Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

:regd16:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Accordion Man posted:

You really weren't paying attention then, actively ignoring it, or weren't even here before it happened. I browsed GBS a bunch prior to that but then I stopped when it essentially just became /pol/. I saw people just completely drop the site because the moderation did nothing to stop the outright bigotry that was running rampant back then. They let all the proto-CHUDs fester instead of just banning them like they should have and they destroyed pretty much all the sense of community this site had, which despite any flaws it had actually drew people to the site; its what brought me here for example and I doubt I was an outlier.

This is not what drew people to the site. Because this is not what drew me here.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The internet that allowed Something Awful at its height to create masterpieces of nihilistic humor like tribute.wmv no longer exists. We can't go home anymore and we need to accept it.

Likewise the "SJWs" we mocked in 2013 for being humorless moral scolds turned out, in hindsight, to be waaaaaaay less obnoxious and societally damaging than the CHUD brigades that we didn't realize existed beyond the confines of YouTube comments sections.

Perhaps, the truth... is somewhere... in the middle.

Honestly I mostly agree with you.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Paladinus posted:

This is not what drew people to the site. Because this is not what drew me here.

GBS has always been the biggest subforum

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Gotta say if there's one thing I agree with Accordion Man on it's that we can't afford to be "lol nothing matters" comedic nihilists any more. As we learned to our detriment in 2016, it turns out that some things do matter and earnesty can't always be met with derision and mocking people for caring about things.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

I try to make some content threads (like Star Trek doodles and original-character-do-not-steal-dragons) but honestly people also just rush in and out and barely look at or support anyone who is making anything new. There was a time when "request a doodle of Star Trek thing and I'll do it" would have been something more than like 3 goons would get excited about. If we had :moments: now it would just be shitted into the ground day one.

I try to remain neutral in the love-pick-hate-pick nonsense, but goddamn this is a hilariously arrogant post

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Drunk Nerds posted:

I try to remain neutral in the love-pick-hate-pick nonsense, but goddamn this is a hilariously arrogant post

It's a loving fact I've produced more original content than most GBS posters.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

It's a loving fact I've produced more original content than most GBS posters.

I 100% agree wIth this. You've also derailed just as many threads by refusing to budge on your original opinion.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Drunk Nerds posted:

I 100% agree wIth this. You've also derailed just as many threads by refusing to budge on your original opinion.

How dare people have convictions? :confused:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Pro-Pick/anti-Pick slapfights are definitely an SA saga.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Pick a side imo

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Comedy is not dead folks

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

How dare people have convictions? :confused:

You just bitched because your "high effort" doodles about Star Trek weren't well received, and decided to blame the readers rather than the creator.'

Yeah, you deserve some goddamn shade. Sorry if that's too real for your stuck up, genetically extended, richie rear end in a top hat.

You want to go another round? Seriously I'm on your side in like 50% of these pick-fork inquisitions, but you just completely overstepped, and put down all of GBS in the process

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
lmao what the gently caress

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Drunk Nerds posted:

You just bitched because your "high effort" doodles about Star Trek weren't well received, and decided to blame the reader rather than the creator.'

Yeah, you deserve some goddamn shade. Sorry if that's too real for your stuck up, genetically extended, richie rear end in a top hat.

You want to go another round?

Lol dude

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
like what... sort of... coherent point are you trying to make here?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Drunk Nerds got a bone to pick with you.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Gotta say if there's one thing I agree with Accordion Man on it's that we can't afford to be "lol nothing matters" comedic nihilists any more. As we learned to our detriment in 2016, it turns out that some things do matter and earnesty can't always be met with derision and mocking people for caring about things.
Yeah, this is pretty much the crux of what I'm trying to say. We can still be funny, you just have to avoid the chronic irony poisoning.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

there's just a lot of people trying to be the most aloof and cool, and they all suck.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Drunk Nerds got a bone to pick with you.

I usually like pick threads. She's right: she generates a ton of good content. But lately, GBS has been pleading with her to stop the bigoted, misogynistic posts if only for her own mental health. And she's responded by blaming GBS. This is literally what we were just complaining about in the treatment of SJWs.

This whole "I offered to make scribbles of an extinct show for nerd assholes and people didnt respond becUse of the horribleness of the site, and not because my idea sucks" is representative of this, and I'l be damned if Im gonna just let you throw shade at the largest section of these boards because you have some sort of rear end in a top hat disorder.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Drunk Nerds posted:

I try to remain neutral in the love-pick-hate-pick nonsense

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm not even going to touch the Pick discussion, but I have to say I agree with Accordion. I used to browse GBS a bunch back then too. I liked the megathread format since it made it easier to find news or interesting content and effort threads; compared to now where jokethreads outnumber these kind of threads exponentially.

Every time I try GBS again, I don't really find much worth reading. And when I do find good OP it's difficult to stick with a topic when most of the posts early in the thread are jokes about balls instead of discussion.

It always seemed like GBS 2.0 was unessecary when we have FYAD and BYOB for shitposting. Where GBS 1.0 was for random discussion and bullshitting, there was nothing to replace it.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Pick is cool

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Drunk Nerds posted:

I usually like pick threads. She's right: she generates a ton of good content. But lately, GBS has been pleading with her to stop the bigoted, misogynistic posts if only for her own mental health. And she's responded by blaming GBS. This is literally what we were just complaining about in the treatment of SJWs.

This whole "I offered to make scribbles of an extinct show for nerd assholes and people didnt respond becUse of the horribleness of the site, and not because my idea sucks" is representative of this, and I'l be damned if Im gonna just let you throw shade at the largest section of these boards because you have some sort of rear end in a top hat disorder.

I'm sure GBS would just fall apart if you weren't here to defend the worst subforum on this site

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's me, im the one making gbs misogynistic

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gotta say if there's one thing I agree with Accordion Man on it's that we can't afford to be "lol nothing matters" comedic nihilists any more.

This is the single biggest problem with the site's culture right now, but also it's happening in our real culture so I don't know if there's an easy fix for it.

The default reaction to any sort of effort is "lol you care about something, how dumb is that" and that's a super easy way to just kill any sort of creativity.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think GBS is pretty OK right now. It's not as fun as it used to be, but it's not as bad as it used to be either. It's like an Entenmann's coffee cake. Not the most delicious coffee cake, but better than not having coffee cake at all.

Now I want coffee cake. Should we get a coffee cake guys? I don't wanna buy one if I'm the only one eating it.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think GBS is pretty OK right now. It's not as fun as it used to be, but it's not as bad as it used to be either. It's like an Entenmann's coffee cake. Not the most delicious coffee cake, but better than not having coffee cake at all.

Now I want coffee cake. Should we get a coffee cake guys? I don't wanna buy one if I'm the only one eating it.

Make your own smaller coffee cake

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's way too late in the day for me for coffee cake, sorry.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I'm in for coffee cake :buddy:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The glory days of dark humor, nihilism, offensive jokes and all that ironic nasty posting isn't fun anymore because now that's what people are like in real life. The new internet counterculture is being nice to each other and fighting for what's right because of gamergaters, MAGAchuds, and Incels. They ruined everything.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

You just can't get enough of your turn at the buzzsaw, can you? Let me break it down differently:

- This thread was complaining about the tolerance of weird SJW threads, and how that allowance-of-bigotry hurt the overall impression and revenue of the site

- You came in and went "yeah, what's up with those losers," when your threads are easily some of the most bigoted nonsense ever.

Pick posted:

Hmmm, maybe don't make a thread specifically asking for people to hate on women. Seriously, how disconnected can you be? You literally made a thread asking people to bitch about women, now you're acting like you are blameless in misogyny.

The saddest part is that, hey, that thread's pretty tame, honestly compared to the bible of discriminatory Pick posts. I tried to find another recent one, where you post about autists trying to kill their parents and advocates that all autists are horrible, but it was mercifully gassed or something . I don't know wtf this gassed thread is all about, but it should let everyone know how shitposty your threads can be, recently.

Also, let's not forget the fact that you have recently closed a bunch of your threads, one was ALREADY A STAR TREK THREAD (so sorry we're not generating enough interest in your low-effort Star Trek threads after you literally closed one). Once you even closed after posting, "this thread bores me now." So, yeah, people don't want to effort post in your threads anymore, guess you'd better blame your audience.

Again, I liked a ton of Pick posts. Even the controversial ones generated some good content, and I look forward to reading more of your efforts that are not rooted in hatred. Old Pick posts were generally a good bet, but in the last few weeks it's been a huge uptick in pushing bigoted nonsense/low effort fanservice. I wouldn't normally have a problem with that, but if you're going to wander into a discussion about how tolerating bigots kinda tanked this site and act like you are on the good team, then drat, yeah, I'm gonna hold serve.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Drunk Nerds posted:

Hmmm, maybe don't make a thread specifically asking for people to hate on women. Seriously, how disconnected can you be? You literally made a thread asking people to bitch about women, now you're acting like you are blameless in misogyny.

If this is your proof of pick bigotry you should probably log off for a while

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I don't think this thread is the right place for attempted call-outs, Drunk Nerds. Typically it sources its drama from elsewhere on the forums.

May I interest you in getting in on this coffee cake deal? I'm worried if it's just me and Solice it won't go down.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I'm down for some coffee cake.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
women do like robert carlyle and baskets. sorry bumbo, but i deal in facts only :smug:

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
I've half wondered if the slew of "i'm gay" "bad thread" "gas thread ban op" posts that invariably show up at the start of every GBS thread in some furiously contested race to be the one to care the least are why there's not really much content anymore. I kinda still want those old mspaint CYOA style things back like that red/yellow/blue one or Dropsy. Hell i'd even take Microbe at this point, it was a good concept but the creator overhyped it way too loving much.

I never actually liked the "You learned only spite" one though because of everyone acting all coy and weirdly smug whenever someone came in and asked if it was a real DOS game, then got legit angry if someone actually tried to explain that it was just made up. It felt too much like they were deliberately trying to set up a clique in there and that poo poo never goes anywhere worth going.

Thing is the shitposts you find early on in GBS threads only usually tend to persist for the first or second page, beyond that they tend to go away or get probated if they keep up after that.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
What's there not to like about Robert Carlyle?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I always feel like he's about to say the c-word :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Trainspotting, Ravenous.