Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
My favorite bit of CK1 was how your deceased family members could go through the process of becoming saints - I’m glad that is finally coming over to ck2, it feels long overdue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

My favorite bit of CK1 was how your deceased family members could go through the process of becoming saints - I’m glad that is finally coming over to ck2, it feels long overdue.

I still remember the one decent game I played of CK1 where I became enraged that what was basically my Evil Aunt who had repeatedly tried to assassinate me so my cousin could take the throne was beatified when she finally died. Honestly thats basically the only thing I really DO remember from playing CK1, they Beatified the Bitch Aunt... :argh:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 31, 2018

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I forgot about how hosed up old paradox maps used to be. Just squiggle some shapes that vaguely resemble Europe and you're good to go.

The northwest shift in Africa and how they had to nudge large parts of the the western and eastern parts of the map to make it work was :psyduck:

I wonder if this was just a weird stylistic decision or if they had to shrink the Mediterranean due to map size limitations in the engine or something.

It's maps like that that make me appreciate that Imperator's map will just be a slice of a globe.

I really like the Scottish isthmus.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Wanting to play with the Imperator: Rome UI a little, I made the quickest, most dirtiest of edits by adding some tiles in the background. What do you think?

Edit: Paradox goons: Does Platipvs bark when he pops up? Because I think he should.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

looks like massalia starts with three colonies/city states on your map, that's cool

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

ExtraNoise posted:

Wanting to play with the Imperator: Rome UI a little, I made the quickest, most dirtiest of edits by adding some tiles in the background. What do you think?

UI design's all Greek to me.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Gantolandon posted:

Dude, no. CKDV had some mechanics that barely worked - like assassinations, which the AI used only in retaliation, or the proto-estates that had no effect on gameplay at all. Its diplomacy was a hot mess, there were no alliances at all, the Holy Roman Empire would always fragment completely within 50 years and crusades were a swarm of Christian lords individually declaring wars on some poor sheikh that happened to hold Jerusalem. It was a game where it was actually impossible to punish a disloyal vassal, because you couldn't imprison or execute anyone. CK2 was a much better game even after release.

My favorite part of CK1 crusades was that you just seized infidel territory outright, you never needed a peace treaty. So you ended up with most crusades ending in weird territory swaps as each side tried to grab as much land as possible, ignoring each other's armies. Almost ever Crusade I saw ended with the Crusaders seizing their goal but losing their own home kingdom to a rogue Muslim army that decided to respond in kind...

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

so in other words, ck: diplomacy? (but single-player, so no ruined friendships)

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Phlegmish posted:

I loved the Victoria I soundtrack even though it was a zero effort rip of public domain classical songs from the 19th century

I’m going to share a secret with you guys: modern Paradox music puts me to sleep. I play Victoria 2 and CK2 with their predecessors’ soundtracks

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I don't think I've made it past 20 hours of gameplay without spotify or youtube music channels playing in the background.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ExtraNoise posted:

Edit: Paradox goons: Does Platipvs bark when he pops up? Because I think he should.
The bathhouse aesthetic is a great idea. Did a quick mockup, tried to make the icons pop a bit more.

I think you're on to something with tiles, though patterns might be a bit hard to include if you want the icons to stand out - at least for the main bar, you might be able to fit patterns in on the various screens. Obviously needs some work to really come together, but I think it has more potential for ease of use/readability than plain marble.

I went for Roman colors, but now I wonder if you couldn't have a variety of options - for flavor, and for various types of color blindness.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 13:09 on May 31, 2018

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I think my problem with the UI is that the icons pop out too much, if anything. That string of prominent big buttons against the marble UI draws the eye too much, it’s the kind of contrast you normally see in an alert that’s supposed to draw your attention rather than something that’ll be there permanently.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah they seem overcomplicated, I want simpler icons that I can tell at a glance what they are. I'd rather have a sword for a military tab rather than some legionaries screaming.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Koramei posted:

I think my problem with the UI is that the icons pop out too much, if anything. That string of prominent big buttons against the marble UI draws the eye too much, it’s the kind of contrast you normally see in an alert that’s supposed to draw your attention rather than something that’ll be there permanently.
You mean the big ones hanging underneath the bar? Agreed, they do draw the eye, a lot. I think a lot of that comes from the smaller icons on top being so subdued, but the gold fringed, high saturation icons do push everything else into the background.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Yeah they seem overcomplicated, I want simpler icons that I can tell at a glance what they are. I'd rather have a sword for a military tab rather than some legionaries screaming.

maybe the button is for specifically screaming legionaires

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Prav posted:

maybe the button is for specifically screaming legionaires

13! 13!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
But what about the "This is SPARTA" meme??

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

DrSunshine posted:

But what about the "This is SPARTA" meme??

Different icons for every religious group, obv. Romans get Mars screaming, Greeks have Athena kicking Ares into a pit.

Any guesses on what they do? Government, Military, Religion, Economy, Diplomacy and Characters all seem obvious, and I guess Janus might be intrigue, but that leaves, uh, Jupiter and Vulcan? Vulcan might be infrastructure.

e: Or tech, poo poo. Maybe the pink one is tech and it's Jupiter that's government?

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I have to admit, i like both of those better than what Paradox is going with.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The bathhouse aesthetic is a great idea. Did a quick mockup, tried to make the icons pop a bit more.

I think you're on to something with tiles, though patterns might be a bit hard to include if you want the icons to stand out - at least for the main bar, you might be able to fit patterns in on the various screens. Obviously needs some work to really come together, but I think it has more potential for ease of use/readability than plain marble.

I went for Roman colors, but now I wonder if you couldn't have a variety of options - for flavor, and for various types of color blindness.

I love this. The tiles really work framing everything.

Koramei posted:

I really like the little art in each one. :(

It would be a shame if they gave that up, but in my mind I could also see small fresco-style images there instead. The more muted colors would probably help with them popping too much.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

That's a big improvement on the flat, stark marble.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

So apparently I can get Rome gold for $2.50 right now. Worth it, if I've never played anything Paradox older than CK2, or is it just going to drive me crazy with an ancient ui?

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Wolfechu posted:

So apparently I can get Rome gold for $2.50 right now. Worth it, if I've never played anything Paradox older than CK2, or is it just going to drive me crazy with an ancient ui?

It's a bad game.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
It's only a bad game in context of having more modern games to play. Almost all the changes from EU3 to EU:Rome were good ones, it's just unfortunate that two of the changes were really bad (Europe being mostly empty provinces you have to colonise, and the trade system requiring you to make new trade deals every time the AI gets a bee up its rear end about something)

E: To clarify, don't play it unless you are OK with theoretically good but slightly tedious game mechanics and dated UI

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 2, 2018

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

RabidWeasel posted:

It's only a bad game in context of having more modern games to play. Almost all the changes from EU3 to EU:Rome were good ones, it's just unfortunate that two of the changes were really bad (Europe being mostly empty provinces you have to colonise, and the trade system requiring you to make new trade deals every time the AI gets a bee up its rear end about something)

Fair enough, I'll stick to the newer stuff. I have trouble even liking Vicky 2, let alone something older.

Wolfechu fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 2, 2018

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

most people have trouble liking vicky 2, that's kidna the problem

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Anything before CK2 is an impenetrable morass of poorly documented mechanics and a UI that can be best described as user hostile.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Remember the good old days of EU3 when you had annual income and expenses and monthly income and expenses and it was real easy to miscalculate and accidentally end up with a deficit come the New Year?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I get so much poo poo on the pdox forums for suggesting that european technological domination wrt asia was neither inevitable nor overwhelming in the eu4 time period.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tomn posted:

Remember the good old days of EU3 when you had annual income and expenses and monthly income and expenses and it was real easy to miscalculate and accidentally end up with a deficit come the New Year?
Did it have a worse system than "My liege we were two ducats short but don't worry we took out a loan of a thousand and have to pay hundreds in interest."?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

RabidWeasel posted:

Almost all the changes from EU3 to EU:Rome were good ones, it's just unfortunate that two of the changes were really bad (Europe being mostly empty provinces you have to colonise, and the trade system requiring you to make new trade deals every time the AI gets a bee up its rear end about something)

I think the change I appreciated most in EU:R was with the idea system. Specifically that, while you might not have access to every possible idea at the outset, you had a full suite of slots, so you could give your nation a defined identity from day one, instead of starting off boring and getting more interesting as the game progresses.

They went in a completely different direction with EU4's ideas, so I'm curious where they're planning on going with it this time.

Also: I reinstalled EU:R for a bit after the announcement. Figured this time I'd sit down and work out how to get Wiz's mod working, play the good version of the game.

So after a couple of hours putting those ducks in a row it turns out that I have not in fact ever played Rome without RoA installed, and what I thought was the baseline was in fact the good version :shepface:

I'm breaking out in sweats imagining how vanilla could possibly be worse

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Add asia beyond the Indus all the way to Japan in Rome but just add it as a single one province that takes forever to cross, fort level 5, Pagan religion with a permanent 100% religious zeal modifier and trades in fish for 2.0 income per month.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

lol

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Autonomous Monster posted:

I'm breaking out in sweats imagining how vanilla could possibly be worse

:shepicide:

Probably the only time in a Paradox game where "there aren't enough provinces" was actually a reasonable complaint

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i'm still waiting for the logical leap of 1 pixel = 1 province

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Poil posted:

Did it have a worse system than "My liege we were two ducats short but don't worry we took out a loan of a thousand and have to pay hundreds in interest."?

It's been a long time and my knowledge of the details might be off, but as I recall you had monthly and annual income, BUT monthly income didn't actually go into your treasury - instead, it went to your tech development, so a high monthly income means you do well in tech but it doesn't necessarily do anything for your treasury. Meanwhile, you DID have monthly EXPENSES, so all throughout the year you bleed a bit of money every month until you got to the New Year, when you got a big lump sum to tide you over the next year.

And if you miscalculated or spent too much midway through the year and ran out of money? Tough titties. That's when the loans hit you.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
I remember that, what an absurd mechanic. I think you could take some of that monthly revenue as cash and it would cause inflation.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

:shepicide:

Probably the only time in a Paradox game where "there aren't enough provinces" was actually a reasonable complaint

Needs a great big SKELETONS across Europe.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Poil posted:

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

I remember that, what an absurd mechanic. I think you could take some of that monthly revenue as cash and it would cause inflation.
You could take all of it, but yeah, you'd accrue inflation and not progress your technology. Also, you'd still end up eating a loan exactly like now, it was just easier to do accidentally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

New tweet from Johan teasing tomorrow's dev diary:

https://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/1003165053959507968

Attached is a new screenshot:

I really, really like the 3D flag draped over the top of the UI in the corner. I am anxious to go around looking at all the flags in the game.

Also, more Platipvs!