Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I'll probably go Castellan based on it not having a silly harpoon

Objectively the worst opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

I just got back from preordering the Castellan. It's more useful for my army and I honestly like the look of the weapons better.

Going to be a long wait till next weekend. I guess I need to start thinking about paint schemes now.

I'm excited to paint mine in candycoat red to match my other knight, as well as finally getting around to painting my armigers. I'll need to build and probably magnetize another knight after that so I can do a proper detachment, which is a bit annoying. Hopefully I have enough angron red and don't need to figure out how to do my scheme with tamiya paints.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I will probably just get the Helvarins and paint the four baby mechs before I decide how to move beyond that. Two Warglaives and a Helvarin is 502 points, so with my 998 points of painted DW I can have a full 1500 painted.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
I’ve run the chappy Dreadnought a few times with Deathwatch, it rules. Mine has Lascannons and bolters and sits with the 24” range boys providing antitank and assaulting if the opportunit presents itself. Keep a captain nearby and it’s hitting/wounding on rerollable 2’s with stratagems, and it’s a character so it qualifies for the ‘shoot before you die’ stratagem too.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I'm sort of leaning toward House Hawkshroud as their homeworld is remarked to be particularly close to Baal and I'm trying to theme my army around Dante's war in the Imperium Nihilus. I'm not a fan of the fact that Hawkshroud is the obvious powergamer choice- at least so far- and I'm really not a fan of painting all that yellow. I feel like I might be able to get away with doing mostly black yellow trim which could be pretty fun to paint.

House http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/House_Orhlacc is supposed to have served alongside the Blood Angels as well but I'm not completely convinced the paint scheme would go well with the rest of my stuff:

Edit2: Actually I feel like that might look really good with my darker than normal red for my Blood Angels. Hmmm.

Pendent fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 3, 2018

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Badablack posted:

I’ve run the chappy Dreadnought a few times with Deathwatch, it rules. Mine has Lascannons and bolters and sits with the 24” range boys providing antitank and assaulting if the opportunit presents itself. Keep a captain nearby and it’s hitting/wounding on rerollable 2’s with stratagems, and it’s a character so it qualifies for the ‘shoot before you die’ stratagem too.

Sit him in front of the Watch Master and just re-roll goddamn everything, including hits when some fool actually charges me

Booley posted:

I think the inferno cannon is great if you have a way to deliver it, otherwise the twin lascannon is great because it's not targetable, so you can stand in the back and snipe.

I picked up the Inferno cannon, figure if I need a Lascannon I can swap it off my Deathwatch Ven Dread. The strength 6 is great against a couple Death Guard opponents I play against, and the 2 damage will help against all these dang FNPs floatin around

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

How are you guys getting the Chaplain Dread in Deathwatch in BattleScribe (It’s so bad)? I’m struggling.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
No idea what Battlescribe’s problem is, but one of the FAQs lets you take all the forgeworld nonsense with all the marine factions, except grey knights I think.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Harkano posted:

How are you guys getting the Chaplain Dread in Deathwatch in BattleScribe (It’s so bad)? I’m struggling.

For some reason whoever manages the marine and csm datafiles has put the FW options into a separate file. To add it, go to edit forces, click on the detachment you want to put the FW units in, click add, and then select Imperium - FW Adeptus Astartes or Chaos - FW Heretic Astartes. It'll add them as a child detachment, so it'll track them properly for unit count in the detachment. It won't track relic units properly, the FW detachment needs to be the parent for that to work.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Pendent posted:

I'm sort of leaning toward House Hawkshroud as their homeworld is remarked to be particularly close to Baal and I'm trying to theme my army around Dante's war in the Imperium Nihilus. I'm not a fan of the fact that Hawkshroud is the obvious powergamer choice- at least so far- and I'm really not a fan of painting all that yellow. I feel like I might be able to get away with doing mostly black yellow trim which could be pretty fun to paint.

House http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/House_Orhlacc is supposed to have served alongside the Blood Angels as well but I'm not completely convinced the paint scheme would go well with the rest of my stuff:

Edit2: Actually I feel like that might look really good with my darker than normal red for my Blood Angels. Hmmm.

I think having a visual distinction in livery between the Blood Angels and a giant fuckoff stompy robit towering over them would be pretty thematic, I wouldn't sweat the difference.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Im going castellan, partly because it has the same (scaled down) weapons as my warlord but the sheer hate it spits out at long range isnt a joke with the relic plasma.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hencoe posted:

Im going castellan, partly because it has the same (scaled down) weapons as my warlord but the sheer hate it spits out at long range isnt a joke with the relic plasma.

I’ve heard that mentioned a few times but haven’t seen the rules- can you shoot me a link?

E: All I see is something on BOLS where basically the entire statline gets buffed by 1- baseline is Heavy D6, S8, AP-4 D2 and overcharged it goes up to S9 D 3. Seems pretty solid

Pendent fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 4, 2018

Gunder
May 22, 2003

How do you guys go about storing and transporting awkward models? The Foetid Bloat Drone from the Dark Imperium box seems perfectly designed to never fit securely in a carry case without putting pressure on some small vulnerable part of the model or joint.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I didn't get to participate in the bugeater GT this year because I was feeling like crap, but this was my favorite army there, painted by a friend of mine.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Pendent posted:

I’ve heard that mentioned a few times but haven’t seen the rules- can you shoot me a link?

This video has pretty much the full codex. Relics are at the linked time.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Pendent posted:

I have a knight painted in ohrlacc colors, it was a lot of fun to do. Paint your knight in the colors of the House of Weird Albino Mushroom
People.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Nice, that profile I just found on Bolter and Chainsword was right. Being able to rip apart squads of Primaris without even overcharging sounds hilarious. Requires a Mechanicus allegiance but that’s not a huge deal. I think.

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I have a knight painted in ohrlacc colors, it was a lot of fun to do. Paint your knight in the colors of the House of Weird Albino Mushroom
People.

Do you mind posting a picture for me? Most of what I’ve been seeing online is a lighter purple than the color plate that I’m not really feeling as much.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

S.J. posted:

I didn't get to participate in the bugeater GT this year because I was feeling like crap, but this was my favorite army there, painted by a friend of mine.

Just like to say that for all the garishness of this colour scheme, the cherry blossom colour and the quality of the blending 100% makes this work.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I absolutely loving love it. I love bright, colorful schemes.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Cross-posting becase Immanentized is a loving boss. Thanks again for sending me that spear.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Pendent posted:

Nice, that profile I just found on Bolter and Chainsword was right. Being able to rip apart squads of Primaris without even overcharging sounds hilarious. Requires a Mechanicus allegiance but that’s not a huge deal. I think.

Personally im going raven because I use my knights with my skitarii, and advancing all the time is good but that stratagem of theirs on a castellan sounds absolutely terrifying.

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Yeah I drive a minivan, big deal, wanna fight about it?
I’m a week late for walker weekend, but Bjorn is finally ready to crush the Thousand Sons just in time for the codex.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hencoe posted:

Personally im going raven because I use my knights with my skitarii, and advancing all the time is good but that stratagem of theirs on a castellan sounds absolutely terrifying.

If I have to go with a Mechanicum allegiance to take that relic plasma gun I sort of want to do Taranis because they’re just sort of generally cool but that Raven Strategem sounds incredibly strong for sure.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
My first game of 8th went great. Played the basic bitch maelstrom scenario (cleanse?).

My list:
1500 pts hive fleet Gorgon

Broodlord [8 PL, 162pts]: Power: The Horror

Hive Tyrant [11 PL, 239pts]: Adrenal Glands, Heavy Venom Cannon, Lash Whip and Monstrous Bonesword, Power: Catalyst, Power: The Horror, The Miasma Cannon, Toxin Sacs, Warlord, Warlord Trait: Lethal Miasma, Wings

Genestealers [16 PL, 320pts]: 5x Acid Maw
. 20x Genestealer: 20x Rending Claws, 20x Scything Talons, 20x Toxin Sacs

Hormagaunts [6 PL, 55pts]: 11x Hormagaunt

Termagants [9 PL, 180pts]
15x Termagant (Devourer)15x Termagant (Fleshborer)

Venomthropes [5 PL, 90pts]: 3x Venomthrope

Trygon Prime [10 PL, 212pts]: Adrenal Glands, 3x Massive Scything Talons, Toxin Sacs, Toxinspike

Tyrannofex [11 PL, 239pts]: Rupture Cannon, Stinger Salvo, Toxin Sacs

His list was Death guard, something like:
Lord of Contagion
Psyker guy

2 x 7 man plague marine squads with assorted stuff

2 x 10 man poxwalkers

death guard demon tank
drone
leviathan dread with the gun that does d3 hits per 5 guys in target unit
some sort of plague hauler

I zinged up the table and scored some cards pretty fast, got up to 3 vp pretty quickly, but then got unlucky with tactical cards and got a bunch of poo poo I couldnt do. My tyrannofex took huge chunks out of both the levi dread and the tank. Flyrant shot the tank to death with his miasma cannon a turn later. Genestealers and termagants blew out all the poxwalkers but then my stealers got mired in a unit of death guard and the hauler and slowly got ground down due to my bad dice and his durability. My flyrant got in a melee battle with the lord of contation, whos 4++/4+++ was fuckin infurating and he tanked the flyrant for 4 turns before killing him, much to my dismay. When the flyrant went down, that gave him a 3 vp swing due to various cards and slaying my warlord. We ended the game tied 4-4 at the end of turn 4 because we ran out of time.

Really awesome game, the nids played as I hoped they would. It was fast and dynamic with enough shooting to be dangerous. His list was much more tanky and at one point I was like "man I am kicking the poo poo out of him" but then the tables slowly turned and attrition was probably even at the end of 4.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Hawkshroud gets a 4++ against MWs from powers though. That, their tradition, and the stratagem letting them do Greater Good overwatches is pretty great. Their warlord trait is okay, I'd probably just take the 4++ invuln.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Pendent posted:

Do you mind posting a picture for me? Most of what I’ve been seeing online is a lighter purple than the color plate that I’m not really feeling as much.

I posted it for walker weekend but I love attention so here it is:

I didn’t find good manticore decals so I used parts of the legio gryphonicus transfer sheet.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Also, Page 999 - TZEENTCH IS CALLING.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So, I have a question for the Admech players out there- but really anyone can probably help me out! I know that Grey Knights are personae non gratae in the 8th edition, but would a detachment of them fielded with the adeptus mechanicus make any kind of sense? The Admech have no real defense in the physic phase unless they are from a certain Forgeworld, and the knights bring protection against that as well as close combat fighters.

Bad idea? I really like the idea of being a Deimos/GK army, but I’d rather not throw away a few hundred bucks in the name of a fluffy list that will rarely if ever beat my pals.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

Hawkshroud gets a 4++ against MWs from powers though. That, their tradition, and the stratagem letting them do Greater Good overwatches is pretty great. Their warlord trait is okay, I'd probably just take the 4++ invuln.

Hawkshroud can’t take the relic plasma gun that looks so fun. More than that I really don’t want to seem more power-gamey than I already do when I take a Knight. Hawkshroud is very, very good though yes.

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I posted it for walker weekend but I love attention so here it is:

I didn’t find good manticore decals so I used parts of the legio gryphonicus transfer sheet.

That looks amazing and is significantly far above my painting skill level. What’s your recipe for that blue?

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Hencoe posted:

I had been looking at a Knight Valiant until I saw that relic and that strategem. Probably getting a Castellan now. Seems good.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Is a Transcendent C'tan sufficient for taking out hard targets? Seems like a really flexible heavy option.

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Necrons) [77 PL, 1544pts] ++

Dynasty Choice: Dynasty: Sautekh

+ HQ +

Cryptek [5 PL, 95pts]: Chronometron, Staff of Light

Orikan the Diviner [6 PL, 115pts]

Overlord [6 PL, 139pts]: Resurrection Orb, Voidscythe

+ Troops +

Immortals [8 PL, 170pts]: Gauss Blaster, 10x Immortal

Necron Warriors [12 PL, 240pts]: 20x Necron Warrior

Necron Warriors [12 PL, 240pts]: 20x Necron Warrior

+ Heavy Support +

Transcendent C'tan [12 PL, 225pts]

+ Dedicated Transport +

Ghost Ark [8 PL, 160pts]

Ghost Ark [8 PL, 160pts]

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (Necrons) [25 PL, 454pts] ++

Dynasty Choice: Dynasty: Nephrekh

+ HQ +

Cryptek [5 PL, 85pts]: Canoptek Cloak, Staff of Light

+ Fast Attack +

Canoptek Scarabs [2 PL, 39pts]: 3x Canoptek Scarab Swarm

Canoptek Wraiths [9 PL, 165pts]: 3x Canoptek Wraith

Canoptek Wraiths [9 PL, 165pts]: 3x Canoptek Wraith

++ Total: [102 PL, 1998pts] ++

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So, I have a question for the Admech players out there- but really anyone can probably help me out! I know that Grey Knights are personae non gratae in the 8th edition, but would a detachment of them fielded with the adeptus mechanicus make any kind of sense? The Admech have no real defense in the physic phase unless they are from a certain Forgeworld, and the knights bring protection against that as well as close combat fighters.

Bad idea? I really like the idea of being a Deimos/GK army, but I’d rather not throw away a few hundred bucks in the name of a fluffy list that will rarely if ever beat my pals.

If you really want anti-Psyker stuff, I'd probably go with an Inquisitor Supreme Command. They're Imperium keyworded so their leadership aura and powers work and they are reasonably effective combat units with a Storm Bolter and Power Maul for 61 points. The other efficient option is an Assassin vanguard. 1 Culexis can put a bit of hurt on a psyker and you can fill it out with a couple of Eversors.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

NovemberMike posted:

If you really want anti-Psyker stuff, I'd probably go with an Inquisitor Supreme Command. They're Imperium keyworded so their leadership aura and powers work and they are reasonably effective combat units with a Storm Bolter and Power Maul for 61 points. The other efficient option is an Assassin vanguard. 1 Culexis can put a bit of hurt on a psyker and you can fill it out with a couple of Eversors.

Assassin vanguard is an interesting idea, thanks! I can get to 1000 points with what I have plus vanguard, which is what my friends and I have agreed upon to stay at for a while. I’ll mainly be facing 1000 sons and the death guard, both of which it looks like the assassins would be effective against.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Have they said if the Armiger Autocannons will be available outside a Helverin box? I've got two unassembled Armigers from a Forgebane box, and I'd love to magnetize them so that I can swap them between Helverins and Warglaives.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Duct Tape posted:

Have they said if the Armiger Autocannons will be available outside a Helverin box? I've got two unassembled Armigers from a Forgebane box, and I'd love to magnetize them so that I can swap them between Helverins and Warglaives.

They haven't officially said but I really, really, really, really doubt you'll be able to buy them officially from GW. You can get them off ebay, though.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
I've been toying with Astra Militarium detachments with my AdMech. It allows me to get cheap troops to clog up the board and soak up smite damage. You can build a battalion for next to nothing. I've been testing Primaris Psykers as my HQs. It's been underwhelming, but it gives me something.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

They haven't officially said but I really, really, really, really doubt you'll be able to buy them officially from GW. You can get them off ebay, though.

Unless we see recastings I suspect getting bits will be super rare.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There's also not much hope for finding them on eBay since that's all that kit makes.

Although Wyvern guns would probably be the next best thing.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Unless we see recastings I suspect getting bits will be super rare.

Is it a dual kit with the warglave? If so I could see some appearing on there, but they will probably be so expensive it's better just buying the kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

EvilBeard posted:

I've been toying with Astra Militarium detachments with my AdMech. It allows me to get cheap troops to clog up the board and soak up smite damage. You can build a battalion for next to nothing. I've been testing Primaris Psykers as my HQs. It's been underwhelming, but it gives me something.

Yeah, that is an option that I’ve been toying with/reading about. Of my friends I am the only Imperium player, so I can of feel behooved to pull from more than one faction. What does your detachment consist of? I’m new to the game and am really on just starting to wrap my head around list building.