Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
:aaaaa:

For some reason I had thought Trull was shorn for a tremendous amount of time, something on the order of centuries, and was kept alive by some weird sorcery connected with his shackles. Am I just misremembering? He was shorn in a fragment of Kurald Emurlahn, correct? Did he just experience time differently there?

Edit: Rereading the intro to House of Chains, they mention something about Pure Kin. Does that get explained later? No idea what that's referring to.

reversefungi fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
IIRC time does flow differently in the Nascent (the Emurlahn fragment) so Trull probably felt he was chained there for far longer. My take on it was that he was there for several years rather than centuries, kept alive by sorcery.

As for Pure Kin, I think it might be referring to the Tiste Andii, specifically the headless ones onboard the Silanda (the Edur were the ones who killed them).

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Pure Kin: aren't they sailing around and sometimes finding Edur colonies? Only they were of mixed blood. I don't remember the context of it but it could be that they are looking for non-mixed blood relatives. Bit could also refer to Andii or Liosan.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Pillars of Eternity 2 just came out, and within the first five minutes we have:
Omnious tarot readings
Twin gods bartering for your resurrection
Giant jade statues full of souls screaming to get out
Gods getting hosed by explosives

I think I know what book the devs were reading.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Omnious tarot readings

Moving slightly upwards on my Steam wishlist.
Although to be fair there a lot of this was set up in 1 and it felt sufficiently different from Malazan there.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Chris Avellone always said he wanted to write a Malazan game. Dunno if he worked on PoE1 or 2 but I'm assuming some of his ideas rubbed off on the rest of Obsidian at some point

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
He wrote a bunch of stuff for 1, not sure about 2 - apparently they've parted ways on unfriendly terms but whether they used any of his stuff I have no idea.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Moving slightly upwards on my Steam wishlist.
Although to be fair there a lot of this was set up in 1 and it felt sufficiently different from Malazan there.

It's treatment of the Gods and souls is a lot closer to Malazan than the first game - the Gods are very present but limited, their influence on people and events is generally accepted as one of those things that happens. They feel a lot like Ascendants in tone and power, and in how every man and his dog will chip in with their opinions on the metaphysical and religious implications of what's going on.

The plot's only vaguely Malazan-y - various Mystical Stuff is going down, and loads of warring factions and powerful individuals are piling in to a hitherto unimportant part of the world, and I imagine it'll end in a very enjoyable clusterfuck.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Omnious tarot readings

Aw man.

I wanted to love PoE1 so badly but it just never clicked for me.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

dwarf74 posted:

Aw man.

I wanted to love PoE1 so badly but it just never clicked for me.

Yeah, I even tried to get back into it just because of the quoted post and...nope. The style of combat just absolutely does not click with me at all and I'm fairly sad about it.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Oh Snapple! posted:

Yeah, I even tried to get back into it just because of the quoted post and...nope. The style of combat just absolutely does not click with me at all and I'm fairly sad about it.

The combat's way better than PoE 1's "stand in a choke point and spam cipher spells", but its still kinda floaty and disconnected. Still doesn't come close to Original Sin 2's combat, which really raised the bar for RPGs.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Yeah; The problem I had with all of the 'let's remake 90's RPGs!' is they brought all the bad bits with them too that we should have dispensed with.

Original Sin 2 gives us the 90's RPG vibe AND is a drat sight more fun to play; I'd love to see Larian do titles in other settings like Malazan.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Question: Do the Seguleh ever come back in later books? They were one of my favorite parts of Memories of Ice.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Individuals here and there. Their story is told fully in the Esslemont novels, to a satisfying conclusion imo.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Isolated Seguleh do pop up in the later Erikson written books.
ICE's (Ian Cameron Esslemont) Orb Sceptre Throne malazan book handles the entire Seguleh nation, only it's written by ICE....not Steven Erikson.
Skipping Orb Sceptre Throne is a good call, unless you enjoy ICE's writing or must know what happened to Darujhistan & the Seguleh empire after Malazan: Book of the Fallen series ended.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Disagree. Orb Sceptre throne, the seguleh, and Darujistan are way more interesting than the interminable crimson guard storylines.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Disagree. Orb Sceptre throne, the seguleh, and Darujistan are way more interesting than the interminable crimson guard storylines.

Never read the ICE Crimson Guard books, so they must be real baaad. Orb Sceptre Throne was technically ok, Orb Sceptre Throne just read like it was written using a earlier set of whatever world building notes that Esslement had on hand from when Erikson + Esslemont created the Malazan setting.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I'm rereading Return of the Crimson Guard after the Lament and Deadhouse Landing. Excellent reread! It makes you care more about some characters. Can't wait for more Erikson tho.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

turboraton posted:

I'm rereading Return of the Crimson Guard after the Lament and Deadhouse Landing. Excellent reread! It makes you care more about some characters. Can't wait for more Erikson tho.

Almost finished DL, and it seems that very little actually happened in them. The siege of Li Heng was great, but the Dancer/Kellanved plot feels like lots of to-ing and fro-ing without a lot of meat to them. Kel seems to be set on conquering cities just for shits and giggles, I'd have liked a bit more of a steady escalation.

Angry Teenage Tattersail was worth the price of admission all by itself.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Part of the charm of shadowthrone and dancer is that they are always cavorting around with no clear intention or goals, yet everyone from random Malazan citizens to Elder Gods knows they're up to something, and are probably worried about it.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Holy hell Bonehunters is amazing

A high seas battle involving Karsa, Icarium, the Edur fleet, and the remnants of the Bridgeburners? Elder Holds? A new Deck? I'm not prepared for this.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

pile of brown posted:

Part of the charm of shadowthrone and dancer is that they are always cavorting around with no clear intention or goals, yet everyone from random Malazan citizens to Elder Gods knows they're up to something, and are probably worried about it.

Also Dancer's creeping realisation about how much of a maniac Kellanved is. I just would have liked to see how and why Kellanved got how he is - his Otataral-induced Taro vision quest is implied to have done something like that, but there doesn't seem to be much change between pre- and post-spoiler Kell. AS it is, the prequels kind of fall into the same hole as Night of Knives - they describing stuff we already know the resolution of, and aren't really adding anything new to the story.

Seeing Kallor popping up and getting dunked on again (but I repeat myself...) was fun, and got me thinking about what species he is. The timelines suggest he's human, but there's a reference to a High King in the Kharkanas trilogy, and he tells Brood he was around when the Imass were young, which would both be before humans evolved from Imass. Rogue Azathanai maybe?

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
I'm rereading Toll the Hounds and just realized that the board game the Tiste Andii play with multiple kings and all that jazz (Kef Tanar) is probably based on the mock battle the kid (it was either Orfantal or his friend Wreneck) and the super old dying dude (Hust maybe? I can't remember) have when the real battle at the end of Fall of Light happens, and was probably invented by that kid, which I thought was really cool.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Man with Hat posted:

I'm rereading Toll the Hounds and just realized that the board game the Tiste Andii play with multiple kings and all that jazz (Kef Tanar) is probably based on the mock battle the kid (it was either Orfantal or his friend Wreneck) and the super old dying dude (Hust maybe? I can't remember) have when the real battle at the end of Fall of Light happens, and was probably invented by that kid, which I thought was really cool.

GET OUT. loving ending of Fall of Light man, what a series.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Seeing Kallor popping up and getting dunked on again (but I repeat myself...) was fun, and got me thinking about what species he is. The timelines suggest he's human, but there's a reference to a High King in the Kharkanas trilogy, and he tells Brood he was around when the Imass were young, which would both be before humans evolved from Imass. Rogue Azathanai maybe?

This was my guess. Perhaps being one of the weaker Azathanai he chose to overcompensate for his below-average dong power by simply dominating an empire, rather than taking the more subtle approach of the others. Being thrice-cursed and unable to Ascend like his peers certainly wouldn't have helped his attitude much.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I always took the stuff about Kallor as being around the when the Imass were young as exaggeration or some scrapped detail that got reworked. I always bought of him as just a regular human who’s a real jerk.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
iirc FoD FoL mention dogrunners? Aren't they humans?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

zokie posted:

iirc FoD FoL mention dogrunners? Aren't they humans?

They're the ancestors of the Imass (Bonecasters, hang out with Olar Ethil, highly emotional, friends with wolves/dogs). Which does make them human ancestors (and Barghast, and Moranth, Imass got around a bit), but quite a way back.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
The Bonehunters down. That might have been my favorite one yet next to Memories of Ice. The very last scene of the epilogue really tied a bow on everything.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
It probably says something about me that I find Kallor one of the most compelling characters in the series.

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
Noble Kruppe is the best, hands down.

is he just a normal human? normal in the sense that hes genius level smart (only Quick Ben seems to be on his level) and he has a deck of dragons in his head.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Kruppe is most certainly very hungry.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

CoolHandMat posted:

Noble Kruppe is the best, hands down.

is he just a normal human? normal in the sense that hes genius level smart (only Quick Ben seems to be on his level) and he has a deck of dragons in his head.

Is he though? Can there be any doubt that Kruppe would be more dangerous than 10 Quick Bens if he had access to the same power?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Pretty sure Kruppe is beyond QB. Kruppe neatly and effortlessly avoids a full strength attack from a millenia-old Azathanai armed with a weapon that channels all of Tennes, QB barely held off Icarium and admitted he pushed far beyond his own limits. I'd also argue that QBs humanity is still largely up for debate, we really don't know who or what all his souls are.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

pile of brown posted:

Pretty sure Kruppe is beyond QB. Kruppe neatly and effortlessly avoids a full strength attack from a millenia-old Azathanai armed with a weapon that channels all of Tennes, QB barely held off Icarium and admitted he pushed far beyond his own limits. I'd also argue that QBs humanity is still largely up for debate, we really don't know who or what all his souls are.

He's presumably descended from/soul shifted with Korya Delath right? It's practically the same name, and massive soul-shifting is pretty much entirely what she was trained for.

Also they both like creepy dolls.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Kruppe is the 3-in-1 Shield Anvil/Destriant/Mortal Sword of the Warren of Pastry. As long as pastries, or any kind of delicious baked goods exist, good friend Kruppe cannot be defeated. By anyone. Except possibly by good friend Kruppe's empty stomach.

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017

pile of brown posted:

Kruppe was backed by Elder Kruul i believe. I dont think that it was all him.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

CoolHandMat posted:

Kruppe was backed by Elder Kruul i believe. I dont think that it was all him.

He can also use magic without accessing a warren so there’s something at least.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He can also use magic without accessing a warren so there’s something at least.
He's got K'rul backing him, who literally is the Warrens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
After hating Gardens, loving Deadhouse Gates, hating Memories of Ice, I started reading the one that introduced Karsa and he's just riding around raping everything and killing children, so it may be love again?