Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I would guess there’s a lot of “Yes Officer, I was riding with my friend but I suck and I lost him and can’t find him so now I’m just headed home.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Bike's here. i hear faint chanting of ONE OF US ONE OF US in the distance but can't quite place it.....

So far I've walked it over to its concrete pad, tried to get it on the center stand and failed because I'm too light and I have no right arm lift this week due to a serratus pull working on my stupid car. It's fine though, side kick holds well.

I let it sit for an hour and a half, gave it a Dawn hand wash and dry (just hitting the fairings really, did not drench anything) and a quick once-over look, then started and idled (which it did on the first crank with no choke - engine was just barely warm to the touch) for a few. Couple missing fairing bolts, lower fairing is kinda chewed on the underside but it's my understanding that is very common.

So, yeah. Written on Monday, then i'll have my permit and can at least get a buddy over here to start teaching after I get a helmet. I will confess that I feathered it in first (no throttle) to get it over to its spot, really surprised at how odd the clutch feels - and how much it scoots just with clutch slip at idle. Torquier than i expected. neutral's easier to find than i thought

I want to do some maintenance just to get it into a known state, though it does run so so well right now. I'm starting a google sheet and calendar to track maint items and fixits. My driveway is gravel, and I'm not dumb enough to scoot around on there, but we do live next door to a tire shop with a decent lot that closes on Sundays, and we're cool with those folks.

Gear will be next paycheck - I will not claim that i'm eating anything but mac and cheese till then, but we'll have plenty of budget.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

Bike's here. i hear faint chanting of ONE OF US ONE OF US in the distance but can't quite place it.....

Excellent bike, congrats! You'll get used to that friction zone on the clutch in no time.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bikes are very light and don't need a whole lot to get them rolling compared to a car.

Also consider that motorcycle clutches are (predominantly) wet, so you'll always have that oil drag pulling on the transmission even if the clutch is fully disengaged. It's particularly noticeable if you try to roll it around in gear with the clutch pulled vs. in neutral.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Casual Encountess posted:

from a cyclist perspective it really seems like a huge portion of motorcycle accidents are from impatient hotheads who can’t wait literally 20 seconds and are awful at traffic pattern analysis.

i’ve been hit by cars 3 times on a bicycle i’m really not looking to replicate that on a motorcycle. i’m kind of going into this with a similar mindset of “everybody who isn’t me is trying to kill me” and i don’t give a gently caress about being honked at if it means i’m not going to get run over. i ride 15-30mi a day on a bike all around boston and at this point i can tell when an uber is going to swoop in and double park directly in front of me almost before they do. and instead of relying on a bike’s brakes to stop on a dime i’d rather just go slow and relax and pull around when safe to do so.

I really can't take you seriously after you tell me that a huge portion of motorcycle accidents come from impatient hotheads. I sure wanted to get hit waiting in line at that stop sign when that lady wouldn't put down her cellphone. I must have been impatiently waiting my turn.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yep, the wet vs dry thing is very disorienting at first. "I'm ruining a $100 clutch aren't i" but nope.

This weekend is practice written tests, find a couple of bolts to replace missing ones for the fairings* and go out periodically to just sit and feel out the weight. It feels odd when I tilt it over a couple degrees standing, but i can definitely feel how you balance with your body.

* I do have a couple small (1-3") cracks in the fairings at obvious stress points. They cheesed it with 100mph tape, but I'd like to at least get things at least solid again. Do I have some basic crack repair options with epoxy and some close-match touch-up paint? Not sure what the best angle to take is.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Minkee posted:

I really can't take you seriously after you tell me that a huge portion of motorcycle accidents come from impatient hotheads. I sure wanted to get hit waiting in line at that stop sign when that lady wouldn't put down her cellphone. I must have been impatiently waiting my turn.

Do you represent a huge portion of motorcycle accidents?

Motorcycle accidents happen, but if you eliminate the number of cases where e.g. the rider was drunk, speeding, or riding without a license (i.e. rider stupidity), the rate drops dramatically. There's probably always going to be a cases where an accident was genuinely unavoidable, but there are less of those than you might think -- and even in those cases you could probably limit the seriousness of the consequences through your own actions. If, for instance, you come around a blind turn and there's a car that's crossed the line into your lane and you get pancaked -- yes, that is the car's fault. But you can mitigate the chance of having that accident by staying to the edge of your lane in that kind of turn and by taking it at a speed that gives you a chance to brake or swerve.

I crashed once by hitting a flat piece of slippery black plastic about the size of a playing card while in the middle of a turn. Freak occurrence. But if I'd been more attentive to the road conditions, I might have noticed it lying there. If I'd been riding a little slower, I might have had time to avoid it. It's part of the reality.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 3, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

* I do have a couple small (1-3") cracks in the fairings at obvious stress points. They cheesed it with 100mph tape, but I'd like to at least get things at least solid again. Do I have some basic crack repair options with epoxy and some close-match touch-up paint? Not sure what the best angle to take is.

I'd just stop-drill them and call it a day. Add some epoxy to hold the edges together if you like but there isn't really much you can do beyond replacing the fairings if you're seeking aesthetic perfection. Call it a patina

If you just want them to stay together, you can always do the track day thrasher thing and drill a bunch of holes along both sides of the crack and stitch it together with zip-ties.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
kawasaki de los muertos. i like it.

I'll feel around for options, i guess ABS pipe cement will lock things down, and i found a company that sells touchup paint, though I can't find a VIN decoder that will actually give me my goddamn paint color.

I'm fine with 80% aesthetic fix, i just want to get the gaffer tape off

e: Side note that the "Clymer Book" for the thing was included in the deal. Thumbing through it now. Looks nicer than a Haynes for a car, tbh

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 3, 2018

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jonny 290 posted:

Drill holes and zip tie stitches. Will look radder than anything else you can try, i think.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Somebody just linked me to orange KTM zip ties. This is a thing, i see how it is.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

e: Side note that the "Clymer Book" for the thing was included in the deal. Thumbing through it now. Looks nicer than a Haynes for a car, tbh

Those books are sometimes decent but considering that you're gonna do the work yourself I'd suggest also eBaying the factory service manual. I've noticed that Haynes/Clymer stuff is often somewhat incomplete, particularly for the more complex jobs.

I mean my Honda manuals aren't perfect either (did you know that there are three different possible camshaft and rocker designs in the CL350? Cause apparently whoever wrote the FSM didn't!) but I refer to them more than the third-party stuff.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

So far I've walked it over to its concrete pad, tried to get it on the center stand and failed because I'm too light and I have no right arm lift this week due to a serratus pull working on my stupid car. It's fine though, side kick holds well.

I let it sit for an hour and a half, gave it a Dawn hand wash and dry (just hitting the fairings really, did not drench anything) and a quick once-over look, then started and idled (which it did on the first crank with no choke - engine was just barely warm to the touch) for a few. Couple missing fairing bolts, lower fairing is kinda chewed on the underside but it's my understanding that is very common.

So, yeah. Written on Monday, then i'll have my permit and can at least get a buddy over here to start teaching after I get a helmet. I will confess that I feathered it in first (no throttle) to get it over to its spot, really surprised at how odd the clutch feels - and how much it scoots just with clutch slip at idle. Torquier than i expected. neutral's easier to find than i thought

I want to do some maintenance just to get it into a known state, though it does run so so well right now. I'm starting a google sheet and calendar to track maint items and fixits. My driveway is gravel, and I'm not dumb enough to scoot around on there, but we do live next door to a tire shop with a decent lot that closes on Sundays, and we're cool with those folks.

Gear will be next paycheck - I will not claim that i'm eating anything but mac and cheese till then, but we'll have plenty of budget.

Putting a bike on a motorcycle centre stand requires bugger all strength. Here's how to do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6TGuO03wHM

Its mostly in the legs.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It is surprisingly counter-intuitive at first. A non-motorcyclist friend of mine once had to move my bike without me there (:siren: I know but I trust the guy) and he said he spent twenty minutes trying to figure out the center stand before giving up and just leaving it on the sidestand.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Yeah, I struggled like a motherfucker trying to get my first FJR on the center stand until I read somewhere that it's more about pushing down with your leg than it is trying to lift with your arms.

Think of it this way: you're not trying to lift the bike up onto the stand, you're trying to push the stand down under the bike. There is a little pull involved but it's likely a LOT less than you think.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I figured it out. weight towards back of the bike, popped right up. All good!

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

I figured it out. weight towards back of the bike, popped right up. All good!

Getting it off the stand is harder IMO. Follow the instructions in the video, but place your foot so you can keep the centrestand on the ground to support and balance the bike, rather than just flick up. Otherwise as you push forward, you might find the bike tipping away from you. You might be able to grab it if its a 500, but when its a 1250 bandit, well... :saddowns:

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I just get on mine and rock it forward to get off (oh yeah).

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I’ve pretty much got a rough idea of everything I’m going to buy, gear, bike, insurance. But I realised I haven’t taken into account security.

Easily fixed, buy a chain. But where do I keep it? If I’m commuting every day, I’ll need the chain at both ends, and I really don’t want to carry a 6+ kg chain in a backpack each day.

If nobody makes pannier (rails?) or top boxes for the bike(s) I’m looking at getting, what are my options?

alr
May 14, 2009

Horse Clocks posted:

I’ve pretty much got a rough idea of everything I’m going to buy, gear, bike, insurance. But I realised I haven’t taken into account security.

Easily fixed, buy a chain. But where do I keep it? If I’m commuting every day, I’ll need the chain at both ends, and I really don’t want to carry a 6+ kg chain in a backpack each day.

If nobody makes pannier (rails?) or top boxes for the bike(s) I’m looking at getting, what are my options?

I use a brake disc lock (put it on the rear wheel) and prayers. The lock just fits under my rear seat but if I'm commuting it's only a small weight in the backpack. It'll prevent someone with a screwdriver hotwiring it and riding off, but not 2 people with a van or someone with the time to use a power tool on it. I'm sure you already know this, but get full coverage insurance. If you do end up going with a chain, loop it through the frame of the bike and a solid object.

Edit: random video from some youtuber in Melbourne that always stuck with me, especially since I used to park near that area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoozOYcP1rY

alr fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jun 3, 2018

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Chain is fine security but imo the best security is a cover (and comprehensive insurance).

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I live in London and there’s a police campaign at the moment to chain and cover bikes. Also lots of brazen bike thefts. (That said, nobody’s going to want to steal a Chinese 125 short of opportunistic phone muggers... I hope)

Nobody seems to cover them in the business centres, but everyone seems to chain them to nothing as there’s never any street furniture to chain them to at motorbike parks.

I’ll see what my insurance premiums differ by if I just use a disc lock at work. Might just chance it.

But deffo getting a chain anchor installed at home.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I never even thought about the anti-theft effectiveness of a cover, thanks for bringing that up. Never catches their eye, never catches their Sawzall, i guess?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah pretty much. And it's one more thing that they have to gently caress around with looking suspicious the whole time. The best security is for thieves to never even know your bike is there; if you can't park inside, hiding it under a cover is the next best.

You'll probably be okay with your Ninja though. In some places (England) there are apparently roving gangs of children armed with unregistered butter knives who will pick up and carry away even a beat-to-poo poo $300 moped, but in America people mostly go for new-ish supersports because there's always a market of idiots with crashed versions of the same who want to buy the parts..

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
And here's where I remember that I have a locking 8x12 shed on the other end of the property that has double doors and only holds two rubbermaids of vintage Apple components. Put your head on, jonny

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

You'll probably be okay with your Ninja though. In some places (England) there are apparently roving gangs of children armed with unregistered butter knives who will pick up and carry away even a beat-to-poo poo $300 moped
Yeah, mopeds are targeted in the U.K. because they’re easy, nimble, insecure, and abundant.

They steal them to steal other things with, because the police don’t chase them.

You’ve then also got bike thieves that’ll threaten you with a hammer while his mate saws through a chain in broad daylight.

Yay London. It’s the best.

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 3, 2018

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
I put a U-lock through my back sprocket and tire, is that ok? Seems to work.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Where do you anchor ratchet straps on a bike when you’re putting in a truck to transport long distance?

Forks and rear wheel?
Handlebars and rear seat bar?

My new bike (85’ Nighthawk) doesn’t appear to have any special mounts.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

tokenbrownguy posted:

Where do you anchor ratchet straps on a bike when you’re putting in a truck to transport long distance?

Forks and rear wheel?

Usually the bars, strapping the back wheel does next to nothing, the goal is to compress the fork (or jam it with a block of wood) to eliminate bouncing and to keep the bike vertical so the tension of the straps can do the job.

Get canyon dancers or similar if you can, takes all the guesswork out.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Horse Clocks posted:

Get yourself a tail bag, enough to store a chain and cover, kriega make good ones.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'm planning to be zipping around for all day park trips and so on. How are tank bags for frequently accessed stuff? Horribly dorky? Useful? I could see them going either way.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

tokenbrownguy posted:

Forks and rear wheel?

Bottom triple if it's easily accessible (should be on a Nighthawk). If you want to run straps to the rear as well, you can hook them on the passenger footpeg hangers, but like Slavvy said you really want to compress the front fork so it doesn't bounce. Straps on the rear are just extra insurance.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Jonny 290 posted:

I'm planning to be zipping around for all day park trips and so on. How are tank bags for frequently accessed stuff? Horribly dorky? Useful? I could see them going either way.

They are useful if you don't want things in you pockets all day. I used mine like a glove box/center console. Extra house keys, phone, wallet, some spare tools, and a small first aid kit went into mine. The top also had a clear cover on it so I could stuff a map in there and navigate before we all went to phones with turn by turn instructions. Just make sure that whatever you get works for your bike. Some tank bags are wider than others and won't let you go full lock. I had a metal gas tank and liked the magnet bags with a single loop around the headstock better than the strapped on ones. It was easier to get on and off and some of the strap models get in the way of the gas filler. Though if you have a plastic tank, you'll either need a strap mounted one, or one of the ones that has a gas cap adapter kit.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Tank bags are super useful until you have to fill up, and then they can be a pain in the rear end. The bigger ones can get in the way of being able to see your instrument cluster.

I prefer tank bags that mount to a ring on the gas cap. They're easy to get on and off and won't gently caress up the paint on your tank.

To me a top box is still more utilitarian, but they are almost uniformly ugly and expensive. Tail bags work pretty well but are obviously harder to get into if you need something while you're on the bike.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Rolled around in my lot and got into a full no feet down first gear idle roll!

THEN i did a 180 turn! No feet!

I'm so excited. Gonna do it again in a sec. and again and again.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
EDIT: ops, wrong thread.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Usually the bars, strapping the back wheel does next to nothing, the goal is to compress the fork (or jam it with a block of wood) to eliminate bouncing and to keep the bike vertical so the tension of the straps can do the job.

Get canyon dancers or similar if you can, takes all the guesswork out.

Jazzzzz posted:

Bottom triple if it's easily accessible (should be on a Nighthawk). If you want to run straps to the rear as well, you can hook them on the passenger footpeg hangers, but like Slavvy said you really want to compress the front fork so it doesn't bounce. Straps on the rear are just extra insurance.

Thanks guys - went with the bottom triple and rear tire - bike made it 600 miles with no damage.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

I'm a new biker with questions!

1) I got a good deal on a Scorpion Covert for my first helmet. Am I going to die Y/N?

2) What's the opinion of the Nitrinos.ru helmets? I don't see any DoT or ECE stickers on their website, OTOH they're made and marketed in a country outside of those regulatory groups, so maybe they're fine and just never filled out the overseas paperwork. I got to pick one up and it SEEMED fine for a helmet.

3) Instead of earplugs, can I just use earbuds?

4) OK, sure, but what about nice earbuds that help noise cancel, but let me hear my GPS?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Alpha Phoenix posted:

I'm a new biker with questions!

1) I got a good deal on a Scorpion Covert for my first helmet. Am I going to die Y/N?
Eventually. Scorpion stuff is usually good. That's basically a skid lid, the face guard on that won't do poo poo in a wreck. From RevZilla, who clearly know their market: " Snapping in a rear bottom sleeve transforms your lid into a 3/4 helmet and helps to muffle some of the cries from your lives-saving exhaust"

quote:

2) What's the opinion of the Nitrinos.ru helmets? I don't see any DoT or ECE stickers on their website, OTOH they're made and marketed in a country outside of those regulatory groups, so maybe they're fine and just never filled out the overseas paperwork. I got to pick one up and it SEEMED fine for a helmet.
No.

quote:

3) Instead of earplugs, can I just use earbuds?
It's your hearing, do what you want.

quote:

4) OK, sure, but what about nice earbuds that help noise cancel, but let me hear my GPS?
Good earplugs + helmet speakers work better. There are some pretty good earbuds out there, but very few that offer NRR anywhere near even cheap disposable foam plugs.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Thank you, that's what I figured for most of it.

I got the scorpion with the expectation of it being a 3/4, I was under no illusion that the face guard did anything, but I like the snap in for putting on my glasses. I'll switch to a full modular when I get a bigger highway-compatible bike.