Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

SMERSH Mouth posted:

The Oly Pen-F has nice OOC JPEG color and it seemed like a very well put-together camera when I messed around with it at the camera store.

That said, the Pen could stand to have better 1080p video quality.

Fully agree on your whole post, but especially these two parts. I do find myself doing quite a bit of video with the kid and my other hobbies, so Panasonic was the right direction for me.

Having now done more reading on the omd-m1 mk2, it seems like Olympus is taking video more seriously now and I hope it trickles down to the lower market bodies soon, I know the m10-mk3 has 4k but I haven't seen any reviews of the quality or samples yet, I should seek some out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

4k video is overrated, don't spend on it unless you absolutely need it for a gig or something imho. Huge hassle to edit and you can't really see the difference on anything other than huge big screen TVs/high res projectors.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I have been lusting so hard over the Fuji GFX 50S. I can “afford” it, I have the right use for the sensor (aerial photography and other distant landscapes with a need for dynamic range), but I just can’t justify it as a hobbyist, no matter how passionate I am and how much disposable income I earn now.

So I have been looking at a “compromise” with the Sony A7RIII. But the last time I took a Sony A7RII camera with me on a trip, I rage-returned it because I found the interface to be... not enjoyable. Has Sony improved in this area?

Also, I’m browsing Sony glass and for how much money they charge for it I may as well go for the Fuji medium format. How’s the Canon compatibility come along? Is it close to as good as native?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

A7iii just came in.

drat.

A+

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My buddy just messaged me asking how my a7iii was (expecting it would arrive today). I checked my tracking number ... it doesn't arrive until Monday :smith:

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Is the canon 5DS/R even a solution worth considering for those kinds of medium format use cases? A 50MP full-frame sensor sounds like something that could capture a lot of detail. It didn't seem to gain a lot of market share against the A7R or D810, though. At the last big vendor showcase my local camera store had in 2017, the canon rep brought a huge lineup of cameras and lenses, but no 5DS bodies at all. Was it that much of a flop?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
gently caress "justification". You can't take the money to the after life.

Alternatively, just wait for the rumoured cheaper GFX 50R.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

hi liter posted:

4k video is overrated, don't spend on it unless you absolutely need it for a gig or something imho. Huge hassle to edit and you can't really see the difference on anything other than huge big screen TVs/high res projectors.

That's not true imo. It gives you a lot of reframing flexibility if you are mastering in 1080p or 2k and helps a ton with stabilization. There is no reason to not shoot 4k nowadays.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Is the canon 5DS/R even a solution worth considering for those kinds of medium format use cases? A 50MP full-frame sensor sounds like something that could capture a lot of detail. It didn't seem to gain a lot of market share against the A7R or D810, though. At the last big vendor showcase my local camera store had in 2017, the canon rep brought a huge lineup of cameras and lenses, but no 5DS bodies at all. Was it that much of a flop?

I think the high res 5d sensor's only party piece was high resolution. Dynamic range, noise, low light, etc. all suffered compared to competition (including Canon's own lower resolution sensors.) Contrast that to the D800/810 and A7R series which both had high resolution sensors that also performed extremely well in a broad variety of situations and it's easy to see why it didn't get the same kind of uptake. And now you've got 40+ megapixel sensors that blow the 5DS out of the water for just a couple fewer megapixels for less money.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Suggestions for a good all rounder video lens for the A7iii?
I've got an adapted Sigma 18-35 and the native 50 1.8

These are decent but would love a native zoom that has a quick AF and at least f1.8

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Pablo Bluth posted:

gently caress "justification". You can't take the money to the after life.

Alternatively, just wait for the rumoured cheaper GFX 50R.

Can’t take the camera either, but 6 G’s buys a lot of inmoral fun.

I think I’m gonna wait for th next iteration to see how much better it is and how much the next generation holds its value. I’m always skeptical of of buying expensive bodies if you are not gonna make your money back selling your work. I rather spend the money on glass.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
If and when we get a GFX 50R I'm getting one, even though I don't need one. 50s bodies are like 5-6K on ebay right now, once there's a new version I expect we'll see 3-4k bodies.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I've had my A7iii for a week and no lenses :v: I can't make myself pull the trigger which is entirely loving stupid. I think I want the 16-35/f4 most.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I think I want the Tamron that's supposed to release this month. But the cheap 50/1.8 is decent to use in the meantime

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

Animal posted:

So I have been looking at a “compromise” with the Sony A7RIII. But the last time I took a Sony A7RII camera with me on a trip, I rage-returned it because I found the interface to be... not enjoyable. Has Sony improved in this area?

The Sony interface issues have been somewhat lessened with the latest iteration, since they introduced the new joystick and "my menu" feature. However, fundamentally it's still menu hell and things haven't changed dramatically.

That said, imo it's not such a big deal once you've set things up how you like, particularly with landscape. I don't generally need to dig into the menus except for a couple of things like screen brightness and EFCS, which I've put into my menu so it's easy.

For a landscape setup, I'm extremely happy with the A7RIII paired with a few Zeiss primes. The Loxia range is basically built for landscape work, being so high quality and easy to carry. Hard to find a better setup for travel landscape, I would argue.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
I'm thinking of getting a Fujifilm XT-2 to complement my X100S and its wide-angle adapter, but I'm not sure what lens to get. I'm thinking of the 35mm f/2 lens so I get the 50mm equivalent, which should be a nice complement to the X100S' native 35mm equivalent and 28mm equivalent with the wide-angle converter.

I'm a bit worried about accidentally obseleting my X100S though by going with the XT-2; it feels like the X100S still has a good amount of life left even at 15,900 shots.

(oh dear it's just so much money. I could get the XT-20 instead but Fuji's got me with all those knobs and ergonomics :circlefap: )

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
x100s is pretty old whatever Fuji body you get will be faster than the x100s, you can decide on the lens first and whatever money you have left you can spend on the body. Adorama had the XE2s for 350 last month.

Hard to recommend lens to you without knowing your preference.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

whatever7 posted:

x100s is pretty old whatever Fuji body you get will be faster than the x100s, you can decide on the lens first and whatever money you have left you can spend on the body. Adorama had the XE2s for 350 last month.

Hard to recommend lens to you without knowing your preference.

I like street photography in a body I can walk around with and be low-key.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Casull posted:

XE-3 is probably the better choice.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

Animal posted:

XE-3 is probably the better choice.

Interesting, thanks. I'll have to look into that. One of the things that the X100S doesn't seem to do well is fast focus, though; is the XE-3 better in that regard?

E: A cursory google search shows that yes, it's good, so it might not be something I have to worry about. I'll need to dig more into this camera. Thanks!

Casull fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 2, 2018

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Casull posted:

Interesting, thanks. I'll have to look into that. One of the things that the X100S doesn't seem to do well is fast focus, though; is the XE-3 better in that regard?

E: A cursory google search shows that yes, it's good, so it might not be something I have to worry about. I'll need to dig more into this camera. Thanks!

Internally all the newer models are all the same, in the things that matter the most for stills. There shouldn’t be an image quality or AF difference between them as they share the same sensor and processor.

For the XT-2 you pay extra for the bigger viewfinder, ISO dial, video features and other pro things. For the X-T20 I don’t know, articulating LCD? I’ve personally never been a fan of that series, to me the form doesn’t follow function as well as the X-Ex and X-Tx series. The hump just seems to be ther for aesthetic reasons since it doesn’t house a bigger EVF.

Animal fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 2, 2018

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Casull posted:

You can double down on the small body thing and get a X70.

Or one of the Sigma if you can get pass the green rear end tint.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

whatever7 posted:

You can double down on the small body thing and get a X70.

Or one of the Sigma if you can get pass the green rear end tint.

I remember people complaining a lot about the speed of the Sigma cameras, which could be bad for street stuff.

I sometimes get a weird urge to get one, but then I'm paralyzed by the choice of models. If you're going to be stuck with one focal length forever, it had better be the right one! The widest (dp0) seems cool, but it's physically huge compared to the others.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Digital Jesus posted:

I've had my A7iii for a week and no lenses :v: I can't make myself pull the trigger which is entirely loving stupid. I think I want the 16-35/f4 most.

I have the a7iii, 24-105 f/4 and 85 f/1.8. The 24-105 f/4 is as good as a f/4 lens gets.

The 85 has really annoying cat eye bokeh. Wish I had held out for the sigma art 85 1.4 instead.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

rdb posted:

I have the a7iii, 24-105 f/4 and 85 f/1.8. The 24-105 f/4 is as good as a f/4 lens gets.

The 85 has really annoying cat eye bokeh. Wish I had held out for the sigma art 85 1.4 instead.

Man I hate you. I have been waiting for my 24-105 for I don't know how long now. I think sony makes like 5 of those a week. I don't think it will leave my camera when I get it.

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

keyframe posted:

Man I hate you. I have been waiting for my 24-105 for I don't know how long now. I think sony makes like 5 of those a week. I don't think it will leave my camera when I get it.

everywhere i look it's backordered :smith:

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I ordered the a7iii and 24-105 f/4 on the first day you could pre order the body. I think it took over a month for the lens to show up.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

I went and bought the X-E3 with a 23mm f/2 lens. My X100S has been good to me since 2014, but I think it's time for it to retire.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Casull posted:

I went and bought the X-E3 with a 23mm f/2 lens. My X100S has been good to me since 2014, but I think it's time for it to retire.

how do you like the AF?

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

Animal posted:

how do you like the AF?

I have no idea yet! :v: It's coming on the 6th. I'm hoping it'll be faster than the x100s.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

My A7iii arrived (sigma 24-70 2.8 art attached)

The viewfinder is much better than I expected. AF seems quick. The Sigma art glass is heavy and it feels unbalanced (lens heavy) which could make zooming/focusing hard if that hand is also supporting the camera. I will likely buy a grip for weddings etc, especially when I need to use a 70-200 2.8. There are so many functions for me to uncover with this camera and so many I will likely never know. Also, the UI isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. I came from Canon but I have a Sony RX100 and the menu is nearly identical to the RX100 just with a bazillion more features.

Made me laugh to see Sony didn't include a standalone battery charger but instead just a wall plug and a micro USB cable. Looking back, I guess my RX100 didn't come with one either.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
Canon's menus are also terrible. Nikon and Fuji seem to be the only people who have ever employed someone in UX.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Fujis menus suck too, it just matters less because DIALS.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

8th-snype posted:

Canon's menus are also terrible. Nikon and Fuji seem to be the only people who have ever employed someone in UX.

Sorry my dude, but Panasonic exists.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Are there any menus that don't suck?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

GEMorris posted:

Sorry my dude, but Panasonic exists.

I haven't used anything newer than a GH3 but that was basically a war crime. The quick menu is the least intuitive thing ever.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Are there any menus that don't suck?

Fuji's and Nikon's at least make sense, barring a few weird things buried in odd places. I think Nikon DSLRs probably have the most easily comprehended menus.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

8th-snype posted:

I haven't used anything newer than a GH3 but that was basically a war crime. The quick menu is the least intuitive thing ever.

I've got a GF5 and a GH3 and it's amazing that they've managed to make not just one, but two entirely different abortions of an interface.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Canon menus are fine. They're generally grouped in a sensible order and where you'd expect to find them, they stay the same across models, and the more esoteric change-once settings are hidden out of the away under the custom settings section. By comparison, I can never find the settings I want on my Sony RX100.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

I have an XE3 and I love it. My wife loves it too. We just have the 18-55 kit lens that came with it and a 35mm/f2. She usually gets to use it when we're out and about and I stick with the iphone.

I'm thinking about getting an X-H1 as I spend most of my time on the XE3 filming clips to cut together. When we're out she'll shoot a bunch of stills and I'll take some video. Not sure what lens I should pick up for the XH1 either but I'm mostly taking landscapes / nature shots and some b-roll. I still have to convince myself its a worthy purchase. There's also a part of me thinking "the sensors are all the same! you don't need ibis, get a steadicam for the XE3! noo, buy meee, stop sharing a camera with your partner".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

spog posted:

I've got a GF5 and a GH3 and it's amazing that they've managed to make not just one, but two entirely different abortions of an interface.

These are both cameras from 2012.

Use any Panasonic from the last few years and the menu system is great.