Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Binary speech checks is also a must so you do away with the percentage chance persuade options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Fallout 3/NV look so many times better without the crappy screen tint with mods like Fellout and the like

I like having blue skies and dark nights

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Vinylshadow posted:

Fallout 3/NV look so many times better without the crappy screen tint with mods like Fellout and the like

I like having blue skies and dark nights

Don't forget to light your flare!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Not going to lie, the Divide looks incredible with the Nevada Skies mod. Those sandstorms are so chaotic already and then you see the bright red flares go off right before an attack. It's intense.

Octal
Jan 30, 2003

It is haram to draw images of mythical beasts even if it never existed in reality

What do you guys think about this?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/8nx5us/fallout_3_and_fallout_new_vegas_received_large/

Fallout 3 DB: https://steamdb.info/app/22300/dlc/ New Vegas DB: https://steamdb.info/app/22380/dlc/

There's apparently a 5gb update for FO3 that has been spotted and something new for New Vegas.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Creation club for older games seems like the most likely answer.

Octal
Jan 30, 2003

It is haram to draw images of mythical beasts even if it never existed in reality

Arcsquad12 posted:

Creation club for older games seems like the most likely answer.

It's going to probably break all of the mods for both games if they do it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

There's one that un-fucks the lovely dialogue wheel and gives you the actual verbatim responses in a list format just like 3/NV, that's pretty much mandatory imho.

Yeah, that's the only mod I used, and I legit wouldn't have played the game without it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Octal posted:

Turn off steam updates and only launch via the script extenders

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Oh poo poo I'm on vacation. Oh well they probably won't release anything over the weekend

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Some games handle dialogue options well enough that you dont need all the choices written down verboten to make the player feel like tgey're in control of their character....Fallout 4 is not one of those games

There's a chat with dadboy after capturing a synth turned raider, there's a choice that has a title like "Best Outcome" that makes you think you're going to say "this sucks but I guess he was too dangerous to be let free" and instead your character gives a full-throated support for keeping synths in the Institute.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Creation club question. Is it paid mods only or do some people post their content free like on Nexus?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Arcsquad12 posted:

Creation club question. Is it paid mods only or do some people post their content free like on Nexus?
some are free but that's usually skins and not gameplay adding effects

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Don't they also periodically offer mods for free? Presumably you can keep the mod when it goes back to paid, though maybe not. Do the paid mods basically function as DLC? If you buy two paid mods that affect the same stuff are conflicts handled automatically?

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
hopefully it isn't bullshit like the update that removed unlicensed music from GTA 4.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nat King Cole getting litigious after death.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
bethesda could make a lot of money if they optimized all their games and fixed bugs

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Why do that when modders do it for free???

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Siljmonster posted:

bethesda could make a lot of money if they optimized all their games and fixed bugs

God knows they don't make a lot of money already.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i cant even figure out how to search the creation club

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Octal posted:

What does this mean for the GOG versions?

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
video games

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

No, I mean, will there be a mod schism, with everyone chasing the advancing Steam version numbers like the Fallout 4 mod mess while the GOG versions are forgotten, or will the GOG versions straight up not be for sale anymore, or ... well, what?

(The ideal is that the GOG versions remain stable and become the mod reference, or better yet that Fallout 3 and New Vegas take the one last patch and also come to rest.

And I'll also take a unicorn, and animal fries, and a shake.)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Wouldn't they go the Skyrim SE route for Creation Club implementation? There's no way you can just graft that onto a buggy decade old game without major major issues.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
According to the comments in that Reddit thread, Rage, Oblivion and even Morrowind also got an update, so it's not necessarily upcoming remasters. Might just be a cross-promotional thing.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

dont be mean to me posted:

No, I mean, will there be a mod schism, with everyone chasing the advancing Steam version numbers like the Fallout 4 mod mess while the GOG versions are forgotten, or will the GOG versions straight up not be for sale anymore, or ... well, what?

(The ideal is that the GOG versions remain stable and become the mod reference, or better yet that Fallout 3 and New Vegas take the one last patch and also come to rest.

And I'll also take a unicorn, and animal fries, and a shake.)
The GOG version of Fallout 3 continued to recieve patches and support as recently as 2017 while the Steam version still does not work in most cases with 64-bit operating systems without an unofficial EXE patch.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

2house2fly posted:

Don't they also periodically offer mods for free? Presumably you can keep the mod when it goes back to paid, though maybe not. Do the paid mods basically function as DLC? If you buy two paid mods that affect the same stuff are conflicts handled automatically?

they're basically paid dlc that's sometimes contracted out to known modders and sometimes made by Bethesda

it uses the new .esl extension which is like mini mods so unless a mod is modifying something dealing with it shouldn't effect anything (AWCR or whatever it's called didn't play well with all the armor paint job CC stuff but that's already been patched for example )

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How much does the chance for Idiot Savant go down with each intelligence point in Fallout 4? I like the spin the chance for extra xp but I can't maje gun mods because 1 intel

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Blast of Confetti posted:

How much does the chance for Idiot Savant go down with each intelligence point in Fallout 4? I like the spin the chance for extra xp but I can't maje gun mods because 1 intel

the Vault posted:

[Idiot Savant] [Notes]
  • The chance of activation for the single extra XP is (12-INT)% per event, to a minimum of 1%.
  • Without this perk, XP boost from INT ranges from 1.03 to 1.30. At rank 1, the long-term XP boost ranges from 1.257 (at INT 1) to 1.352 (at INT 10). At rank 2, the long-term XP boost ranges from 1.4832 (at INT 1) to 1.404 (at INT 10).

EDIT: Nukapedia has gone into exhaustive detail; the ideal breakpoints for rank 2 being at INT values 2 and 15+.

On the other hand, unless you're save-scumming every experience gain event or doing a fairly focused playthrough, you're probably better off with different perks.

On the ... I dunno, how good are you at grasping things with your feet... if it's the idea you like, then it's your game, go nuts. Even at 1% it'll happen plenty.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jun 3, 2018

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Arcsquad12 posted:

If you look at the mods at Bethesda.net, there are literally more than sixteen hundred free mods for Fallout 4. I haven't checked for Skyrim, because I'm not buying that game again.

They all just work, plug them into your game under the "mods" heading in the main menu. You can adjust the load order if you get really fancy with stuff.

I think some of the PC users here are used to doing it one (old fashioned manual) way, and that's fine, but it's super easy to do this stuff on the Xbone. (And, I assume, the PS4.)

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can you add stuff that isn't contained with the game already on the PS4? I know you can't on Skyrim

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think you're able to on PS4 because of the way Sony worked it out with Bethesda, no.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Even with 10 int idiot savant is worth it. install a sound replacer for it tho

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nope the sound for it is perfect

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I like the voice aspect of it
It's the other sound effects that should be replaced

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Aww man I don't wanna have to redo fallout 2 from the beginning. I reinstalled it but my saves are broke. Whatever I'll knock out 3 and then come back to it.

Do I need to mod Fallout 3 GOTY at all for quality of life or anything like that? Or can I just go straight into it?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Viva Miriya posted:

Aww man I don't wanna have to redo fallout 2 from the beginning. I reinstalled it but my saves are broke. Whatever I'll knock out 3 and then come back to it.

Do I need to mod Fallout 3 GOTY at all for quality of life or anything like that? Or can I just go straight into it?

The Unofficial Fallout 3 patch is usually a good first step which fixes a number of surface-level errors and bugs

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

The Unofficial Fallout 3 patch is usually a good first step which fixes a number of surface-level errors and bugs

Got that. Anything else? I don't wanna change the game too much, just fix anything that's off or make it prettier.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Octal posted:

What do you guys think about this?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/8nx5us/fallout_3_and_fallout_new_vegas_received_large/

Fallout 3 DB: https://steamdb.info/app/22300/dlc/ New Vegas DB: https://steamdb.info/app/22380/dlc/

There's apparently a 5gb update for FO3 that has been spotted and something new for New Vegas.

That does seem odd, because if it's just a promo thing for the new game it probably wouldn't be that big. On the other side, releasing old remasters when you have a new game coming out soonish seems like a way to dilute your own market.

Now, would I be able to resist buying a remaster of F3, even though I know I would play it for an hour and quit? Hard to say. Even though New Vegas and 4 basically improve on every facet of it in various ways, it was my first Fallout game, and nostalgia is a hell of a drug :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Viva Miriya posted:

Got that. Anything else? I don't wanna change the game too much, just fix anything that's off or make it prettier.

"Prettier" is trickier since there's plenty of mods that restore flora to the region - with mixed results (most common criticism for those kinds of mods is "why are there trees growing after a nuclear fallout resulting in a barren wasteland?")
Not my forte, so you're probably better off looking into that yourself

I keep is simple and just use Fellout to have some semblance of realism (blue skies and dark nights)
Actual iron sights for weapons instead of that half-assed zoom

Some mods will require Fallout Script Extender as well, which comes with its own separate game executable

There's also the Nexus Mod Manager which lets you better organize and update your mods (as well as switching between all the games the Nexus supports)