiers which is basically the only proper reaction

when was the last time you saw a ceo get down in the trenches with the grunts? thats leadership

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Schadenboner posted:

Hank Scorpio was a conscientious employer who honestly cared about (and for) his employees which puts him drastically at odds with Google and "Tech" generally. Hth?

I don't see any ballpits in his lair

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I don't see any ballpits in his lair

he did have hammocks though

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Agile Vector posted:

when was the last time you saw a ceo get down in the trenches with the grunts? thats leadership

Hank Scorpio got actual work out of Homer Simpson. That's leadership.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
goog did something good!

https://techcrunch.com/2018/06/01/google-quits-selling-tablets/

Google  has quietly crept out of the tablet business, removing the “tablets” heading from its Android page

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

goog did something good!

https://techcrunch.com/2018/06/01/google-quits-selling-tablets/

Googlehas quietly crept out of the tablet business, removing the tablets heading from its Android page

watches are next

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

Google  has quietly crept out of the tablet business, removing the “tablets” heading from its Android page

This seems more like an exercise in re branding if they're now only in the "Chrome OS tablet" business instead of the "Android table" business. Eagerly awaiting the release of the "Allo tablet".

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Disregard, the Android tablets section is back up

https://twitter.com/lockheimer/status/1003122415742771200

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

the only way in my experience to avoid this trap is to incentivize the poo poo out of product managers staying put, continuity and long term vision are impossible when everyone on the product team is 100% focused on hitting the next ladder rung in the next 12-24 months

it's almost like financial firms understand that they can only maintain a laser focus on clients by compensating tech people based on a laser focus on clients

who could have anticipated that technology people would respond to financial incentives

it must be that banks are stupid and techies only really understand options on illiquid stock that cannot be valued or sold

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

sounds reasonable. i hear wells fargo developed some very interesting employee incentive programs.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Fiedler posted:

sounds reasonable. i hear wells fargo developed some very interesting employee incentive programs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Fiedler posted:

• Locked thread