Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mango sentinel posted:

It's gonna be gamebryo with a layer of idtech over it because they refuse to abandon their 16 year old shithouse engine and will just continue slapping layer after of layer of wallpaper on top of its crumbling structure.

cover in a shooter what's that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I makes virtually Zero difference. The only post-game change I know of is if you do the Nukaworld DLC after beating the game you get one line extra line from Gage depending on what ending you got, that's it.

Here's what Gage has to say about all the groups, in case you're curious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6BYjRkeAro

Man, I know not everyone likes the Nukaworld DLC, but Porter Gage gets some great dialogue. He's arguably one of the best written companions.

I've never bothered to try to lead the raiders so his most memorable line for me is "Not like this..." as he dies.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

mango sentinel posted:

It's gonna be gamebryo with a layer of idtech over it because they refuse to abandon their 16 year old shithouse engine and will just continue slapping layer after of layer of wallpaper on top of its crumbling structure.

Even though both engines are written in C++, that's not how game engines work and I wager you know that. If BethSoft is smart, they will ditch their Gamebryo fork dating from 2002 and make like EA in using one engine for all of their games.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dragonshardz posted:

Even though both engines are written in C++, that's not how game engines work and I wager you know that. If BethSoft is smart, they will ditch their Gamebryo fork dating from 2002 and make like EA in using one engine for all of their games.

I dunno, Frost wasn't that good for DAI

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

As long as the game is not Metal Gear: Surive levels of bastardization I will buy it, play it, and bitch about it later.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

mango sentinel posted:

Hate to tell you this but that describes literally all software ever. All of it is terrible and built on ruins.

All of it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

8one6 posted:

I've never bothered to try to lead the raiders so his most memorable line for me is "Not like this..." as he dies.

Morally that was the right choice, but if you ever do another playthrough I recommend stringing them along for a while because Gage and the other raiders say some interesting/funny things and give you some cool gear.

Also, lessons in blood is one of the better companion given perks: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Lessons_in_Blood

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jun 4, 2018

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Hate to tell you this but that describes literally all software ever. All of it is terrible and built on ruins.

All of it.

It's a miracle most commercial software runs at all

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

It's a miracle most commercial software runs at all

Software is like some overly attached amateur Otaku's fanfiction of Frankenstein's monster that somehow, against all odds and logic, continues to work. Gamebyro is that Otaku fanfiction that got turned into his Waifu and he refuses to let go of it no matter what.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe

8one6 posted:

There's not really any post game beyond maybe finishing up a few quests you didn't do before the main quest ends. The DLC can be done really in any order. If I remember they don't impact the ending narration in any way.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I makes virtually Zero difference. The only post-game change I know of is if you do the Nukaworld DLC after beating the game you get one line extra line from Gage depending on what ending you got, that's it.

Here's what Gage has to say about all the groups, in case you're curious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6BYjRkeAro

Man, I know not everyone likes the Nukaworld DLC, but Porter Gage gets some great dialogue. He's arguably one of the best written companions.

Cool. I'll probably pick up the season pass next time it goes on sale. The teaser for 76 got me in a Fallout kinda mood, but I don't really want to play the main story again. I really enjoy the setting and gameplay, but I found the plot offensively bad

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

HatJudge posted:

I really enjoy the setting and gameplay, but I found the plot offensively bad

I started replaying FO4 this weekend, and found it's a lot better if you completely ignore the plot.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Otacon posted:

I started replaying FO4 this weekend, and found it's a lot better if you completely ignore the plot.

yeah it's very much a Bethesda game in the modern sense, in that you get a far more memorable experience treating it as a vehicle for exploration and emergent gameplay than anything approaching a story that's fit for purpose

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I used the "Start me up" alternate start mod to skip the pre-war tutorial sequence but could have started as a raider somewhere or a milliner or something, I didn't look to closely at the options.

Supposedly the mod author went though the rest of the game and removed some speech references to your son if you did a non-Vault 111 start.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Otacon posted:

Supposedly the mod author went though the rest of the game and removed some speech references to your son if you did a non-Vault 111 start.

That's extremely badass, and I wonder what the scenes with Kellogg and Shaun are like

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The most impprtant F4 mod is the Low INT voice mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnYl325Cd7w

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
The first time I started the game, around when it launched, I bounced off hard. The settlement building was clunky and not fun and I was disappointed, to say the least, that within the first hour or so I had already been handed a power armor and killed a deathclaw.
I tried again during christmas break and found that by ignoring everything and making a beeline to Fenway I was able to get into it. I'm on a console so I had to do my ignoring manually, without the aid of mods.
I hate it when games give an urgent quest - your child is kidnapped!! - and then peppers you with unrelated sidequests as if the urgency is of no consequence. Taking time off to help some whiny settlers build beds and plant potatoes is hands down ridiculous. That said, I might have felt differently had I realized that I'd been frozen an extra ten years after Kellogg took the kid.
I'd rather have a game where Detective Nick and I roam the Commonwealth, solving crimes and helping the downtrodden.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

dragonshardz posted:

1: Trees growing after a nuclear apocalypse makes total sense (see Chernobyl) so the nay-sayers are idiots. Plant life is remarkably hardy and it's unlikely in the extreme for 200 years to pass and for the various dead poo poo to still be standing and not covered in new growth. The only issue with "the world isn't dead brown" mods is that you wouldn't necessarily have foliage in the same places after 200 years - the trees around Sanctuary should be dead and decayed, and there should be new growth that's not in the exact same spots.

2: Don't use NMM or Vortex. Mord Organizer 2 is still better than both and the virtual file system lets you choose between conflicting mod files instead of having to be tediously careful with your installation order.

is this what i want: https://github.com/TanninOne/modorganizer/releases

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Neurolimal posted:

DoooOOON'T HAVE THE KEY

I watched Criken play the game with that mod a few months ago and it was absolutely hilarious.

Halser fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 4, 2018

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

This one: Mod Organizer 2

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HatJudge posted:

The first time I started the game, around when it launched, I bounced off hard. The settlement building was clunky and not fun and I was disappointed, to say the least, that within the first hour or so I had already been handed a power armor and killed a deathclaw.
I tried again during christmas break and found that by ignoring everything and making a beeline to Fenway I was able to get into it. I'm on a console so I had to do my ignoring manually, without the aid of mods.
I hate it when games give an urgent quest - your child is kidnapped!! - and then peppers you with unrelated sidequests as if the urgency is of no consequence. Taking time off to help some whiny settlers build beds and plant potatoes is hands down ridiculous. That said, I might have felt differently had I realized that I'd been frozen an extra ten years after Kellogg took the kid.
I'd rather have a game where Detective Nick and I roam the Commonwealth, solving crimes and helping the downtrodden.

Counterpoint: I don't give two fucks about a dumb baby when a game tells me I'm supposed to care about it in the first two minutes so loving around with potatoes and beds to spite the story is cool

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Thanks man.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Neurolimal posted:

If you can combine this with a dialogue randomizer mod I just might have an additional hour of fun with F4.

Without either one I don't see myself ever playing this stupid game.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

dragonshardz posted:

1: Trees growing after a nuclear apocalypse makes total sense (see Chernobyl) so the nay-sayers are idiots. Plant life is remarkably hardy and it's unlikely in the extreme for 200 years to pass and for the various dead poo poo to still be standing and not covered in new growth. The only issue with "the world isn't dead brown" mods is that you wouldn't necessarily have foliage in the same places after 200 years - the trees around Sanctuary should be dead and decayed, and there should be new growth that's not in the exact same spots.

lol at first I read the op as "glowing" instead of "growing." Yea anyone who thinks fallout will prevent new forests from cropping up has a very low INT. Gotta put more points into INT, folks.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

BarronsArtGallery posted:

lol at first I read the op as "glowing" instead of "growing." Yea anyone who thinks fallout will prevent new forests from cropping up has a very low INT. Gotta put more points into INT, folks.

This actually reminds me of when Yahtzee reviewed Deus Ex: HR and he said something along the lines of "don't give me that bullshit about designing your own character, this is your character, a stealthy hacker type who sneaks his way around everything and then you grab combat skills because holy poo poo that boss was hard".

I'm paraphrasing, ofc

I'm willing to bet 90% of players who play fallout pick the same stats for the first runthrough. At least before 4.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 4, 2018

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
After 200 years, the entire east coast should probably be well on it's way back to becoming nothing but forest again.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

dogstile posted:

This actually reminds me of when Yahtzee reviewed Deus Ex: HR and he said something along the lines of "don't give me that bullshit about designing your own character, this is your character, a stealthy hacker type who sneaks his way around everything and then you grab combat skills because holy poo poo that boss was hard".

I'm willing to bet 90% of players who play fallout pick the same stats for the first runthrough. At least before 4.

Luck 10, everything else 5.

loving 4, making me have to invest in Agility to level Explosives... :mad:

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
So if you install even one mod, achievements won't work on FO4, correct? Even the traditional dialogue options menu mod?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

HatJudge posted:

It's kind of funny that Shaun actually being in no danger at all should relax the usual tension between main quest and side quests, but because the main character doesn't actually know that it doesn't make any difference. Plus of course it turns out Shaun actually is in danger he has a terminal illness :ssh:

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So if you install even one mod, achievements won't work on FO4, correct? Even the traditional dialogue options menu mod?

Yes, same with the console commands, cause I don't know honestly.

Thankfully you can install a mod to re-enable achievements.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

There's a variety of achievement enablers on the Nexus. Some of them are F4SE plugins.

Also are we still sticking with Full Dialogue Interface now that Extended Dialogue Interface exists and is being maintained?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

2house2fly posted:

Plus of course it turns out Shaun actually is in danger he has a terminal illness :ssh:

Do you find that out before you're about to pop him and his organization? Or is it only when you show up for the final confrontation that he breaks the news?

Also, not only does John Fallout have little to no reaction to the fact that his son is alive and well, but he also doesn't seem to have any reaction to him being a 70 year old man who's lived his own life, has no connection to his father or dead mother and now heads up the local Boogyman organization that sends robots out to stalk the wastes and kill everyone. regardless of whether you actually agree with him or not - though I can see why he may want to keep that under wraps...

"Hey John, any luck finding you missing son? Such a terrible thing to have to go through."
"Heh, well funny you should ask..."

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Do you find that out before you're about to pop him and his organization? Or is it only when you show up for the final confrontation that he breaks the news?

You're told before you are locked into any ending

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I need a mod that changes the response to every question about your son post-revelation to be "I HAVE NO SON!"

bango skank fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 4, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Randaconda posted:

After 200 years, the entire east coast should probably be well on it's way back to becoming nothing but forest again.

Not necessarily. While the bombs would have had an immediate impact that would have killed off trees, the two hundred years since would see forests return, like you said. However, there's more than just fallout from the bombs poisoning America. Throughout the Commonwealth you can find toxic dumping grounds from prewar companies that have absolutely destroyed parts of the ecosystem. Mass Fusion's dump sites have posioned the groundwater so badly that entire lakes were declared unsafe for the public before the war even started. Even without the nukes, large swathes of the east coast would be irradiated like the Red Forest inside the Chernobyl exclusion zone, with nothing able to grow there.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

bango skank posted:

I need a mod that changes the response to every question about your son post-revelation to be "I HAVE NO SON!"

or even one where your character is in denial that old shaun is actually her son, makes it easier to shoot him in the face

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

HatJudge posted:

10 years? Dude, you're frozen an extra SIXTY years.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Arcsquad12 posted:

Not necessarily. While the bombs would have had an immediate impact that would have killed off trees, the two hundred years since would see forests return, like you said. However, there's more than just fallout from the bombs poisoning America. Throughout the Commonwealth you can find toxic dumping grounds from prewar companies that have absolutely destroyed parts of the ecosystem. Mass Fusion's dump sites have posioned the groundwater so badly that entire lakes were declared unsafe for the public before the war even started. Even without the nukes, large swathes of the east coast would be irradiated like the Red Forest inside the Chernobyl exclusion zone, with nothing able to grow there.

Yea but irl if everyone inside cities just vanished, it would only take a few years for everything, including streets, sidewalks, and buildings to be completely overrun by plant life to the point of looking like a forest in 20 years or so.

Preston Waters fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 4, 2018

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
honestly barren wastelands probably have a lot more to do with graphics budgets, especially on consoles, than any sort of lore or whatever

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Yea but irl if everyone inside cities just vanished, it would only take a few years for everything, including streets, sidewalks, and buildings to be completely overrun by plant life to the point of everything being nearly unrecognizable.

There was an old documentary "Life after people", maybe? that went over how fast things would overrun everything. I think it's on Youtube if you're interested

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

10 years? Dude, you're frozen an extra SIXTY years.

Good that you mentioned that, because otherwise he'd have had to find out by playing the game.