Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Have a video of Duncan gushing about Knights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL5th4GVWAE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

JBP posted:

Xpost because I've spent loving ages on these and every photo reveals more gently caress ups. Only another 14 to go loving :negative:

They look like I want them to look though so it's not a waste!
These are literally the only baby-blue Wolves I've seen that I've liked. All those ages you're spending are clearly worth it - the individual markings look fantastic!

Basing is one of the most important parts of a mini. Did you share what your plans are, or did I miss it?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Serotonin and I played a game today, Ad Mech vs. Ad Mech. He wanted to try out his 1500pt list for our store tournament, and I wanted to get my Ad Mech on the table for once, so we agreed on ROBOT WARS.

My list was a TPD, 2 Enginseers, 10 Rangers with 3 arquebuses, 7 Rangers with an arc rifle which I've only just realised should have been 7 dudes and not 5, woops, 2x Vanguards with double plas, 3 Dragoons in a unit, 4 robots, and two Dunecrawlers with Neutron Lasers.
He had a TPD, an Enginseer, Skitarii in combinations I can't remember (2x Vanguard 2x Rangers I think?), 3 Kataphron Destroyers, a Dragoon, a Dunecrawler, two robots, and two Armigers.

We were both using Stygies VIII.

The tournament uses Dawn of War deployment and Maelstrom missions, so we rolled and got Targets of Opportunity. I got the +1 and for once in my life got first turn, and he failed to seize; we then rolled off again to alternate our infiltrators. After deployment and Stygies infiltraVIIIs the board looked like this:

Kastelan Robots guarding the hill

On my turn 1 the Dragoons shot up the flank to charge at his infiltrating Kastelans, and a unit of Vanguard went with them to cap the objective there. The Tech Priest who was blocking infiltrates in my back corner moved up and hid behind the robots and basically stopped existing for the rest of the game.

My opening shooting was pretty lackluster. I took 4 wounds off his Dragoon on my right flank, put the Dunecrawler down to 4-5 wounds, and killed a few Rangers. I tried a sneaky Warlord kill with the infiltrated Rangers, but then despite hitting on 2s they rolled like poo poo and achieved nothing.

My Dragoons charged into the Kastelans and with the stratagem did 24 hits off 9 attacks (!), 17 wounds, and only 10 damage wtf. Instead of politely letting me trap the 2-wound robot he instead chose to auto-explode his own guy, which put 2 wounds on one of my Dragoons and finished the remaining 2 on his own robot, freeing up the Dragoons to be shot at. I finished on 3pts.

Dragoons advance after battering the Kastelans

Vanguard cower out of line of sight behind this TV screen, which is definitely not showing art from Infinity

His turn 1 he healed the Dunecrawler back up to full (!), advanced the Dragoon and the Armigers, and stretched a unit of Vanguard back to claim objective 6 in his back corner. His infantry absolutely battered my big unit of Rangers, and an Armiger annihilated a Kastelan with a big 6 damage (after a Command re-roll). His newly refreshed Dunecrawler shot my Dunecrawler back and wounded it, but didn't kill it. Of all bloody things the Skitarii Vanguard on his right flank shot at my Dragoons and killed one - he rolled double 6s for the damage which on their guns makes them D2, and then I failed both saves so a centuries-old perpetual motion war engine fell over after being hit with bloody lasguns. The Dragoon tried to charge my small Ranger unit and cheekily consolidate into the Kastelans, but failed to kill the Skitarii dudes, who then punched him to death. It was not a good game for Dragoons. He scored 2pts, and I scored a further 2 for defending objective 4 after my single Skitarii Alpha left on the roof used the Morale strat to auto-pass.

Armigers on the march

My 2 was pretty comical. I killed nothing at all with shooting which meant I amazingly managed not to score Overwhelming Firepower. I also didn't kill either Armiger, leaving one on 2 wounds, and therefore didn't get Big Game Hunter. At least I healed my Dunecrawler. At this point we've done about 15 wounds to each other's Dunecrawlers, and healed 11.

The Dragoons pushed up and took out his Enginseer and a squad of Vanguard and tagged his Dunecrawler. I scored no points at all.

Dragoons pushed through the left flank, seen here after the Dunecrawler had bravely run away away

On his 2 the Armigers ran forward again. The broken one stumbled towards the Kastelans, while the healthy one aimed straight at my TPD. His shooting was even worse than mine - he killed the Dragoons, but only just, and then the Armigers did sweet gently caress all against the Kastelans. He then tried to charge the broken one in and tie them up, and I got 12 hits on overwatch and dropped him.

Armigers in my lines

The other one charged the TPD and predictably beat him to death with a giant chainsword. He tied up some Vanguard, who got a nice flourish of hits which went nowhere.

Giant robot stamping on smaller robots

He scored 2 pts again bringing us to 5-4.

The following turns were a comedy of errors. In my 3 I put 13/14 wounds on the last Armiger and failed to kill it, so I also failed to get No Prisoners. I had to tie it up by charging it with Skitarii Rangers. He killed 2 of the 4, I failed Morale and killed another, but the Alpha hung on in there. In his turn he stayed in combat since he had few other options, put one wound on the Alpha to at least killed the squad, and then out came the big 6 on bionics to keep him alive. HERO. Otherwise his 3 was as poor as mine was, and the game descended into farce. Iat I killed the remaining Armiger and put a bunch more wounds on his Dunecrawler, and somewhere in there the Kastelans managed to paste some Skitarii. He healed his Dunecrawler back and put wounds on my Dunecrawler. I healed those back and then failed to harm his Dunecrawler at all. This happened for the rest of the game until finally on turn 7 one my crawlers managed to kill his, the first dead one of the game. I think it ended up having an effective 28 wounds. At one point he tried to Advance (the Maelstrom card) out of his deployment zone with it, which was working great until we remembered they only advance D3" and it stumbled forwards to be an inch short of escaping the DZ. We picked up a couple more points each, until the following picture which I think is about turn 5:

At the end of turn 5 it was 6-5 to me. We went on to 6, and it went to 9-7. He pulled out Area Denial, and finally killed my Alpha who'd been hiding on a roof all game, and the 3 Vanguard who'd foolishly pushed into the middle of the board. The game-winning D3 came out rolled... a 1. At that point it was 9-8. Turn 7 came up, I finally killed the Dunecrawler which exploded and wounded the TPD, and with everything to play for my second crawler fired at his TPD, the last model on the board. Hits. Wounds. Automatic 3 damage, needs a 4 to kill him. Rolls a 1.

There's never been a more tense card draw than his turn 7. Luckily (from my point of view) he drew a fat nothing, and the game ended with his single TPD hiding on the far side of the board.

One shot... no kill.

A really fun, close game, with a ton of crazy swings backwards and forwards, and some really aggressive early play followed up by lots of cagey manoeuvering to try and preserve what was left and pick up scarce points. We've played two games now and both times they've gone this way. Overall we had 3 D3-point objectives, 2 for me and 1 for him, and scored 3pts total from them. All could have gone differently on a couple of key rolls, and I thought for sure we were going to draw at one point.

Great opponent, great game, A++ would play again.

++ VICTORY FOR THE OMNISSIAH ++ HERETEKS PURGED +++

Living Image fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 2, 2018

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I really love reading battle reports when people put so much effort into writing them. Sounds like a really fun match too.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Yeah cheers Corrode, great report and a really fun game. If it was Robot Wars, for most of the game it was two C3 POs flailing at each other with limp celery sticks

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

The shop didn’t have any of the cool Necron stuff so instead I picked up a box of Immortals and the Start Collecting box because the good value. Anyway here’s my WIPs:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Pendent posted:

I really love reading battle reports when people put so much effort into writing them. Sounds like a really fun match too.

Thanks! I actually managed to take a bunch of decent pictures of a close game for once, so a good write-up seemed the least it deserved.

Serotonin posted:

Yeah cheers Corrode, great report and a really fun game. If it was Robot Wars, for most of the game it was two C3 POs flailing at each other with limp celery sticks

This is a disturbingly accurate image.

panascope posted:

The shop didn’t have any of the cool Necron stuff so instead I picked up a box of Immortals and the Start Collecting box because the good value. Anyway here’s my WIPs:

Nice skellies.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Corrode posted:

Thanks! I actually managed to take a bunch of decent pictures of a close game for once, so a good write-up seemed the least it deserved.

It was really good. Thanks for putting it together.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Does anyone know of somewhere I could get a full set of repulsor plates? Every bits store I can find is either sold out or just doesn't carry those specific bits.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

OhDearGodNo posted:

Does anyone know of somewhere I could get a full set of repulsor plates? Every bits store I can find is either sold out or just doesn't carry those specific bits.

Scavenge eBay for the worst painted Repulsor you can find?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Zenithal white over black primer, airbrushed yellow

Hand painted all chitin areas dark brown ughhh

Hand layered sloppy to less sloppy highlights on 30 guys hnnngggg

Wrist status - crunchy

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Pretty.

Make 60 more.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Pretty.

Make 60 more.

Here is my "60 more." My 60 Intercessors.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

BuffaloChicken posted:

These are literally the only baby-blue Wolves I've seen that I've liked. All those ages you're spending are clearly worth it - the individual markings look fantastic!

Basing is one of the most important parts of a mini. Did you share what your plans are, or did I miss it?

Thanks man! I like the baby blues, but I also like space wolves being the odd man out cartoon characters of 40k which rankles some hams.

I'm going to do the cork board slate and snow type bases, these guys are held down with only a tiny bit of glue so I can break them off easily. I want them to have a classic 2nd edition kind of feel. Also I bought Grimnar on his Santa sleigh and it actually owns.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Anyone have a guide on getting a good lighting and background setup?

All I have is an ancient Cybershot DSC-W55 from like 2007 (my phone is a generic android POS) so there's only so much I can do to improve my pictures but I'd like to do something to help with it, preferably on the cheap.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 2, 2018

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

Anyone have a guide on getting a good lighting and background setup?

All I have is an ancient Cybershot DSC-W55 from like 2007 (my phone is a generic android POS) so there's only so much I can do to improve my pictures but I'd like to do something to help with it, preferably on the cheap.

If you want a black background, get it as far as possible from your minis and use some foamcore to block whatever lights you're using away from hitting the background. If you want a white background, then add an extra light that only lights it.

Here's your camera manual in case you've lost it: https://docs.sony.com/release//DSC-W35_W55_Handbook.pdf

You'll want to use some sort of tripod or a bag of sand/rice to set the camera on, and use the self timer. The best mode on your camera to shoot in is probably P. Set the metering mode to probably spot (page 35), and then use the EV adjust to tweak exposure (page 28). You want the ISO set as low as possible.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

I assumed they'd be bigger than a normal knight :/

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I don't really like the fat gun deck knights. The extra guns and stuff make them look kind of weird, I can't quite put my finger on it.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Booley posted:

If you want a black background, get it as far as possible from your minis and use some foamcore to block whatever lights you're using away from hitting the background. If you want a white background, then add an extra light that only lights it.

Here's your camera manual in case you've lost it: https://docs.sony.com/release//DSC-W35_W55_Handbook.pdf

You'll want to use some sort of tripod or a bag of sand/rice to set the camera on, and use the self timer. The best mode on your camera to shoot in is probably P. Set the metering mode to probably spot (page 35), and then use the EV adjust to tweak exposure (page 28). You want the ISO set as low as possible.

That's a way more detailed explanation than I was expecting, thank you. What kind of lighting setups do people use?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

I don't really like the fat gun deck knights. The extra guns and stuff make them look kind of weird, I can't quite put my finger on it.

They just scream tiny Warlord Titan to me which I absolutely adore. I can definitely see how all the protrusions would turn someone off though.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

chutche2 posted:

That's a way more detailed explanation than I was expecting, thank you. What kind of lighting setups do people use?

This guide should be very helpful.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Pendent posted:

They just scream tiny Warlord Titan to me which I absolutely adore. I can definitely see how all the protrusions would turn someone off though.

I think it's that I like the actual models, but some of the gun placements look like a random CAD placement more than something thought out by a designer. It's not the guns (I agree tiny warlord owns) but the way they're positioned and integrated into the model tbh

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

I think it's that I like the actual models, but some of the gun placements look like a random CAD placement more than something thought out by a designer. It's not the guns (I agree tiny warlord owns) but the way they're positioned and integrated into the model tbh

When I really look at it I feel like the melta mounts and the center carapace mount are probably the ones that seem off which I think I do agree with.

Overall I am really into the Castellan though, more so than I have been for a model release in quite a while. The miniature Warlord thing really does it for me.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

JBP posted:

The AA battery on top was bolted on to the original knight kit which is why it looks so out of place.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This guide should be very helpful.

That's perfect.

I don't have any lamps with bulbs, I just have LED ones. So I'll get some tracing paper to put over them.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Any Deathwatch players unsatisfied with the performance of your Corvus Blackstar?

It's great to be able to move 12 units or 9-10 with room for a vanguard and a terminator, but goddamn if its shooting isn't routinely disappointing.

I've taken it as an armor cracker with twin las and the missile launcher, I've done twin las and the rockets, but I admit I've yet to take the assault cannons. Is that my big screw-up? It's not to say I've done nothing with it, but drat if it isn't expensive.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

chutche2 posted:

That's perfect.

I don't have any lamps with bulbs, I just have LED ones. So I'll get some tracing paper to put over them.

Parchment paper works really well, plus it's guaranteed to not worry about the heat.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Parchment paper works really well, plus it's guaranteed to not worry about the heat.

Oh okay, I just got some parchment for making my wet palette.

TheBigAristotle posted:

Any Deathwatch players unsatisfied with the performance of your Corvus Blackstar?

I definitely wouldn't rely on a corvus to both transport and shoot tanks. I'd take lascannon dreads or armigers for that. It's already got a big target on it because it's a transport, and then when it moves it's missing shots. Better to hose stuff down with assault cannon fire.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

That's perfect.

Their explanation for LED vs other bulbs is completely wrong. An LED bulb with exposed diodes and a daylight bulb with clear glass and an exposed filament will both have the same issue of the light being too hard, and a frosted LED bulb or tungsten bulb will look the same.

This LED bulb will look totally fine

This LED bulb will be too harsh

This daylight bulb will also look too harsh

But this tungsten bulb will look fine

However, on all of these you probably want a sheet of parchment paper between the bulb and the model. The reason shadows are soft/hard is the relative size of the light source, and diffusing it through paper will increase the relative size. As you can imagine, the frosted bulbs do the same thing of diffusing and increasing the size of the light source as the tracing paper, though they don't get as big.

E: For reference, this is my light setup. The two lights are roughly 24x36.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Booley posted:

Their explanation for LED vs other bulbs is completely wrong. An LED bulb with exposed diodes and a daylight bulb with clear glass and an exposed filament will both have the same issue of the light being too hard, and a frosted LED bulb or tungsten bulb will look the same.

This LED bulb will look totally fine

This LED bulb will be too harsh

This daylight bulb will also look too harsh

But this tungsten bulb will look fine

However, on all of these you probably want a sheet of parchment paper between the bulb and the model. The reason shadows are soft/hard is the relative size of the light source, and diffusing it through paper will increase the relative size. As you can imagine, the frosted bulbs do the same thing of diffusing and increasing the size of the light source as the tracing paper, though they don't get as big.

Awesome, thanks for sharing. I always wondered what your setup was.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

I definitely wouldn't rely on a corvus to both transport and shoot tanks. I'd take lascannon dreads or armigers for that. It's already got a big target on it because it's a transport, and then when it moves it's missing shots. Better to hose stuff down with assault cannon fire.

Agreed.

I put together an objective-capturing list today and we did open war and it was just "kill the other guy" so that did not go well.

But my Watch Master... Those re-rolls :allears:

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Booley posted:

But what setup do you use to photograph your photography setup?

chutche2 posted:

Oh okay, I just got some parchment for making my wet palette.

Parchment paper is awesome stuff. Sure, use it for a wet palette and background. And also for making banners for your miniatures. And other stuff.

But also use it when baking (you know, what it's meant for). Forget about greasing pans forever. It makes an enormous difference in getting food to cook evenly. Even for simple things like warming frozen foods.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Nice, sounds good.

I have these kinds of desk lamps, the LED is behind a flat frosted plate and so the shadows it has are pretty soft.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Maneck posted:

But what setup do you use to photograph your photography setup?

My backup camera.

chutche2 posted:

Nice, sounds good.

I have these kinds of desk lamps, the LED is behind a flat frosted plate and so the shadows it has are pretty soft.

Those should work perfectly fine, though since the light source is still only about the size of the model you'll probably want some parchment paper in between. The biggest issue will just be getting enough light, though the fact that you can force your camera to shoot at ISO100 will help a lot in dealing with it (as long as you set it on something stable).

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Booley posted:

My backup camera.

I assumed phone and was not expecting an actual answer.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Pendent posted:

When I really look at it I feel like the melta mounts and the center carapace mount are probably the ones that seem off which I think I do agree with.

Overall I am really into the Castellan though, more so than I have been for a model release in quite a while. The miniature Warlord thing really does it for me.

I was thinking the same thing about the Warlord when watching that incredibly boring battle report. However knowing that AT is coming out in a couple of months has actually put me off buying a Dominus as it feels like I'll be painting 2 of the same thing again very soon. Between that and the anti-Armiger rule means I'm just gonna pick up a single Knight as a freeblade in my AdMech army, rather than starting a full lance from scratch as I was originally considering.

Still really curious to see how the 8mm Warlord and full-size Dominus compare though. There can't be much in it.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know if you can actually make a single Knight in a Superheavy Auxiliary Detachment a Freeblade? I can’t find any clear answers online

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

Does anyone know if you can actually make a single Knight in a Superheavy Auxiliary Detachment a Freeblade? I can’t find any clear answers online

I'm 90% sure you can, but I don't think we can know for sure until next weekend. You could try messaging someone who's got a review copy.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Booley posted:

I'm 90% sure you can, but I don't think we can know for sure until next weekend. You could try messaging someone who's got a review copy.

I feel like you can as well but I’m just not quite sure.

I’m really tempted to try to pull together the money for a Castellan to run alongside my Blood Angels when I want a harder list. There’s some really obvious synergy between the two and as I’ve been saying I love the model for the Dominus Knights. I’m trying to figure out exactly what that would look like in terms of access to relics and other special rules.

From what I’ve seen the Freeblade stuff is really geared around assault so it wouldn’t be ideal for a Castellan but it’s better than nothing. There’s also a relic that gives a 2+ armor save that I’d really like to take but I just don’t know if I can yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

chutche2 posted:

Nice, sounds good.

If you can, get another one (or two) of those lights.

In lieu of passing the light through a diffuser you can pull them back to soften the harshness of the lighting.

One other thing about LEDs is that they are not made equal and they can have weird "spiky" colour emission spectra (unlike filament and flourescent bulbs) - try and use the same make of LED throughout so your camera's white balancing produces a more accurate result.