Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My Pixel 2 XL works perfectly with my Google Wifi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The Xiaomi Mi 8 comes with a one handed mode and lol:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The notch lol

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PerrineClostermann posted:

Does it block SJW stuff?

What the gently caress?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It has the cadence of a joke, because a previous guy said they block conservative websites on their child's phone.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Stop.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

sourdough posted:

Does anyone have a Pixel 1 or 2 and not have problems with mesh routers? I remember someone posting a while back that it was an issue that a Pixel could kill a WiFi network by connecting to it. I'm not getting that, but I am getting really annoying WiFi disconnects at a university, that IT seems to think is related to problems handing off between access points or something. Thing is, even if I'm sitting in one place, it keeps happening, like 1-3 times a minute will disconnect for 5 seconds, then reconnect. Just wondering if there's any magic to fix it.

I have a 2xl and 2 Ubiquiti mesh WiFi APs and I haven't had any problems.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

sourdough posted:

Does anyone have a Pixel 1 or 2 and not have problems with mesh routers? I remember someone posting a while back that it was an issue that a Pixel could kill a WiFi network by connecting to it. I'm not getting that, but I am getting really annoying WiFi disconnects at a university, that IT seems to think is related to problems handing off between access points or something. Thing is, even if I'm sitting in one place, it keeps happening, like 1-3 times a minute will disconnect for 5 seconds, then reconnect. Just wondering if there's any magic to fix it.

I have Google wifi with 3 pucks in my house and it works fine.

Anecdotal, though.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

sourdough posted:

Not sure what your university uses, but I have no issues using eduroam at mine with my Pixel 2. I very seldomly see a disconnect and reconnect.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

2018 Hondas are Android Auto compatible?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
So are 2016

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

The Xiaomi Mi 8 comes with a one handed mode and lol:

I have so many questions right now...the first one is...why does it need a one-handed mode??

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

One handed mode for people with tiny babby hands is a thing on lots of phones

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Yeah I thought it was a weird feature for my Moto x4 but I guess if you are a literal child maybe it's good.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

Does it block SJW stuff?

No. Google is pretty much pro SJW to the point that they will literally curate you stuff in an attempt to change your mind.

Can't have non lefties using the lefty platform afterall.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

grimcreaper posted:

No. Google is pretty much pro SJW to the point that they will literally curate you stuff in an attempt to change your mind.

Can't have non lefties using the lefty platform afterall.

christ shut up please.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

christ shut up please.

Proving your a lefty which also means your a mac fanboy which means your in the wrong thread, cowboy.

On a serious note: anyone have any good Samsung Theme Store suggestions? I want something that looks kinda techie and I'm slightly challenged so j use the easy tools because I'm dumb.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

My Pixel 2 XL works perfectly with my Google Wifi.

Stormangel posted:

I have a 2xl and 2 Ubiquiti mesh WiFi APs and I haven't had any problems.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I have Google wifi with 3 pucks in my house and it works fine.

Anecdotal, though.

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

Not sure what your university uses, but I have no issues using eduroam at mine with my Pixel 2. I very seldomly see a disconnect and reconnect.

Thanks. We do have eduroam for visitors, in addition to another two networks, so I'll try that this week. No idea if they're all using the same hardware or what. Probably also worth doing a factory reset. The IT guy I talked to has a Pixel 1 and identical problem, but had originally just figured wifi was spotty, not that it was a legit issue.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Quick query:

I'm idly considering bumping up to the midrange of cell phones right now and a standout looks like the Hauwei Honor View 10, 128/6gb. It looks like a good blend of flagship SoC with more moderate design language eg: no notch, headphone jack, metal body. My question is does anyone have direct personal experience with this particular device. What are your impressions of the camera? How is everyday usability with a 6" screen device? Also for the thread at large, would this be a good upgrade over a Moto G5+ 64/4gb, if I can sell that device for $150ish (I paid $220). I generally like a smaller form factor device, but I know that screen to body ratios are getting good enough these days that it's harder to quantify a difference.

Secondly, I know that the US Govt has warned people to not purchase Hauwei devices. I am wondering how overblown these concerns are, and can anyone show me hard evidence (such as Krebs On Security or equivalent) that this is a serious problem.

Lastly: I know there's a refresh to the Nokia lineup coming down the pipe. What ever happened to their flagship devices making it to the US? All I'm seeing is a lot of chatter about the 6.1. I prefer purchasing my devices outright, so bumping over to something like the Mate SE would be a incremental update at best. I'd like to really move up to upper midrange instead of dropping $700+ on a current flagship. What would you bunch say the compromises are for snagging an Honor 10 vs something like a last gen Galaxy S?

Thanks for your time, hopefully these questions foster some friendly debate that's not the usual thread tropes.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 3, 2018

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I went from a Moto g4 to mate se, screen is 5.93 inches and when both are in a case they are nearly identical in size, the mate see is a few mm taller and there is effectively no difference in the way they feel. Fwiw it was a huge upgrade and I've seen people say the same thing going from the g5

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

$150? Like I guess a Moto E or something. Just so long as you're aware you're not getting anything remotely close to good for that price.
If I pushed my limit to $200 whats ideal?

Hell, at this point I'm going to scavenge Amazon and/or Ebay for something decent.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Robzilla posted:

Hell, at this point I'm going to scavenge Amazon and/or Ebay for something decent.

Moto G6 play looks good for around that price range

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I'm left handed and pro physical keyboard.

None of these things help answer my original question.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Robzilla posted:

The Mate SE is the best cheap phone right now. If $230 is too much then I'd look at the Moto E.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Robzilla posted:

An Honor 7X is probably your best Android bet for a $200 phone unless you've got the nerve to go used.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

MC Hawking posted:

Secondly, I know that the US Govt has warned people to not purchase Hauwei devices. I am wondering how overblown these concerns are, and can anyone show me hard evidence (such as Krebs On Security or equivalent) that this is a serious problem.

Trying not to delve too far into politics here, but I think the bigger risk than any security concerns (which exist with any phone, depending just how paranoid you are, but which certainly exist with any phone manufactured by someone with ties to the Chinese government...or the U.S. government...or an American corporation...or whoever) is that U.S. businesses could be banned from doing business with Huawei entirely like what happened with ZTE, which would obviously affect any decision you make with regard to getting ongoing support for your phone. (I don't know how likely that is, but it feels like there's at least a nonzero chance.)

That said, things are volatile enough that I wouldn't necessarily make any decision based on what the U.S. government might do right now.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Basically, life is short, phone lifespans are shorter. Buy whatever the gently caress you want.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I dropped my Huawei P9 Lite in the toilet last night, it's sitting in rice at the moment, but I think it's dead.
Anyway, I was looking for a replacement, and it seems the new Huawei is the Huawei P20 Lite. What happened to those 11 P's? Did I miss a ton of phones?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
It's a bullshit number.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

shut up blegum posted:

I dropped my Huawei P9 Lite in the toilet last night, it's sitting in rice at the moment, but I think it's dead.
Anyway, I was looking for a replacement, and it seems the new Huawei is the Huawei P20 Lite. What happened to those 11 P's? Did I miss a ton of phones?

They consider the flagship P20 such an improved over the P9 Pro that they skipped the other numbers to underline this.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Garbage cell phone trends
1. Curved Glass
2. Headphone jack
3. Glass back (wireless charging you say? that works through plastic)
4. Notch

help me out here

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

shut up blegum posted:

That's just a waste of rice, stick it somewhere warm with decent airflow

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Skarsnik posted:

That's just a waste of rice, stick it somewhere warm with decent airflow

I'm pretty sure it's too late :( I can see condensation on the lens of the front camera. Doubt that's a good sign.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

docbeard posted:

That said, things are volatile enough that I wouldn't necessarily make any decision based on what the U.S. government might do right now.

The volitility and iffyness of the whole thing is exactly why you should be cautious about buying Huawei devices in the US.

Will they be in business in the US in 6 months? No one knows!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

peepsalot posted:

Yeah I thought it was a weird feature for my Moto x4 but I guess if you are a literal child maybe it's good.

Do you actually think that the average adult can comfortably hold a phone the size of the X4 and reach every corner of the screen with their thumb?

Having said that, it does seem to shrink too much by default.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

The volitility and iffyness of the whole thing is exactly why you should be cautious about buying Huawei devices in the US.

Will they be in business in the US in 6 months? No one knows!

I agree, but there's probably an "eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we die" counter-argument to be made, too.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So my S8 kept occasionally rebooting. I guess it was a sign, because it's fukken dead now. :saddowns:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
It is booting again, but the radio is on the fritz. I'm just looking to upgrade away from CRAP to something newer, hoping the radio firmware is newer and fixes my poo poo. What I found is that there's plenty of sites that offer the firmware images, but want you to get a paid subscription to their site. I guess that's the sorry state software support for Samsung is in.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

See if the system image is available on xda, there are often system dumps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Combat Pretzel posted:

It is booting again, but the radio is on the fritz. I'm just looking to upgrade away from CRAP to something newer, hoping the radio firmware is newer and fixes my poo poo. What I found is that there's plenty of sites that offer the firmware images, but want you to get a paid subscription to their site. I guess that's the sorry state software support for Samsung is in.

https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/

Download the latest firmware there for free and flash it using Odin

https://samsungodin.com/