Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Zuul the Cat posted:

It’s super thin. My eyes are just tired and my hand was a bit shakey. It’s alright, I’ll fix it tomorrow with Macragge Blue.

I was thinking of doing a glaze of Guilliman blue once I was done to smooth it. I think Drakenhof Nightshade would be too dark.

A good trick to beat shaky hand is to use the side (not the tip) of the brush and let the edges of the model take the paint.

Another way to do it is my way, which used to be called "painterly highlighting" where I apply kind of cartoony large highlights of a very slightly lighter shade, then an edge/spot of lighter paint again. It will make you guys look like cartoon characters but I love it. This will mask mistakes and let you just go hog wild with bits over the top of the knee/shoulder pads. Just slosh on the slightly lighter shade then hit it with a little dot of light blue for a sweet highlight effect and less trouble than imitating the GW book's outline every single panel thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Booyah- posted:

It was probably llor, yeah, he posted his awesome GI scheme and I copied it for 15mm dudes.

It came out awesome in 15mm, those dudes look sweet as hell!

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Ilor posted:

It came out awesome in 15mm, those dudes look sweet as hell!

Thanks! I have a rifleman sprue that I need to do up but I have too many projects. I love how fast they are to paint though, now I just need similar schemes for the germans, brits, and soviets.

Speaking of, are there any good places for painting guides for historicals? Seeing other people's recipes would be a good start.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Booyah- posted:

Speaking of, are there any good places for painting guides for historicals? Seeing other people's recipes would be a good start.
Artizan Designs put out a number of different guides on their website. My recipe was based on theirs, with a few minor changes here and there. You can find them all here:

https://www.artizandesigns.com/painting-guides.php

My DAK recipe is quite different from theirs, though. I went with a much more rag-tag look. It is of note that they don't have a good guide for non-desert Italians (the next platoon I'll be working on). That seems to be one that not a lot of people have tackled. If I come up with something that looks right, I'll post it.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Got a couple of Death Company with thunder hammers/hammer Captains done:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Corrode posted:

Got a couple of Death Company with thunder hammers/hammer Captains done:

Them's some purdy jumpy hammer bois.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
Spent a couple hours getting 5 Necron Immortals sprayed, Leadbelcher'd, and Nuln Oil'd last night. I'm hoping to have them done over the long weekend.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
I painted a big yellow flying brick.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Managed to brute-force some areas of fuzzy undercoat on my vanguard with a million layers of paint so I'm back on track with that squad getting finished, started basecoating my neutron crab too but thats going to take a while and I'm really wishing I'd though to get some zandri dust spray before starting. Once I get these done I'm back onto marines since my entry's paid for and i need to get all nice and dolled up before I go to bristol to get ruined.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Booley posted:

I painted a big yellow flying brick.

That's loving gorgeous. Those things are my favorite model and I really wish they fit Primaris. I might buy one anyway I love them so much.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Cross-postin from the Oath thread, Rainbow Coalition of Murder is donezo.

Mikey Purp posted:

Oath Complete

Claiming Straight Edge for that crap rear end checker pattern on the shin guard, and Take One for the Team for the warband theme.

Just bought some space marines which should be here by Monday...looking forward to painting up some more Bloody BoysAngels.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Schadenboner posted:

Them's some purdy jumpy hammer bois.

Thanks buddy. Now I need to find time to get them on the table. #toomanyarmies

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

dexefiend posted:

Slowly making progress!

I also did the edge highlighting a couple nights ago, and primed the cannon barrels last night.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

dexefiend posted:

I also did the edge highlighting a couple nights ago, and primed the cannon barrels last night.

The depth on the color here looks fantastic. Really like the shield emblem too.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Twin Volcano Cannons - fresh from a Forge World.

Han Feizi
Jul 20, 2014
Does anyone else struggle with paralyzing fear of screwing up a model? I’ve been painting for a little while now and I just realized I have very few completed minis. I get 75-80% done and stop. The final touches terrify me. I guess I better just suck it up and put some edge highlights on this guy.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Han Feizi posted:

Does anyone else struggle with paralyzing fear of screwing up a model? I’ve been painting for a little while now and I just realized I have very few completed minis. I get 75-80% done and stop. The final touches terrify me. I guess I better just suck it up and put some edge highlights on this guy.

Suck it up and varnish. You'll feel better. Trust me.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
Making progress on the Immortals from forgebane. Basecoat and 3 successive washes and drybrushes, to give them that Extremely Aged Metal look.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Han Feizi posted:

I'm pretty much the opposite, I leave some of my nicer models sitting on the shelf just assembled/primed for ages because I feel like I'm not good enough to paint them yet. Basecoating is my least favorite part but once I finish that I tend to get going pretty well.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm pretty much the opposite, I leave some of my nicer models sitting on the shelf just assembled/primed for ages because I feel like I'm not good enough to paint them yet. Basecoating is my least favorite part but once I finish that I tend to get going pretty well.

Fulgrim is primed sitting in my living room (the only model in there) and he just accusingly yells at me for paint, but after I botched Eidolon a little due to him being a bad testing recast I can't muster the strength to paint him despite my wolves starting to look hyper good. I tolerate mistakes on troops and stuff because they blend in with the unit, characters freak me out.

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.
Had to rush to finish my GK Apothecary before a game last week; the lighting/angle is sort of screwing with the tilting plate here and I could have spent more time detailing but I consider it acceptable. To differentiate between Paladins and regular Terminators I went with gold and base grey, respectively; this figure was basecoated from the last edition when Apothecaries were part of a Paladin unit so I just kept the gold.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Finished everything on the Intercessors except the decals and varnish. I should be able to do that tomorrow and work on the Watch Master. My goal is to have him done this week so I can start working on Knights once the codex drops. It will be nice to paint something a little different.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

This is why I can't get anything done. I've spent loving three days on these

JBP fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jun 2, 2018

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Noice. You'll get faster as your muscle memory builds and you figure out a work flow.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

adamantium|wang posted:

Noice. You'll get faster as your muscle memory builds and you figure out a work flow.

Yeah I'm doing my hellblasters now and it's a much easier mental process (also I wrote down a process to follow).

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

JBP posted:

They look really cool though so time well spent

melonfish
Apr 13, 2016

The original Dunning-Kruger test subject.

JBP posted:

time bloody well spent! they look fab.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Just primed my Aggressors in black. These motherfuckers look great on black!

I am painting my Aggressors in tribute to the Howling Griffons who got owned in the Badab War in their Night World camo.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

dexefiend posted:

Just primed my Aggressors in black. These motherfuckers look great on black!

I am painting my Aggressors in tribute to the Howling Griffons who got owned in the Badab War in their Night World camo.

I'm excited to do a howling griffon as deathwatch, which will be very similar.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Decals are the best.

And so is the camera on my new phone.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
That grenade launcher is dope.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Decals are the best.

And so is the camera on my new phone.

Owns. Lots of great stuff ITT recently.

My month long company is gone and I have my hobby room aka the spare bedroom back. Busting out BaC today, and hosed up a sergeant’s pistol and made a new barrel out of a 40k flamer. This look all right?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Shadin posted:

Owns. Lots of great stuff ITT recently.

My month long company is gone and I have my hobby room aka the spare bedroom back. Busting out BaC today, and hosed up a sergeant’s pistol and made a new barrel out of a 40k flamer. This look all right?

Fill in the slots with green stuff and it could look like a really nice silencer.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Not as good as the Farstriders that were just posted here, but I'm proud of them anyway.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Not as good as the Farstriders that were just posted here, but I'm proud of them anyway.

These are cool, what have you done to get that blue metal? Would be sweet on a fancy sword.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

JBP posted:

These are cool, what have you done to get that blue metal? Would be sweet on a fancy sword.

Vallejo Metal Color silver mixed with a few drops of Liquitex green-blue ink. I just mixed a bunch of it and kept it in a sealed container.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Working on DW #2, this time a non-Primaris.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Vallejo Metal Color silver mixed with a few drops of Liquitex green-blue ink. I just mixed a bunch of it and kept it in a sealed container.

What ratio? That's a gorgeous color. Glad to see lots of folks using Liquitex. I wish I had thought of pre-mixing purple and silver because I suspect the result would be great and take less time than what I do now.

Decals are drying. Once I varnish I'll have 5 Intercessors done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Been in a serious painting slump for a while now, and having to spend two of the hottest weeks of the last month with no AC didn't help any. However, AC is up and running now and I'm hoping that will in turn revive my interest in painting up some minis here before long.