Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Yeah, but after 40-50 hours when you have 10 fully developed settlements churning out caps, adhesive, and spare parts you have more of a sense of accomplishment than in Vanilla. Every person who posts here saying that Horizon is too hard makes me feel better about persevering through it. Sometimes after a hard day I'll even re-read old parts of this thread to boost my self-esteem before I go to bed hugging my Piper body pillow with Atom Bomb Baby playing on a loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Yeah im about 25 hours in and things are getting better and more enjoyable, but christ those initial 15 are absolutely hellish.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Feels more Fallouty in my mind. I remember those being hard in the beginning where your confused about what's going on and what to do (and not doing a Navarro beeline).

Plus melee means more and modifications feel more important and satisfying to get.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I picked like 35 mods, loaded, and it worked first try

gently caress

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
ha ha now you have to play

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
I'm using Mod Organizer, and havent played in ages. Updated F4SE and everything, and now fallout 4 tells me to gently caress off with my mods whenever I try to continue my game. Also my load order is empty ingame.

edit: also updating Mod Organizer deleted all my mods. :negative:

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jun 2, 2018

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

DJ Dizzy posted:

I'm using Mod Organizer, and havent played in ages. Updated F4SE and everything, and now fallout 4 tells me to gently caress off with my mods whenever I try to continue my game. Also my load order is empty ingame.

You may have just installed the new version to a different location. Check where the old one would be; there should be a folder full of mods you can just move to the equivalent location for the new install

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Chronojam posted:

Feels more Fallouty in my mind. I remember those being hard in the beginning where your confused about what's going on and what to do (and not doing a Navarro beeline).

The first time I played Fallout 1, I got eaten by rats.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is there a mod which speeds up dialogue? I just wanna trade with people, not mash the mouse button and hear Seanmom go “hmm” “right” “uh huh” as the camera goes back and forth between both of us until the trade window comes up.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

buglord posted:

Is there a mod which speeds up dialogue? I just wanna trade with people, not mash the mouse button and hear Seanmom go “hmm” “right” “uh huh” as the camera goes back and forth between both of us until the trade window comes up.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/16229/

General dialogue? not that I know of, but that adds a direct trade button

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thMFeYwouM0

japanese modders continue to run circles around the nerds making 4k catsuit mods

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Blast of Confetti posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thMFeYwouM0

japanese modders continue to run circles around the nerds making 4k catsuit mods
"I speak Japanese only."

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

"I speak Japanese only."

I often find myself wishing that I too was unable to communicate with the Fallout 4 modding community..

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
japan has a huge modding community for bethesda games so i think he's fine

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

DJ Dizzy posted:

I had the same issue as you today. Came back, updated f4se, and now the game wont recognize any of my mods. If you find a solution let me know.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Horizons+Sim Settlements question: How do I get surplus purified water? Most of my settlements have 20-30 water points yet my water pumps and trader water towers dont put spare purified water in the workshop or resource management container? Is there something else im missing?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

buglord posted:

Horizons+Sim Settlements question: How do I get surplus purified water? Most of my settlements have 20-30 water points yet my water pumps and trader water towers dont put spare purified water in the workshop or resource management container? Is there something else im missing?

The big pumps definitely produce it but you need to use maintenance kits at a resource station to keep them operating at making bottles for your personal use. A big yellow industrial one uses five kits per cycle.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nevets posted:

Yeah, but after 40-50 hours when you have 10 fully developed settlements churning out caps, adhesive, and spare parts you have more of a sense of accomplishment than in Vanilla. Every person who posts here saying that Horizon is too hard makes me feel better about persevering through it. Sometimes after a hard day I'll even re-read old parts of this thread to boost my self-esteem before I go to bed hugging my Piper body pillow with Atom Bomb Baby playing on a loop.

People who aren't into that kind of thing make you feel better for being into that kind of thing?

whatever floats your boat, I guess...

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Midnight Voyager posted:

People who aren't into that kind of thing make you feel better for being into that kind of thing?

whatever floats your boat, I guess...

He's saying our salty tears of failure make his success sweeter. I get it. I just don't need the game to be any harder.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Chronojam posted:

The big pumps definitely produce it but you need to use maintenance kits at a resource station to keep them operating at making bottles for your personal use. A big yellow industrial one uses five kits per cycle.

It was changed to care about total water production rather than number of individual pumps. 20 water units per water item per day. Still gotta use maintenance kits though, and there's a limit on daily production based on your number of successful settlements.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
I love Horizon but god drat it needs a wiki in the worst way.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Terrorforge posted:

It was changed to care about total water production rather than number of individual pumps. 20 water units per water item per day. Still gotta use maintenance kits though, and there's a limit on daily production based on your number of successful settlements.

Is there a way to somehow automate production of maintenance kits? Or just do something to where I can have purified water passively made without thinking about it?

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sim Settlements probably has that option if any mod is going to

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

buglord posted:

Is there a way to somehow automate production of maintenance kits? Or just do something to where I can have purified water passively made without thinking about it?

No, but you can cram 20+ ones in there at a time, so you only have to top up occasionally.

Blast of Confetti posted:

Sim Settlements probably has that option if any mod is going to

If you don't use the Horizon patch, certain buildings will just plop purified water into the settlement inventory - bu that'll probably break the balance instead.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

buglord posted:

Not really - the Horizon dev is very anti-automation for whatever reason. Despite having a whole bunch of settlement stuff added he wants you to have to manually check in on your poo poo every so often.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Started a new FO4 save after almost a year of putting it down, installed about 40 mods and now I'm having an issue...

I thought I remembered corpses (dead raiders I've killed, etc.) taking about 24 hours to despawn.

For some reason, they're now despawning within about 10-15 minutes.

Is this normal? I see there's a "More Dead Bodies" mod and a "Pile of Corpses" mod that might fix this, but they haven't been updated since 2015.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I think corpse despawning is normally tied to cell resets. Do you have any time scale mods or save game bloat prevention mods that might be resetting cells sooner than normal?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Otacon posted:

Started a new FO4 save after almost a year of putting it down, installed about 40 mods and now I'm having an issue...

I thought I remembered corpses (dead raiders I've killed, etc.) taking about 24 hours to despawn.

For some reason, they're now despawning within about 10-15 minutes.

Is this normal? I see there's a "More Dead Bodies" mod and a "Pile of Corpses" mod that might fix this, but they haven't been updated since 2015.

It's wildly variable, even in vanilla. Quest-related corpses will tend to hang around longer, especially outside, and some seem to never despawn - the drug dealers at Drumlin Diner and the Triggermen at the big Diamond City drug rip not only don't despawn, but their loot respawns. :getin: There's a raider corpse at Concord, thinks it's a scripted kill by the Deathclaw, that respawns loot as well.

Meanwhile, the ghouls at Sunshine Tidings just lie there stinking up the place. :(

My most recent (modded) run, the Concord Deathclaw just sat in front of the museum for literal ingame *months*. Kinda wanted to somehow drag it back to Sanctuary and drape it over the kid-killer or something.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Nevets posted:

I think corpse despawning is normally tied to cell resets.

Except for those apparently permanent dog and raider corpses right across Sanctuary's bridge. 3 days of real time, weeks spent roaming south of diamond City, and they're still there.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Horizon in my experience will make cells take a long time to respawn, so corpses will stick around for days, maybe even weeks.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
is Frost the mod to go for if I want a more "hardcore" experience but couldn't give two shits about the settlement stuff?

Halser fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 5, 2018

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Nevets posted:

I think corpse despawning is normally tied to cell resets. Do you have any time scale mods or save game bloat prevention mods that might be resetting cells sooner than normal?

Nothing like that from what I can remember installing.

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

It's wildly variable, even in vanilla. Quest-related corpses will tend to hang around longer, especially outside, and some seem to never despawn - the drug dealers at Drumlin Diner and the Triggermen at the big Diamond City drug rip not only don't despawn, but their loot respawns. :getin: There's a raider corpse at Concord, thinks it's a scripted kill by the Deathclaw, that respawns loot as well.

Meanwhile, the ghouls at Sunshine Tidings just lie there stinking up the place. :(

My most recent (modded) run, the Concord Deathclaw just sat in front of the museum for literal ingame *months*. Kinda wanted to somehow drag it back to Sanctuary and drape it over the kid-killer or something.

I noticed it inside Corvega - I finished murdering everything and was in salvage mode, going around collecting loot. Noticed a lot less bodies than normal, ran to the last room I was in (maybe 10 minutes before) and saw a corpse disappear right in front of my eyes before I could scoop the loot. Now that I think about it, I did zone out for a split second in the sewer pipe exit/entrance in the basement, may have had something to do with it.

Regardless, I ended up installing Pile of Corpses and it seems to have fixed the issue.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

marshmallow creep posted:

Horizon in my experience will make cells take a long time to respawn, so corpses will stick around for days, maybe even weeks.

I had the opposite experience, the whole world was respawning way faster in Horizon. Was the main thing that caused me to just finally give in to my fallout burnout and can the run. I'm willing to put up with the survival travel bullshit, but not if I have to re-clear every camp every few days

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Re horizon: Anyone know how to get the settler skill "scrapping" so that I can use the personal tool kit without wasting the perk point on scrapper.

Is there a way of tracking the progess of settler skills? They show up in your list of perks once you gain them. Are they linked to the settler mission listings? There's salvaging , but not scrapping

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Halser posted:

is Frost the mod to go for if I want a more "hardcore" experience but couldn't give two shits about the settlement stuff?

No. FROST isn't just "more hardcore". By which I do mean that it's way beyond "harder" into "are you kidding me" territory, but more importantly it overhauls the whole game to the point where it's not remotely the same any more.

If that sounds good to you by all means try it. If you just want a better balanced FO4, try the Unbogus Overhaul I guess. If that isn't to your liking, probably put together your own combination of Better Locational Damage, Loot Overhaul, Agony etc.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Terrorforge posted:

No. FROST isn't just "more hardcore". By which I do mean that it's way beyond "harder" into "are you kidding me" territory, but more importantly it overhauls the whole game to the point where it's not remotely the same any more.

FROST removes the entire game in favor of its survival stuff. There's no shawn or anything else, just a couple of breadcrumbs to tell you who you are, and some random lore about some early cults that the guy made up, but there's literally no quests or anything else to do really.

And as an aside I found Horizon harder just because until you gently caress around with settlements for hours resources are way scarcer. In 0.5 FROST I wasn't having any issues staying fed or low rads and everything died in one hit more or less. I just found it boring af since there was literally nothing to do.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

That never bothered me, probably because I didn't get that far. I found FROST unbearable because I never managed to get beyond the point where I was having to fight a half-dozen enemies, all of which would one shot me, with two rounds of .38 that would just barely knock off a third of their health. That, and after hundreds of hours of Horizon going back to vanilla-ish crafting and having to deal with managing my inventory without settlements to unload at was just too much.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Is Grasslands still considered a decent recommendation? I know it looks like it's unfinished and not being worked on at this time. Not sure if it is still the defacto greenifying mod or if someone else has picked up that mantle and done it better since.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've been using a combination of grasslands 2.0 and the seasons mod and it looks very nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah, grasslands is really nice looking. I skipped over the seasons mod, but maybe I should start running that too