Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I love the "my bad" gesture.

Edit: it looked to me like he grabbed the trigger when he picked it up, which makes it even dumber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

XTimmy posted:

Question from a country where guns aren't candy. I thought you had to apply pretty serious pressure to the trigger of a pistol to get it to fire? I know the Australian police handguns all have a pretty high trigger weight(?). Are law enforcement running around with hair triggers over there? How does this happen mechanically?

Depends on the gun. But yeah, generally speaking if this was any big name manufacturer like SiG/HK/Glock/etc. it is physically incapable of firing due to being dropped.

It always turns out the dipshit either pulled the trigger by handling the gun or got something caught on it.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Wasn't there a thing where Taurus pistols were firing when banged hard enough?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Imagined posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fn6GFSwTEw

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Imagined posted:

Yep. Those and other poo poo brands are why you can't just say this is impossible. But the FBI isn't issuing Taurus pistols.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Imagined posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they fire if you just shook them lightly once? (May have been some other brand.)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

XTimmy posted:

Question from a country where guns aren't candy. I thought you had to apply pretty serious pressure to the trigger of a pistol to get it to fire? I know the Australian police handguns all have a pretty high trigger weight(?). Are law enforcement running around with hair triggers over there? How does this happen mechanically?

No gun should ever fire when dropped, regardless of how the trigger is set, though obviously sometimes one occasionally will. It's a mechanical object like any other. Nevertheless, the designers try to get rid of that tendency.

Anyway it looks like in this case the gun did not fire when it hit the ground, but when he went to pick it up. He probably just pulled the trigger as he grabbed it.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
I get the whole 'safe to drop' thing, what I'm more wondering is, here at least, you have to really work the trigger on a law enforcement firearm to make it fire. There it looks like he brushes the trigger tenderly and it discharges.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Screw the mechanics of gun. Why was he dancing around with a loaded firearm to begin with?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

No gun should ever fire when dropped, regardless of how the trigger is set, though obviously sometimes one occasionally will. It's a mechanical object like any other. Nevertheless, the designers try to get rid of that tendency.

Anyway it looks like in this case the gun did not fire when it hit the ground, but when he went to pick it up. He probably just pulled the trigger as he grabbed it.

Some badly designed guns will, despite it being a solved issue mechanically in competently designed guns for nearly a century.

XTimmy posted:

I get the whole 'safe to drop' thing, what I'm more wondering is, here at least, you have to really work the trigger on a law enforcement firearm to make it fire. There it looks like he brushes the trigger tenderly and it discharges.

Law Enforcement triggers are pretty heavy, requiring noticeably more pressure on the trigger than the standard triggers.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 4, 2018

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Mustached Demon posted:

Screw the mechanics of gun. Why was he dancing around with a loaded firearm to begin with?
Seriously, this. Dude shouldn't have been on the dance floor with a gun, much less a loaded one. But this is America so..... :shrug:

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

vortmax posted:

Seriously, this. Dude shouldn't have been on the dance floor with a gun, much less a loaded one. But this is America so..... :shrug:

He could be in serious trouble if he was drinking when all this went down.

Then again, government employee unaccountable etc etc...

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Sagebrush posted:

This is why if you are in possession of a loaded gun you keep your fingers away from the trigger at all times unless explicitly intending to shoot someone. I would have hoped an FBI agent would have better trigger discipline than that.

EDIT: I mean also definitely don't take a loaded gun out when you're getting drunk, either.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

XTimmy posted:

He’s almost definitely drunk. He probably grabbed it hard trying to pick it up with his finger in the trigger guard.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Warbadger posted:

Law Enforcement triggers are pretty heavy, requiring noticeably more pressure on the trigger than the standard triggers.

I heard this was a really controversial thing? Like the facile argument is that if it's harder to pull the trigger you'll have fewer negligent discharges, but the other argument is that it screws up your aim and makes you more likely to pull to the side and shoot a bystander when you do inevitably go for the gun (because lol a heavier trigger pull isn't the thing stopping a cop from blowing you away).

Anyway, the pull is adjustable and this guy is FBI, not a beat cop, so I could easily imagine him having it set to a lower weight because high speed low drag tacticool smooth operator oorah oorah

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Memento posted:

You're actually right, it was a very long time ago. Komatiite lava was up to 500 °C hotter than the hottest lava today - 1700 compared to the 1200 we're seeing at Hawaii right now. The lava at Hawaii flows like room-temperature honey; Komatiite lava flowed like water, with the density of rock. We're talking Meso- to Neo-Archean, 3-2.8 billion years ago. The Earth's mantle and core were a lot hotter at the time due to relict heat from planetary formation and far greater abundance of radioactive elements that have almost all decayed today. As far as composition is concerned, Komatiite lavas are extremely Magnesium rich, and generally have very elevated (10-20 times greater than general crustal abundance) nickel, cobalt and chromium concentrations

Komatiitic lava was responsible for the formation of the deposit that my supervisor did his PhD on, the Kambalda massive sulphide nickel deposit in Western Australia.

Sweet, so depending on surface tension you could have a lavafall like a waterfall, and it could be misty and foggy at the bottom like a regular waterfall is, but with molten lava mist

I'd guess this would produce some form of extremely deadly dust as the droplets froze, but maybe it could act like how freezing rain does, or form vitreous hoar frost or something.

Is there any gajillion year evidence of such a thing or are my assumptions wrong or what?

There's a lot of idiots with guns.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Sweet, so depending on surface tension you could have a lavafall like a waterfall, and it could be misty and foggy at the bottom like a regular waterfall is, but with molten lava mist

I'd guess this would produce some form of extremely deadly dust as the droplets froze, but maybe it could act like how freezing rain does, or form vitreous hoar frost or something.

Is there any gajillion year evidence of such a thing or are my assumptions wrong or what?

The evidence for this would be insanely hard to find. When things happened literal billions of years ago, you almost always see some sort of reworking of them - whether structural (folding and faulting), metamorphic (heating up to the point the rock itself changes) or erosional (wearing away of the rock and deposition somewhere else as a different rock.

You could absolutely have a lava waterfall, but it would quite likely at least partially solidify on the way down and then just mound up like honey at the bottom. Generally what it did when it erupted (and we have tons of evidence of this through geochemistry) is that it aggressively wore away the substrate that it was flowing over and assimilated sulphur from it, which mixed with base metals in the lava to form ore deposits. So even if it was venting out from a Hawaii-style fissure, and going over a nearby fault scarp, it would wear the surface down to the point where it became a steep hill in the space of hours or days.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

There's a lot of idiots with guns.

And a truly scary amount of them wear uniforms.

Also, I've carried a pistol before while in the Army Reserves, and I never dropped the loving thing even when I was jumping out of a plane. Plenty of guys in TFR carry daily with good quality holsters and don't lose their guns. I'm pretty sure there was a spate of police officers and security guards losing their service weapon by leaving it on a shelf or whatever while they were taking a poo poo in a public toilet and forgetting it was there.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

I heard this was a really controversial thing? Like the facile argument is that if it's harder to pull the trigger you'll have fewer negligent discharges, but the other argument is that it screws up your aim and makes you more likely to pull to the side and shoot a bystander when you do inevitably go for the gun (because lol a heavier trigger pull isn't the thing stopping a cop from blowing you away).

Anyway, the pull is adjustable and this guy is FBI, not a beat cop, so I could easily imagine him having it set to a lower weight because high speed low drag tacticool smooth operator oorah oorah

It might be, but regardless of any controversy the Law Enforcement triggers in the US are heavy triggers.

Anyways, the important thing here w/r/t the video is that the guy seems to have negligently fired his gun by pulling the trigger while (drunkenly?) grabbing it off the floor. It didn't fire when it hit the floor. Basically the standard outcome of "it just went off!!" claims.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 4, 2018

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Warbadger posted:

It might be, but regardless of any controversy the Law Enforcement triggers in the US are heavy triggers.

FBI doesn't modify or spec their standard issue duty weapons any differently from the way Glock builds any other 22. Its a standard-pull (5.5lbs) trigger.

The only law enforcement organization that I've heard of modifying duty weapons is NYPD mandating 12lb trigger pull weight. Thats across a few different standard duty weapons.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
A LOT of people in the USA don't think of guns as dangerous weapons, but as a cross between a toy and a measure of manhood.
So a dildo.

As for it falling out; I'd be surprised if it was actually in a holster.
I know at least three guys at work carry their dildo every day, and they all just keep it in a pocket or stuffed in their waistband.
To a basic sales job where the customer comes to us.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Moto42 posted:

A LOT of people in the USA don't think of guns as dangerous weapons, but as a cross between a toy and a measure of manhood.
So a dildo.

As for it falling out; I'd be surprised if it was actually in a holster.
I know at least three guys at work carry their dildo every day, and they all just keep it in a pocket or stuffed in their waistband.
To a basic sales job where the customer comes to us.

You will have to pry my dildo gun from my slick and wet dead hands.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Getting back to poo poo that is more solidly in my wheelhouse, here's a link to a regularly-updated map of the lava flow at Kilauea. The red dots are homes lost, 240 so far :smith:

From here: Google My Maps

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

MrYenko posted:

FBI doesn't modify or spec their standard issue duty weapons any differently from the way Glock builds any other 22. Its a standard-pull (5.5lbs) trigger.

The only law enforcement organization that I've heard of modifying duty weapons is NYPD mandating 12lb trigger pull weight. Thats across a few different standard duty weapons.

Glock, HK, SIG, etc. market LE triggers heavier than the standard. The FBI may not use them, but they also aren't putting match triggers or whatever on the guns and it still wasn't going off without something yanking on the trigger.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Call me crazy, but I sorta feel that guy should be instantly fired, stripped of all pension and privileges relating to being an officer, barred from working in, near, or around any sort of security or enforcement job(and yes this include mall cops)
and throw in barred from owning a fire arm as well.

This is crudely incompetent and grossly negligent. He is a danger to everyone around him.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

So, with the 'straight from the mantle' magma thing, what's the over under on this becoming just the new place that's constantly spewing lava and that whole region is just perma-hosed?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Warbadger posted:

As with most things police-related in the US, this varies widely across the 15,000 or so police jurisdictions in the country.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Memento posted:

The red dots are homes lost, 240 so far

ULTRAKILLLLLL

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

Call me crazy, but I sorta feel that guy should be instantly fired, stripped of all pension and privileges relating to being an officer, barred from working in, near, or around any sort of security or enforcement job(and yes this include mall cops)

This is crudely incompetent and grossly negligent. He is a danger to everyone around him.

Haha, youll have to take that up with the union he belongs to.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Moto42 posted:

So, with the 'straight from the mantle' magma thing, what's the over under on this becoming just the new place that's constantly spewing lava and that whole region is just perma-hosed?

The current eruption is classified as being part of the series of eruptive events that has gone on since 1983, which put out around 4 km3 of lava to 2012, and buried a few towns to a depth of 35m along the way to covering 125km2 and destroying 214 structures. By way of comparison, the most recent event has now been going for a month and has already covered 20km2 and destroyed 240 homes.

This poo poo is an order of magnitude more lava than previously, which makes the answer to your question a big fat "who knows?". There's thinking it might manage to shoot its load pretty quickly and we'll see it settle down in a month or so as crystallisation along the extent of the dike causes it to clog up and find another way out. There's also thinking that because it's fresh off the mantle, we could be seeing the start of a really long period of volcanism that radically alters the geography of the area, as the heat is enough to actually eat into the substrate and clear its own path as it goes.

Synthbuttrange posted:

ULTRAKILLLLLL

The fact that the only injury so far was that one dude has had his leg broken by a freak lava bomb coming down on it is a pretty solid testament to how well prepared the authorities and locals are to get the gently caress out of dodge when poo poo goes off.

That livestream that I posted a few pages back has had to stop broadcasting because their house isn't there anymore. They got out fine though, and Rusty evacuated with them.

Sorry if people are finding that there's a lot of vagueness in my posts, but this sort of poo poo is really hard to pin down as to what exactly is happening until it has already happened. If you get three geologists in a room and ask them for an opinion on something, you'll probably end up with four opinions, because one of them will change their mind after hearing what one of the others said.

Memento fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 4, 2018

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Johnny Aztec posted:

You're right, but SniperWearsConverse will become a lavamancer and use his newfound powers to magic up a stone roof before that happens.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Memento posted:

The fact that the only injury so far was that one dude has had his leg broken by a freak lava bomb coming down on it is a pretty solid testament to how well prepared the authorities and locals are to get the gently caress out of dodge when poo poo goes off.
As it's being illustrated by Guatemala, with its rising fatality count.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

Memento posted:

Sorry if people are finding that there's a lot of vagueness in my posts
No problem with that. An honest 'we dunno' is a lot better than dishonest certainty.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Nature's loving pissed dudes and dudettes.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Mustached Demon posted:

Nature's loving pissed dudes and dudettes.

Ya lava in Hawaii, truly it is end times.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Memento posted:

Getting back to poo poo that is more solidly in my wheelhouse, here's a link to a regularly-updated map of the lava flow at Kilauea. The red dots are homes lost, 240 so far :smith:

From here: Google My Maps

That map is also out of date and the active lava flow in the upper right is current going over the town of Kapoho.

Here's a helicopter overflight video from today:

https://vimeo.com/273229166

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Also even though they clearly don't deserve to be lavaflowed Kapoho is a city that was basically picked up and moved half a mile away after it previously got lava flowed in 1960 so it's not exactly a success story of risk mitigation.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
maybe the best way to avoid a volcano is to not live on one

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

SelenicMartian posted:

As it's being illustrated by Guatemala, with its rising fatality count.

Very different eruptive styles. Volcan de Fuego is a dacitic to rhyodacitic stratovolcano, with the magma being orders of magnitude more viscous. Therefore, pressure can build up much higher before eruption. They had series of pyroclastic flows there earlier today, and they're up to 25 confirmed dead :(

Here's a vaguely-stabilised video of one of the flows. Tell you this for free, I wouldn't be anywhere near that bridge once I had figured out what was going on.

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1003445167607578624/pu/vid/440x360/RPseFZkNdo1QJvem.mp4

Bip Roberts posted:

That map is also out of date and the active lava flow in the upper right is current going over the town of Kapoho.

Here's a helicopter overflight video from today:

https://vimeo.com/273229166

Thanks for that, I guess that map is a few days old now. I personally wouldn't prioritise updating it either.

I honestly thought vimeo videos could be embedded now? Maybe that was something else.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Blast of Confetti posted:

maybe the best way to avoid a volcano is to not live on one

Dunno, it's a really pretty volcano and at least it only burns down your house. It's like like the residents of Monserrat or Martinique who are might get fully pyroclastic flowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Memento posted:

Thanks for that, I guess that map is a few days old now. I personally wouldn't prioritise updating it either.

It's like 24 hours old max, the lava overrunning the town was really recent.