Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thermopyle posted:

Any zwave/zigbee switch or button or whatever.

Are those going to trigger internet activity from the ST hub? I guess they could with custom handlers, but generally zwave just triggers other zwave responses, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

If my WiFi starts acting up, what’s going to send the commands to the ST hub?

Your phone could connect over cellular data to samsung to send the command back over the wired internet connection to your ST hub. Kinda like it does whenever you use your phone to look at ST stuff outside of the house.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Or your Home Assistant/OpenHAB setup, or IFTTT, or any number of things.

My home theater system dims the lights when I start a movie. My PC has a music player that uses the RGB bulbs as a visualizer. If Home Assistant detects that no one's home in the evening it runs a semi-randomized pattern on a few lights. None of these things require WiFi.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Subjunctive posted:

Are those going to trigger internet activity from the ST hub? I guess they could with custom handlers, but generally zwave just triggers other zwave responses, no?

They can trigger absolutely anything you want them to. I used to have a ZWave switch turning on a wemo smart plug.

Every input can be be used with every output basically.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

B-Nasty posted:

Your phone could connect over cellular data to samsung to send the command back over the wired internet connection to your ST hub. Kinda like it does whenever you use your phone to look at ST stuff outside of the house.

True. I somehow forgot that phones were phones.

Thermopyle posted:

They can trigger absolutely anything you want them to. I used to have a ZWave switch turning on a wemo smart plug.

Every input can be be used with every output basically.

Also true. I know it’s possible, but I guess I thought it was pretty uncommon.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I don't really know if it's common or not common.

I just know that in smartthings you don't really know or care about different devices are zwave, zigbee, wifi, whatever. You just string the different devices together to do things and what communications technology they use doesn't even enter the picture.

So if it's uncommon, it would probably be by virtue of people buying all their devices together, or zwave being more available for purchase or something like that.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

wolrah posted:

It's a thing that basically never needs to move, and unlike something like a doorbell or smart speaker it doesn't need to be placed in specific locations that may not be convenient or practical to wire.

Even if you're one of those WiFi-only people that I don't understand surely wherever your router is located is relatively central, right? Why would it being wireless be a meaningful benefit?

Routers are so yesterday. I have a mesh network, which is 100% reliable and have perfect (5-bar) coverage of entire house.

My issue is the main Eero “router” is on one corner of the house, furthest point away from stuff like my front door smart lock. So hopefully the ST hub’s signal will have sufficient range.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

Routers are so yesterday. I have a mesh network, which is 100% reliable and have perfect (5-bar) coverage of entire house.

My issue is the main Eero “router” is on one corner of the house, furthest point away from stuff like my front door smart lock. So hopefully the ST hub’s signal will have sufficient range.

Having a mesh network does not have anything to do with having a router.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Having a mesh network does not have anything to do with having a router.

I know, it was tongue in cheek. My point stands. My WiFi is very reliable. I’m not concerned about it going offline.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

I know, it was tongue in cheek. My point stands. My WiFi is very reliable. I’m not concerned about it going offline.

I see.

Well, anyway, one of the main points of zwave and zigbee is that they are also mesh networks. So even if your house was too huge for the signal to reach from one side to the other, you can just add a zwave switch or receptacle somewhere in between to make sure the signal reaches from one end to the other.

(Note that there's some procedure you have to do with ST to rebuild the mesh when you add a new zigbee or zwave device. I don't recall what that procedure is off the top of my head.)

edit: spelling

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 30, 2018

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Thermopyle posted:

I see.

Well, anyway, one of the main points of zwave and zigbee is that they are also mesh networks. So even if your house was too huge for the signal to reach from one side to the other, you can just add a zwave switch or receptable somewhere in between to make sure the signal reaches from one end to the other.

(Note that there's some procedure you have to do with ST to rebuild the mesh when you add a new zigbee or zwave device. I don't recall what that procedure is off the top of my head.)

This reminds me that today is the last day of a big Memorial Day sale on Insteon stuff, and I'm really debating whether I want to pull the trigger on $800 worth of smart gear and replacing all my switches. It's 30% off at Smarthome.com if anyone wants to look. It includes their multi-switch bundles, too, which puts it at a really good price point compared to the Z-Wave+ stuff I was looking at. My only hesitation is (1) how good the quality/feel of the devices is, and (2) how easy it would be to integrate with HomeAssistant (I am leaning towards the USB Modem interface rather than the Insteon Hub because that allows me to do completely local-push integration, but I've read setup is a bit of a PITA there).

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Hubis posted:

This reminds me that today is the last day of a big Memorial Day sale on Insteon stuff, and I'm really debating whether I want to pull the trigger on $800 worth of smart gear and replacing all my switches. It's 30% off at Smarthome.com if anyone wants to look. It includes their multi-switch bundles, too, which puts it at a really good price point compared to the Z-Wave+ stuff I was looking at. My only hesitation is (1) how good the quality/feel of the devices is, and (2) how easy it would be to integrate with HomeAssistant (I am leaning towards the USB Modem interface rather than the Insteon Hub because that allows me to do completely local-push integration, but I've read setup is a bit of a PITA there).

Even at 30% off, that stuff just hits price parity with Z-Wave+ (which you can regularly find for ~30 per for switches/dimmers) and locks you into the Insteon system. Doesn't seem worth it to me.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Kalman posted:

Even at 30% off, that stuff just hits price parity with Z-Wave+ (which you can regularly find for ~30 per for switches/dimmers) and locks you into the Insteon system. Doesn't seem worth it to me.

1) I was comparing against the Homeseer switches/dimmers, which I think are more in the $40-50 range. Are there "solid" feeling devices at the $30 price point?
2) I've hard a hard time finding Z-wave remotes/scene controllers that aren't prohibitively expensive and/or look janky or "stylish" rather than, you know, like something that just blends into the decor (suggestions welcome)
3) Insteon has the whole "Hail protocol" thing going for it which allows for extremely low controller/receiver latency. I have heard very mixed things (up to a few seconds) for peoples various Z-Wave setups

All that said I'd love to use more affordable, more open hardware and build a robust Z-Wave+ mesh as I go, and the lock-in is basically what's prevented me from pulling the trigger so far. If I am off-base about any of the above points I'd be more than happy to change my mind.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Hubis posted:

1) I was comparing against the Homeseer switches/dimmers, which I think are more in the $40-50 range. Are there "solid" feeling devices at the $30 price point?
2) I've hard a hard time finding Z-wave remotes/scene controllers that aren't prohibitively expensive and/or look janky or "stylish" rather than, you know, like something that just blends into the decor (suggestions welcome)
3) Insteon has the whole "Hail protocol" thing going for it which allows for extremely low controller/receiver latency. I have heard very mixed things (up to a few seconds) for peoples various Z-Wave setups

All that said I'd love to use more affordable, more open hardware and build a robust Z-Wave+ mesh as I go, and the lock-in is basically what's prevented me from pulling the trigger so far. If I am off-base about any of the above points I'd be more than happy to change my mind.

1) I have some of the Innovelli switches/dimmers and have been happy with them. They always go for 30/per. I haven't found any of the other zwave dimmers I have (which is basically all the major players at this point, I buy them when they go on sale) to not feel solid; the Leviton pushbutton ones are a little weird looking, but I don't think they make that style anymore anyway. I don't have any Homeseer switches to compare to, but don't see any reason they'd be any better or worse in that regard.

2) If you're running Home Assistant for your hub, why would you bother with a Zwave remote/scene controller? You have a smartphone, cheap tablets for touch interfaces, Google Homes for voice control, etc. (Or use automations, depending on what you're trying to achieve.)

3) The controller/receiver latency on zwave isn't noticeably high; my dimmers all (except one defective one I need to swap out) respond within 100ms. There's sometimes a little more delay on relay switches because some literally mechanically switch, but even there, the delay is minimal. The sole exception is with my locks, which take a couple seconds to respond, but they're battery powered so they have different constraints. If you see multi-second response times on wall-powered things like switches, you either have bad hardware or you haven't built a robust enough mesh.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

Slightly OT. What Mesh wifi system do you have and would you recommend it?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Slash posted:

Slightly OT. What Mesh wifi system do you have and would you recommend it?

I have a Netgear Orbi and it's great. One remote (main floor at one side) and the base (basement basically right below) cover a 3500 sqft house with ease. I chose it because the connection between base and remotes uses a different frequency so it's not halving the bandwidth as some meshes do.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Kalman posted:

1) I have some of the Innovelli switches/dimmers and have been happy with them. They always go for 30/per. I haven't found any of the other zwave dimmers I have (which is basically all the major players at this point, I buy them when they go on sale) to not feel solid; the Leviton pushbutton ones are a little weird looking, but I don't think they make that style anymore anyway. I don't have any Homeseer switches to compare to, but don't see any reason they'd be any better or worse in that regard.

2) If you're running Home Assistant for your hub, why would you bother with a Zwave remote/scene controller? You have a smartphone, cheap tablets for touch interfaces, Google Homes for voice control, etc. (Or use automations, depending on what you're trying to achieve.)

3) The controller/receiver latency on zwave isn't noticeably high; my dimmers all (except one defective one I need to swap out) respond within 100ms. There's sometimes a little more delay on relay switches because some literally mechanically switch, but even there, the delay is minimal. The sole exception is with my locks, which take a couple seconds to respond, but they're battery powered so they have different constraints. If you see multi-second response times on wall-powered things like switches, you either have bad hardware or you haven't built a robust enough mesh.

1) The innovelli stuff seems good, thanks -- I'll give them a look.

2) I've got a kind of personal aesthetic rule of not *relying* app/voice usage -- it should be a perk, not a requirement. Basically, a stranger should be able to walk into the house and be able to access all the functionality without an instruction guide.

3) Yeah, I think I am overly cautions here (same as for 2 really) due to the "wife factor" -- I need to make sure I minimize the ways it might be noticeably worse (or just "objectionably different"). I've seen a fair amount of horror stories online of people with huge delays, but I suspect there's a lot of variability here due to whether people are using local vs cloud control, mesh robustness, etc.

Anyways, thanks for the feedback -- gives me some food for thought.

Hubis fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 31, 2018

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Hubis posted:

1) The innovelli stuff seems good, thanks -- I'll give them a look.

2) I've got a kind of personal aesthetic rule of not *relying* app/voice usage -- it should be a perk, not a requirement. Basically, a stranger should be able to walk into the house and be able to access all the functionality without an instruction guide.

3) Yeah, I think I am overly cautions here (same as for 2 really) due to the "wife factor" -- I need to make sure I minimize the ways it might be noticeably worse (or just "objectionably different"). I've seen a fair amount of horror stories online of people with huge delays, but I suspect there's a lot of variability here due to whether people are using local vs cloud control, mesh robustness, etc.

Anyways, thanks for the feedback -- gives me some food for thought.

They're not z-wave (they use their own hub), but have you looked into the Lutron Caseta stuff at all? I can yell at Alexa or Siri to turn my lights on or off but there's still a normal switch there my wife or a guest can use since I have a similar requirement as you. There's no delay with either the hardwired switches, the remote switches, app, or voice control (though since the ones I have are dimmers they "dims up/down" when they turn on or off which takes a second).

The initial setup isn't too bad price-wise, especially if you do like I did and watch ebay for their %-off coupons and pick them up then.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Lutron's switches are really rock solid. I had Caseta and then switched out to RadioRA2 (as it does quite a bit more) and no regrets for either system.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
My Hue lights were finally working great but have begun occasionally flickering. My main overhead light also does not ever want to seem to stay below 35% brightness and will zap back to 100% after a few seconds (or minutes or hours?) no matter what I do. Help?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Avian Pneumonia posted:

My Hue lights were finally working great but have begun occasionally flickering. My main overhead light also does not ever want to seem to stay below 35% brightness and will zap back to 100% after a few seconds (or minutes or hours?) no matter what I do. Help?

It sounds like the power supply isn't consistent. Hue bulbs return to 100% if you turn off and on the power.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

What is the best z-wave repeater? I need something to extend the range of my SmartThings hub because my Schlabe smart lock can't detect it (probably too far?)

stevewm
May 10, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

What is the best z-wave repeater? I need something to extend the range of my SmartThings hub because my Schlabe smart lock can't detect it (probably too far?)

There are a handful of repeaters. They all work equally well.. but remember any mains powered zwave device is a repeater. So just adding another powered zwave device between your lock and the hub will also work.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

enraged_camel posted:

What the last guy said, just add another z-wave switch somewhere between, BUT make sure that new device supports secure relaying. Locks need encryption that some cheap devices can’t speak.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

What the last guy said, just add another z-wave switch somewhere between, BUT make sure that new device supports secure relaying. Locks need encryption that some cheap devices can’t speak.

If you get a zwave plus certified device I am fairly certain secure relay is a

eddiewalker posted:

Good catch on that, forgot a lock needs secure relay.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Does anyone make a smart/wifi version of these types of timer switches? I don't want a programmable one because I don't run it on a set schedule.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 4, 2018

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Should've checked here before buying one, but for awhile now I've been looking at getting a keypad with entry/exit delay for Samsung Smart Things so I could have a functional home security system, because the location tracking is horrendously unreliable on Samsung's flagship phones (of all loving things). Don't know why there hasn't been an offering sooner for something like this, but it looks like ADT has a ST panel/hub that works as a arm/disarm keypad, though it's horrendously expensive.

I found one though the other day on Amazon warehouse for 280$ instead of 500$... Was this a good buy or a bad beta version of a new product? I'm not looking for professional monitoring, just a way to functionally arm/disarm my ST home security sensors.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Just use a motion detector to do things like turn off lights and arm your alarms etc.

I wouldn't bother with a connected door lock though, too expensive and a keypad works just as well but is probably way more secure.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE

LastInLine posted:

It sounds like the power supply isn't consistent. Hue bulbs return to 100% if you turn off and on the power.

This is probably definitely it as i’ve noticed it seems to happen when the air conditioner or fridge turns on. Is there anything I can do?

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

OSU_Matthew posted:

Should've checked here before buying one, but for awhile now I've been looking at getting a keypad with entry/exit delay for Samsung Smart Things so I could have a functional home security system, because the location tracking is horrendously unreliable on Samsung's flagship phones (of all loving things). Don't know why there hasn't been an offering sooner for something like this, but it looks like ADT has a ST panel/hub that works as a arm/disarm keypad, though it's horrendously expensive.

I found one though the other day on Amazon warehouse for 280$ instead of 500$... Was this a good buy or a bad beta version of a new product? I'm not looking for professional monitoring, just a way to functionally arm/disarm my ST home security sensors.

If you don't mind arming it from the app you can put a bunch door sensors around and set up the Smart Home Monitor.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Avian Pneumonia posted:

This is probably definitely it as i’ve noticed it seems to happen when the air conditioner or fridge turns on. Is there anything I can do?

Put them on a different circuit?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

McPhearson posted:

If you don't mind arming it from the app you can put a bunch door sensors around and set up the Smart Home Monitor.

That's essentially what I've had for several years now, door and window sensors with the automation to disarm when either me or my partner's phone arrives, and arms when we both leave. Pretty straightforward and works great on her iPhone, but hasn't worked for poo poo on my S6, S7, or S8, so it's always sending me texts that there's been an intrusion, making the while thing basically worthless.

The app isn't seamless, last thing I want to do is dig out my phone, open the app, and arm/disarm the system.

I was just curious if anyone had run into this problem where they were looking for a keypad to disarm/arm Smartthings (like a traditional security system), and if anyone had any experience with the recent ADT keypad/hub that has this basic functionality.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

FWIW, presence detection via cell phone has been basically 100 percent effective since I started using home assistant.

I use the gpslogger integration on my phone and the unifi wifi integration on my wife's phone...both of us using a Pixel XL.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

So what does it mean if I tell my Google Home to turn on/off lights and it tells me that it can't reach Smartthings, but I can use the Smartthings app to turn them on and off? Does something need to be rebooted?

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

FCKGW posted:

Does anyone make a smart/wifi version of these types of timer switches?

No, that would be redundant. You get a regular smart/zwave switch and use whatever your home automation software/system is as the timer.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

n.. posted:

No, that would be redundant. You get a regular smart/zwave switch and use whatever your home automation software/system is as the timer.

Then what do you put on your wall that can also trigger a range of times?

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Subjunctive posted:

Then what do you put on your wall that can also trigger a range of times?

I kept my old Lutron timer switches for my bathroom fans specifically for this reason despite most everything else being on zwave switches.

Though, with a regular zwave switch you can just set a basic automation to turn it off after X minutes, or based on motion/presence detection, or whatever you want.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Thermopyle posted:

FWIW, presence detection via cell phone has been basically 100 percent effective since I started using home assistant.

I use the gpslogger integration on my phone and the unifi wifi integration on my wife's phone...both of us using a Pixel XL.

I suspect my issues are a combination of crappy cellular service near my house combined with the battery saving maintenance built into Android putting smart things presence location to sleep. Simple fix is having a keypad with entry/exit delay, but there just hasn't been anything to fit this into very recently, even though it's probably the most basic bog standard functionality.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
SmartThings phone presence has always been about 10% for me, with two different phones even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

n.. posted:

I need to be able to set the timer without pulling out my phone or if my in laws want to use it. I still want to turn it on and off if I’m sitting in bed though.

This is for a whole house fan so it gets used irregularly and for different lengths of time depending on how hot it is.