Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

spankmeister posted:

France isn't only the biggest market for Japanese whisky but for the whisky market in general iirc. At least in Europe.

The general consensus in the industry is that France and Germany are the places to be if you want to sell whiskey in Europe. I think France trends toward American and Japanese whiskies, while Germany goes in for Scotch. I asked one scotch distiller if it was China driving up prices, and he said his biggest markets continues to be "Germany, Germany, Germany, and Germany." But Bourbon is king in France, ironically enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

These are the kind of prices where you get suspicious.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

chitoryu12 posted:

Suspicious of what? Those prices look inline with what I'd expect for a 50mL or 1.5oz pour.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 3, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TobinHatesYou posted:

Suspicious of what? Those prices look inline with what I'd expect for a 50mL or 1.5oz pour.

Most everywhere I’ve seen whiskey of that level, it’s two or three times as much.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I’d love to be able to get a 50ml pour of Fernet for $4.5. I don’t think I can buy a bottle for that price :v:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm the grand marnier listed under cognac.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Last night I invited some friends over for a blind whiskey tasting. I ran it like a double-blind clinical trial. I chose the whiskies, placed them in a brown bag, someone else poured them, and then we let people try them casually over 2 hours with food, etc. Then people got together and voted for their favorite. The lineup?

A. Kikori Japanese rice whisky ($40)
B. Mellow Corn, an unassuming American corn whisky ($12)
C. Polly’s, a scotch aged in Firestone Walker beer barrels ($100)
D. Talisker Storm, a peaty scotch ($60)
E. Suntory Hibiki Japanese Harmony ($65)
F. Bulleit Rye ($23)

The winner was mellow corn the loving cheapest whiskey

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Knew the answer without looking.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

chitoryu12 posted:

Most everywhere I’ve seen whiskey of that level, it’s two or three times as much.

Can't speak for the scotch, but I've never seen Woodford priced that low.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Enigma posted:

Can't speak for the scotch, but I've never seen Woodford priced that low.

Woodford is a $27 bottle at Total Wine and it probably costs a bar or restaurant ~$20. If we expect a pour cost of around 20% that means Woodford should cost around $6.67 for 50mL, rounded up to $7. 20% pour cost is already on the highly profitable side. Many bars have pour costs closer to 30%.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Woodford is usually $12-$15 a pour for me. This is across multiple major metropolitan areas.

And in NYC I regularly see it for like $22 :(

Lowness 72 fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 4, 2018

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Lowness 72 posted:

Woodford is usually $12-$15 a pour for me. This is across multiple major metropolitan areas.

And in NYC I regularly see it for like $22 :(

Is that standard woodford or something like woodford double oaked?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
You know I'm not sure to be honest. I see the price tag and just go with something else usually.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

so in other words, everyone needs to try Mellow Corn?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Missing Name posted:

so in other words, everyone needs to try Mellow Corn?

At that price point I'd be all over that if I could actually find any around here.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Quiet Feet posted:

At that price point I'd be all over that if I could actually find any around here.

Me too, but I'm pretty sure it's impossible to find here.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I've already posted this in the Europe travel megathread, but I'm planning on a two-week vacation to Ireland in late-August/September (dates still not confirmed since I have to square it with work) and was looking at visiting at least one distillery there. Are there any highly-recommended distillery tours there?

My plan is to circle the island in a rented car from Dublin to Cork, Galway, Derry, Belfast, and then back to Dublin. Anything on that path would be ideal, but even if it's an extra hour's drive wouldn't put me off (I'm Canadian, we drive everywhere).

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

mojo1701a posted:

I've already posted this in the Europe travel megathread, but I'm planning on a two-week vacation to Ireland in late-August/September (dates still not confirmed since I have to square it with work) and was looking at visiting at least one distillery there. Are there any highly-recommended distillery tours there?

My plan is to circle the island in a rented car from Dublin to Cork, Galway, Derry, Belfast, and then back to Dublin. Anything on that path would be ideal, but even if it's an extra hour's drive wouldn't put me off (I'm Canadian, we drive everywhere).

Thankfully most of the distilleries in Ireland are situated around the coastal ring, so you'll have a bunch to choose from. But if you can only do one, I'd recommend going inland to do the Kilbeggan tour, if only because their place is so historical and beautiful. The whiskey's good, too - but they've got a really cool distillery that's worth seeing.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Weltlich posted:

Thankfully most of the distilleries in Ireland are situated around the coastal ring, so you'll have a bunch to choose from. But if you can only do one, I'd recommend going inland to do the Kilbeggan tour, if only because their place is so historical and beautiful. The whiskey's good, too - but they've got a really cool distillery that's worth seeing.

Ooh, they also have an option to bottle your own. I'm still open to other options, however. Unfortunately, I'm trying to figure out what would be the best way to fit this into my travel plans.

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
the problem with drinking half the bottle of whiskey in one night, is that you gotta go get another bottle the next day.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

mojo1701a posted:

Ooh, they also have an option to bottle your own. I'm still open to other options, however. Unfortunately, I'm trying to figure out what would be the best way to fit this into my travel plans.

I don't know if Cooley is still doing tours or not, but they're owned by Suntory, too, and are making Connemara and a few others. They'd also be on the Belfast -> Dublin leg of the route. Kilbeggan's a good day-trip out of Dublin, so if you're there a couple of days, I'd do that.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

mojo1701a posted:

The Irish Whiskey Museum in Dublin is really charming. It's not a distillery, but had a ton of history about the history of Irish whiskey. If the Guinness "tour" was expensive corporate marketing, the museum was built on a shoestring budget with as much love as possible.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Seconding that. I had a day trip to Dublin last year and spent a nice couple of hours there.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

add me to the Mellow Corn Appreciation Club. Best $13 bottle I've ever tasted.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Hadn't tried Woodford before, and I dig.

Warm weather got me in the cocktails mood, so decided to make a bastard Old Fashioned. Didn't have any orange or the bitters, but went with lime, sugar and plenty of pure ice. Just as tasty...

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Local bottle shop had this on clearance for $20, so I broke down even though I'm trying to save my booze money this month for vacation.

Sorry for the huge pic, phone posting.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Has anyone tried the Evan Williams Bottled in Bond? How is it? I know the 1783 and single barrel are good, is it similar? The liquor store has it really cheap for a 1.75l, but it’s only in 1.75l bottles and that’s a big commitment when it’s 100 proof.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Has anyone tried the Evan Williams Bottled in Bond? How is it? I know the 1783 and single barrel are good, is it similar? The liquor store has it really cheap for a 1.75l, but it’s only in 1.75l bottles and that’s a big commitment when it’s 100 proof.

I just checked and it's only available here in 1.75L. $29+tax I like 1783, it's good cooking bourbon but Fighting Cock is a much better bourbon and is $14-17 for a fifth.

Jim Beam Bonded was on sale so I decided to try a bottle and it's enjoyable. Not complex on any scale but a good basic sipping bourbon.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It's not amazing, and not amazingly bad either - inoffensive in a good way. It's one that is a good mixing bourbon, but I wouldn't seek it out for my first choice for sipping. But I've sipped it on rocks and haven't been let down by it. Def. needs some water to open up the nose on it, one or two ice cubes will do it. Probably wouldn't go out of my way to buy it again, but it's not bad. I've paid more for worse whiskey.

EDIT: I just looked up the mash bill, and it's a high-corn bourbon at 75%. (Mellow Corn is 90% for reference.). So, this is a hair's breadth away from being a corn whiskey, lacking only a 5% adjustment in the mash bill and it was aged on new oak rather than used. Also realized it is a Heaven Hill product, which is unsurprising.

Weltlich fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 12, 2018

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Imo bourbon should be allowed to be aged in refill cask. But mah cooperage jerbs!!!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

spankmeister posted:

Imo bourbon should be allowed to be aged in refill cask. But mah cooperage jerbs!!!

Don't gently caress up the white oak tide to Ireland and Scotland, my dude.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Or bourbon barrel aged beer.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

I was all about EW BiB until I tried OGD BiB. I haven't bought it since. That said, I think there are worse options for that price point.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It’s $25-26 here, which is by far the cheapest BiB option I have seen in CO. I might pick it up to drink after I move on Saturday. Lord knows I’ll need it.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I'm thinking of a trip to Scotland in the very near future. I don't think I can make it to Islay since we'll probably only be doing 5 days but any whisky related things I should definitely not miss? I'm still in the planning stages so no firm itinerary.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Lowness 72 posted:

I'm thinking of a trip to Scotland in the very near future. I don't think I can make it to Islay since we'll probably only be doing 5 days but any whisky related things I should definitely not miss? I'm still in the planning stages so no firm itinerary.

Around Speyside's going to be the best bet if you can't get out to Islay. Literally can't throw a rock without hitting a scotch distillery in Speyside.

Of particular note, go visit Glen Farclas, I've always enjoyed spending time with them whenever I've had the chance to visit.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I just bought a Stagg Jr and a High West Yippee Ki Yay for $130 total. I feel like I’ve won some sort of shelf prize.

Saddamnit
Jul 5, 2003

I have brained my damage.
Don't know what all the fuss is over Mellow Corn. I bought a bottle last weekend because of what people were saying about it in this thread. For $15 I guess it's alright, but I prefer my Two Stars much more.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Saddamnit posted:

...For $15 I guess it's alright...

I think that's the biggest thing. Whiskey prices have been inflating over the past decade, and to find a $15 bottle that isn't absolute rotgut is honestly pretty astonishing. I've had $40, 375ml bottles of super-small-batch-ultra-special-micro-distillery-exclusive whiskies that were just as pedestrian and inoffensive as Mellow Corn. It's a bottle I never feel bad about mixing, or pouring some into a marinade, or pouring a finger for myself while I'm waiting to flip the steaks. Jefferson Presidential 17yr it's not, but it's passable and versatile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Saddamnit posted:

Don't know what all the fuss is over Mellow Corn. I bought a bottle last weekend because of what people were saying about it in this thread. For $15 I guess it's alright, but I prefer my Two Stars much more.

It's supposed to be $10.