Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I'm not too familiar with American wrestling. What companies are even based in Florida?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Baron Corbyn posted:

I'm not too familiar with American wrestling. What companies are even based in Florida?

SHINE
Fest
Ronin
AWE

bunch of others.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I have altered my retirement plans. Pray I do not alter them any further.
Hana and Kagetsu lost the Goddesses of Stardom Tag Titles to Mayu and Saki Kashima. I think they were one defense short of the record. I'm guessing Kagetsu moves on to a bigger singles run.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TheHock posted:

Hana and Kagetsu lost the Goddesses of Stardom Tag Titles to Mayu and Saki Kashima. I think they were one defense short of the record. I'm guessing Kagetsu moves on to a bigger singles run.

Wouldn't be surprised if Kagetsu is going to go after Toni and Hana/Hazuki go for the tag belts. Then again, Hazuki/Momo is an obvious next step for Momo. Maybe Hana/Natsu?

The first round of the Tokyo Princess Cup was really fun. Would highly recommend checking out Miyu Yamashita vs. Maki Ito and Yuu vs. Reika Saiki at least.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Does Stardom World have an app on Amazon, Roku, etc? I've stopped watching WWE at all at this point outside of NXT and am happily filling the void with NJPW and other indies and I'm thinking of adding one more to the list if it's not a pain to stream to a TV.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm watching the Stardom event from two weeks back and it's my first one. Who is this woman who comes to the ring to Sandstorm because I'm pretty sure I see hundreds of her in Bristol every Friday night?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Rarity posted:

I'm watching the Stardom event from two weeks back and it's my first one. Who is this woman who comes to the ring to Sandstorm because I'm pretty sure I see hundreds of her in Bristol every Friday night?
Session Moth Martina

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

frankenfreak posted:

Session Moth Martina

She was cool. Now there's two girls singing J-pop really off-key, I hope they lose.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Really surprised you have avoided Martina so far, Rarity. And that isn't a shot but it kind is. Lots of top UK and US male indie wrestlers RT her or interact with on social media. I am surprised/bemused the gimmick has gone as far (UK, US and Japan) and has lasted this long.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

rovert posted:

Really surprised you have avoided Martina so far, Rarity. And that isn't a shot but it kind is. Lots of top UK and US male indie wrestlers RT her or interact with on social media. I am surprised/bemused the gimmick has gone as far (UK, US and Japan) and has lasted this long.

I don't delve into the indies very often so I'm not that familiar with people outside WWE/NJPW.

The J-pop singers won which made me sad but now there's a bunch of girls with scary face masks and a cute robot puppy so things are looking up

e: They've got a whole loving dance routine as well, I love them already

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Rarity posted:

I don't delve into the indies very often so I'm not that familiar with people outside WWE/NJPW.

The J-pop singers won which made me sad but now there's a bunch of girls with scary face masks and a cute robot puppy so things are looking up

e: They've got a whole loving dance routine as well, I love them already

That is Oedo Tai. They rule. Hana (the girl who has the flower as part of her mask during her entrance) is the best just because she is a very unstable person. I dunno how I feel about robot puppy right now. I don't think it beats out P-Chan (their old producer and Tam's best friend, its a stuffed panda), Kagetsu's toy firetruck, Kagetsu's fake World of STARDOM title (since the actual holder is never around, she made her own out of cardboard for a bit), or the time they brought a rice cooker with them to a press conference and a match.

Speaking of Oedo Tai however: They lost the tag titles earlier this morning. I guess it makes sense though since Hana is going on a three month excursion to Mexico.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 3, 2018

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Well that match was so good I had to go and figure out who all the people I liked were. Hana was cool but Tam was absolute fire.

Wait Hana, don't attack the referee, it's not his fault :(

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Rarity posted:

Well that match was so good I had to go and figure out who all the people I liked were. Hana was cool but Tam was absolute fire.

Wait Hana, don't attack the referee, it's not his fault :(

Erm. Hana doesn't handle losing well.

Also I'm glad Hazuki has decided to fill Hana's role of being a horrible jerk while she (Hana) is on excursion to Mexico.

https://twitter.com/0929_hazuki/status/1003026104574095360

Hazuki is pretty much Gary Oak. From Momo's post match speech when she won the Wonder of STARDOM title:

quote:

Momo: I've become the new Wonder of Stardom Champion! I've toppled Io Shirai and pried open the door to the future. But, that said, I think it would be wrong to say that Io Shirai's era is over. But the truth is: I've won, and my era has started. Io, thanks for the hard work until now.

Io: Because, until now, I've always protected that belt as the undisputed champion, I really don't want to accept this result, to be honest. I think this result signifies that Momo's determinedness exceeded my resolution to protect the belt. I put my life on the line protecting that belt, so since you took it from me, please, let it shine more than it ever has before. Going forward, I want to aim for the top again, in my own way. Thank you very much.

Momo: Io, I look forward to working with you from here on out. ((standard expression, hard to translate well, basically a sign of well-willingness going forward))
More importantly: aren't there some people here who aren't too pleased with me winning this white belt? Jungle Kyona, Hazuki, aren't you frustrated?

Kyona: Momo, there's no way I'd be pleased with you becoming a champion. I'll name myself your first challenger. The unfolding of us fighting with that white belt on the line, I think that will be most pleasing/interesting.

Hazuki: Hey you lot in Korakuen, are you feeling good?! Once more! You feeling good?! Be sure to talk smug, now will be your only chance. Anyway, since I now have these wonderful partners called Oedo Tai, I'm unbeatable. Look forward to it, won't you? Bye then!

Momo: ((Not sure about that first sentence, but it's a comeback at Hazuki. Must be something like "keep talking" or "tell them I said hi" or something like that)). Come quickly and challenge me, you two. Even if you challenge me, I'll crush you and make you into my stepping stones toward the top.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jun 3, 2018

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams

Phenix Rising posted:

Does Stardom World have an app on Amazon, Roku, etc? I've stopped watching WWE at all at this point outside of NXT and am happily filling the void with NJPW and other indies and I'm thinking of adding one more to the list if it's not a pain to stream to a TV.

Short answer: no. Long answer: in an email survey response one of the guys handling the English portion of Stardom (who I think has since left? Please correct me) kind of moaned that Stardom didn’t have the budget for anything but the low end support for Uliza, who is also the provider for a couple of other Japanese promotions and mainly handles platform delivery things. Thing is, Uliza sucks. Plus the plan Stardom is using only allows them to upload up to 2gb files so you don’t get full shows, just match by match. They don’t seem to be quick to remedy the problem so Stardom World is kind of stuck in a mire and only available on PC (you can’t even fake it in a PS4 browser).

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Io/Momo was very good but slightly hurt by the fact I've watched about 15 matches just like it over the last two weeks thanks to BOSJ. It was technically proficient but didn't bring anything new to the table.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Auritech posted:

Short answer: no. Long answer: in an email survey response one of the guys handling the English portion of Stardom (who I think has since left? Please correct me) kind of moaned that Stardom didn’t have the budget for anything but the low end support for Uliza, who is also the provider for a couple of other Japanese promotions and mainly handles platform delivery things. Thing is, Uliza sucks. Plus the plan Stardom is using only allows them to upload up to 2gb files so you don’t get full shows, just match by match. They don’t seem to be quick to remedy the problem so Stardom World is kind of stuck in a mire and only available on PC (you can’t even fake it in a PS4 browser).

Yeah that survey was ran by the old English PR guy for STARDOM. He got fired because he was batshit insane. As for the Uliza stuff, that is correct. They run on a shoestring budget. Rossy and Sonny have come out several times outright admitting that there is a lot of stuff they want to do, but can't. Upgrading STARDOM World is one of them. Another goal they wanted to do is run an actual show in the US. But work visas are incredibly expensive, roughly $2000-$3000 per person apparently.

The only company willing to pay that right now is ROH, and the ROH/STARDOM partnership is utter cancer. Which is probably why Rossy has been seen at WWE events lately. He wants a working relationship with WWE. I imagine if that ever came to fruition, they would let STARDOM run a show at Axcess during Summerslam or Wrestlemania weekend.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Rarity posted:

Io/Momo was very good but slightly hurt by the fact I've watched about 15 matches just like it over the last two weeks thanks to BOSJ. It was technically proficient but didn't bring anything new to the table.

If you want to see a really fantastic and different style of match from Io this year. Check this one from Sendai Girls out. She's facing Meiko Satomura who has twenty years on Momo and is among the very best wrestlers in the world so it's not a fair comparison and the Momo match was great too, but this is probably my favourite match this year so far. I have it saved on my phone and it lasts about as long as my train journey to work so I've seen it several times already.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rarity posted:

As noted, that's Session Moth Martina, and as I gather, that is almost exactly what her gimmick is supposed to be, except swap Bristol for Dublin.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

DM Punk posted:

Sal Hamaoui

He's the part owner of WWN as well, right?

Seem to recall his main business is/was DVD printing back in the day, which presumably isn't doing too well now... Also something about his wife and child being killed in a car accident or something?

Let me guess though, he's dating Candy Cartwright? Her Shine push is the most inexplicable thing I've seen in a while.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Auritech posted:

Well, that stinks. Thanks for the details!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

before my Chromebit blew up, I was using that to watch Stardom. Had to use a browser emulator plug for Chrome because Uliza didn't like the version of Chrome or something. Uliza is real crap.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

coconono posted:

before my Chromebit blew up, I was using that to watch Stardom. Had to use a browser emulator plug for Chrome because Uliza didn't like the version of Chrome or something. Uliza is real crap.

Don't worry, Uliza will finally implement HTML 5 and other modern website features (as of 2018) in 2027 when we have HTML 7 or something. Japanese web development is an absolute mess.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I have altered my retirement plans. Pray I do not alter them any further.

DarkstarIV posted:

The only company willing to pay that right now is ROH, and the ROH/STARDOM partnership is utter cancer. Which is probably why Rossy has been seen at WWE events lately. He wants a working relationship with WWE. I imagine if that ever came to fruition, they would let STARDOM run a show at Axcess during Summerslam or Wrestlemania weekend.

Not that SHIMMER is the bastion of financial responsibility or deep pockets, but I've always wondered why they don't have a better working relationship. They share the same international talent pool and both work closely with RISE (extremely closely in Shimmer's case) and Melissa (is/was) working for them as well. It seems like that would be as good a place as any to get some American exposure and joshi are almost always well received at SHIMMER, but the only joshi we ever get over here are freelancers.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

TheHock posted:

Not that SHIMMER is the bastion of financial responsibility or deep pockets, but I've always wondered why they don't have a better working relationship. They share the same international talent pool and both work closely with RISE (extremely closely in Shimmer's case) and Melissa (is/was) working for them as well. It seems like that would be as good a place as any to get some American exposure and joshi are almost always well received at SHIMMER, but the only joshi we ever get over here are freelancers.

Probably because STARDOM doesn't want to send over only one or two people. They probably want to send over most of their champions. Also RISE is going over to Japan soon to do a show with STARDOM. I think Rossy is averse to working any closer with RISE though, due to the fact that RISE also has VERY close ties with Impact now. And Tessa Blanchard is one of Impact's biggest names right now. And she's pretty much been banned from ever working with STARDOM talent again due to a pretty major incident during her last tour with the company. Basically she has a lot of bad blood with the STARDOM locker room to the point of where a lot of the STARDOM talent will refuse to work with her if she's involved in any shape or form.

It also doesn't help when Callis goes on twitter asking if Io Shirai can do flippy stuff/lucha stuff. :v:

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 3, 2018

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams

DarkstarIV posted:

Don't worry, Uliza will finally implement HTML 5 and other modern website features (as of 2018) in 2027 when we have HTML 7 or something. Japanese web development is an absolute mess.

I can corroborate this, my wife works in web design and she often has to buy books and study techniques and then implement features herself because the engineers won’t do it. One company she worked for didn’t even have mobile scaling support in 2014— by which time everyone was using mobile devices. It hasn’t gotten better since then.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Auritech posted:

I can corroborate this, my wife works in web design and she often has to buy books and study techniques and then implement features herself because the engineers won’t do it. One company she worked for didn’t even have mobile scaling support in 2014— by which time everyone was using mobile devices. It hasn’t gotten better since then.

Fighting a similar battle with a project I'm working on at the moment. The client wants all of this outdated, bad UX because she finds it "quirky". It's exhausting.

Maybe if enough goons get together we can build a better Stardom World in exchange for subscriptions!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Mio Shirai is going to be the referee for Io/Meiko/Hiroyo at Fortune Dream

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/1003895789775568896

How ironic.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
wow does she still have to serve community service?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The Sendai Girls streaming service has launched with a free show

https://twitter.com/satomurameiko/status/1004204259968090112?s=19

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Someone should really establish a general streaming service for Japan because between this, Stardom World and all those other Joshi promotions, that's a dent on the wallet.

Yo...she is bleeding in this first match! What the what, man.

TV Zombie fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 6, 2018

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/BBCBreakfast/status/1004689244336648192

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Viper's so awesome.

Stardom has a Trios tournament running now. Matches are up.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Hana has a new hairstyle for her Mexico tour and I do not like it. At all.

https://twitter.com/mainman25toro/status/1004785128684613633

Also: https://www.instagram.com/p/BjvQWeZg1bm/?hl=en (she's hanging out with Sexy Star)

:chloe:

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 7, 2018

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

That association with Sexy Star is more troubling.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

TV Zombie posted:

That association with Sexy Star is more troubling.

Yeah. I cannot understate how terrible of an idea/decision that was on behalf of Hana. I really hope it doesn't come back to bite her in the rear end later.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Hana last seen chasing after a cartel member with a Pfizer branded baseball bat.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Oh yeah, not sure how much pull Cody has, but he's stated in the past he doesn't want anyone in ROH who is friends with Sexy Star. So if he has any pull at all, its pretty likely Hana gets barred from wrestling there.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I really hope that association doesn't condemn people. Sometimes we can be good people but just have lovely friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Tessa vs Mia Yim. REALLY good match from a couple weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLP_59gy27o