Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I recently bought the Dark Imperium starter box for 40K. I haven't played since 3rd Ed, and don't really know how to go about expanding my new Space Marine army. You get 2x Intercessor Squads, 1x Inceptor Squad, 1x Hellblaster Squad, 1x Primaris Ancient, 2x Primaris Lieutenants & 1x Captain in Gravis Armour. Ideally, I'd like to get a new troop in order to get them up to the minimum standard for Battalions. What do people recommend? A tactical squad perhaps? Maybe another Intercessor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Scouts or another box of Intercessors.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gunder posted:

I recently bought the Dark Imperium starter box for 40K. I haven't played since 3rd Ed, and don't really know how to go about expanding my new Space Marine army. You get 2x Intercessor Squads, 1x Inceptor Squad, 1x Hellblaster Squad, 1x Primaris Ancient, 2x Primaris Lieutenants & 1x Captain in Gravis Armour. Ideally, I'd like to get a new troop in order to get them up to the minimum standard for Battalions. What do people recommend? A tactical squad perhaps? Maybe another Intercessor?

A lot of it will depend on what Chapter you want to play (for example if you want to play Deathwatch then you won't get Scouts), but in general Scouts are a cheap but useful filler while Intercessors are twice as expensive but harder to dislodge. Honestly I would probably grab a Intercessor Combat Squad (or 5 cheap Intercessors off of eBay if you don't care about having guys with the same pose) since the models provide a decent amount of points and personally I enjoy painting them.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
So the Armiger Warglaive arm sprue -- the one that separates Warglaives from Helverins -- has a little "B" in the upper left corner, opposite the corner with "© Games Workshop Limited 2017". I remember someone at some point commented on a "C" sprue that indicated we'd be getting more than just the two variants, but this was before the Helverins had been announced so I've no idea where they saw such a thing. In any case, looking closely at the picture of the Helverin arm sprue, I see no A or C anywhere.

I was really expecting to see an "A"! And sort of hoping to see a "C." But no.

Oh, well.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

My guys are going to be Ultramarines. Curiously, GW doesn't seem to sell the 5 man combat squads in the UK, just the larger 10 man squad boxes. I was kinda hoping to keep my army purely Primaris for the time being, as the mini-marines look a little strange next to the big guys. Is this at all feasible?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
It’s doable but there are some major weaknesses in an all Primaris army that don’t show up in a mixed force. Primaris are, after all, mostly characterized by their lack of tactical flexibility. If you’re willing to grab a few vehicles at some point like Predators or a Stormraven you’ll be perfectly able to compensate. If you’re doing Ultramarines Guilliman would probably be a good buy at some point down the road as well.

That’s all for the longer term of course. I would grab at least one more box of Intercessors in the near future so you can run a Battalion and then just pick stuff that looks fun or cool. Everything in the Primaris range is very usable so you really can’t go wrong.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Gunder posted:

have you considered a minimum strength guard battalion and a shadowsword? how about some custard captains on their hover bananas?

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
Hobbies include poetry, galactic diplomacy, blood for the blood god

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I really like the Jokaero Weaponsmith because it's a weird looking monkey, it's the perfect unit to paint weird googly eyes on, I kind of want an inquisition detachment, and it seems to contradict the lore (a xeno in the inquisition?). What codex is this guy in? What do I need to run this with space marines? I grabbed an Inquisitor Greyfax today, I'm guessing she's inquisition HQ.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Necrons are dope but I built 10 Immortals and an Overlord today and neither one of them did anything worthwhile god DAMMIT but I still won because Wraiths are impossibly good

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Ghazk posted:

Hobbies include poetry, galactic diplomacy, blood for the blood god

Hobbies include sitting in a box on sprues for a few months because the guy who bought us couldn't figure out what to do with us.

Then Deathwatch got a codex and it all made sense :metal:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Playing my first game of 8th edition and first game of 40k in 7 or 8 years. Wish my luck duders, 1500pts of hive fleet gorgon vs death guard.

Poison aliens vs guys who are made of poison, what could go wrong?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

PaintVagrant posted:

Playing my first game of 8th edition and first game of 40k in 7 or 8 years. Wish my luck duders, 1500pts of hive fleet gorgon vs death guard.

Poison aliens vs guys who are made of poison, what could go wrong?

Other than everything? Not much. Have fun dude!

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Booley posted:

Their explanation for LED vs other bulbs is completely wrong. An LED bulb with exposed diodes and a daylight bulb with clear glass and an exposed filament will both have the same issue of the light being too hard, and a frosted LED bulb or tungsten bulb will look the same.

This LED bulb will look totally fine

This LED bulb will be too harsh

This daylight bulb will also look too harsh

But this tungsten bulb will look fine

However, on all of these you probably want a sheet of parchment paper between the bulb and the model. The reason shadows are soft/hard is the relative size of the light source, and diffusing it through paper will increase the relative size. As you can imagine, the frosted bulbs do the same thing of diffusing and increasing the size of the light source as the tracing paper, though they don't get as big.

E: For reference, this is my light setup. The two lights are roughly 24x36.

This is a hell of a look behind the curtain. Thanks.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
Decided to get into this after hearing about 8th edition and being in the mood for some model painting and tabletop gaming recently; I built gunpla and played a bit of battletech back in high school but nowadays I'm completely out of touch on Gundam and tabletop Battletech is a hellish morass of charts even if you can find other players.

I picked up the No Know Fear set to start out, as it looked like a good intro to the game while being small enough to easily carry it around/use it to tempt less grognardy friends into some beerhammer. I'm painting up the Space Marines as Dark Angels instead of Ultramarines, because the Dark Angels are cooler. What would be better for an actual first army, continuing to build on the Dark Angels or setting up an AdMech force?

If I went Dark Angels, would it be best to start off to expand upon my Primaris dudes by grabbing some ravenwing and deathwing squads, then supplementing with a dreadknought and a couple of vehicles?

Alternatively, for Admech, should I grab the Skitarii box, Kataphron Destroyers, 2 sets of Kastelans, a Tech-Priest Enginseer, and the new Armiger Helverins for a decent ~2000 point army?

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
If you go Admech, splurging Forgebane or picking up the Admech half on eBay are your most efficient options. You can always buy an Armiger kit later and give all 3 some better arms from the new kit.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Preem Palver posted:

Decided to get into this after hearing about 8th edition and being in the mood for some model painting and tabletop gaming recently; I built gunpla and played a bit of battletech back in high school but nowadays I'm completely out of touch on Gundam and tabletop Battletech is a hellish morass of charts even if you can find other players.

I picked up the No Know Fear set to start out, as it looked like a good intro to the game while being small enough to easily carry it around/use it to tempt less grognardy friends into some beerhammer. I'm painting up the Space Marines as Dark Angels instead of Ultramarines, because the Dark Angels are cooler. What would be better for an actual first army, continuing to build on the Dark Angels or setting up an AdMech force?

If I went Dark Angels, would it be best to start off to expand upon my Primaris dudes by grabbing some ravenwing and deathwing squads, then supplementing with a dreadknought and a couple of vehicles?

Alternatively, for Admech, should I grab the Skitarii box, Kataphron Destroyers, 2 sets of Kastelans, a Tech-Priest Enginseer, and the new Armiger Helverins for a decent ~2000 point army?

Honestly which looks more fun to paint, and looks like a fun force for you? That's probably the most important part; the Imperium forces are so flexible that you can mix and match pretty much whatever you want.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Preem Palver posted:

Dark Angels or Ad Mech would both be fine, so go with what you think is cooler. For Ad Mech you definitely want all those things except the Kataphrons, which are cool but not as good as equal of their points in either more Kastelans or Onager Dunecrawlers. For Dark Angels, the Dark Talon planes are awesome and unique to them, and my friend also likes using a big block of Inceptors with some character support to deliver an absolute world of pain to people.

Honestly 40k is in a pretty good state for just picking whatever faction you think is coolest and building on them. Also, with the way allies work now allowing you to mix factions based on some very high level keywords (Imperium being the relevant one here), you can easily do both and run DA/Ad Mech together.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

SteelMentor posted:

Have a video of Duncan gushing about Knights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL5th4GVWAE

I love how happy he is

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
I finished painting an Eversor Assassin.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
I love everything about it. Great conversion, great paint job.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

JackMack posted:

I love everything about it. Great conversion, great paint job.

:same:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
e: ^^^ That's a cool assassin man

:pcgaming::pcgaming::pcgaming:TRIP REPORT:pcgaming::pcgaming::pcgaming:

Last weekend I and a pair of mates headed to a GW for a 10 man 1250 point tournament. The big FLGS that used to be the hub of all gaming activity had up and died a year ago and, in an effort to start and rebuild the scene, the nearby GW manager wanted to test the waters with a small tourney. It was the manager's first 40k tournament and due to size restrictions we only had 4’x4’ tables but it went pretty well. Trying to squeeze 4 games each into 10 hours was a bridge too far though with most games barely getting through T3. Despite being exhausted by the end fun was had by all and the dudes that attended were all pretty cool and good.

Being a GW tournament we were using rulebook/CA stuff with only prizes for Best General, Best Painted and Best Sportsman. General was awarded on total VP (which would have been nice to know in advance), Painted on blind voting with extra points awarded by the staff, and Sportsman appeared to be based on a vote I missed. There's a reason nearly everyone else uses different practises to these but no biggie. Games were fun, was good to meet new hams and see new armies. In the ancient tradition of tournaments though out of 4 rounds 2 of them were against my gaming buddies.

I took a Cadian Battalion and a Tallarn Spearhead:
  • Company commander with Grand Strategist and Laurels
  • Primaris Psyker with Nightshroud and Maelstrom
  • Lieutenant with Kurov's
  • 2x Infantry squad w bolter and flamer
  • 2x Infantry squad w bolter and plasma
  • HWS w mortars
  • HWS w lascannon
  • Command Executioner with plasma and lascannon
  • 2x LRBT with 3 heavy bolters
  • Punisher with 3 heavy bolters
  • Hydra

Round 1: Retrieval Mission vs Necrons - Dawn of War

First opponent of the day brought a solid block of robot nerds. List was:
  • Imotekh
  • Cryptek with Veil and Chronometron
  • 16 Warriors
  • 10 Immortals with Blasters
  • 10 Immortals with Tesla
  • 5 Destroyers
  • Stalker with THGC

He set up in the usual cube with the Stalker in the middle ready to get it on, and looked like I shot his dog when I got first turn and he failed to seize. First turn I blew the Stalker up and it exploded, putting mortal wounds on every other unit he had. Imotekh got pissed off and stormed half a squad of Guardsmen off the table and damaged a few other vehicles. Return Tesla fire savaged some poor saps but Take Cover helped them weather that storm. The other bastards that caught a volley of blaster fire weren't so lucky.

He tried to move up the table towards me but I was focus firing the hell out of his dudes. Guardsmen were dying by the dozen but each turn saw another Necron unit wiped out. Bottom of T3 had only his characters and Tesla Immortals left and me within reach of all 4 objectives so we called it a bit early. Was a great dude to play but I really knocked the wind out of his sails. Next game he had he ended up tabling his opponent and a couple other guys had trouble dealing with his list so he ended up having a good day.

Game 2: No Mercy vs Necrons - Front Line Assault

My friend Russ and I squared off over a nice sculpted plastic board that looked gorgeous but was a gigantic pain the the rear end to play on. Russ was running a similar Necron list to the last guy only with no Tesla Immortals and no Imotekh but with with 3 destroyers, a heavy destroyer, a Veil Lord, another squad of Warriors and 2x3 scarabs.

He got the first turn and zoomed some dudes around and moved forward. Being No Mercy and such a small board we geared up for a slugging match. His fire was a bit disparate and knocked a few wounds off my armor but nothing decisive. My return fire started out equally unfocused and by the time I piled shots onto his Warrior block I couldn't wipe it out. He'd been sneaky and kept some guys from each unit in coherency but out of most of my LOS so I couldn't quite knock off the few stragglers.

Turn 2 saw his big push. Half the Warriors I'd killed got back up, the Lord veiled an Immortal squad over on my left and the Destroyers and a unit of Scarabs moved over to support them. Scarabs tried to multicharge the infantry units on the right but couldn't fit up top with the HWS and were caught in my meat shield. The flanking attack murdered the hell out of my infantry on that side then proceeded to roll 10 and 11 for their charges and finished the few survivors off in assault. The Lord then smugly consolidated into my Punisher which knocked a cheeky wound off him. This was the start of a hilarious chain of failures for this Overlord.

The Russ fell back leaving the Overlord as the closest model to half my army. My Primaris remembered he had a psychic phase and knocked another wound off the Necron Warlord with Psychic Maelstrom. My Warlord did another wound to him with his laspistol at the very edge of his range, his armor roll of 1 being CP rerolled into a 2. My remaining squads FRFSRF’d him into oblivion while my tanks cleaned up the Immortals and supporting Destroyers. A 4+ on a resurrection stratagem saw the Lord get back on his feet just in time to get bopped over the head with my Primaris’ staff which put him down for good. Up until then the game was tensely even but with Slay the Warlord and the kill points I scored from repelling his attack I was ahead and he didn't have much left to reply with. We called it at the bottom of T2 with only 20 minutes of the round left. We projected the next couple of turns and while he could score some more points by killing my infantry squads my armour could pull his infantry apart turn by turn and keep me in the lead. The Stalker hadn't done very much aside from eating a 6D lascannon shot with its Quantum Shielding and get winnowed down by battle cannon fire which was much easier to push damage through. We adjourned for lunch which was shortened to try and make up some lost time.

Game 3: The Scouring vs Dark Elves - Spearhead Assault

My other mate Tim has also gone 2-0 and I was dreading facing his army. We'd been playing each other for a few months now and his force had every ounce of fat trimmed from it. He took a Flayed Skull Battalion with the ubiquitous KOTBH Spearhead:
  • 2 barebones Archons
  • 3x5 Kabalites with Blaster
  • 2x5 Kabalites with Shredder
  • 2 Raiders with Disintegrator
  • 3 or 4 Venoms with cannon and linked rifle
  • Archon with Living Muse
  • 3 Ravagers with 2 disintegrators and 1 lance

He reserved all of his Ravagers with Screaming Jets and used the few scraps of LOS blocking terrain to try and hide his Venoms. I ended up going first but had deployed poorly and all I did was kill a Raider and reduce the other to 3 wounds. Ravagers dropped in and took out the lascannon teams and a Russ. Two blasters rolled 6 damage each and 2-shot my Punisher and half my infantry ate much more than their RDI of splinter fire and died badly. Next turn I downed a pair of Venoms and the other Raider but it was too little too late. My other Russ ate disintegrator fire and my Executioner was charged by an Archon who bailed out of the last Raider. There was a brief moment of hope as he had failed his first Shadowfield saves on his other games and I hit him with a hull lascannon on Overwatch, but he saved and I called it. We took the extra half hour to go to the pub and stretch our legs a bit. No pictures sadly because I was salty about the matchup :v:

Game 4: The Relic vs Death Guard - Search and Destroy

Tim had gone on to play the other Death Guard army that had also gone 3-0 and was getting ready to Vect the hell out of every Cloud of Flies he could. Meanwhile I had no such patronage and had to hope I could shoot all the poxwalkers that would be starting 8" away from the Relic. Fortunately for me my opponent was only on his 4th game of 40k with this army and had never fought Guard before. We ended up having a hell of a good time as we were both slightly delirious with exhaustion and wanted to have a cool fight with awesome dudes. He took:
  • Lord of Contagion
  • Malignant Plaguecaster
  • 5 Blightlord Terminators with 4 axes and a Flail
  • 7 Plague Marines with 3 plasma
  • 7 Plague Marines with 1 plasma and 2 blight launchers
  • 20 Poxwalkers
  • Helbrute with AC and scourge
  • Bloat drone with 2 spitters
  • Plagueburst Crawler

He went first but didn't get on to the Relic, throwing some bolter and psychic fire at the wall of infantry I put forward. Judicious use of To The Death and Insane Bravery had kept me from losing anyone to morale all tournament and they kept me in the game here. Crawler was back out of range of everything but the mortar and my opponent was loathe to move it. It put a few wounds on a Russ here and there but wasn't too big a deal. My turn rolls around and I kill all of his infantry save one plague marine, I advance forward and grab the Relic.

Turn 2 sees the Terminators drop to my left to threaten my back line and the Helbrute shuffles over in support. The Plaguecaster tries to salvage the situation but there are only so many Guardsmen he can kill. He rolls a 10 for his Terminators who charge into my Punisher, axes ready. Overwatch kills one on the way in and they do a grand total of 2 wounds to it. To make matters worse the Punisher knocks another wound off a Terminator when it strikes back.

My T2 sees my survivors alternatively retreating heroically with the Relic and forming a firing squad around the Plaguecaster. FRFSRF really puts out a hell of a lot of fire and has my opponent asking if I was sure I brought Guardsmen and not Orks. Punisher falls back and I kill the remaining Terminators, although the Helbrute annoyingly makes a couple of 6+ saves to largely ignore my lascannon and plasma fire. It's looking grim for my opponent but he laughs and tells me he hasn't been tabled yet today, would I be the one to do it?

Helbrute and Lord charge a tank and a HWS. Tank survives but my poor lascannon teams bite it. Next turn I get the table and kill the dreadnought and Crawler with battle cannons and drown the Lord in plasma. Great game and a lot of fun for both of us. Was running out of puff so didn't take many pictures of this one.

Ended the day 3-1, Tim scored Best General with 4-0 and I snuck away with Best Painted (I just lost Best Painted to Tim's purple elves but as he got General I scored the lesser award). Now after 2 months of solid painting and 10 hours of games I'm going to take a couple weeks off to recharge the batteries. Have some more pictures from the store’s FB page. Thanks for listening to my TED talk.

Armies:

30K Wolves with an allied Vanguard of Hellhounds

Russ' Necrons

My handsome bois

My round 4 opponent

Tim's Aelfs

A nice little Primaris army with Guilliman in a Storm Raven

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jun 3, 2018

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

So rad to see your army on the table, it looks fantastic.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO, MACHO MAN MAGNUS ONE EYE, WHEN RUSSMANIA RUNS WILD ALL OVER YOU!?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Great write-up a|w and nice to see the army getting a few games in. Well done on the Best Painted.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Corrode posted:

This is a hell of a look behind the curtain. Thanks.

Also be aware that with LEDs (and CFLs) you need to be aware of the quality of the light. This is not the same as temperature. Quality is noted as RA or CRI and is a percentage. Go for at least 90%. Below that the light will be missing quite a lot of wavelengths and results may be weird.

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER
It's cool to read that DEldar can do well still. Other than Space Wolves I haven't really been interested in painting another army, but I was worried I'd just get tabled all the time.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

HardCoil posted:

Also be aware that with LEDs (and CFLs) you need to be aware of the quality of the light. This is not the same as temperature. Quality is noted as RA or CRI and is a percentage. Go for at least 90%. Below that the light will be missing quite a lot of wavelengths and results may be weird.

Yes, I forgot to mention this. You should be aware of this for every light you ever purchase. CFL bulbs universally suck and should only be purchased as very last resort, and going from a cri of 85 to 90+ is a huge visual difference.

High cri matters more than color temperature, at least for our purposes. Your camera will compensate for color temp, but missing wavelengths of light can never be brought back.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

I used to run a small one man sewing firm, and one day I ended up sewing brown webbing on green fabric. Under the crappy CFL they looked identical, in sunlight not so much.
The same goes for painting. I would do amazing blends under the CFL, but in sunlight it looked horrible with really obvious banding.
Use good quality CFL or LEDs for basically everything.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
All that's left is another HQ and I'll have a full Battalion.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 3, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Chainclaw posted:

I really like the Jokaero Weaponsmith because it's a weird looking monkey, it's the perfect unit to paint weird googly eyes on, I kind of want an inquisition detachment, and it seems to contradict the lore (a xeno in the inquisition?). What codex is this guy in? What do I need to run this with space marines? I grabbed an Inquisitor Greyfax today, I'm guessing she's inquisition HQ.

Not every =I= is a puritan and digital weapons (in-game, not as much in-crunch) are really really cool. You’ll want Imperial Index 2 until they actually get a codex :sigh:.

The Jokaero is a good model and a funny concept but it’s painfully overcosted (but it’s not like they’re the difference between winning and losing because =I= isn’t an especially strong army).

If you like them, build them. Also get a LR Prometheus or two or three.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Space Hulk: Tactics looks interesting

https://youtu.be/2XDVDCCgguM

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Corrode posted:

Dark Angels or Ad Mech would both be fine, so go with what you think is cooler. For Ad Mech you definitely want all those things except the Kataphrons, which are cool but not as good as equal of their points in either more Kastelans or Onager Dunecrawlers. For Dark Angels, the Dark Talon planes are awesome and unique to them, and my friend also likes using a big block of Inceptors with some character support to deliver an absolute world of pain to people.

Honestly 40k is in a pretty good state for just picking whatever faction you think is coolest and building on them. Also, with the way allies work now allowing you to mix factions based on some very high level keywords (Imperium being the relevant one here), you can easily do both and run DA/Ad Mech together.

Thanks for the tips, everyone. Both look like a blast to paint and play, so it's a difficult choice. As for faction mixing, I'm now thinking that my first army will probably be mostly Dark Angels (Deathwing and Ravenwing, really) with the 2 Armiger Helverins as an auxiliary lord of war detachment. It won't have any regular troops unless the points/PL limit is huge, but using Ravenwing bikes and vehicles to harass enemy units into the firing range of a bunch of terminators and big-rear end mechs that will rain hellfire upon them sounds really fun, and characters or units like the Deathshroud should keep my relatively small infantry contingent nice and buffed.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
So here's my smug feel good hobby story for today.

I live in the UK, but have been working in the USA several times over the last year. My employer gives me a daily allowance in dollars to cover food & travel, and I've managed to build up a bit of a surplus. As this is the last week of my final trip I wanted to make the most of it. After a couple of trips to local malls I hadn't found much in the way of clothing or souvenirs worth taking home and still had most of the money left.

This morning I had the bright idea of looking up hobby shops nearby, and found a comic store whose website said they sold GW products but with little detail beyond that. As it was only 15mins from the hotel, I had a drive over. Their GW section had a lot more selection that expected, with hundreds of boxes, most paints & codexes and even a few blisters. There wasn't much for my in-progress AdMech army aside from Skitarii or a $160 knight that I'll be able to get half price in Renegade next week. I was tempted by an unopened copy of Execution Force, but I'd likely only ever use a couple of the assassins and it's a heavy box to haul back home.
Luckily for someone putting together a home 40k table, there were several boxes of sector mechanicus terrain that were no longer available from the UK web stores I normally order from. So that's how I started off my terrain collection with a promethium forge & accessories for free.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

TheBigAristotle posted:

Space Hulk: Tactics looks interesting

https://youtu.be/2XDVDCCgguM

not complaining but I'm curious how many times they've adapted Space Hulk into a video game. must be at least 3 at this point

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Booyah- posted:

not complaining but I'm curious how many times they've adapted Space Hulk into a video game. must be at least 3 at this point

Actually one of my earliest memories was playing this PC game package on my grandparents computer, it had Monkey Island 2, Populus, Zork, and this game that moved really fast (to a 7-8 year old) and had these monsters that scared the poo poo out of me and killed my dumb rear end immediately.

That game? Space Hulk.

I didn't put two and two together until I was well into my Necron army in like 4th edition

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Booyah- posted:

This'll be the third one in the space of about four years.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/06/03/pre-order-preview-march-of-the-warglaives/

Warglaive preorders next week. Freeblade special character will be available later in the year in a revamped Knight box that builds a new variant, plus all the current variants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
My wife has decided after listening to me be excited about the new Knight models all week that she’s getting me one for Father’s Day so I need to decide which variant to go with. I’m leaning heavily toward the Castellan but the Valiant looks incredibly cool as well.

What are other people who’ve been bitten by this bug thinking they’ll get? I like the Castellan since I can sit it midfield and have it completely take over fire support from the rest of my army, leaving it to hold objectives and take the fight up close. The Valiant would end up being sort of redundant but that conflagration cannon looks absolutely obscene, and the idea of harpooning a tank to death would be hilarious.