Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Zotix posted:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/srt4eblue/characters

Can someone look at my lovely Juggernaut and tell me what the hell I'm doing wrong? I was under the assumption that going Juggernaut/ Sunder was an easy way to uber lab farm at the beginning of the league. I'm getting one shot by Izaro with Fortify up. I feel like I've basically wasted this weekend on this character instead of going some FotM Arc, or Blade Vortex, etc.

Looking at your character, and without importing into PoB, you're missing a life roll on your boots and your gloves, belt, and ammy all look relatively cheaply upgradeable. One-shots from Izaro mostly come on days where his mods stack high ele damage, or where you just don't have enough life for the weapon and buffs combo. Might be worth dropping a key to reduce damage incoming, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
It feels to me like melee builds dont get enough of a payoff for having to be in melee range tanking hits. My melee builds are all about "Well I'm going to be in melee range with these bosses/rares tanking big hits, which 4-5 layers of defenses can I stack to just about survive it", my ranged builds are "Eh, I will kill everything while it is on the other side of the screen, if it ever makes it over to me I will run to the other side of the screen with my +100% movement speed".

All melee really gets is fortify, which also requires you to proc it, and 20% less damage doesn't feel like it makes up for getting chunked by bosses every second because you are standing next to them.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Applebee123 posted:

It feels to me like melee builds dont get enough of a payoff for having to be in melee range tanking hits. My melee builds are all about "Well I'm going to be in melee range with these bosses/rares tanking big hits, which 4-5 layers of defenses can I stack to just about survive it", my ranged builds are "Eh, I will kill everything while it is on the other side of the screen, if it ever makes it over to me I will run to the other side of the screen with my +100% movement speed".

All melee really gets is fortify, which also requires you to proc it, and 20% less damage doesn't feel like it makes up for getting chunked by bosses every second because you are standing next to them.

Surprisingly a lot of the time it's easier to dodge poo poo in melee.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/killstealing/characters

So I've been doing summoner stuff and it's really cool. Skeletons are great when boosted, spectres are good as always, but I feel like I should be picking between the two: spectres require vis mortis/ullr, and going skeletons will let me keep a life chest (with +1 skele craft) and seven-league steps for movespeed. Anyone with experience wrt this choice? I can go phys advocate spectres, but then I'll still have to pick between using vis mortis/bones of ullr and not.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
death's oath occultist review: i think its objectively slower than ED since it doesn't have contagion, but it subjectively plays a lot faster since you just run up to a pack and tap blight and move on. you never run the risk of being interrupted during a spellcast. ed's long cast time was really frustrating for me but shielding charging in and vomiting blight and pestilence and bile onto everyone is my ideal gameplay. not sure how late this can take me? might have to transition to another build to really get guardians on farm

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

moush posted:

Started as a deadeye but was not progressing as fast as I wanted to. Made the switch to arc totems and am glad I did, this build's busted.

i can still taste him posted:

Ya, same. I slogged through to maps using molten strike all the way up. Geared up for resistance, life, armor, etc. And promptly got my rear end kicked by lab and low tier maps. Idgi either.

So, gently caress it, a5 now with arc totems heiro.

Are either of you following a specific build that a dumb person like myself could follow? If so would you mind sharing a link?

Thanks!

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Skyl3lazer posted:

Surprisingly a lot of the time it's easier to dodge poo poo in melee.

They've been doing a better job building boss fights this way, but it's by no means consistent, especially in early mapping and the mid-Atlas experience. Definitely the criticism has some truth behind it.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Jinnigan posted:

death's oath occultist review: i think its objectively slower than ED since it doesn't have contagion, but it subjectively plays a lot faster since you just run up to a pack and tap blight and move on. you never run the risk of being interrupted during a spellcast. ed's long cast time was really frustrating for me but shielding charging in and vomiting blight and pestilence and bile onto everyone is my ideal gameplay. not sure how late this can take me? might have to transition to another build to really get guardians on farm

Oh yeah I neglected to tell you (I was probated at the time) I have indeed done a build with death's oath although I didn't bother with essence drain (cause I'm dumb/didn't want to). Instead I used a decay weapon and decay support and tried shield charging around. As I recall my version had trouble doing enough damage to satisfy my shield charging around at like uhh tier 5 maybe? I don't really remember.

Guys I have a sinking feeling that my lightning warp build would just be better off just using cospri malice and that kind of saddens me. I miss Diablo 2 teleporting I recall it being much faster.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Keru posted:

The true path to BV is to have as much Herald MTX as you can.

The new Automaton Herald effect is great on Herald of Thunder.

I plan on doing auto on thunder, gloom on ice for the explosions, and using innocence of ash.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
My opinion on the new Risen Vaal Advocate spectre-candidates:

Phys: sucks for clearing, great for damage, damagetype matches skeletons.
Lightning: good clear, good singletarget, can use wrath.
Fire: alright clear, secondary attack slows them down, projectiles slow.
Chaos: good clear but you need 3-4 since projectiles appear to have a narrow hitbox, attack is phys with chaos conversion so can use with skeletons.

Overall they're not that great imo. Very nice life and damage, but solar guards appear to have quicker attacks and fill the screen up more.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

The Locator posted:

Are either of you following a specific build that a dumb person like myself could follow? If so would you mind sharing a link?

Thanks!

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2115624

Mostly following that, but also checking poe.ninja to see what other people are using.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Oodles posted:

Do I want to reroll a blue to red to get it totem-able? Or just keep it as castable arc for a while?

only start using totems once you get your first ascendancy, your triple linked +1 wand should carry you through normal lab

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord

moush posted:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2115624

Mostly following that, but also checking poe.ninja to see what other people are using.

Ya, that one.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
I posted some ideas I had for corifying Alva on Reddit here: https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/8of6r2/new_ideas_for_bringing_alva_to_core/

Mostly so GGG would actually see them. There are three bad ones, one okay one, and one loving fantastic one that I stole from another post buried deep somewhere GGG would never see it.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

yeah well that's just like your opinion, man
After having bricked nearly every single Tabula I've Vaaled, I thought what better than to spend every last Chaos Orb I own on a Tabula to attempt a double corruption modifier.

Not the worst certainly but I'm not sure if this is even worth more than an uncorrupted Tabula.

I also got some Perandus Coins. Do they have any use in this league? Where could I even redeem them?

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

If you get the Perandus Manor map he'll spawn in there

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

CDW posted:

Would appreciate an invite on Zapzappityzapperson

My mind went "Heh, Zapp Brannigan. Wait, ArcBrannigan!" ...not gonna reroll for that. Wish I'd thought of it before though.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It is absolutely astonishing at how powerful trappers are this league. I have zero desire to make something else and this character is going all the way to shaper probably. I'm gonna do Uber Atziri tonight I think.

Going CI to deal with the bullshit chaos damage was a good choice too. I have to credit Tarke Cat for that one.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Yeah in following tarkes CI arc trapper tree. Arc traps are so loving strong, and lightning spire is also insane

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
This league is the absolute tits. I'm having a lot of fun so far and can't wait to get back to my place to play on my PC. Sadly I failed on my mission to get my dad to play this game :negative:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Lightning spire trap is cool but between the damage range of lightning, the random aoes and my current crit chance I'm getting some very inconsistent results. Sometimes I throw three traps on top of a boss and it tickles them, sometimes it instantly deletes them.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm currently running my Spire in a 4L (Spire/Trap&Mine/CD/Pen) and I'm totally adding increased duration for my 5th link (and Efocus for 6th, using Arc for shocking). Just for giggles I ran it instead of Pen and the QoL was pretty great.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I just got through story mode and I'm looking to upgrade my equips and gems to get me to mapping, and would like some opinions. Character is ED trickster.

character link: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/danceofficer/characters

-I'm thinking of going Tabula for chest, or 5L cloak of defiance
-obviously need to grab a shield for shield charge
-thinking of getting a cheap +1 curse ammy/item to run dual curse despair/enfeeble
-max resists, obviously
-and I'm looking for ideas for a cheap weapon.
-get second blight jewel and clear mind

I got a lucky ex drop, so budget is about 65c.

edit: oh yeah and I'm obviously getting allelopathy gloves.

Dance Officer fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 4, 2018

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Vasudus posted:

It is absolutely astonishing at how powerful trappers are this league. I have zero desire to make something else and this character is going all the way to shaper probably. I'm gonna do Uber Atziri tonight I think.

Going CI to deal with the bullshit chaos damage was a good choice too. I have to credit Tarke Cat for that one.

Anything specifically that you are following? I'm going to roll a new character tomorrow after work.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MMF Freeway posted:

Lightning spire trap is cool but between the damage range of lightning, the random aoes and my current crit chance I'm getting some very inconsistent results. Sometimes I throw three traps on top of a boss and it tickles them, sometimes it instantly deletes them.

You definitely want to get increased AOE support on it, which increases the radius of the hits but does NOT increase the range in which it can hit. Higher AOE means less potential misses.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

please knock Mom! posted:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/killstealing/characters

So I've been doing summoner stuff and it's really cool. Skeletons are great when boosted, spectres are good as always, but I feel like I should be picking between the two: spectres require vis mortis/ullr, and going skeletons will let me keep a life chest (with +1 skele craft) and seven-league steps for movespeed. Anyone with experience wrt this choice? I can go phys advocate spectres, but then I'll still have to pick between using vis mortis/bones of ullr and not.

split down the middle and just wear ullr, not vis mortis. with flesh offering, haste & vaal haste, etc. move speed is not an issue and 3 spectres + loads of skellies (+ zombies too, probably) is very good. i would probably stick with solar guards in that situation and 6L the skeletons. that's what i did last league

on the other hand if you go for 6L spectres with vis mortis and ullr, you can now get phys advocates, slap summon phantasm on with a bunch of supports that will boost both the spectres and phantasms, and have a potentially really silly build that hasn't been previously possible.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

even without traps or totems i've been rolling face with an elementalist just self casting arc.

this is exactly the kind of build i love as a league starter too. barely any using other skills to level, simple, fun, strong.

havent had to buy any levelling items at all yet either, i'm not technically ssf but i've effectively been playing as such. just making use of vendor recipes is all you really need.

this is one of the most fun league starts i've ever had probably. it's definitely comparable to molten strike in terms of how enjoyable to me it is

e: i did get that new skeleton wand out of atzoatl one time so i feel like that's probably the second build i'm going to try. i've always meant to try skeletons but never got around to it before

SpruceZeus fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 4, 2018

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Zotix posted:

Anything specifically that you are following? I'm going to roll a new character tomorrow after work.

I'm following my own guide for the most part. It looks mostly like Tarke Cat's CI trapper build tree wise because uh, there's only so many ways to make a CI trapper.

If you pull my character in PoB you can see it (Vasudus/Vasudus_AyyyBlammo) but I basically follow a common tree layout and then make all the customization in gear choices. I managed to juggle my resistances just enough to fit an Essence Worm in, so now I have Wrath, Discipline, and a level 12 Vaal Clarity. My next upgrade is probably a 5L on my Incandescent Heart followed by a Clarity -cost Watcher's Eye.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

You're just using Arc? Or something else? I've seen some talk about Lightning Spire, and I'm not sure if I can fit that in with Arc. I'm a relatively new PoE player.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Just arc! Plus orb of storms as utility to proc elemental overload and arcane surge and to inflict blind.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Traps are so fun now. I'm doing bladefall ascendant trapper just to be a ~snowflake~ because everyone is playing arc sabo, and even with my barely-thought-out build it's so fun.

The advanced traps are a blast. I've only tried flamethrower myself but I've seen you guys raving about spire. I love my flaming murder pinwheel too much to switch I assume seismic is good too, but no one seems to be using it.

This is the first league mechanic I've ever hoped they just leave in wholesale. Like, Alva every zone, forever. Trying to build the temple you want is so much fun.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
Can I get a guild invite for AckbarMemorialTrapper please?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Question for the Fire Trappers out there - what auras/curses/triggered skills/etc are you using? I’m trying to figure out what other skills I should have in addition to my Fire & Flamethrower traps.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I started out a vaal double strike duder after getting some basic starter gear to use from my arc totem guy. The game immediately proceeds to give me a quicksilver flask at level 4 with extra charges and 30% extra run speed. Then at like level 7 gives me a tabula. At 15 I equip both of my bleed daggers and go to town. In a blink of an eye I'm like at +22 seconds left on the incursion with 2/3 of the mobs already dead.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I moved this weekend and won't have internet access until late this week after playing all of Friday. Reading this thread all I want to do is go home and sit at my computer :(

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

vaal double strike looks fun as hell with all the clones

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Anyone recommend an Atlas/Shaping guide? So many out there that worried I might pick a bad guide.

Something about stopping at tier 9 or 10 and shaping good layout maps or something?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Ultima66 posted:

I took someone's really well geared PotCG char from 3.1 and played around with it a bit. The stuff introduced in 3.2 and 3.3 is a massive gamechanger though so things will look very different.

Switching to crit Champion I got up to 2.6m or so dps. I think you should be able to get 2m dps with a Juggernaut sitting at ~8000 life, but the gear would be different enough from what the build I was playing with used that I didn't really bother messing with it more. Regardless, it seems nice.

Could I get a pastebin of that crit champion?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

McFrugal posted:

Could I get a pastebin of that crit champion?

I didn't keep it because I felt it was pretty off in terms of optimization. Sorry, I'm not really good with stat stacking builds.

Anyways, my Lightning Strike Deadeye is at red maps but it just feels "off" in terms of gearing. I bought a 320 pdps Imperial Claw yesterday to switch from pure ele scaling with a claw that had almost no damage on it (just aspd/crit/multi). It turns out even with all the phys claw nodes, you get so much WED/proj/lightning damage that Wrath still outperforms Hatred and Added Lightning Damage still outperforms all other supports. And my damage is just generally not quite there. The final goal would probably look like Mathil's pure cold ST character, just using Lightning Strike, but my gear isn't nearly good enough yet and at this point my damage is maybe 15% of his, 20% if we're being ambitious. I think I should sell the claw, reroll, and regear the character once I can afford much better stuff. LS is awkward to use for single target as well, because you have to position yourself in a way that your Ancestral Call hits the enemy but your main attack doesn't. Too far and no Ancestral Call, too close and your main melee attack hits which does worse damage than the projectiles. It's not very friendly on enemies that walk around/melee you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
I'm pretty sure it's quicker to farm a tabula than trying to buy one this league.