Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Croccers posted:

And with Netrunner as well too! Apparently it's still going ok?

They did a big old shakeup with the Core set to cull the regressive strats and staple cards, but I'd bailed on it before then. It still looks to have life in it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

twistedmentat posted:

Oh wait there was a Marvel CCG too, called Overpower.

Oh man, I almost think I had some of these - not that I had any idea how to play it or anyone to play with. My brother and I were really into the DBZ one for about six seconds though. Just long enough to pick up our favourite characters from ebay from what were most likely stupidly inflated prices.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Randaconda posted:

I remember Blood Wars shipping with like half the rules missing. Late era TSR was a loving mess.

I still have somewhere closing in on 1000 cards and something like 7-8 sealed starter decks. I buy one from eBay occasionally when I feel nostalgic for that stupid game. The only one I had to play with was my brother, and we played it a lot. We didn't care about the limits for combat strenght, so our hands we played against each other ended up being ridiculous.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I haven't been in a few years but it's long been a staple of Gencon/Origins that there's a booth just selling old dead card games. Somewhere at my dad's house I have a loving shitload of .hack//enemy cards that I got for like $3 a booster box and the logic was "hey I like .hack why not"

Also a bunch of Spy Craft.

WoW TCG.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

The 90s had a ton of random IP CCGs. Monty Python, and Doctor Who (pre revival) are the two that stand out to me as "really?"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Wacky Delly posted:

The 90s had a ton of random IP CCGs. Monty Python, and Doctor Who (pre revival) are the two that stand out to me as "really?"

The weird thing was that the Monty Python and the Holy Grail game was apparently very good but also extraordinarily ridiculous. The Dr. Who one was a steaming pile of rancid poo poo.

The thing with the CCG craze is that most of them were not very good. Just blatant cash ins on the bandwagon. Entirely too many of them were apparently horribly balanced or badly designed to the point that certain cards were basically just "I win" cards or were totally mandatory to have in absolutely every deck. Other ones were ridiculously gimmicky and not fun at all once the novelty of the gimmick wore off.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

We had two preconstructed decks of Wyvern that either my dad never learned how to play or didn't bother to really teach me the rules but we would sit down and play and I remember it being good fun.

He even let me add in the two random rear end MTG cards we got from a comic book and come up with rules for them. Good times

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Randaconda posted:

I remember Blood Wars shipping with like half the rules missing. Late era TSR was a loving mess.
Spellfire was my favorite example of "Let's Cash In On New Popular Thing" -- a card game produced by TSR with 100% pre-existing art that they already owned, printed on terrible quality cardstock and with a rulebook that was cobbled together seemingly after they had printed all of the cards where the designers just tried to make up something to do with them. I, of course, owned hundreds of booster packs worth because it was Magic only made by the D&D guys! It had to be great.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I have some starter d3cks somewhere from the broken mess that was WHEEL OF TIME. Played a lot of the Highlander ccg way back when.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The weird thing was that the Monty Python and the Holy Grail game was apparently very good but also extraordinarily ridiculous. The Dr. Who one was a steaming pile of rancid poo poo.

The thing with the CCG craze is that most of them were not very good. Just blatant cash ins on the bandwagon. Entirely too many of them were apparently horribly balanced or badly designed to the point that certain cards were basically just "I win" cards or were totally mandatory to have in absolutely every deck. Other ones were ridiculously gimmicky and not fun at all once the novelty of the gimmick wore off.

The monty python game was fun as hell when you a little dork sprout.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Plavski posted:

I remember Inquest magazine used to have free cards and each issues came with 4 or 5 cards from whichever new CCG arrived on the market that month, so I'd end up with loads of singles of random poo poo like Battletech, XXXenophile and L5R. I tried to get into the Shadowrun CCG, but it died pretty soon after launch if I remember right. I had the Netrunner box too, but I think everyone had that. God, the 90's was a golden era for CCG's. We're doing well now again thanks to the LCG system, but I'll always remember the 90's most fondly for its card games.

Inquest is some extremely 90s poo poo; remember how they had price guides to cards in the back? Had some pretty good covers too

I had a subscription to them til around the time they changed to "InQuest Gamer" and added video game coverage because like everyone else I had gotten worn out on CCGs. I seem remember they once put in a comically oversized Chaos Orb card in as their free card for an April issue.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Randaconda posted:

Jihad/Vampire: The Eternal Struggle was good. Illuminati was good too, and Steve Jackson Games was like the only company that saw the crash coming and pulled out early and din't get burned.

Yea i played a lot of Jihad and Illuminati in high school with my nerd friends after magic got "too big". I sold almost all my magic cards for nearly 800bux way back then and used the credit to buy a ton of games workshop stuff. The worst part is that a handful of the cards I had are worth that alone now. Oh well, I still have the Leman Russ I got then.

I actually think I still my illuminati cards around here. I get back into magic every few years, but last time I had a LCS that was doing Friday Night Magic for a long time that I could go to, so it was worthwhile. Though a bigger store that was more dedicated to Magic opened up and took all our try hards. I keep meaning to take my stuff down to one of the big stores downtown and see if I can turn it into Great Western Trail or another board game I want to get. What is crazy is how popular Pokemon has recently become. Even before Go the CCG was blowing up. Though I laugh at how YuGiOh is now the shittear game, with its players being the worst people you can meet outside of competitive Smash Bros.

I remember when Duelest had the first promo card, that issue went like crazy.

The only thing I can think of that was comparable was the early 2000s having tons of clicks games. Mage Knight was pretty popular and I remember there being Star Wars and Star Trek ones, Battletech and others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjilAAhp8NI
The lastest Videogame Historian video is pretty apt for this thread. How dysfunctional was Sega to have its two main branches so at odds? It also makes me wonder, did we actually care about how many bits a system had or were we just buying into the hype and we really just cared about fun games?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I very much want to read this book.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twistedmentat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjilAAhp8NI
The lastest Videogame Historian video is pretty apt for this thread. How dysfunctional was Sega to have its two main branches so at odds? It also makes me wonder, did we actually care about how many bits a system had or were we just buying into the hype and we really just cared about fun games?

I think the arguing between Sega of Japan and Sega of America foreshadowed the arguing later between both the same two branches of Nintendo and Sony. Sony actually listened to their American branch about stuff that Americans like. Judging by sales of every Nintendo home console since the SNES barring the Wii, which was a fad, Nintendo still hasn't. (unless the Switch is some sort of mega-success, which is totally possible)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah the Switch is a huge success in the US. It's the fastest selling console of all time here.

The funniest thing with the Nintendo of Japan vs USA was when they first released the NES in America the controller cords were like 2 ft long. It's because people in Japan live in small apartments and play right near the TV.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 11:02 on Jun 3, 2018

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Isn't that the case with the NES Classic now?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Randaconda posted:

I think the arguing between Sega of Japan and Sega of America foreshadowed the arguing later between both the same two branches of Nintendo and Sony. Sony actually listened to their American branch about stuff that Americans like. Judging by sales of every Nintendo home console since the SNES barring the Wii, which was a fad, Nintendo still hasn't. (unless the Switch is some sort of mega-success, which is totally possible)

The Switch is already a success, and if they can keep production up and keep putting out games people want (though I laugh at the idea that there are people who wanted to play Skyrim and Dark Souls but only buy nintendo consoles so they haven't) it will probably be the second best console of this generation after the Ps4. I know something that hurt me with Nintendo is that after the SNES their advertising very clearly focused on kids. teens and people in their 20s are not going to be enticed by Pokemon and Animal Crossing, no matter how good they are, when Sony is showing off Symphony of the Night, Tekken and Final Fantasy VII.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twistedmentat posted:

The Switch is already a success, and if they can keep production up and keep putting out games people want (though I laugh at the idea that there are people who wanted to play Skyrim and Dark Souls but only buy nintendo consoles so they haven't) it will probably be the second best console of this generation after the Ps4. I know something that hurt me with Nintendo is that after the SNES their advertising very clearly focused on kids. teens and people in their 20s are not going to be enticed by Pokemon and Animal Crossing, no matter how good they are, when Sony is showing off Symphony of the Night, Tekken and Final Fantasy VII.

In hindsight, sticking with cartridges for the N64 was a huge mistake. The N64 really struggled with any good third party games, and the first person offerings all tended to aim at a younger audience.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, what was the figure on Final Fantasy VII - it was two discs on the PS1 but would've needed something like 10 N64 cartridges?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah, what was the figure on Final Fantasy VII - it was two discs on the PS1 but would've needed something like 10 N64 cartridges?

And that was a fairly early gen PS1 game. Imagine trying to shove Chrono Cross (terrible game, but it's pretty) on the N64.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Pookah posted:

I very much want to read this book.

I have it on semi-solid authority that the dog is at no point in the book described as wearing shades.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

twistedmentat posted:

I dunno. I know a lot of 20 somethings that bought a 3ds as soon as the pokemon of that generation came out. Nostalgia is a helluva drug.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Len posted:

I dunno. I know a lot of 20 somethings that bought a 3ds as soon as the pokemon of that generation came out. Nostalgia is a helluva drug.

20 year olds in the late 90s didn't care when they were new. They were clearly games aimed at younger kids. Nothing makes something less cool when you're a teen/early 20s than something your little brother is into.

I understand why people in their 20s today go nuts for Pokemon for nostalgia.

Randaconda posted:

In hindsight, sticking with cartridges for the N64 was a huge mistake. The N64 really struggled with any good third party games, and the first person offerings all tended to aim at a younger audience.

And the worst controller ever. Even the Jaguar had a better controller than the n64. The engineer to designed it must of had a 3rd arm. Sonly just slapped to analog sticks on its existing controller and was much more successful.

twistedmentat has a new favorite as of 20:37 on Jun 3, 2018

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twistedmentat posted:

20 year olds in the late 90s didn't care when they were new. They were clearly games aimed at younger kids. Nothing makes something less cool when you're a teen/early 20s than something your little brother is into.

I understand why people in their 20s today go nuts for Pokemon for nostalgia.

And the worst controller ever. Even the Jaguar had a better controller than the n64. The engineer to designed it must of had a 3rd arm. Sonly just slapped to analog sticks on its existing controller and was much more successful.

Yeah, that's when Nintendo started not giving a poo poo about what people wanted for a while, I think. Between the N64 and yet another failure by Sega, PS1 basically had no competition at all.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Slam dunk, thank you for the nostalgia fix!

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Randaconda posted:

Yeah, that's when Nintendo started not giving a poo poo about what people wanted for a while, I think. Between the N64 and yet another failure by Sega, PS1 basically had no competition at all.

To be fair to them, they had basically won the console wars by an insane margin for ten years up to that point so I can see where they got their arrogance.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
The Switch is a really solid little console, too. It's got some really good stuff and I like the battery life on it. I'm not crazy about the tiny cards they have for the games, but I picked up Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 yesterday and I've had a blast with it. It really helps I can just set it down at any time, and that I don't need the TV to use it; I can play it while my wife is watching TV or a movie and we both still get to do what we want.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

It was 3 discs on PS1, so would've been a chunk of cart space for sure.

The real reason Sony won was that it cost pennies to make a CD while it cost a massive load of cash to make a cartridge. You could have a warehouse full of unsold CDs and it would't cost much at all, but a warehouse full of unsold cartridges would be a huge, crippling expense. So PlayStation games could be pushed out constantly without much fear of financial ruin. They also didn't need to go through much approval or anything, hence the shovelware fad. But it meant that the PS1 had a much larger library compared to the N64 and that really counted when coming to buy a console. And with the games being made for pennies, they were often way cheaper.

So really, it was the media that dictated the war in that console generation, unlike in most others. Though arguably the failure of the GameCube was a similar thing - people bought XBOX's and PS2's for the DVD player as much as the games so the GCN failed in that regard big time.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'd imagine the lack of RPGs on the N64 didn't help, either. The PS1 had a ton of them, including Final Fantasy 7, which really pushed it over.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

I have to vehemently disagree. I'm not super into the 64 controller, but it was responsive and works well for the games that take advantage of it. For example, their flagship game Mario 64 really had a great control scheme, and though it didn't come out here, Sin and Punishment was super smooth. It comes down purely to opinion here, but I'd rather take the 64 controller compared to the abomination that was the Jaguar one.

However, I totally concede that I might be the only person alive that actually liked the wonky N64 controller.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

DicktheCat posted:

However, I totally concede that I might be the only person alive that actually liked the wonky N64 controller.

Nah, I thought it was pretty good for what it was and that the controller was well-suited for games like Turok (D-pad for fwd/rev and strafing, analog stick for looking/turning, Z for shooting and L for jumping). Sony ended up improving the concept, sure, but maybe they should have thought of it in the first place.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Leavemywife posted:

I'd imagine the lack of RPGs on the N64 didn't help, either. The PS1 had a ton of them, including Final Fantasy 7, which really pushed it over.

I've seen a number of people when talking about Retro Games mention how before FF7 we in North America really didn't see or know the scope of Japanese games, then it comes out and people were blown away. I feel like it was the primary system seller and made Final Fantasy and the entire RPG genre a major one on consoles.

I pity any Castlevania fans who kept with Nintendo and got the N64s terrible entries.

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
but n64 castlevania loving owned.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only game I had the N64 controller really worked well for was No Mercy. (still the best wrasslin' game ever)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I hated those games because they made wrestling look so slow and clunky. Why can't I hit a guy with a chair while he's getting up?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Plavski posted:

So really, it was the media that dictated the war in that console generation, unlike in most others. Though arguably the failure of the GameCube was a similar thing - people bought XBOX's and PS2's for the DVD player as much as the games so the GCN failed in that regard big time.

I've heard quite a few people say their PS2 was their first DVD player, come to think of it.

Of course, even when Nintendo finally bowed to the inevitable and switched to discs, GameCube discs were still smaller than the CDs PlayStation and Xbox games were on.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

burial posted:

I have it on semi-solid authority that the dog is at no point in the book described as wearing shades.

Aww...

:saddowns:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've heard quite a few people say their PS2 was their first DVD player, come to think of it.

Of course, even when Nintendo finally bowed to the inevitable and switched to discs, GameCube discs were still smaller than the CDs PlayStation and Xbox games were on.

Yeah, the PS2 was my first DVD player and I only really played PS1 final fantasy games on it. The lack of DVD player on the GameCube was really unappealing (that and the weak library) and I only picked one up as my second console after I got an XBOX, having sold my PS2 for lack of use. That whole "single media system in the house" approach was very successful for Sony and Microsoft. Hell, the PS1 was a CD player too and I know people for whom it was their only one.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plavski posted:

Yeah, the PS2 was my first DVD player and I only really played PS1 final fantasy games on it. The lack of DVD player on the GameCube was really unappealing (that and the weak library) and I only picked one up as my second console after I got an XBOX, having sold my PS2 for lack of use. That whole "single media system in the house" approach was very successful for Sony and Microsoft. Hell, the PS1 was a CD player too and I know people for whom it was their only one.

Some audio nerds still use PS1s as their cd player of choice, for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

DicktheCat posted:

I have to vehemently disagree. I'm not super into the 64 controller, but it was responsive and works well for the games that take advantage of it. For example, their flagship game Mario 64 really had a great control scheme, and though it didn't come out here, Sin and Punishment was super smooth. It comes down purely to opinion here, but I'd rather take the 64 controller compared to the abomination that was the Jaguar one.

I liked it fine but I was around 10 so I just liked all videogames.