Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Third World Reggin posted:

kill dargyn pilots before they hit the ground is the dumbest god drat thing
𝕄𝕖𝕤𝕒

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I did it with mag since magnetize stops them from moving but if you blow them up at the same time it doesn't count since they need to be falling or some dumb poo poo

gently caress you sliding dargyn pilot mission

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it wasn't even all that big a jump

With some mods it was pretty big. Like almost a bullet jump.

It’s funny thinking back to a time when map mobility was so limited. There are a lot of areas they made to be hard to get to that aren’t anything anymore.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

randombattle posted:

With some mods it was pretty big. Like almost a bullet jump.

It’s funny thinking back to a time when map mobility was so limited. There are a lot of areas they made to be hard to get to that aren’t anything anymore.

The game was full of bugs back then too, and there were a lot of animation glitches. Now you can just bulletjump instead of the old "oh just write a macro" jumps, but I've actually found the mobility now to be a little less powerful.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

randombattle posted:

I didn't get far in the game back in the day, but a vertical bullet jump still feels like a cheat code.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Cicadalek posted:

Remember when you used to get like 4 revives PER DAY, with the option of paying plat for more

It was 4 revives per frame I think, I remember people would use their least favourite to do hard stuff so that they could continue to play later.

hirvox posted:

I didn't get far in the game back in the day, but a vertical bullet jump still feels like a cheat code.

It doesn't seem like a big deal imo when you have nova, titania and zephyr, but I do remember those hidden treasure rooms and stuff felt really special to find.

I hope they make those bullet jump damage mods an innate part of the movement, they're a good idea but just not worth using a mod slot for.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

TheMostFrench posted:

It was 4 revives per frame I think, I remember people would use their least favourite to do hard stuff so that they could continue to play later.

That sounds like a good way to encourage diversity. Actually it's a bad way to force diversity, but it's better than what's in game now, which is nothing.

The game should give bonus focus or something for playing your least used frames, give me a reason to actually play Nyx.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Avulsion posted:

That sounds like a good way to encourage diversity. Actually it's a bad way to force diversity, but it's better than what's in game now, which is nothing.

The game should give bonus focus or something for playing your least used frames, give me a reason to actually play Nyx.
I'm pretty content to just play what I want to play.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Elysiume posted:

I'm pretty content to just play what I want to play.

I play what I want as well. Today I decided to dust off my Ember Prime and go into elite onslaught. I got matched up with 3 Saryns. 2 of the Saryns immediately quit in the first round, and were replaced by 2 more Saryns.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Avulsion posted:

I feel like the way it is now isa good way to encourage diversity. You get to try everything and but when you find the one that just clicks with you, you build upon it. And then you find another and repeat.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Samuringa posted:

Also, gotta get some Toxicity defenses because that's seriously wrecking me :(

Oberon's Hallowed Ground removes debuffs when you stand in it, it's not stated in the ability description but it exists.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
There's a few things that block statuses, always look up what your frames powers do on the wiki, basically.

Getting the various Team Health/Energy/Ammo/Shield restores from Syndicates or the clan labs can make moments of getting caught out easier to deal with. Hot key your first six or whatever gear slots to F1 to F6 and have a healing potion a button press away. Might take a few index runs to cover the BP cost (get the x10 versions) but worth it.

Also the Hard disc Defection story makes me feel bad about getting Harrow Systems on my first try yesterday. Didn't mean to be a luck vampire.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Avulsion posted:

no

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Samuringa posted:

I had around 7 Neurovisors and 9 Systems before the Rhino Chassis finally dropped :v:

I was grinding for Rhino bits yesterday and all 3 components dropped one after another. It felt pretty cool.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

njsykora posted:

I was grinding for Rhino bits yesterday and all 3 components dropped one after another. It felt pretty cool.
I had to run it a few times for systems to drop but in total I think I only ran it 4/5 times. I imagine those numbers are the bait for prime/whatever grinding taking hundreds of runs of tough things that I can't solo in a couple of minutes.

Speaking of Rhino though, I think he might be done baking so I will have to give him a shot soon.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Avulsion posted:

it's called mastery leveling

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

Is there any point to bringing a Mag to a group that mandates 4 corp pros and has a wide-range floorcleaning Equinox? I want to play Mag, but I have a feeling that it's just never going to work out for the group I usually run with. Is there hope?

Yes. Equinox needs others to build up charge (damage) for her nuke.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
This discussion has mostly died off, but there are a lot of vertical areas of the map that are scuffed up to indicate that you were supposed to wall climb:

Now, in the era of bullet jumping, they're mostly disregarded. Horizontal movement may be slower in a post-zorencopter world, but vertical movement is incomparably better.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Elysiume posted:

This discussion has mostly died off, but there are a lot of vertical areas of the map that are scuffed up to indicate that you were supposed to wall climb:

Now, in the era of bullet jumping, they're mostly disregarded. Horizontal movement may be slower in a post-zorencopter world, but vertical movement is incomparably better.

Those marks seem to have been re-purposed in a few tilesets to from "climb here" to secret poo poo near here"

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

njsykora posted:

I was grinding Rhino bits yesterday and eventually got all three drops but then I kept grinding because I thought there were four and boy did I feel dumb. :downs:

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I've had a lot of fun using Rhino to run some errands for the first time today. Iron Skin is very useful, the charge is fun and kind of similar to the dash n' slash I've gotten used to with Excalibur and he doesn't feel as slow as I thought he might do. I currently have all the Volt parts cooking and I'm looking forward to giving that a shot in a few days too. Then I'm coming for you Zephyr and Inaros! Just notably slower...

I ran an Onslaught mission before I knew what they were earlier on. My gear levelled up a whole bunch but I feel like that's probably not the place for that kind of thing. The mission prompt thing told me 20-30 though! By the time the enemies reached level 70-80 I was effectively useless because things just wouldn't die. Just got to keep powering up those mods and finding new/better ones I guess. I aren't entirely sure what I got for running the mission either to be honest, other than carried.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Is there any sort of player power level to compare against mission and enemy levels? I know what mastery and frame/gear levels are and those aren’t it. Is there any sort of enumeration of your ability that shows about the highest level enemy you can actually do damage to?

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Redundant posted:

I've had a lot of fun using Rhino to run some errands for the first time today. Iron Skin is very useful, the charge is fun and kind of similar to the dash n' slash I've gotten used to with Excalibur and he doesn't feel as slow as I thought he might do. I currently have all the Volt parts cooking and I'm looking forward to giving that a shot in a few days too. Then I'm coming for you Zephyr and Inaros! Just notably slower...

I ran an Onslaught mission before I knew what they were earlier on. My gear levelled up a whole bunch but I feel like that's probably not the place for that kind of thing. The mission prompt thing told me 20-30 though! By the time the enemies reached level 70-80 I was effectively useless because things just wouldn't die. Just got to keep powering up those mods and finding new/better ones I guess. I aren't entirely sure what I got for running the mission either to be honest, other than carried.

Regular onslaught really is the best place to level now, it rarely happens but you can get into a game where all 4 people are leveling stuff so no one has any damage. You can also always post in the clan, goons are always up for it from what I've seen.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Yodzilla posted:

Is there any sort of player power level to compare against mission and enemy levels? I know what mastery and frame/gear levels are and those aren’t it. Is there any sort of enumeration of your ability that shows about the highest level enemy you can actually do damage to?

There's not much of a correlation between MR and enemy levels - I'M MR 11 at the moment, but I've got frames that can just about handle themselves against lvl 100 enemies (mainly because I some dropped plat on some of the rarer mods for my Excal like Condition Overload, so now he owns bones). It's kind of difficult to equate MR with enemy level, because there's so many other things that determine player strength, most notably the level of your mods.

As a new-ish player, you can probably handle anything that has enemy levels 0-50. You might not deal as much damage as your teammates, but you can lean on them to carry you if you need to, and even if you aren't doing much damage, buffing your allies with Rhino's roar is always useful.

Enemies below level 50 are typically a cakewalk and you won't need specialized or optimized gear to deal with, but you'll begin to notice which enemies are greater pains in the rear end (gunners, bombards, eximus, etc) the closer you get to 50. If you're leveling gear or a frame, anything around those levels is fine, so regular Onslaught (which starts in the 20-30 range, but increases each level you complete) is perfect just for the sheer volume of kills it feeds your team.

Above level 50 is where you'll start dying a lot more and you'll need to be figuring out the best way to kill things asap. I'd recommend always bringing your best lvl 30 stuff here. Enemies have a lot more health, deal a lot more damage, and you'll notice things like Armor that apparently didn't exist before.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 4, 2018

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Ya you've noticed how armor scaling in this game may not actually be all that balanced, this trend continues with level 100+ enemies just as dramatically.

Rhino and Excal are still good frames to have at this point. If you can get a Condition Overload mod from someone in chat, and if you have a weapon with a catalyst in it, then you can very quickly make your Excalibur murder those level 70-80 enemies. And as McKilligan said even if you can't do damage on Rhino you can still Roar and Stomp. Both of those are crazy strong and pretty much always appreciated. The CC on stomp is always a breath of fresh air and has randomly saved my live plenty of times, and Roar buffs the gently caress out of your teammate's damage so even if you can't keep up with Roar your teammate's can probably go another zone or two, at least, with that boost.

MR and levels and such aren't the best gauge of how far a frame or weapon has been pushed and what content it can tackle. Some frames can almost ignore gear and make it pretty far; Inaros or Ash with a Covert Lethality dagger, and Nidus is a thing that exists. But usually you have to consider both, later when you have options this becomes a lot more easy and fun. Like I just started playing Mag again recently and she's pretty good on her own, but polarize has caused me to break out and forma the torrid and zakti. I love those three together, they do fuckin work, and it's real easy for me to see a bunch of other things I can combo with Mag at MR 24.

So really, MR and gear level aren't really a good gauge of what you can take on. Rather I'd look to how many gimmicks you're stacking on top of each other to bring to a fight.

In the beginning your gimmicks are things like 'i put a lot of strength and range on my Rhino and this poo poo is even more hilarious.' Later on an Excal Chromatic Blade/Condition Overload build likes to (although this is going to change a little bit with exalted weapons becoming their own separately modable things) bring the gimmick of the basic mods the Rhino was using in addition to 'my Exalted Blade now does elemental damage instead of physical, i've used this to make a viral or gas and blast blade with mods on my weapon (which may or may not be a Mire just for an extra +10% toxic mod), i'm bringing a taxon for it's guaranteed cold proc, my base mods mean i'm never running out of energy, resulting in a never ending chromatic exalted blade constantly doing in between 4.10x and 16.78x damage at least, no i haven't considered combo counter bonus damage yet.'

Gimmicks yo, stack gimmicks to win. Some things require less gimmicks to be silly, but the more you're stacking the further you'll go, generally speaking.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I committed to busting open all my lith relics tonight and I've been at it for 3 hours because they just won't loving stop dropping.

Anyway on mods, is the generally decent way to mod a weapon just to boost its inherent strengths? Like just whack as much heat boost on the heat sword as possible and ignore crit stuff on weapons with a low base crit chance?

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

No and yes.

In the example of the heat sword it does regular damage with the gimmick of doing a heat explosion on ground slams, so you'd want to focus on damage overall rather than just heat. But the second thing is kinda accurate, if a weapon has low crit then simply do not try to stack crit on it. You're far better off stacking status if it has decent status chance, and if it doesn't then you probably just want raw damage, maybe some range depending on the weapon, and particularly for melee weapons, maybe some extra speed of some sort.

You're right in that you want to play to a weapon's strengths, but those strengths are typically 'has high crit,' 'has high status,' or 'has a fuckload of base damage.'

There are also things like syndicate mods that can drastically change a weapon's performance.

Farmer Jimbo
Mar 11, 2005

CC Plox.
The Sobek is an underappreciated weapon. The following is my 100% status per pellet, before multi-shot build. You can swap the riven for toxic barrage and get the same thing with slightly less alpha damage (13k versus 8k) The "spy no blast" is fun at 19K and the default at 18k alpha respectively. And Chilling reload on the other builds makes it more fun. But holy butt this Sobek is dominant. The mod hidden by the riven is acid shells and if you swap spots with shell shock it becomes a viral/radiation weapon. Did I mention 100% status per pellet?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
watching twitch for skin drops is the real fashionframe hell :negative:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Farmer Jimbo posted:

The Sobek is an underappreciated weapon. The following is my 100% status per pellet, before multi-shot build. You can swap the riven for toxic barrage and get the same thing with slightly less alpha damage (13k versus 8k) The "spy no blast" is fun at 19K and the default at 18k alpha respectively. And Chilling reload on the other builds makes it more fun. But holy butt this Sobek is dominant. The mod hidden by the riven is acid shells and if you swap spots with shell shock it becomes a viral/radiation weapon. Did I mention 100% status per pellet?

unfortunately you absolutely need a status chance riven to hit 100% status and fit in both a riven and acid shells.

Farmer Jimbo
Mar 11, 2005

CC Plox.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

unfortunately you absolutely need a status chance riven to hit 100% status and fit in both a riven and acid shells.

This is true, however the setup is still completely dominant without a riven.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

njsykora posted:

I committed to busting open all my lith relics tonight and I've been at it for 3 hours because they just won't loving stop dropping.

Anyway on mods, is the generally decent way to mod a weapon just to boost its inherent strengths? Like just whack as much heat boost on the heat sword as possible and ignore crit stuff on weapons with a low base crit chance?

For weapon modding, this was a useful video for me -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3iln0ZSZyI

Granted, there are weapons that are extremely good at one specific thing and should be modded for that, such as weapons that have a particularly good crit or status chance, but those won't REALLY matter until you're tackling lvl 80+ enemies that you have to kill a specific way. For most weapons you want to be stacking as many different means of dealing extra damage as possible.

For example, on your heat sword, once I'd put on the usual +damage mods, the next thing I'd do is slap on another elemental mod. At lower levels, it doesn't really matter what you go with, but I like Blast just because it knocks enemies to the ground when it procs. And you don't lose any damage at all. If your Heat mod adds 500 damage, and your cold mod adds 500 damage, then you'll do 1000 blast damage. Then go ahead and slap on Fury so you're hitting more often, etc.

One thing to note, though, is the Modifying PHYSICAL damage sources (slash, piercing, or impact) gives much less of a bonus. For example, Let's say I have a gun (applies to mellee as well tho) that does 10 slash, 15 pierching, and 30 impact damage per bullet, for a total of 55 damage. If I have a mod that increases impact damage by 50%, that's only 50% of 30, or 15 extra damage. But I if have a mod that add 50% heat damage, that's 50% of the TOTAL damage, or 55 + 27.5 heat.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 4, 2018

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

As you push each thing (damage, elemental damage, multishot, ROF) further you get diminishing returns. So have all of them!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Two questions:

Does the discounting on Bladestorm work with any source of invisibility or just Smokescreen

How are people building Ash these days? I’m assuming a blend of duration and power with Arcane Trickery.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Captain Oblivious posted:

Two questions:

Does the discounting on Bladestorm work with any source of invisibility or just Smokescreen

How are people building Ash these days? I’m assuming a blend of duration and power with Arcane Trickery.

Any form of invisibility works. If you've got a max rank Arcane Trickery you can ignore duration and just go for efficiency and power, just spam Bladestorm constantly. Trickery is also immune to nullifiers.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Where/how do people figure out what mods to use with weapons and frames? I used to use Warframe Builder but the ranking system pretty much disappeared after the GDPR rules.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

space marine todd posted:

Where/how do people figure out what mods to use with weapons and frames? I used to use Warframe Builder but the ranking system pretty much disappeared after the GDPR rules.

clanchat and/or discord

for example I complained in clanchat once how I thought the sobek was a piece of poo poo and someone just typed [Acid Shells] [Shattering Justice] and I changed my mind very, very fast

it's really fun

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
check the wiki for what stats a frame's powers use, stack the useful stats, dump the useless ones and then use the rest for survivability/mobility. despite the many, many mods available there is a much smaller pool that are worth using at all.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Advice is needed. I had a Rhino specced for survivability until someone pointed out that speccing for power strength instead would make me much more survivable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

Advice is needed. I had a Rhino specced for survivability until someone pointed out that speccing for power strength instead would make me much more survivable.

This is correct, with one note. Rhino's iron skin also benefits from your armor, so be sure to have steel fiber equipped as well.