Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Bet it's just their card suppliers running out of singles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Owen got rolled. You definitely want to be on the Mono Red side of that matchup.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Challenge for the thread: build a deck that beats all three of these builds of RB Aggro, RB Midrange, and Monored Aggro, ignoring the rest of the format.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Speaking of red in Standard, how likely is Chandra TOD's price to drop once she rotates out? I want to pick up a pair for Modern and am debating whether or not I want to wait another year(?) to do so for only marginal savings. I'm trying to draw a comparison to Gideon AoZ, another 4-mana walker that saw Standard play and whose price fell off post-rotation, but I feel like Chandra maybe sees a little more play in Modern so it's not a perfect match. Thoughts?

Marketing New Brain posted:

Also this isn't about chainwhirler specifically, just the most WOTC poo poo I've ever seen.

https://twitter.com/BloodbraidElf/status/1003230528504463360

I have this same complaint about MTGGoldfish (who may be getting names from WotC for all I know). Half of the pages for the different decklists they post are just named based on the colors of mana used in the deck. Like why do you have multiple pages called "W" on the Modern side when they are either D&T or Martyr Proc, and you also have an actual archetype page named Death & Taxes?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Challenge for the thread: build a deck that beats all three of these builds of RB Aggro, RB Midrange, and Monored Aggro, ignoring the rest of the format.

I still think UW is your best bet

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

UR Conjecture. All counters and burn. Take everything out till you are double casting lightening strikes and fight with fires to the face.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

My instinct is some sort of UB controlrange. Both have decent spells stapled on passable bodies, so it should be able to stall until the Scarab God hits the field and starts eating through the red graveyard.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Edit; the speculation is good but 75s are even better!

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 3, 2018

anglachel
May 28, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Speaking of red in Standard, how likely is Chandra TOD's price to drop once she rotates out? I want to pick up a pair for Modern and am debating whether or not I want to wait another year(?) to do so for only marginal savings. I'm trying to draw a comparison to Gideon AoZ, another 4-mana walker that saw Standard play and whose price fell off post-rotation, but I feel like Chandra maybe sees a little more play in Modern so it's not a perfect match. Thoughts?

Chandra will probably stay above 20 for awhile.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Chandra sees reasonable play in Legacy and some play in Modern so she's not going to truly crater

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Edit; the speculation is good but 75s are even better!

2xBlink of an Eye
2xSyncopate
3xSeal Away
3xEssence Scatter
1xNegate
2xSearch for Azcanta
1xGideon of the Trials
4xDisallow
2xCast Out
4xSettle the Wreckage
1xCommit//Memory
4xTeferi, Hero of Dominaria
3xFumigate
2xPull from Tomorrow

4xIrrigated Farmland
4xGlacial Fortress
3xIpnu Rivulet
4xField of Ruin
6xPlains
5xIsland

Sideboard:
1xGideon of the Trials
2xSorcerous Spyglass
2xAuthority of the Consuls
1xAether Meltdown
3xHistory of Benalia
3xInvoke the Divine
3xNegate

This is my current decklist I'm working on. Settle+Seal Away+Cast Out give you a bunch of exile effects to deal with your opponents recursive threats while Fumigate can clear the board of their normal creature flood. Authority of the Consuls out of the sideboard is something I feel is underrated in the matchup since it turns off haste, delays their ability to crew their heart of kiran with creatures and opens up creatures to an immediate Seal Away. Pretty stock list overall though.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Thanks a ton. Building the deck and even missing a few pieces, I can compete and win a fair bit.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If your local meta looks anything like the pro tour, you could consider pre-boarding against aggro.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
LOL @ Trying to angle shoot Ragavan. You lost bro.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

mcmagic posted:

LOL @ Trying to angle shoot Ragavan. You lost bro.

yeah that was like such a eyeroll move, poo poo happens dude just live with it

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

What a game 5! After they both just got rolled in the other 4, too.

Pinto being a poo poo at the end only makes it that much sweeter.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

That minute at the end of the match was everything that is great and everything that is horseshit about competitive magic.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
That flabbergasted look on his face at the Glorybringer top deck was great. Too bad he had to go for the angle shoot right after

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Siivola posted:

My instinct is some sort of UB controlrange. Both have decent spells stapled on passable bodies, so it should be able to stall until the Scarab God hits the field and starts eating through the red graveyard.

How do you beat Arguel's Blood Fast from the RB deck?

mcmagic posted:

That minute at the end of the match was everything that is great and everything that is horseshit about competitive magic.

Isn't Pinto friends or teammates or something with Marcio Carvalho?

Pinto attacked poorly for four turns and allowed his opponent to topdeck sequencially - Pinto had two instant-win five drops and was at 21, he should have made different plays. He could have just flooded the board and used Pia Nalaar's falter ability to stop his opponent from attacking through fear of being unable to block. Then he was a little poo poo at the end.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Dehtraen posted:

That flabbergasted look on his face at the Glorybringer top deck was great. Too bad he had to go for the angle shoot right after

Didn't get to watch any of the PT today, what happened with the angle shoot?

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

AnEdgelord posted:

2xBlink of an Eye
2xSyncopate
3xSeal Away
3xEssence Scatter
1xNegate
2xSearch for Azcanta
1xGideon of the Trials
4xDisallow
2xCast Out
4xSettle the Wreckage
1xCommit//Memory
4xTeferi, Hero of Dominaria
3xFumigate
2xPull from Tomorrow

4xIrrigated Farmland
4xGlacial Fortress
3xIpnu Rivulet
4xField of Ruin
6xPlains
5xIsland

Sideboard:
1xGideon of the Trials
2xSorcerous Spyglass
2xAuthority of the Consuls
1xAether Meltdown
3xHistory of Benalia
3xInvoke the Divine
3xNegate

This is my current decklist I'm working on. Settle+Seal Away+Cast Out give you a bunch of exile effects to deal with your opponents recursive threats while Fumigate can clear the board of their normal creature flood. Authority of the Consuls out of the sideboard is something I feel is underrated in the matchup since it turns off haste, delays their ability to crew their heart of kiran with creatures and opens up creatures to an immediate Seal Away. Pretty stock list overall though.

Well until that Pro- tour I was on

- 1 essance scatter
- 1 negate
-1 pull

+2 approach
+1 cast out

And Baral in the SB.

Probably need to rework the SB now as not having 3 Authority in the SB is gonna be hell for a bit.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Didn't get to watch any of the PT today, what happened with the angle shoot?

The loser tried to say that his opponent missed the trigger to create Ragavan when he attacked with Keri Zev.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

lol the angle shooter Goncalo Pinto has been friend with cheater Marcio Carvalho for 15 years, big fuckin' surprise

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

mcmagic posted:

The loser tried to say that his opponent missed the trigger to create Ragavan when he attacked with Keri Zev.

I don't play live but unlike the can't attack clause on Hazoret due to cards, with Ragavan once Keri Zev attacks it's actually on both players to remember to resolve the trigger, right? Who the gently caress would try and pull that with everyone watching lol.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

He had to know he was dead to Glorybringer from the top, I refuse to believe that he didn't do the math beforehand. Tough luck but lmao at angle shooting poor Ragavan

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Here is the clip of the last turn for those who missed it.
https://clips.twitch.tv/AbstruseImpossibleLEDSeemsGood

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Tainen posted:

Here is the clip of the last turn for those who missed it.
https://clips.twitch.tv/AbstruseImpossibleLEDSeemsGood

There is absolutely no way Pinto could claim that to be a missed token trigger.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I don't play live but unlike the can't attack clause on Hazoret due to cards, with Ragavan once Keri Zev attacks it's actually on both players to remember to resolve the trigger, right? Who the gently caress would try and pull that with everyone watching lol.

Not for the better part of a decade it isn't.

And it is both players' responsibility to make sure Hazoret is allowed to attack.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

I don't know what the best deck for the meta going forward is, but I get the feeling it has 3+ Chandra's Defeat in the sideboard, as did Wyatt Darby's list.

Some kind of UR midrange?

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

Not for the better part of a decade it isn't.

And it is both players' responsibility to make sure Hazoret is allowed to attack.

Wait what? Hazoret attacking or not isn't a trigger, you don't have to remind someone when they declare attackers they have an extra card in hand. Oh unless you just mean is allowed like you have to point out when you own Hazoret can't attack after you've illegally declared, which, I mean I guess that's correct.

Monitor
Dec 28, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Having not seen it live, this is hilarious that in the finals of a PT someone would try and do this. Like, he got the token out a second out after tapping his team to attack, its not like blocks were being worked out or anything.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Hellsau posted:

He could say he pointed to Hazoret instead of Kari Zev but anyone with a brain knew exactly what Wyatt meant

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Favorite non-game moments of coverage this weekend have been Marshall standing there looking forlorn post winners interview, Willy Edel’s Jund Life deck tech, and Nathan Holt’s young niece saying her preferred MTG color is black because its death and she likes death

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Wait what? Hazoret attacking or not isn't a trigger, you don't have to remind someone when they declare attackers they have an extra card in hand. Oh unless you just mean is allowed like you have to point out when you own Hazoret can't attack after you've illegally declared, which, I mean I guess that's correct.

Both players are responsible for making sure a Hazoret isn't attacking illegally. Just like both players are responsible for making sure the extra mana is paid for under a Thalia. You can't decide to let your opponent with 2 cards in hand attack with a Hazoret because you have a Settle the Wreckage for example.

Ragavan is a trigger and it hasn't been your opponent's responsibility to keep track of your triggers for a long time.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
He obviously didn't miss it anyway so the only reason to even do something like that is to scumbag your way out of second place

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Just flung a 23 power enigma drake on arena :shepface:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hellsau posted:

How do you beat Arguel's Blood Fast from the RB deck?
Uhhh I dunno I only play aggro. Play Search for Azcanta and draw better answers?

2x Cast Down
1x Censor
3x Champion of Wits
3x Essence Scatter
4x Fatal Push
3x Gifted Aetherborn
3x Kitesail Freebooter
4x Ravenous Chupacabra
2x Search for Azcanta
3x The Scarab God
1x Torrential Gearhulk
3x Vraska's Contempt
2x Walking Ballista

4x Drowned Catacomb
4x Fetid Pools
2x Field of Ruin
5x Island
1x Submerged Boneyard
10x Swamp

Sideboard:
2x Arguel's Blood Fast
2x Deadeye Tracker
4x Disallow
3x Duress
1x Torrential Gearhulk
3x Yahenni's Expertise

I've no idea what I'm doing here. :v:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/8oaza8/comment/e0206na?st=JHZC652P&sh=fbc50c80

Stolen goon valor lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Is Battlebond coming to MTGO?