Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Does anyone rent out Xboxes/PS4s? I have a PC but want to play some NHL/MLB games since I played them as a kid, but I don’t own the console. All the google results are from places like Rent a Center, but I’m looking more like how Blockbuster used to rent consoles.

You can stream playstation 4 games on demand to your PC, if you want to go that route. I'm not sure if those specific titles are available or not.

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/get-help/help-library/services/playstation-now/playstation-now-on-pc/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Trastion posted:

Edit VV: I figured he was saying to buy it and return within 90 days. That IS retail fraud if you are doing it for the sole purpose of "renting" it.

ah, you're thinking of "return abuse" which is sick as hell, not illegal, and sticks it to the companies that would throw their employees in a grain thresher if it moved their bottom line a dollar in the right direction

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

CzarChasm posted:

Media Player Classic is a pretty basic player that will handle most formats.

If it works in WMP, why are you looking for an alternative? Or is this just a perfectly valid "I don't like WMP" thing?

Windows Media Player made me look up the keyboard shortcut for play/pause because for some unfathomable reason, it's not space bar. And its scrub forward/back functionality is complete trash.

I'll give MPC a go, thanks.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Spokes posted:

ah, you're thinking of "return abuse" which is sick as hell, not illegal, and sticks it to the companies that would throw their employees in a grain thresher if it moved their bottom line a dollar in the right direction

Yeah, gently caress that quisling bullshit. You can even return apps on iOS in the same vein. Though that’s a bit less blameless if it’s something from a small dev without a large catalogue.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

uwaeve posted:

You can rent any game system from Walmart, they charge $0 for a 90-day period.

Game systems are 15 days, not 90

Also didn't Costco enormously scale back their return policy because people were abusing the hell out of it

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I have a friend who wants to get into using LEDs in a scale modelling project. It's his birthday, and I wanted to get him a kit or bunch of bits with which to experiment with this kind of thing. Looking on Amazon, however, I am bewildered the stuff that comes up. I assumed there would be a hobbyists' starter set or something like that.

Can anyone recommend a source to go and learn about this stuff, or a supplier brand that does starter type sets?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I get all my electronic components from Chinese eBay sellers. Dirt cheap and you get a shitload of them.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

ineptmule posted:

I have a friend who wants to get into using LEDs in a scale modelling project. It's his birthday, and I wanted to get him a kit or bunch of bits with which to experiment with this kind of thing. Looking on Amazon, however, I am bewildered the stuff that comes up. I assumed there would be a hobbyists' starter set or something like that.

Can anyone recommend a source to go and learn about this stuff, or a supplier brand that does starter type sets?

Some electronics stores have a hobby kit section, or just small bags of resistors/LEDs/switches. They're way more expensive (meaning you'd pay $5 per little bag, vs something measured in cents in bulk) than ebay or even Digikey but they have the bonus of being able to ask the dude in the store what you'd need.

If you want to go the Ebay/Digikey route you'd need LEDs, appropriately sized resistors, and a power source of some sort. Here's a calculator from Digikey

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If you get canned products with ground beef in the them (chili, pasta etc) the beef usually has kind of a spongy puffy texture. What are they doing to it to cause that? I assume there is some process of making a tiny piece of meat appear bigger like with cheap chinese food.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

ElwoodCuse posted:

Game systems are 15 days, not 90

Also didn't Costco enormously scale back their return policy because people were abusing the hell out of it

I stand corrected, thanks. It's been a while since I looked.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

veni veni veni posted:

If you get canned products with ground beef in the them (chili, pasta etc) the beef usually has kind of a spongy puffy texture. What are they doing to it to cause that? I assume there is some process of making a tiny piece of meat appear bigger like with cheap chinese food.

Probably just waterlogged from sitting in sauce for however long.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I've got a mini fridge that hasn't been turned on in 8 or 9 years. Will it still work just fine?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I've got a mini fridge that hasn't been turned on in 8 or 9 years. Will it still work just fine?

Possibly, but if it's been stored on its side it might take a day or so for it to start cooling again.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
How do I get Comcast to stop sending me bullshit junk mail?

I've unsubscribed with their website at least three times in the past six months, and I've contacted customer service. I own no Comcast services and haven't for over a year.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Possibly, but if it's been stored on its side it might take a day or so for it to start cooling again.

As long as it's not going to blow up or go on fire or release noxious fumes or just plain not work.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

As long as it's not going to blow up or go on fire or release noxious fumes or just plain not work.

It might plain not work, but you' should be able to figure that out on your own.

revolther
May 27, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

How do I get Comcast to stop sending me bullshit junk mail?

I've unsubscribed with their website at least three times in the past six months, and I've contacted customer service. I own no Comcast services and haven't for over a year.
Physical mail? You don't. Companies bombarding everyone with leaflets daily is what keeps the mail running.

I guess you could move to one of the US regions where comcast and surewest or whoever it is have non-compete deals, but then you're just getting a palette swapped version of the same thing.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I feel like there’s a law somewhere that companies can’t send you junk mail if you’ve explicitly told them to stop.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
We get mailers for AT&T about once a month. The first couple times I called, they said they'd remove us from their mailing list, which would supposedly take up to 90 days. After that time passed, the next time I called the phone mook told me they are not able to remove me from their list. It wasn't clear if that was for legal or laziness reasons. I just want them to stop wasting so much paper!

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Junk mail is so bad for the environment and I've done a few things to minimize what I receive.

The FTC has some useful info for getting off direct marketing lists. Following their suggestions, I have gone to the Opt Out site and filed the request to be permanently removed from any offers to do with credit, which seems to have worked very well. This does need to be done for each individual at your address who receives the offers, though, or you'll just keep getting junk mail credit card offers. Next, I went to DMA Choice and requested to receive no mail on any subject, which has also reduced if not eliminated junk mail addressed to me. That cost $2 and was easy to do.

These sites may not catch local-ish advertisers and companies. I get off those lists by saving the junk mail they send and calling them directly to be removed. It's worked every time so far. Sometimes you gotta hunt for phone numbers and navigate phone trees to talk to a human but I haven't been foiled yet, and the results have been pretty good (i.e., a mailbox way less cluttered with trash). Some junk mail has fine print indicating the actual company responsible for it. If you look at the coupons stuffed in your mailbox, they're probably from Redplum. Since requesting to be removed from their list I haven't received anything from them.

Comcast still sends me the occasional mailer but I haven't even tried getting off their list yet.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
A couple of years ago, I bought something online using Paypal and within a day or two, someone placed a fraudulent $1000 charge on my credit card for plane tickets. After dealing with it through my credit union, I had alerts placed on the card to email me whenever it was used.

And good thing I did, because it happened to me again last Friday. On Thursday I made two purchases online using Paypal (one on ebay from a top seller, one on Yesstyle.com) and on Thursday night I got an email saying my credit card had been used to buy something for $0.22 at “Vinyl OFFICE,” which I didn’t recognize. Called my credit union, turns out someone had tried to place a $1000 charge to “Crystal Travel” and it was declined (because ~luckily~ I forgot to pay off my credit card in May, so the charge went over my credit limit), so then they must have tried a much smaller fraudulent charge to see if it would work. My credit card has been canceled and a new one has been issued, and I’ve changed my Paypal password.

I thought Paypal was supposed to be secure (and my password was unique and strong), so I’m wondering how this happened? The fraudulent charges don’t appear on my Paypal activity list, only on my credit card statement. How could I determine where in the payment process the security breakdown could have occurred? (As in, where could the weak link in the chain be—Paypal, the ebay seller, somewhere else?)

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Rabbit Hill posted:

A couple of years ago, I bought something online using Paypal and within a day or two, someone placed a fraudulent $1000 charge on my credit card for plane tickets. After dealing with it through my credit union, I had alerts placed on the card to email me whenever it was used.

And good thing I did, because it happened to me again last Friday. On Thursday I made two purchases online using Paypal (one on ebay from a top seller, one on Yesstyle.com) and on Thursday night I got an email saying my credit card had been used to buy something for $0.22 at “Vinyl OFFICE,” which I didn’t recognize. Called my credit union, turns out someone had tried to place a $1000 charge to “Crystal Travel” and it was declined (because ~luckily~ I forgot to pay off my credit card in May, so the charge went over my credit limit), so then they must have tried a much smaller fraudulent charge to see if it would work. My credit card has been canceled and a new one has been issued, and I’ve changed my Paypal password.

I thought Paypal was supposed to be secure (and my password was unique and strong), so I’m wondering how this happened? The fraudulent charges don’t appear on my Paypal activity list, only on my credit card statement. How could I determine where in the payment process the security breakdown could have occurred? (As in, where could the weak link in the chain be—Paypal, the ebay seller, somewhere else?)

Odds are someone got your credit card number in some unrelated manner and used it coincidentally after you used it — way better odds than PayPal being compromised. If someone had access to your PayPal they couldn’t see the full number, and the eBay seller wouldn’t even get any whiff of anything.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
If there is a horse racing thread somewhere someone point me that way please.

I have a question about parimutuel betting. I get that the winners divide up the money the losers bet, but what I don’t know is how separate the pools are.

For people that place a show bet, are they only splitting the money that other people who placed a show bet put down? What about for exotic bets like trifectas? Are they only splitting the money other trifecta betters bet?

If that’s how it works then I guess figuring out what a show or place bet will actually pay is really difficult and can’t be done directly from the regular odds you see, which are for win bets correct? So a show bet wouldn’t necessarily be X% of what a win bet would’ve been?

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Conventional wisdom is that food usually shouldn’t be left out at room temperature for more than a few hours. Growing up with an immigrant family, we would make a stew or soup or whatever and leave it in the pot for one to three nights and we never seemed to contract food poisoning from it. We would reheat it before eating it again, but I understand that heat doesn’t remove harmful waste products from bacteria.

Were we safe? Was it just a game of chance and we got lucky? Is it the kind of thing where it brings the risk from 1/1000 to 1/700 where it’s significantly more dangerous but still unlikely? Forgive my 1800s understanding of food safety.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Take this with a grain of salt because it's just my personal opinion, but people are giant pussies about food and "the danger zone". Although I've definitely never eaten anything that sat on a stove for 3 days tbh.

I dunno I've never had a problem eating sketchy poo poo and I've never had food poisoning (knock on wood) while people who won't touch raw chicken without a hazmat suit seem to get it every month. I think people are just mental about that poo poo. Trust your nose/taste.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Eh food safety is mostly common sense at home. You can leave a pot of something on the stove, add a little water the next day and re-heat/stir it up and you'll be fine. The better way would be a crock pot at a constant low heat. There are kinds of hunters stews and old world soups that are sorta meant to always be added to and never depleted that roll for years.

Pork and chicken and ground meats you want to make sure are thoroughly cooked. Steak I traditionally always eat a little raw slice while prepping, but I wouldn't do that with wild game steaks or anything non USDA.

The way it was explained to me was something like this, the bacteria need oxygen, a food surface and a ripe temperature to flourish.
At room temp bacteria and air will slowly work through the exposed cell walls of a steak, that's why you store it at temps bacteria doesn't like and external heat kills what little does grow, sear the outside and eat as pink as you like.
With ground meat the exposed "bonding sites" as it were for air and bacteria go from being the surfaces of the steak to every little globule of ground up meat, so the risk of exposure to bacteria is significantly greater coz it's all jumbled around and flattened, and why more people are hesitant to have rare burgers, which heated from the outward -> in, might house bacteria in the red center.

Chicken and pork are prone to different bacteria which don't follow the same rules as beef because the parasites/bacteria tend to grow in the tissue of the meat. Fish apparently not being mammals makes a lot of bacteria not crossover to us when eaten raw google says.

Kevin DuBrow posted:

We would reheat it before eating it again, but I understand that heat doesn’t remove harmful waste products from bacteria.

Were we safe? Was it just a game of chance and we got lucky?
I'm guessing this part was that while bacteria and the waste products may have got in there, you'll know because of an ammonia type smell in some foods, but it's very likely that the tiny amounts of harmful waste stuff were denatured by the heat that killed the bacteria, and caused you some minor gastro-intestinal funk but nothing you'd go to the hospital for or possibly even notice if you had a bad diet.

revolther fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jun 4, 2018

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

If there is a horse racing thread somewhere someone point me that way please.

The specific horse racing thread got archived. Which is a shame because 99% of the posts were from 1 guy who bet on tons of stuff, it was amusing.

You can try the general fantasy forum and maybe someone in another betting thread also knows horses

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=248

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
What's a good way to deodorize sneakers?? I was on a medication recently that caused (and still causes) my feet to sweat more than usual, and combined with being on my feet for the entirety of my day at work my relatively new sneakers are already starting to smell. I'm going to look into getting a prescription antiperspirant for my feet also, but what's a good way to get rid of the smell? I tried some of those bamboo charcoal shoe inserts that are supposed to help but so far they ain't working.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

fun things to do in NYC if I'm there for a few days? definitely thinking of checking out Central Park, and some museums. other than that, I'm all out of ideas. general cafe chilling, but that's a little boring.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

There are enough museums and they’re big enough that you could probably occupy a few days doing that and not even see all the good ones.

Metropolitan Museum of Art
MOMA
Brooklyn Museum
Jewish Museum
The Cloisters
Frick Collection
Guggenheim
Whitney Museum
American Folk Art Museum
NYPL
Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum
Museum of Natural History
NY Botanical Garden
Tenement Museum
Ellis Island
And more!

Badger of Basra fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 4, 2018

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I don't want the entire trip to just consist of museums though, I wanna get as much variety in as possible

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

ServoMST3K posted:

What's a good way to deodorize sneakers?? I was on a medication recently that caused (and still causes) my feet to sweat more than usual, and combined with being on my feet for the entirety of my day at work my relatively new sneakers are already starting to smell. I'm going to look into getting a prescription antiperspirant for my feet also, but what's a good way to get rid of the smell? I tried some of those bamboo charcoal shoe inserts that are supposed to help but so far they ain't working.

I haven't tried it myself, but I've seen the suggestion to wrap them up in a plastic bag and toss them in a freezer for a day or two, which will kill the warmth-loving bacteria you sweated into them. Another idea I've run across is to fill a sock with kitty litter and stuff that into the shoe to dry the gently caress out of it, but again, I haven't tried it so I can't really say how well it works.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ServoMST3K posted:

I don't have unusually stinky feet but for this I use what's called a "shoe tree" -- they look like this:

and you can get one made of a nice-smelling wood like cedar that should help with your problem.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

ServoMST3K posted:

Buy a second pair of sneakers.

If you alternate, it gives each pair time to dry out and stop the stinkiness.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Qubee posted:

I don't want the entire trip to just consist of museums though, I wanna get as much variety in as possible

What do you like to do when you travel? Theater is always a good choice in New York, either Broadway or Off-Broadway or one of the million tiny theaters that are everyfuckingwhere. Music of all kinds. You can do some cool hikes within the city limits if you get bored with Central Park. Shopping, there's all the shopping. I have never done one of those cruises around the city (Circle Line and Skyline are both reputable companies) but I hear they're fun.

Darth blob
Nov 12, 2011

puts the "ass" in classy
I hats GBS , fyad BYOB?
How is something awful organized ?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

ServoMST3K posted:

What's a good way to deodorize sneakers??

Cram them really tight full of newspaper and let sit overnight (or longer I guess). Not sure how it works, but I have had miraculous results doing this, even on some serious funk, like bordering on foul odors.

Though if you're continuing to sweat bullets in them, I'm not sure it'd last long enough to not become a big pain in the rear end by having to do it too often.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I put those charcoal inserts in my climbing shoes and they smell fine. I've started using them for all my shoes without problems.

If they're already smelly though, you might be hosed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

PRADA SLUT posted:

I put those charcoal inserts in my climbing shoes and they smell fine. I've started using them for all my shoes without problems.

If they're already smelly though, you might be hosed.

This. If you want to keep your shoes from getting gross they can't be gross in the first place. Buy a new pair, stick some odor eaters in them and replace them every 1-2 months and they will fall apart before they smell bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Why when you see an old suit of armour is it not rusty