Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

It was never eradicated. It was covered up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dont people who work around electronics manufacturing get exposed to the pcb etching acids and stuff. Thats p cyberpunk.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
death to robo chuds

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Larry Parrish posted:

dont people who work around electronics manufacturing get exposed to the pcb etching acids and stuff. Thats p cyberpunk.

not as much fun as the chinese kids that scrap out our old televisions in that horrible garbage dump Guiyu

thats like hyper cyberpunk

quote:

Children are exposed to the dioxin-laden ash as the smoke billows around Guiyu, and finally settles on the area. The soil surrounding these factories has been saturated with lead, chromium, tin, and other heavy metals.[citation needed] Discarded electronics lie in pools of toxins that leach into the groundwater, making the water undrinkable to the extent that water must be trucked in from elsewhere

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

....to trigger the libs?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
So how come Sheng's images are not displayed for me and I have to hit quote, copy and paste the link ?

edit: VVVVThanks a bunch!

Dawncloack has issued a correction as of 17:54 on Jun 2, 2018

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dawncloack posted:

So how come Sheng's images are not displayed for me and I have to hit quote, copy and paste the link ?

They’re hot linked from twitter so your ad blocker might be blocking them

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
behold, the future of voting

https://twitter.com/FordhamCLIP/status/1002910307130527744

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

lol lol just loving lol

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Blockchain is going to replace sensible standard encryption methods in the entire right wing, isn't it?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
blockchain idiots are probably the only people peddling "secure" voting right now, and election boards are probably the only ones dumb enough to buy "secure" technology from a startup called "Voatz"

this isn't just a right-wing thing, either. behold

quote:

Voatz, a Massachusetts-based startup that has struck up a partnership with one of the few companies in the country that actually builds voting systems, has used a blockchain paradigm to run elections for colleges, school boards, unions and other nonprofit and quasi-governmental groups. Perhaps its most high-profile endeavor was authenticating delegate badges at the 2016 Massachusetts Democratic Convention.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

HorrificExistence posted:

people humiliating themselves and creating disturbances for pocket change

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgDQ7exm3FU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqeGcEPlRFk

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

anime was right posted:

lol lol just loving lol

I like how techie weirdos worship the blockchain concept even though at the fundamental level it's a clunky inefficient concept.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

i mean, china has all the world's top super computers, they could easily use some of that computing power to corrupt blockchain elections.

qkkl has issued a correction as of 04:22 on Jun 4, 2018

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

One GPU, One Vote

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shear Modulus posted:

One GPU, One Vote

oh god but we’re already ruled by the dumbest people imaginable let’s not go lower

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

etalian posted:

I like how techie weirdos worship the blockchain concept even though at the fundamental level it's a clunky inefficient concept.

What really hit me in the lol was the Dilbert guy doing it after writing one point seven million "jokes" about out of touch people chasing buzzwords they don't understand

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
so the idea of blockchain is that its a publicly auditable ledger of transactions, right?

it, uh. it seems like that could become a problem, with the ol' voting.

yes, i'm aware that's like the dozenth-in-line problem with the concept, but even folk with headline awareness of what blockchain is should be aware that this idea might go over like a lead balloon.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

etalian posted:

Isn't it the only way for something like Bitcoin to work though

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
https://twitter.com/thalestral/status/1002867653558480896

https://twitter.com/SarahTaber_bww/status/1003086394716192768

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

just buy your kids a gameboy and a tetris and that will replace youtube completely and will also fill your home with beautiful music

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

i grew up insanely internet poisoned and i didnt get steady access to it until i was 15. imagine growing up from a toddler with it lol

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

my childhood internet experience was poo poo like reading zelda fanpages about how to get the triforce in ocarina of time, while kids these days are just streaming neo-nazi propaganda 24/7 as promoted by the youtube algorithm. poo poo rules

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BBJoey posted:

poo poo rules

Literally.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Willie Tomg posted:

so the idea of blockchain is that its a publicly auditable ledger of transactions, right?

it, uh. it seems like that could become a problem, with the ol' voting.

yes, i'm aware that's like the dozenth-in-line problem with the concept, but even folk with headline awareness of what blockchain is should be aware that this idea might go over like a lead balloon.

The term "blockchain" can mean a lot of different things depending on what people are trying to sell you. YOSPOS goon divabot wrote an anti-bitcoin/blockchain book (Attack of the 50-Foot Blockchain) which has an entire chapter for people in companies where their company might try to railroad them into buying "______ but with blockchain" and how to try and derail that/expose the vendor for the shysters they are.

And e-voting by definition isn't properly democratic, blockchain or not.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

univbee posted:

e-voting by definition isn't properly democratic

Why?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
no paper trail, it's too easy to manipulate results

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Democracy requires a few things:

- Everyone eligible to vote gets one and only one vote.
- This ability to vote is not transferable, they can't give/sell their vote or have someone else vote for them (exceptions for individuals in particular medical situations requiring assistance).
- They cannot prove who they voted for to someone else (so their vote can't be bought or coerced).
- The process by which votes are tallied has to be open and verifiable.

e-voting screws up most of these, depending on their implementation, but there isn't currently a way to even theoretically implement e-voting that jives with the last rule, which is arguably the most important rule. It doesn't help that e-voting machines are closed source and trivially hackable, and that there have been allegations of backdoors implemented in them to force them to swing the vote a certain way.

univbee has issued a correction as of 13:21 on Jun 4, 2018

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

i grew up insanely internet poisoned and i didnt get steady access to it until i was 15. imagine growing up from a toddler with it lol

this

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

univbee posted:

Democracy requires a few things:

- Everyone eligible to vote gets one and only one vote.
- This ability to vote is not transferable, they can't give/sell their vote or have someone else vote for them (exceptions for individuals in particular medical situations requiring assistance).
- They cannot prove who they voted for to someone else (so their vote can't be bought or coerced).
- The process by which votes are tallied has to be open and verifiable.

e-voting screws up most of these, depending on their implementation, but there isn't currently a way to even theoretically implement e-voting that jives with the last rule, which is arguably the most important rule. It doesn't help that e-voting machines are closed source and trivially hackable, and that there have been allegations of backdoors implemented in them to force them to swing the vote a certain way.
Also:
- There are no artificial barriers to prevent any individual or group from voting freely, and any unintentional barriers (poverty+transportation, etc) are eliminated or mitigated.
- Every vote has identical weight.

America kinda has a problem with these two, but e-voting doesn't cause GOP laws/gerrymandering. Unless it's done securely it could allow them to cheat more directly. So this is more pointing out that the system is already undemocratic either way. :v:

One thing that might help with the possibility of digital corruption/manipulation (or single-event upsets like a cosmic muon scrambling a byte) would be that everything needs to be independently verifiable, so if every voter got their own ID string (which only they can know) so they can later go and anonymously view their database entry and say "hey someone/something changed my vote"

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

silentsnack posted:

One thing that might help with the possibility of digital corruption/manipulation (or single-event upsets like a cosmic muon scrambling a byte) would be that everything needs to be independently verifiable, so if every voter got their own ID string (which only they can know) so they can later go and anonymously view their database entry and say "hey someone/something changed my vote"

Nah, no one's gonna remember that poo poo, and they'll just use it to prove how they voted (so they can sell their vote or be coerced into voting a certain way).

Just stop throwing computers at a non-computer problem when plenty of countries vote with paper and pencil effectively and laugh at how America gets it so wrong.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Isn't it the only way for something like Bitcoin to work though

sure, but the only reason Bitcoin has to exist is to be a tech demo for blockchain stuff

there's not actually a lot of real-world use for a decentralized, trustless currency. most of its supposed advantages just take advantage of the fact that no government really takes it seriously enough to enforce regulations on it yet

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

univbee posted:

Nah, no one's gonna remember that poo poo, and they'll just use it to prove how they voted (so they can sell their vote or be coerced into voting a certain way).

Just stop throwing computers at a non-computer problem when plenty of countries vote with paper and pencil effectively and laugh at how America gets it so wrong.

Sometimes, "getting it wrong" can be entirely by design (or secondary to concerns like ensuring your cousin's firm gets the e-voting machine contract) so I'm not laughing much

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

hackbunny posted:

Sometimes, "getting it wrong" can be entirely by design (or secondary to concerns like ensuring your cousin's firm gets the e-voting machine contract) so I'm not laughing much

Yeah we're aware of that too, we know that America has a long tradition of limiting who gets to vote and how by design.

Voting not being a federal paid holiday (or at least guaranteeing people can take paid time off to go vote) is a pretty massive red flag to this effect.

Most other countries that dabbled in e-voting have gotten rid of it since then for the reasons I elaborated on.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i just post this whenever the topic comes up now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3_0x6oaDmI

it's a really really bad idea

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/laforgia_/status/1003619319736143872
https://twitter.com/laforgia_/status/1003619974831919104
https://twitter.com/laforgia_/status/1003620452282093568
https://twitter.com/laforgia_/status/1003620918181154816
https://twitter.com/laforgia_/status/1003621362831945728

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

Over Easy posted:

just buy your kids a gameboy and a tetris and that will replace youtube completely and will also fill your home with beautiful music

this my plan, she can have my old nes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Lol