Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Fintilgin posted:

Honestly the daily ticks are slow enough now for me that I may end up having to give up on the game for a while, until I get a new computer.... maybe next year? It used to be the early game was fast, late game slow, but with 2.0 forward it feels like the game starts slow for me and gets slower. :smith:

I have a pretty beastly machine (i7 @3.4, 64 GB ram, m2 ssd) and both on large and huge Galaxy sizes the ticks slow so bad end game that I'll probably never get to finish a game :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

really queer Christmas posted:

Maybe just a coincidence, but it feels like the games slowdown becomes a thing for me whenever I open the L-gate or around mid-game (when I assume an AI has opened it).

Hum, maybe that could be it? I haven't really given it much thought but forcing a ship to travel to an intermediary system before getting back into the same gate to finish the trip could be throwing the AI for loop.

I've noticed the AI loves to order ships to constantly fly in circles now, issuing fleets new orders almost daily even if they're just sitting in orbit around a star. Enough fleets could bog it down considerably if that were the case.

There's been other examples posted in the thread where people have observed weird, contradicting behaviour from the AI since the 2.0 change so it could be a combination of factors all compounding on each other (the dancing sectors is my favourite).

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Maybe just a coincidence, but it feels like the games slowdown becomes a thing for me whenever I open the L-gate or around mid-game (when I assume an AI has opened it).

Same, I had no slow-downs in my game until I opened the L-gate.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Anybody have details on what to edit to allow me to go through an L-gate? I seem to have missed a flag in this game somehow, unless only one L-gate is ever supposed to be openable.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

ulmont posted:

Anybody have details on what to edit to allow me to go through an L-gate? I seem to have missed a flag in this game somehow, unless only one L-gate is ever supposed to be openable.

Are you on 2.1 or 2.1.1 beta? For the former, you need to find 7 L-gate insights after discovering the L-gates for the first time, then own an L-gate system and do the special project to open it. For the latter, they come more slowly and there's a research involved.

And no, if one L-gate is opened, all of them open shortly after.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ulmont posted:

event distar.13070
I had two games where the first L-gate discovery just never triggered so had to root around and find the event.

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
anyone have a good list of mid and end game cirisis? im wondering what i have experienced what i havent seen yet.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

CoolHandMat posted:

anyone have a good list of mid and end game cirisis? im wondering what i have experienced what i havent seen yet.

There's not that much.
-Fallen Empires can awaken, that can be pretty devastating but it isn't so much anymore because their AI has been really bad and they often get stuck and don't expand or do much. There is supposed to be a "war in heaven" where 2 fallen empires have a big war but it hasn't really been working so well with the new warscore system.
-Marauders get their khan mid game and go crazy conquering and getting tributaries then generally implode. Once again their AI can be really bad so sometimes they get stuck, other times they can take over half the galaxy before they implode. Sometimes they also don't implode which is terrifying.
-L-Gates allegedly have some really annoying enemies that swam out and never stop but on my 5th L-gate cluster now I only find empty ones :(
-Tyranids can show up end-game, if your empire is along the edge of the galaxy where they come in you can really get turbo hosed.
-Evil AI can show up, they spawn in 4 random systems and instantly take over that system, RIP if you get one spawning in you territory let alone a key system of yours.
-There used to be a crisis called the Unbidden, hyperspace energy monsters who eat all life. They spawn in a portal that spews them out and you gotta race to close it. Haven't seen them since 2.0 though.

That's about all there is.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Splicer posted:

Again the bolded bit leads to having a guy you don't want in the pool during research (because he's slowing you down with his low skill), but do want in the pool just as you finish the research (because he has a trait you want for the roll). But otherwise yeah.
Assuming by "pool" you mean your entire set of scientists including ones out exploring, yeah. Have the most likely roll result be "Nothing!" to reduce the benefit of going utterly hog wild on scientists, so the average number of cards is something like 2 + (total number of scientists / 3)

Getting math in there is kind of unnecessary imo. This stuff should be simple. x + number of scientists would be fine I think (it's entirely possible x should be 0) - if someone wants to spend all of their leader slots on scientists to pull more cards that's fine. They're losing out on other leaders.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
War in Heaven has a chance of happening when there are two different-ideology fallen empires. One awakens and then there's a dice roll and if it comes up snake-eyes its counterpart will wake up a few years later and they'll declare war on each other and try to bully the other empires into being vassals and support their war against the other. Anyone who does not become a vassal can join the 'League of Non-Aligned Powers' which is a temporary pseudo-federation but either way they'll have both empires at war with them at once.

This war is supposed to last until one side wins against the other, but the only time I've seen it since 2.0, something happened that caused one of the awakened empires in the war to become a vassal of its rival without that, like, ending the war or anything. This meant when I came in and defeated one of the awakened empires, I gained all of its vassals.. including the other awakened empire.

Did you know that you can't really do anything with an awakened empire vassal? There are no diplomacy options to release them, or integrate them, or anything.

Note that if this does happen to you, becoming a vassal of one side isn't really too bad because awakened empires get a stacking debuff that basically weakens their empire and ships over time so you'll eventually be able to rebel against them easily enough. And you'll get a bunch of systems given to you by them too. But yeah also various problems meant this has been basically a weak-as-piss crisis since 2.0. And I don't think the Unbidden has gone away? It's supposed to be the reason Jump Drive technology is red (a dangerous tech). Having Jump Drives does too much damage to space and so the universe's antibodies come out and try to cleanse everything.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The only slowdown I've noticed is on a system being newly claimed by an outpost in the late game, which seems to hang it up for a second or two. I'm guessing it's something related to pathing.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Baronjutter posted:

-There used to be a crisis called the Unbidden, hyperspace energy monsters who eat all life. They spawn in a portal that spews them out and you gotta race to close it. Haven't seen them since 2.0 though.

The Unbidden still exist, yes.

Fun fact, if the Unbidden are around long enough and expand far enough, eventually two additional factions of Unbidden show up. None of them are friendly to the others.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I have a fanatic Xenophile FE to my north that just woke up. They're called the Peacekeepers and they have - 200 relations with me because I've been a bit of a menace. I'm determined exterminators. I've never fought a fallen empire before. Are they liable to declare war on me if I keep eating civilizations?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Shadowlyger posted:

The Unbidden still exist, yes.

Fun fact, if the Unbidden are around long enough and expand far enough, eventually two additional factions of Unbidden show up. None of them are friendly to the others.

I had a game where galactic civilization only survived because the Aberrant and Vehement arrived and distracted the Unbidden long enough to let us tech up and build vast new fleets. Before that happened about 40% of the galaxy was eaten and none of us had done more than slow them down for however long it took them to wipe out our fleets.

It ruled, is my point.

e; ^^^ They are going to shove their entire fleet up your butthole.

Grammar-Bolshevik
Oct 12, 2017

Gyshall posted:

I have a pretty beastly machine (i7 @3.4, 64 GB ram, m2 ssd) and both on large and huge Galaxy sizes the ticks slow so bad end game that I'll probably never get to finish a game :smith:

I think the game has had a good run of content getting added in the last 6 months. An my comp is a decent 3 year old beast I get the same issues.

A lot of redundant processes strain the game, take tiles as an example, unnecessary as a mechanic, add needless variables, a system that could use one variable but instead divides that one variable into 10 to 25 variables, while also straining the player.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Gay Horney posted:

I have a fanatic Xenophile FE to my north that just woke up. They're called the Peacekeepers and they have - 200 relations with me because I've been a bit of a menace. I'm determined exterminators. I've never fought a fallen empire before. Are they liable to declare war on me if I keep eating civilizations?

You really don't want to antagonize them until you can defeat their primary fleet (or do some super sneaky shenanigans to slip around them and take their planets).

They'll push your poo poo in if you get in a fight unprepared.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
If they're equilivent in power or lower they'll tend to leave you alone from what I've noticed lately but if they think they can win they'll come after you.

If you get a message demanding you join their club that's usually a good indication they're about to come after you. As a machine empire I don't know if that impacts their options as it's been a while since I last played one. Spiritual AEs usually don't even give you the option, for instance, they'll just gently caress you up.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Black Pants posted:

Are you on 2.1 or 2.1.1 beta? For the former, you need to find 7 L-gate insights after discovering the L-gates for the first time, then own an L-gate system and do the special project to open it. For the latter, they come more slowly and there's a research involved.

Game was started on 2.1, is now on 2.1.1 beta. I have 7 insights and own an L-gate system, but there is no special project.

Baronjutter posted:

event distar.13070
I had two games where the first L-gate discovery just never triggered so had to root around and find the event.

I may just fire this and see how it goes.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
There are some fanatic xenophobes who are also a fallen empire who haven't woken up yet but according to some posts on this page the xenophiles waking up doesn't necessarily mean there's gonna be a war in heaven with the xenophobes.
Both of them border me.

Another massive empire just had a robot rebellion 🤖 so I wanted to declare war on them to help overthrow the organic menace but it sounds like these peacekeepers would punch my ticket. I do have 250k fleet power, how strong do FEs get after they awaken? I kinda wanted to fight them just to get my hands on their tech.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ulmont posted:

Game was started on 2.1, is now on 2.1.1 beta. I have 7 insights and own an L-gate system, but there is no special project.

I may just fire this and see how it goes.

Should work, it's the event that fires when you discover your first L-gate and then allows you to gather clues.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DatonKallandor posted:

Getting math in there is kind of unnecessary imo. This stuff should be simple. x + number of scientists would be fine I think (it's entirely possible x should be 0) - if someone wants to spend all of their leader slots on scientists to pull more cards that's fine. They're losing out on other leaders.
Oh, I meant like, each leader has a 1/3 chance of pulling a project per research complete.

Actually that could be neat. Each scientist spawns with a pet project. The card pull thing happens as normal, but you can also choose any scientist's pet project. If a scientist's pet project is researched then every month they have a chance to roll a new pet project.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Gay Horney posted:

Both of them border me.

I do have 250k fleet power.

They can't awaken if you kill them first.. and they should have 2-3 fleets of about 80k, with a significant tech advantage (that you can reverse engineer from the wreckage), so go for it, Tiger.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
My last game featured a Spiritual FE that kept waging war on my pacifist materialist Gekkos and not at all because I populated one of their gaia worlds and renamed it 'gently caress you' but bubbling one of their planets every time they did so was a fun time let me tell you.

Only afterwards did I realise that pacifists are still allowed to make claims while in a defensive war, whoops.

Anyway, they'd wage war like clockwork but not actually have any fleets to back it up because I destroyed them all the first time and I feel like this is an oversight as far as their behaviour goes.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Is the Shroud ever worth the cost? I’ve dialed 1-800-CHAOS a few times now, and it’s been pretty underwhelming even when it works.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I liked the run with my immortal god empress fox with the plus mineral trait and the deal with the +minerals/energy daemon.

Too bad about other games where I just got some +influence rolls though.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Vengarr posted:

Is the Shroud ever worth the cost? I’ve dialed 1-800-CHAOS a few times now, and it’s been pretty underwhelming even when it works.

The best shield and jump drive are only obtainable through the shroud. Some of the boons and pacts are also quite good. It's worth it if all your terraforming is done and you can spare the energy. Oh, and you can also trigger the hardest endgame crisis through one of the pacts.

If anything, I wish the biological and synthetic ascension paths had their own cool event chains to go along with their assorted stat bonuses.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Think of the shroud as literally calling the rng gods. If they favor you, the bounty will be sweet. If they do not, you get poo poo or worse, a curse.

I would like it better if the odds were a bit better thoug

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Vengarr posted:

the good pulls on the slot machine are EXTREMELY good pulls on the slot machine. 3000 energy to instantly learn living metal? don't mind if I do. +25% minerals and energy, forever, at the cost of some ethics attraction? eight types of yes. immortal rank 10 emperor? heeeelllll yes.

the mediocre results are profoundly mediocre, though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Think of the shroud as literally calling the rng gods. If they favor you, the bounty will be sweet. If they do not, you get poo poo or worse, a curse.

I would like it better if the odds were a bit better thoug

Or at least you’re eventually guaranteed getting a pact or other non generic event if you pull 3 or 4 generics in a row.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
So I forgot I had Bubbles tagging along with my fleets clearing up early game space monsters, ran into a bigger fleet then planned so I jumped them out. But Bubbles didn't get the message and jump into the system after I'd left and got wacked.
The scientist that discovered her ended up getting the substance abuse trait.
I'm playing a robot race.

I kinda wish that FE Holy worlds weren't marked and weren't always such obvious bait. I took one once, the FE swung by, burned my colony off the planet, then started pathing back through my empire, blowing things up on the way home. A neighbor saw my fleet drop to almost 0, and decided it was a good time to declare war. He jumped in a system that had the FE ships, and I'm assuming this was a bug, attacked them. Or maybe they didn't think it was right for anyone else to blow up my stuff. Either way, they vaporized that fleet, then headed into their systems and knocked them back a bit.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Vengarr posted:

It is, though it feels like they made the odds way worse in 2.0, feels much more common to just get nothing now.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

Or at least you’re eventually guaranteed getting a pact or other non generic event if you pull 3 or 4 generics in a row.

That’d be good. It’s incredibly frustrating to wait like 100 years before you finally get the event for psi jump drives/shields... and then fail it. then it not show up again.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

CitizenKain posted:

So I forgot I had Bubbles tagging along with my fleets clearing up early game space monsters, ran into a bigger fleet then planned so I jumped them out. But Bubbles didn't get the message and jump into the system after I'd left and got wacked.
The scientist that discovered her ended up getting the substance abuse trait.
I'm playing a robot race.

Running cyber_cocaine.exe

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Gyshall posted:

I know what you mean. Last year I’ve replaced my then five years old high end PC with a current high end one. Stellaris‘ performance
was pretty much the same, slowing down to a crawl on bigger maps in the late game.

If that does speak for or against the optimization of Stellaris I do not know. :v:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

Running cyber_cocaine.exe

If Bender taught us anything, it's that robots enjoy substance abuse as much, if not more than any given flesh sack.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jun 5, 2018

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Tarquinn posted:

I know what you mean. Last year I’ve replaced my then five years old high end PC with a current high end one. Stellaris‘ performance
was pretty much the same, slowing down to a crawl on bigger maps in the late game.

If that does speak for or against the optimization of Stellaris I do not know. :v:

Mine's going on seven now. No issues with stellaris late game while also casting steaming videos at the same time. Who the hell knows?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I think what the Shroud would most benefit from is more interesting fail/bad outcomes, and removing "they told us to gently caress off" almost completely. The good ones are amazing, the really bad outcome is some Chaos Gods cool poo poo, it's the ones which were labeled 'profoundly mediocre' that are the bad part.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Some things.

Why do we need a free leader slot to buy an L-gate insight? Did you guys just rewrite the 'hiring an enclave scientist' and forget to remove the leader pool requirements?

Please make it impossible for strategic resources to be overwritten by anomalies. I've had about a dozen seperate instances where I'll find a rare strategic resource deposit and in the same instant as finding it, I get an anomaly right on top of it. Bye bye 3 yurantic crystals, I really wanted that replaced with two engineering research instead.

The planet with the exofungus and the one with the carnivorous flora are boring. The idea is good and I was worried about colonising fungus world for a while the first time I found it, but ultimately there's no problem and they're just planets with easier to clear blockers.

Bitching aside, I am having fun with the new stuff and I still like the game. How many people have named their space friend Bubbles and then refused to send her on dangerous missions? :3:

Also I don't know if this one is new but it's the first time I saw it, there's a rather large object on that moon...

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
The fallen empire declared war on me. I hosed them up. They surrendered before I could take anything, which is fine because I have dark matter everything now. This is extremely bad news for the rest of the galaxy. I've machine world terraformed the 40 planets I currently have and I'm ready to go on a rampage.

It's 2425. How long do I have before the reapers show up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Gay Horney posted:

It's 2425. How long do I have before the reapers show up?

At least 25 years.

On the Shroud: even without winning the big ticket items, some of the riskier ordinary buffs are well worth it. The combat ones can be especially handy if you roll them during war.